Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Trick to remove factory battery? And Battery Tender question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM
thisismyusername
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trick to remove factory battery? And Battery Tender question.

Hi folks,

The stock battery is dead (Battery Tender got unplugged over the winter). I want to replace the stock battery and was wondering if there are any tips/tricks on getting the stock one out of the rear cubby hole. Want to try to do this on my own, because bringing to someone will involve towing, which obviously is a pain.

Also, I'm pretty sure the answer to this next question is yes, but if I get a replacement battery and don't install immediately, can I connect the new battery to the Battery Tender to keep it charged?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 08:41 PM
miwitte
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two vise grips one on each terminal and just pull straight up. I have heard duct tape one each side t make handle. I used the vise grips took a minute. Just don't lose the nut for the terminals is special and non-orderable.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:02 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thisismyusername
Hi folks,

The stock battery is dead (Battery Tender got unplugged over the winter). I want to replace the stock battery and was wondering if there are any tips/tricks on getting the stock one out of the rear cubby hole. Want to try to do this on my own, because bringing to someone will involve towing, which obviously is a pain.

Also, I'm pretty sure the answer to this next question is yes, but if I get a replacement battery and don't install immediately, can I connect the new battery to the Battery Tender to keep it charged?

Thanks!
First off, you can use the Battery tender to keep the new battery charged.

I use the following technique for battery removal.

Originally Posted by extents
Since you already bought the strap that's fine, but all you need is a roll of duct tape. It's even less obtrusive then the strap itself. Make a mock-up handle out of tape and three strips down each side of the battery will definitely hold it and not come off. It will be plenty strong enough not to snap. The strap you bought could slide around and complicate things.

Take the positive cable and pull it out and up and over the top of the edge of the compartment. I know, it only comes out a bit, but it will give a little. As you wiggle the battery up and out with your left hand keep your other hand on the positive battery terminal to keep it out of the way.

To get the battery out you will need one hand on the positive cable to keep it out of the way and your other on the battery strap lifting the battery out. I stood on the passenger side of the car to accomplish this. I have a feeling that using the battery strap may require both hands, so just create a mock-up handle out of duct tape. Soooo much easier. You can put the new battery in the same way.

Originally Posted by mark1107
Guys its very very easy ! i struggled the other way too. but you have to do it this way. Just lift the black plastic frame surrounding the battery and then the battery lifts right out! No problems or scratches.

Only thing I would add to that, is after you lift the plastic frame up, you can tuck the positive cable underneath it, and the carpet, to get it out of the way.

You can use two pieces of duct tape, each about a foot long, and slap them onto the sides of the battery real good, or you can use 3 pieces on each side as suggested in the prior post, and lift it up using the tape as handles.

Other alternative below, and shows the plastic frame being lifted up, its a snap fit. But I would not lift the battery out by the posts unless I was using a strap, such as the one below.

Below the plastic frame is lifted off it's snap fasteners. He can now shove the positive cable beneath it to gain a little more room for the battery to come out.

Apply the tape, and just lift up evenly on the ends of the tape.

Don't forget to disconnect that vent hose going to the battery.

Or you can go this route:
Originally Posted by nzk

$4 strap at Oreilly. Makes it a snap and no bruised knuckles. The guy at GM who designed this battery enclosure should be shoved into one.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-11-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:06 PM
z10
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a battery strap.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Sometimes the frame doesn't like coming out of the carpet. Mine are glued into the carpet. I pulled the back carpet off the rear wall and then lifted the trunk compartment floor carpet off the floor which took the frame along with it. Then there was plenty of room to remove the battery.

Bill
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by miwitte
Two vise grips one on each terminal and just pull straight up. I have heard duct tape one each side t make handle. I used the vise grips took a minute. Just don't lose the nut for the terminals is special and non-orderable.
I used the vise grips (new battery has a handle ).

However, the duct tape route is recommended if you have friends or family members watching... one forum member went that route, and while pulling up hard on the battery the duct tape broke and he sucker punched himself in the face (man, where's YouTube when you need it ).
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 PM
H82BFST
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like miwitte said, two vise grips make it extremely easy.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Battery Removal Tips

I did this yesterday at the local Autozone. In retrospect, wish I had done the two Visegrips method. I did the duct tape method and it worked OK, though it was a PITA to feed the duct tape down into the small spaces and stick it on the sides of the battery. I bought a Duralast Gold battery that uses the same vent tube connector as the OEM battery. The Duralast battery comes with a nice permanent handle; next time will be much easier.

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I used the vise grips (new battery has a handle ).

However, the duct tape route is recommended if you have friends or family members watching... one forum member went that route, and while pulling up hard on the battery the duct tape broke and he sucker punched himself in the face (man, where's YouTube when you need it ).
Old 08-12-2013, 02:55 AM
jnv255
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

used some channel locks and pulled it out... it was the closet thing I could grab. as someone else stated, the new one came with a handle on it..
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought a AutoZone Duralast as a replacement for mine. The Delco went dead a couple weeks ago just before I left on vacation. The Duralast has a nice little handle built into the top of the battery which makes installation & removal so much easier... GM should take note. I used vice grips as described above to get the stock battery out. What a PITA that was.

U.M.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:17 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

When you're lifting the battery by it's posts, the battery will tilt to the other side and the positive cable will push the battery under the plastic lip. Use a couple of brass shims(pick up at a hardware store) that are ~.03 thick by 2" wide and 12" long. Insert the two shims vertically between the battery and the plastic lip on the opposite side from the posts, spaced about 6" apart. If you have them, you can use a couple of 12" long steel rulers, etc. That will keep the battery from getting hung up under the lip when you are lifting.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
When you're lifting the battery by it's posts, the battery will tilt to the other side and the positive cable will push the battery under the plastic lip. Use a couple of brass shims(pick up at a hardware store) that are ~.03 thick by 2" wide and 12" long. Insert the two shims vertically between the battery and the plastic lip on the opposite side from the posts, spaced about 6" apart. If you have them, you can use a couple of 12" long steel rulers, etc. That will keep the battery from getting hung up under the lip when you are lifting.
Another thing that works are a couple of those flat wood or plastic paint stir/mix sticks. Drop 2 in and you won't catch the battery on the rear edge.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
crAzy
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My stock battery has a hidden handle on it. Gotta look for it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
I bought a AutoZone Duralast as a replacement for mine. The Delco went dead a couple weeks ago just before I left on vacation. The Duralast has a nice little handle built into the top of the battery which makes installation & removal so much easier... GM should take note. I used vice grips as described above to get the stock battery out. What a PITA that was.

U.M.
Did you ever weigh the AutoZone Duralast?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRA95

I haven't, but I have one of the older ones without the handle. Actually it's my second one. The Delco went bad. Replaced it with the Duralast, and then less than a year later, it went bad, but it was still under warranty so they gave me another one. This one has held up good.

But no, I nave never weighed it.

is it significantly heavier than the Delco?
Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

is it significantly heavier than the Delco?
Yes, that's what I would like to know. Heavier or lighter?

Mine is a little over 5 years, Looking to replace it before it craps out.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Duralast 90 DLG weighs ~30 lbs. I believe the AC Delco weighs around 36-37 pounds.

Get notified of new replies

To Trick to remove factory battery? And Battery Tender question.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:33 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Duralast 90 DLG weighs ~30 lbs. I believe the AC Delco weighs around 36-37 pounds.
Thanks much!
Old 08-13-2013, 05:42 AM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

No. If i were concerned about weight I'd personally go on a diet. I could stand to lose a few!

U.M.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Yes, you can hook the battery tender up to a mon-installed battery and it will be fine.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Trick to remove factory battery? And Battery Tender question.