Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Blew the engine!!! :-(

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:40 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ltdodge
i understand but Bob is a friend of mine and putting salt on the wound is uncalled for. not only did he post it once but in another other thread. him digging up a thread from 2 years ago to laugh at him is uncalled for and i don't regret with my previous statement.

I track the catastrophic LS7 engine failures on the forum, and when one occurs, I review the owner's prior posts to find any clues as to why the incident may have happened, obvious contributing factors, or prior engine issues, and other information.

The questions was asked as to what RPM the owner shifts at.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Sorry to see you join our club. How many track days do you think you had on her? Mine went with 87K and 30+ track days.

What oil?
Do you short shift or let her wind out to 7K

DH
The answer to that was in one of the prior posts made by the owner.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Mine is stock 2006 (except for a Killer Bee intake and a Halltech tune), and I dangerously ran up to 6,500 to 6,800 RPM regularly, and bumped off the rev-limiter once (after getting slowed down a little bit by another car, I was real close to the brake zone for the Bus Stop, and I just kept my foot in it and ran it up in 4th gear to 160 mph and an instant before braking it bounced off the rev-limiter).

Sometimes I'll shift into 5th early (around 6,000 RPM), but most of the time I would run 3rd and 4th up to in excess of 6,500.

It was also asked what motor oil he used and this is also in the thread if one reads it.

Anyone looking at the first post in the thread, can't help but see the irony in this particular instance, and in how the threads are titled. Irony and twist happen all the time.

However because "irony" and "twists" are NOT the same thing as "Karma", I want to say that it's not appropriate that someone would use that thread to take the opportunity to voice how they are not "sympathetic" to the owner's plight and "take delight" in his misfortune because of the thread.

That someone else unfortunately saw fit to take the opportunity to do that, I want to make clear though, that wasn't my purpose for referencing the old thread, and am disappointed that someone would take my efforts to gather information on another LS7 failure, same as I have done now for some time, to rub salt into this guy's wounds.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-06-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:49 AM
DaOtherOne
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 137 Posts

Bummer.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
wolf8218
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is stock 2006 (except for a Killer Bee intake and a Halltech tune), and I dangerously ran up to 6,500 to 6,800 RPM regularly, and bumped off the rev-limiter once (after getting slowed down a little bit by another car, I was real close to the brake zone for the Bus Stop, and I just kept my foot in it and ran it up in 4th gear to 160 mph and an instant before braking it bounced off the rev-limiter).

Sometimes I'll shift into 5th early (around 6,000 RPM), but most of the time I would run 3rd and 4th up to in excess of 6,500.
So how is any of what Bob said he's done with his engine, aside from accidentally hitting the rev limiter, got to do with the failure? He's just doing what the car was engineered to do well.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:08 AM
ltdodge
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Quick...what you do here is fine. i have no issues with you. my rant was for Kllrvett for his sarcastic remarks....
Old 10-06-2013, 10:20 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wolf8218
So how is any of what Bob said he's done with his engine, aside from accidentally hitting the rev limiter, got to do with the failure? He's just doing what the car was engineered to do well.
In reviewing the prior post to see if there are any clues as to what may have contributed to this incident, the answers to other questions in this thread, were found.

Those questions being what RPM the owner shifts at and what oil he uses.

So in reviewing the prior posts, the answers to those questions were found.

hey Quick...what you do here is fine. i have no issues with you. my rant was for Kllrvett for his sarcastic remarks....
Yes, I understand, and thank you.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:27 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TWO years ago Bob said: "I've got around 41,000 miles on it and around 35 track days."

Is it fair to say the car hasn't been sitting around getting waxed since then? I'm curious as to the total mileage and track days/hours at this point in time. Also curious is any, even ONE, 'fixed' engine has anywhere near similar usage?

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
TWO years ago Bob said: "I've got around 41,000 miles on it and around 35 track days."

Is it fair to say the car hasn't been sitting around getting waxed since then? I'm curious as to the total mileage and track days/hours at this point in time. Also curious is any, even ONE, 'fixed' engine has anywhere near similar usage?

Cheers, Paul.
His prior posts indicate nearly 50K miles on the car and around 60 track hours.

2006 with about 47,500 miles - a lot of it on the track. Completely stock except for a Killer Bee intake and a tune. Tune has been on the car for 35,000 miles and all previous track time.

My 2006 has 45,000 miles on it, about 5,000 of them on the track - probably around 60 hours of hard track running.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
The LS7, a "racing engine" not meant for racing.
At the very least not meant for 7K rpm.

Last edited by QUAKEJAKE; 10-06-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Wulverine
Le Mans Master

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

How many people that race the LS7, properly maintain it as a race engine?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
His prior posts indicate nearly 50K miles on the car and around 60 track hours.
Thanks.

Now what was Jason's conversion factor for track hours to street miles...wasn't it something like a thousand to one. So maybe what we have here with Bob is another example of what is effectively a 100,000+ mile car, which in my mind isn't really a good example of a bad engine.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:27 AM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sorry for your loss. Your honesty about how you have driven your Z is refreshing. You really dont sound very shocked this happened. What percentage of the miles on your odometer would you say have been track miles? And at a high speed(hi-banked) track like Daytona. It kind-of seems like you had a hell-of a LS7 under the hood. Again, very sorry to hear this happened. Considering this happened at high speed it is a blessing you and your Z are in one piece. Ready for another day
Old 10-06-2013, 11:46 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks.

Now what was Jason's conversion factor for track hours to street miles...wasn't it something like a thousand to one. So maybe what we have here with Bob is another example of what is effectively a 100,000+ mile car, which in my mind isn't really a good example of a bad engine.

Cheers, Paul.
24hrs of Le Mans was equivalent to over 100,000 street miles.

But he also indicated that around 30hrs of track time is about where they draw the line before they start recommending maintenance. This car had in the neighborhood of 60hrs of track time on it.

This car was overdue for engine maintenance and refreshening.

The owner had even alluded in another post that he had planned to do so.

I'm certainly not saying that it's the sign of a bad engine. But I think that it is a sign of two wide of an interval for an engine teardown based on how it was being used.

Thus advocates of "The Fix", cannot, and really should not, point to this instance as being an indictment of the stock parts.

Any more than advocates of the opposite position, should point to the case of forum member 1stZ's SS valve failure.

Both cars had a lot of track demands put on them, and with what appears to possibly be too wide of a maintenance interval.

Anything failing in here, with more than about 30-40 track hrs on it, I don't think you can point the finger at the parts, be they parts used in "The Fix", or stock.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578777047

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578799214

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578517527

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578637617

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:50 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I honestly hate to read that someone lost a motor. I also hate it when someone mocks those of who have, his old thread was a indirect poke at those of us who have... Me included.

I spent a year affording to rebuild mine, and did a lot of work myself, so I took it very personal when people mocked the idea of a problem with the LS7. So, stick up for him all you want....it appears karma may have caught up to him and a few others
Old 10-06-2013, 02:56 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KLLRVET
I honestly hate to read that someone lost a motor. I also hate it when someone mocks those of who have, his old thread was a indirect poke at those of us who have... Me included.

I spent a year affording to rebuild mine, and did a lot of work myself, so I took it very personal when people mocked the idea of a problem with the LS7. So, stick up for him all you want....it appears karma may have caught up to him and a few others
With 50,000 miles AND 60 track hours I really don't think it was karma that caught up to him.

Interesting approach though, when you feel someone has indirectly mocked you, then mocking them directly is somehow the solution...well I guess as long as it makes YOU feel better

Cheers, Paul.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:06 PM
Gene Gorman
Drifting

Bob it was good to see you and your wife at Daytona Friday on the grid. Too bad about your engine on Saturday. When I saw all the oil allover your Z06 it made me sick. Your wife is great she seemed to just take it all in stride. Glad also that you were able to get the ZR1 out on the track later that day. It looked sweet on the grid and out on the track you were passing a bunch of fast "P" cars. I'm know when the Z is back together it will be better than ever.

Best of everything to you guys, Gene

Last edited by Gene Gorman; 10-06-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 PM
KLLRVET
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With 50,000 miles AND 60 track hours I really don't think it was karma that caught up to him.

Interesting approach though, when you feel someone has indirectly mocked you, then mocking them directly is somehow the solution...well I guess as long as it makes YOU feel better

Cheers, Paul.
Paul

If you skew it enough, you can slant the POV in any favor you want yours included.

Now, let me be honest. I think it sux that he lost a motor for what ever reason. I've been through it, and I was really disappointed as this was a dream car for me for sure. I really stuck my neck out to get mine. And then to have to replace the motor???!!!?, well that was another story for sure.

I can also say if he was closer to me, I'd lend a hand on the repairs to the best of my ability.

OP, sorry your motor blew, and hopefully you'll be up and running soon.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:59 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

It's very core is the product of racing but a kick *** street motor it is first and foremost, not so much the race aspect.

Get notified of new replies

To Blew the engine!!! :-(

Old 10-06-2013, 07:11 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

It is telling that GM builds street motors but they go to Katech when they want a race motor and definitely don't use many stock parts in it.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be interested in any examples of "racing engines" that are meant to be "raced" for ~5,500 miles -- the equivalent of 11 Daytona 500's or 2.5 Daytona 24 Hours -- with nary an inspection, apparently not even just cracking the valve covers open and maybe checking valve spring pressure (or, um, valve stem wiggle) and, to boot, anywhere from 1 to 3 quarts low on oil (depending on what model year you compare it to) (the OP stated somewhere that he raced the car with 7 quarts in it due to PCV oiling issues).

I would assume no used oil analysis program either.

It simply doesn't sound like a wise way to operate a "racing engine".
Old 10-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
It is telling that GM builds street motors but they go to Katech when they want a race motor and definitely don't use many stock parts in it.
A list of the non stock parts used, and perhaps the reason why, would lend your point credibility.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Blew the engine!!! :-(