Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My WCCH-X heads and cam results

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default My WCCH-X heads and cam results

All, wanted to share my cars numbers after the round of mods being completed.
I went with Carlos' WCCH-X heads and after much deliberation I went ahead and did a cam also. Final numbers on my car were 562/505. The guys at Redline Motorsports in Pompano did an amazing job. I was kind of skeptical on the cam piece mostly because I had a cammed C5 and it was a bit tempermental, and the power level of the Z is so good, I really didn't want to do a cam and affect drivability. I am very glad I changed my mind and went with a cam. Having finally had a chance to drive the car around on Sunday it is seriously amazing how this car feels. Start it up you have a noticable lope, get on it you know it has more power. Driving around on the roads, highway or anywhere else the car feels exactly the same to me as it did before the round of mods. I seriously could not be more happy with this car.

Full list of mods;
WCCH-X Heads, BT Springs, 11.8 CR
Redline Motorsports 3Z Cam
J Formato ported intake and TB
Halltech KB
Trunion upgrade
Kooks 1-7/8 O/R
Borla catback
Elite catch can
Old 07-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Nice numbers and very similar to mine with similar mods. I think the limiting factor for us is using a ported intake manifold and tb rather than a fast setup.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lawdogg
Nice numbers and very similar to mine with similar mods. I think the limiting factor for us is using a ported intake manifold and tb rather than a fast setup.
And I am fine with that. The juice is not worth the squeeze on the FAST to me as I am not searching for every last HP. I now have a car I don't feel I have to worry about anymore and it makes power, sounds great and is a blast to drive.
I see myself needing a clutch and tires long before I decide to get a FAST.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Sounds like a really mild cam. Good results.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben01C5
And I am fine with that. The juice is not worth the squeeze on the FAST to me as I am not searching for every last HP. I now have a car I don't feel I have to worry about anymore and it makes power, sounds great and is a blast to drive.
I see myself needing a clutch and tires long before I decide to get a FAST.
Good deal!!!

Man, funny, I remember you from our LS1 days - those were some good 'ol racing times.

I agree! In terms of ROI, save for a clutch kit and later as your itch gets more intense then jump into a FAST kit for that extra 12 to 15 or so ponies.

Thank you for allowing us to serve you

Carlos
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Just wanted to toss a little update here. Took the car from Boca Raton to Sarasota to visit my folks. Car ran great, and Avg'ed 24 mpg. I noticed I do have some drone that wasn't nearly as pronounced as it is now when cruising between 65-75mph in 6th. No surging no nothing though and that is what is most inportant to me.
I am really liking the cars manners and how similar it is to stock when cruising. I was lucky enough to run into a new Shelby which gave me my first opportunity to test some of the midrange capabilities of the car. At the top side of second the car starts to get squirrelly, which I partially contribute to the wearing Nitto's I have on the rear. Still fun and slightly startling at first as I wasn't expecting it to start walking side to side as I tried to stay in the throttle. 3rd gear is just a freight train. The car stopped spinning, and just pulled like crazy.

Loving this car again!!
Old 08-02-2013, 11:27 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

I am really liking the cars manners and how similar it is to stock when cruising. I was lucky enough to run into a new Shelby which gave me my first opportunity to test some of the midrange capabilities of the car. At the top side of second the car starts to get squirrelly, which I partially contribute to the wearing Nitto's I have on the rear. Still fun and slightly startling at first as I wasn't expecting it to start walking side to side as I tried to stay in the throttle. 3rd gear is just a freight train. The car stopped spinning, and just pulled like crazy.

Loving this car again!!
Have you changed out the OEM shocks (known for squirrelly rear end)? It could also be an alignment issue (toe out either front or rear)? My NT-05's only have 2/32nd left and I don't have stability issues running Bilstein Sport shocks (stock LS7).

I'm glad you are happy with your build.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
azZ06Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Nice numbers very close to mine as well! I went with a ported ls7 intake also as the minimal gain of a fast cost too much!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:22 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cograts are in order. Im sure it feels like a monster =)
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Have you changed out the OEM shocks (known for squirrelly rear end)? It could also be an alignment issue (toe out either front or rear)? My NT-05's only have 2/32nd left and I don't have stability issues running Bilstein Sport shocks (stock LS7).

I'm glad you are happy with your build.
Could also be small barely visible ruts.

I have similar power, with DRM Bilsteins, PSS tires, and on some hwy's the car's rear end will track side to side following the ruts. But only under WOT, and is repeatable on certain stretches of road.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

I have the Bilstein's on the car also, and it was definite tire spin at the top of second and not the roads.

I love pulling up to lights and having people just look at the car. Such a fun toy now. Just wish the weather in Florida would be a little more friendly. Keeps raining when I am in town and actually have time to take the car out.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Sent you an email with my phone number. Going to Redline in a few weeks and trying to figure out the right cam for me. Do you have the specs for that cam?

All, wanted to share my cars numbers after the round of mods being completed.
I went with Carlos' WCCH-X heads and after much deliberation I went ahead and did a cam also. Final numbers on my car were 562/505. The guys at Redline Motorsports in Pompano did an amazing job. I was kind of skeptical on the cam piece mostly because I had a cammed C5 and it was a bit tempermental, and the power level of the Z is so good, I really didn't want to do a cam and affect drivability. I am very glad I changed my mind and went with a cam. Having finally had a chance to drive the car around on Sunday it is seriously amazing how this car feels. Start it up you have a noticable lope, get on it you know it has more power. Driving around on the roads, highway or anywhere else the car feels exactly the same to me as it did before the round of mods. I seriously could not be more happy with this car.

Full list of mods;
WCCH-X Heads, BT Springs, 11.8 CR
Redline Motorsports 3Z Cam
J Formato ported intake and TB
Halltech KB
Trunion upgrade
Kooks 1-7/8 O/R
Borla catback
Elite catch can
Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Bruce,

I sent you a reply to your e-mail. I do not have the specs, but I am sure Redline will give them to you.

As I stated in the e-mail, if I am in town when you are coming over you are more than welcome to check out the car, drive it etc. and see if it is the cam you want. You won't be disappointed either way with Howard and Redline.

Ben
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 AM
VictoryRedZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on the build and great numbers brotha! Any reason you went with the Kooks headers vs another brand? I'm currently at 550 rwhp without headers I'm thinking about going with PFADT's I wonder what I'd put down with either header?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM
C6 Curtis
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Any way you can post the graph?

-Curtis
Old 08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Wow, great numbers

One day I'm going back and putting a cam in there with my WCCH heads.

How is the car in stop and go traffic? Mine is a DD as well as track car.

PS: I assume you got SS valves too. And are you on Quicks Registry??

DH
Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
edmundu
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by VictoryRedZ06
Congrats on the build and great numbers brotha! Any reason you went with the Kooks headers vs another brand? I'm currently at 550 rwhp without headers I'm thinking about going with PFADT's I wonder what I'd put down with either header?
There hasn't been any conclusive evidence that any one header is better than the rest.

Pretty much comes down to personal preference, or if you can get one for a better price....

Get notified of new replies

To My WCCH-X heads and cam results

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Ben01C5
Drifting

Best I can do.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 08-29-2013, 07:03 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks Ben, very decent of you. If I can time it out, I'd like to take you up on that.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VictoryRedZ06
Both good units, I chose Pfadt because Explode gave me a great deal on them - free install. Can't turn that down.

There is a real seat in the pants improvement, no doubt these motors love headers. I'm sure you'd gain at least 40, if not more HP with the headers, high flow cats and X pipe.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My WCCH-X heads and cam results