Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Widow cam/WCCH-X results

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 245 Posts

Further more here is a quick screen cap of the last dyno scanner log file showing the timing and airflows. I assure you, it's got as much timing in it as it will take at WOT at all RPM ranges as the previous dyno showed quite a bit more KR when I commanded more timing not to mention it was actually audible and visible in the exhaust stream at that point.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowVet05
Yeah, I'm gonna go with Kooks, just haven't decided on 1 7/8" or 2" yet.

Seriously look at the Pfadt headers before you buy. Very nice pieces, and some great results.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:10 PM
DCamper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, it was you. Nice car by the way...I've been using it as a sort of outline. I'm going to install some headers in the next few weeks and have Carlos remote tune it. If I make what these other guys are making around the country we'll know the issue. If not, then I'll take back my doubts about the tune.
dude, not to be a complete dick, but you should maybe optimally build your car before throwing out accusations of a bad tune. You threw on heads and a fairly large cam without even doing headers? talk about choking an engine.. you're in AZ, its hot and the fuel is terrible.

stop building your car backwards and you may enjoy a better running car..

oh, and my gt500 setup should be in the 560-570 range and it put down 529 in this **** weather with **** fuel..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:13 PM
DCamper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree and that's why I chose the combo. Dozens of Widow/WCCH setups out there making great numbers. I don't remember the member but there's a guy in Texas making I think 600rwhp on 90 octane with this cam. I don't doubt that the combo is capable of producing the results I'm looking for.

Headers will be going on very soon. I think you're right about being happy after the headers/retune!
where is this unicorn dyno? I have an ego to inflate..
Old 07-25-2013, 01:34 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DCamper
where is this unicorn dyno? I have an ego to inflate..
That "unicorn" dyno is the same one I have been on for the past 3 years. The best way to back up dyno numbers is with performance at the track. I back up those dyno numbers with 140+mph trap speeds in the 1/4. Those trap speeds are right inline with the power advertised. The numbers for the car he is referring to are accurate and not inflated.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:57 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

I think what we can all take away from here is:

Don't live in Arizona.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:46 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DCamper
dude, not to be a complete dick, but you should maybe optimally build your car before throwing out accusations of a bad tune. You threw on heads and a fairly large cam without even doing headers? talk about choking an engine.. you're in AZ, its hot and the fuel is terrible.

stop building your car backwards and you may enjoy a better running car..

oh, and my gt500 setup should be in the 560-570 range and it put down 529 in this **** weather with **** fuel..
In my first post I stated that I wanted to take care of the valve issue, and in an attempt to save money in the long run I had them install a cam as well. Since this was a budget build and I didn't want to fork out another $2k for headers and install I was willing to take a hit on power for the time being. All I'm saying is I think it should be making a little more than it does even being restricted. The 580+rwhp H/C numbers aren't what I would call "unicorn numbers". Those numbers are duplicated all over the country even on 91. It's hot in Texas and California too. As EX1 stated, he made 597 on 90 octane and backs it up with track times. The Widow/WCCH combo is fairly common.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

In my first post I stated that I wanted to take care of the valve issue, and in an attempt to save money in the long run I had them install a cam as well. Since this was a budget build and I didn't want to fork out another $2k for headers and install I was willing to take a hit on power for the time being. All I'm saying is I think it should be making a little more than it does even being restricted. The 580+rwhp H/C numbers aren't what I would call "unicorn numbers". Those numbers are duplicated all over the country even on 91. It's hot in Texas and California too. As EX1 stated, he made 597 on 90 octane and backs it up with track times. The Widow/WCCH combo is fairly common.
I agree with you, it should be making more power but seeing as how you don't have the "basics" to go with your combo the only suggestions I can make is to put the exhaust on it and see what happens at that point. There are two components in a tune that determines your power and that's timing and fuel. Your fueling is where it should be and it's running the most timing it can so the only thing left is the engine. Do you know how many heads/cam C6Zs have made 580+ rwhp here in AZ? None, and it's not for a lack of good cams and heads. Most are sitting around 550-560 rwhp on average with big intakes and big exhaust, both of which are not on your car.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:10 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DSteck
I think what we can all take away from here is:

Don't live in Arizona.

Hey now, being able to drive the nice cars year round makes up for the crappy air and temperatures.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Hey now, being able to drive the nice cars year round makes up for the crappy air and temperatures.
Unless your car overheats all the time from being too hot.

I made an offer that no one could refuse to Matt@FSP to come play with my car. For some reason he said no.

Last edited by Unreal; 07-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:50 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

The exhaust is backing up so bad it took only like 13 degrees of timing, commanding anymore resulted in knock
Are we sure that the cam was degreed properly when installed? What was it installed at?
Old 07-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,227 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by JMB
Are we sure that the cam was degreed properly when installed? What was it installed at?
yes we installed it properly. a heads/cam build is a walk in the park compared to the other stuff we do.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:15 PM
JMB
Melting Slicks

Received 450 Likes on 254 Posts

yes we installed it properly
Have to ask, we have to start somewhere

Further more here is a quick screen cap of the last dyno scanner log file showing the timing and airflows. I assure you, it's got as much timing in it as it will take at WOT at all RPM ranges as the previous dyno showed quite a bit more KR when I commanded more timing not to mention it was actually audible and visible in the exhaust stream at that point.
I'm surprised that you even made the power that you did with that low of timing! Do you have the actual dyno A/F chart that you can share?

My two cents would be to get some super high octane gas (additive if necessary) to eliminate the gas issue so that you can run timing in the 25-26 range at a minimum and start the runs with the engine temps in the 160 range (with a cooler thermostat) before crying foul. Your set-up cannot be compared to others when you're only running 17 degrees timing at WOT!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Are the right plugs in the car?
Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by EX1
Are the right plugs in the car?
Has TR55's in it now. I've been told they should be TR6's or cooler.

Last edited by SlowVet05; 07-26-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Well that's part of the problem that's a hotter heat range than stock
Old 07-26-2013, 08:18 PM
SlowVet05
Racer

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
They'll be changed before the re-tune. Either stock or one cooler.

Get notified of new replies

To Widow cam/WCCH-X results

Old 07-26-2013, 09:23 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Guys, don't knock Az. Where else can you run LT headers and a cam with HUGE overlap and smog it at a State Station? I would put a wide spot in the collector that looks like a cat at least but given that they don't sniff the car and only pull ALDL data it is a pretty nice state to get big power in.

I made a change from a Texas Speed Torquer on a 112 to one on a 114 in Az. I thought I lost 40 hp and 45 ftlbs of torque. But the basic difference was a DynoJet pull in Nevada on the 112 and a DynoJet in Phoenix on the 114.

I concur with others here. The best comparison is trap speed before and trap speed after. How it "feels" is way too subjective as are comparing runs across different dynos particularly different kinds of dynos. I have found the Dyno Pak to be slightly more conservative than DynoJet with the Mustang dyno easily 10-15% behind the Dyno Jet and 10% behind the Dyno Pak.

Last edited by pkincy; 07-26-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LS7 DREW
Exactly, like discussed in PMs earlier this week. The shop put the wrong plugs in the car. Put in a colder plug so you can throw some timing at it.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:51 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy
Guys, don't knock Az. Where else can you run LT headers and a cam with HUGE overlap and smog it at a State Station? I would put a wide spot in the collector that looks like a cat at least but given that they don't sniff the car and only pull ALDL data it is a pretty nice state to get big power in.

I made a change from a Texas Speed Torquer on a 112 to one on a 114 in Az. I thought I lost 40 hp and 45 ftlbs of torque. But the basic difference was a DynoJet pull in Nevada on the 112 and a DynoJet in Phoenix on the 114.

I concur with others here. The best comparison is trap speed before and trap speed after. How it "feels" is way too subjective as are comparing runs across different dynos particularly different kinds of dynos. I have found the Dyno Pak to be slightly more conservative than DynoJet with the Mustang dyno easily 10-15% behind the Dyno Jet and 10% behind the Dyno Pak.
Utah, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana etc. Pretty much anywhere but California.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Widow cam/WCCH-X results