Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 Valve Guide Final Word

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 PM
stew1100
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default LS7 Valve Guide Final Word

2007 Z06 23,000 miles bone stock engine. First 10,000 miles mostly track time. The next 13,000 pretty easy miles with occasional lunch on obnoxious Mustang and BMW drivers. Engine very quiet, no funny noises at any rpm. Decided to put in the upgraded bearing kit for the rockers for insurance and not worry about all the negative reports about the engine. Went ahead and compressed the exhaust valve spring on number one just for the heck of it. Did not remove spring, just compressed it to see if I could feel any slop on valve. Was able to move valve at least 1/8 of an inch side to side. Put engine back together. Called Vengeance Racing in Cumming Georgia, made appointment to have heads replaced with WCCH stage 2 heads with steel exhaust valves and bronze guides. Heads done, cost about 3,000. Asked what the wear was on the exhaust guides. 2 were in spec, 4 were slightly out of spec. and could not understand why the other 2 had not dropped yet. I do not have lots of money and have always tried to purchase vehicles that give me the most performance per dollar. Nothing even comes close to a used Z06. For a little over 40,000 dollars I bought this 07 with 10,000 miles on it. Car looks and smells brand new. Accelerates with the ferocity of a dragster and will pull the fillings out of your teeth with its brakes. Corners like it is on rails and will put down 28 mpg with the air conditioner on while cruising at 80 looking totally awesome. What the F more could anyone ask from a performance car. For a little more than the price of a set of tires I have the durability back with a performance gain. Please if you have a 2006 through 2010 Z06 just go get the heads done, and keep enjoying the best performance deal to ever come along.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Glad your happy and have regained confidenence in your beloved Z, that is all that matters.

But to say this is the final word on the valve debacle could not be further from reality.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy
Glad your happy and have regained confidenence in your beloved Z, that is all that matters.

But to say this is the final word on the valve debacle could not be further from reality.
You couldn't even get out the door good Jimmy, before another basically stock one blew.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...py-ending.html

Enjoy that Viper and don't look back.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopar Jimmy

I thought it was pretty much gospel around here that 'the fix' was the final word, or at least a general rebuild of the heads by a quality shop.

You're saying it ain't so?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Well if you do have lots of money.......why buy an 07? I mean a 2011 carbon would be the Z. What with carbon brakes and awesome looks.
Do you have kids or would you consider adoption?........Daddy.....
Old 07-19-2013, 10:19 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Originally Posted by JwT
Well if you do have lots of money.......why buy an 07? I mean a 2011 carbon would be the Z. What with carbon brakes and awesome looks.
Do you have kids or would you consider adoption?........Daddy.....
I said I DO NOT have lots of money. If I did, I would NOT be driving a 2011 carbon Z06. I would be driving a Vengenance Racing's twin turbo 1200 hp Z06.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM
Boosted Josh
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be at Vengeance doing the same two weeks from next Tuesday.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:23 AM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I thought it was pretty much gospel around here that 'the fix' was the final word, or at least a general rebuild of the heads by a quality shop.

You're saying it ain't so?
No, the final word will be when GM is truthful about the ls7 failure cause, how many cars "really" are effected, the solution, and compensation for those who got the shaft, even including modded cars. Until then, I think that Jimmy found the true fix, final word, ....selling the damn car and staying clear of GM.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:26 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
I'll be at Vengeance doing the same two weeks from next Tuesday.
Good for you. The guys there are really sharp, very courtious. They do awesome work. I think you will be very satisfied. What year is your Z and how many miles do you have on her. Did you do the wobble test?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:33 AM
stew1100
Instructor

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
No, the final word will be when GM is truthful about the ls7 failure cause, how many cars "really" are effected, the solution, and compensation for those who got the shaft, even including modded cars. Until then, I think that Jimmy found the true fix, final word, ....selling the damn car and staying clear of GM.
I too wish GM would step up to the plate and do the wright thing. But we all know that is not going to happen. That still does not take away from everything this car does for the price. Get the heads done and enjoy. No other manufacturer would spend so much money either.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Boosted Josh
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stew1100
Good for you. The guys there are really sharp, very courtious. They do awesome work. I think you will be very satisfied. What year is your Z and how many miles do you have on her. Did you do the wobble test?
07 with about 5500 miles. I got it a few months ago with 3800 a complete garage queen.

I knew the issues before I bought it and had plans to do the heads sometime next year before 20K miles. When Vengeance announced the 4th of July sale I decided to go ahead and jump on it.

I'm having them do the WCCH stage II, dual valve springs, a Halltech MF107, and tune.

The plan is to get the heads where I don't have to worry about them and pick up some power too.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:52 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

You will not hear anything else from GM on this, I'd bet money on it. This car is history and GM's focus is now the C7. In terms of solution or compensation, they do seem to be replacing motors that are stock out of warranty. Not saying that's perfect but its something.

With regards to your comment about final word or true fix.. that's fine if that is your opinon...but know that there are thousands and thousands of other Z06 owners out there (on the forum and outside never on the forum) that still think this one of the best cars performance-wise bang for the buck and enjoy the car and have no issues with it.

As a side note, Jimmy is a good friend of mine and I happen to know while this whole head issue concerned him, that is NOT the main reason he sold the car.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:29 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree.

Even though I've had new GM heads installed by a quality shop, I feel like I'm driving a time bomb. I do drive mountain roads a fair amount, and after seeing some of our "Track Rats" blow their LS7 and spin in their own oil, I don't feel warm and fuzzy driving it.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:39 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those guys at Vengeance do great work! They use heavy duty dual valve springs, But it will rev to 7,000 like nobody's business!

Last edited by clogan; 07-26-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:00 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 2k Cobra
I agree.

Even though I've had new GM heads installed by a quality shop, I feel like I'm driving a time bomb. I do drive mountain roads a fair amount, and after seeing some of our "Track Rats" blow their LS7 and spin in their own oil, I don't feel warm and fuzzy driving it.
Sell the car then...why keep it if you are afraid to enjoy it and feel like its a time bomb?
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No, the final word will be when GM is truthful about the ls7 failure cause, how many cars "really" are effected, the solution, and compensation for those who got the shaft, even including modded cars. [...]
So, how's the weather there in the Twilight Zone?
Old 07-19-2013, 09:19 PM
stew1100
Instructor

I agree.

Then don't drive it. I know plenty of folks who will take it.

Get notified of new replies

To LS7 Valve Guide Final Word

Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 906 Likes on 570 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I agree.

You guys should REALLY sell your cars...for everyone's sake.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Then don't drive it. I know plenty of folks who will take it.
Great idea!

Add me to the waxers list!!!!

Maybe you guys would like to help on the $ 40,000 loss I would take????? These cars are worthless.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:26 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And I do take issue with the stock brakes, there just plain spongy.

Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 Valve Guide Final Word