Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Heads and Torquer going on tomorrow...

Old 07-28-2013, 08:08 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heads and Torquer going on tomorrow...

Car gets torn down tomorrow at QMS. Getting WCCH Stage II heads with brass guides/SS valves and a Torquer 110 installed. Hadn't heard many horror stories about 2009's blowing up, but since it just went out of warranty last month and I was nervous driving it- figured might as well bite the bullet. Excited about the new power and sound, but still sucks to pay a lot of $ for something that may happen. No headers at this point. I'm going to let my wallet recover and then install them myself early next year (and eventually a FAST intake) and look forward to more gains.

Sure hope I made the right call with the WCCH Stage II heads-- mine havent let me down yet but I'm trading them out with some already built for the time factor instead of sending mine in. Part of me wants to have my actual heads rebuild, but probably not much difference after a stage II job anyways...I hope.

KaTech Torquer 110 cam choice was fairly straight fwd'd and what I wanted from driveability, dyno sheets, people on here and shop recommendations.

All in all I just want it to be worry proof and a lot of fun. Think she'll be most of the way there with these first rounds...
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Lethal427
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, good move, I'm sure you know you'll love the cam and head combo!!! too fun to drive!!!congrats!! post the results, even though the driving experience is really where it's at!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Lethal427
Good luck, good move, I'm sure you know you'll love the cam and head combo!!! too fun to drive!!!congrats!! post the results, even though the driving experience is really where it's at!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 09:29 PM
lilredvette05
Racer

Hey congrats, I'm assuming that QMS is quality motorsports in lewisville... I'm sure you will be very happy with the power and sound. My car is actually their now getting work done.
Oh and can't go wrong with WCCH heads they flow pretty good and looked great on my car
Old 07-28-2013, 11:25 PM
billybadd
Advanced

Congrats! Same combo I'm looking into.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:25 AM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Yep Quality Motorsports- I looked at a bunch of good shops, and got quotes pretty much in the same ballpark- none of them were going to be a bad choice. But, Patrick was the one I trusted to see the job completely thru the right way the first time and be there in the future.

We'll see what happens. Baseline was a lousy 444 rwhp. I'll update the thread as I get more info. I know I read this forum daily and sometimes hourly for the last year as my warranty was running out - trying to decide on what I wanted and wished for more posts on people finally pulling the trigger.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Awesome. You have a well proven combo there

Don't forget to add yourself to the SS valve list.

DH
Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Awesome. You have a well proven combo there

Don't forget to add yourself to the SS valve list.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...st-valves.html

DH
Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know what you think of your new power! Also, post a dyno graph.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:43 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah it's tuff to cough up the cash for what your having done. But being able to sleep at night and not living in fear of the possible $15000.00 valve drop every time you drive the car is worth every penny.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Car is back home-- took only a few days. Made 520 rwhp on the dyno. I'll post the graph soon. So far first impressions is that it's great to know the valve guide wear is no longer there when i press the throttle. The torquer cam comes on strong. Can't decide on the idle. Shakes a bunch and a little hesitation at times. Patrick said to bring back anytime to adjust idle RPM if need be-- he also took care of everything from washing car to full tank of gas to get it right. Strongly recommend their shop to anyone looking for the right comfort level...
Old 07-31-2013, 05:41 PM
lilredvette05
Racer

Congrats, glad everything worked out ok. Can't wait to get mine back
Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD_TCR
Car is back home-- took only a few days. Made 520 rwhp on the dyno. I'll post the graph soon. So far first impressions is that it's great to know the valve guide wear is no longer there when i press the throttle. The torquer cam comes on strong. Can't decide on the idle. Shakes a bunch and a little hesitation at times. Patrick said to bring back anytime to adjust idle RPM if need be-- he also took care of everything from washing car to full tank of gas to get it right. Strongly recommend their shop to anyone looking for the right comfort level...
You made a great choice !! In my talks with Patrick, I felt confident with him.

I'm having the same thing done at another shop.... any chance you can post that dyno graph ?

Thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 PM
lawman34203
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I am getting the same set up except for the Torquer 115 (for future procharger install). Hoping to drop the car off at the shop next week. Got the WCCH stage II heads hidden in the garage from the wife.

Side note, will be selling my stock heads after the swap with about 5500 miles on them, off a 2009, if anyone is interested.....
Old 08-15-2013, 04:35 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Dyno sheet- put about 200 miles so far. Everything working great. Drives just like stock, doesnt surge unless ur about 1200 rpm in 5th or 6th-- torque is there, sound is there-- getting about 500% more attention from wanna be racers, admirers and random people at gas stations. Speaking of gas-- sucks it about 1-2 mpg more in city- and I put my foot into it more. Seriously worried about tire life now. It's already bad (4 sets in 25k miles), how worse is it going to be...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:04 PM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, nice gain!

Now, after you add headers, and Fast intake, the gains will be much greater!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgive my ignorance, but how this setup affect your gas mileage? I daily drive mine 3.5 miles each way in street traffic stop and go, before the car warms , and my gas mileage is about 11 MPG.

How much did this cost?

Reliability as compared to A&A supercharger with conservative boost?

When my GMPP expires in less than four years, I"m thinking of either doing head/cam like you or head/valve work only plus A&A. Since mines a daily driver and i'm concerned about gas mileage, I"m leaning towards the A&A.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads and Torquer going on tomorrow...

Old 08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

How is the idle and very low rpm manners? I wonder about that on a 110 lobe separation cam. It is no secret why GM uses 116-117 in its performance cars.

My LS2 402 had the same cam in it (Texas Speed Torquer) with both 112 and than dropped to 114 degree lobe separation. Lots a fair bit of hp going to 114 from 112 but picked up a lot of drivability.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Beach Bum
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for sharing the graph Bad_TCR !

Your dyno graph is par for the course for the Torquer and Ported Heads. Each one I have seen is very similar, gets right around 480 ftlbs and up around 520 rwhp and they all seem to have 400 ftlbs down as low as 2000 rpm....it all goes up somewhere around 20 peak HP with some fairly impressive torque gains below the peaks if you add headers to the recipe.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM
BAD_TCR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Beach Bum

Your dyno graph is par for the course for the Torquer and Ported Heads. Each one I have seen is very similar, gets right around 480 ftlbs and up around 520 rwhp and they all seem to have 400 ftlbs down as low as 2000 rpm....it all goes up somewhere around 20 peak HP with some fairly impressive torque gains below the peaks if you add headers to the recipe.
Yep - headers going on within the year! Gotta save up my pennies again, and then gives me something to do in the winter months myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Heads and Torquer going on tomorrow...