Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valvetrain noise on my 06.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound of piston slap.

http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm
Old 09-27-2013, 01:55 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you've come over to this board to get some serious advice-- hopefully you'll take it :-)-- I was going to post yesterday- but that thread on BnG blew up in your face-- You need to get the guides checked out asap. It won't be cheap, but its' cheaper than blowing a motor! Consider just doing the guides/valves/heads instead of paying for check. I went WCCH Stage2 route with a cam...
Old 09-27-2013, 02:04 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD_TCR
Glad you've come over to this board to get some serious advice-- hopefully you'll take it :-)-- I was going to post yesterday- but that thread on BnG blew up in your face-- You need to get the guides checked out asap. It won't be cheap, but its' cheaper than blowing a motor! Consider just doing the guides/valves/heads instead of paying for check. I went WCCH Stage2 route with a cam...
Im taking it in to the shop that did my AC system. He recommends that I wait a few weeks before making another claim to let things calm down. He said he's dealt with these companies for decades. I take his word on it. I was recommended to him by people on here so I trust him. He said my valves are more than likely bad.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

No sound at work. But I will listen later and tell you what I think. You can also search my posts, I have posted video that you can compare to.

DH
Old 09-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Joshua Detwiler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 07 sounded the exact same, from inside the car it sounds like it is coming from the lower passenger side of the motor. I had my heads done at WCCH and all my intake valve guides were worn out of spec, so replaced them all, my rocker arms my lifters as well. I got the car back and the noise was still there......... Im adding headers soon and that should rule out the exhaust leak ( I kind of thought maybe on the exhaust leak) The last possibility and this seems far fetched is that there is an o-ring lose in the dry sump oil pump and that is causing the tick here is the service bullet number so you can look up yourself: 08-06-01-019: Rattle/Tapping Type Noise Heard Under Hood (Diagnose and Replace Engine Oil Tank Transfer Tube Seal (O-Ring)) - (Aug 13, 2008). Keep in touch and send me a PM if you figure anything else out
Old 09-27-2013, 09:35 PM
MattZ28
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like any other LSx engine I've ever heard?
Old 09-27-2013, 09:55 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

I have Stage II WCCH heads on my car. I get the ticking sound above 2k RPM as well. Had it with the old heads and with the new. Some guys have loud valvetrain, some don't. It's interesting the differences between cars.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:10 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

All z06 motors tick a little but this one sounds like a light knock.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:18 PM
TheDingo
Melting Slicks

Excuse the side bar... is there something with the LS7 lifters that make them tick? What is making the ticking. I obviously pay close attention to that stuff. Pulled the valve covers a couple times, checked everything is good but ticking is still there.. idk.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:03 AM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had noisy piston slap in an 02 ls1 trans am, but it almost went away when warmed up. Was noisy though. My z06 has more of a metal ticking noise. My ta had a sloppier sounding metallic noise indicating it was a larger piece of metal banging around. Not that different sounds means there's different problems, cause I don't believe that is true either. Guess lifters are another part that could make the noise in the op's vid. But most lifter noise I've heard in a ls engine has a different unique sound. I will have a top local shop go into mine about a year from now either way to see what's up.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:06 AM
spicytuna
Le Mans Master

Doesn't sound too different from my LS7.

I had the heads done in June and if anything, the engine is louder since then.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Well for what its worth after listening to your 2 videos I don't hear anything unusual !!! And I have listened to my car with 2 different motors and 2 different head setups on this motor. And like I said search for my video in this section where my buddy and I compare my WCCH to his stock motor using a sound meter (sorry I'm too lazy to find it)

I'm not saying you shouldn't pull your valve covers and do a wiggle test or just go for it and get your heads rebuilt like myself and others.

But I don't hear anything that would alarm me to the point I would be afraid to drive the car.

DH
Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 AM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Just remember guys there must always be ticking injectors and if there is no injector ticking I would suggest the engine is not running or someone has nicked them.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valvetrain noise on my 06.