Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] LS7 blew up; happy ending

Old 07-20-2013, 03:22 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6
boost2na, please tell me your car sounded like mine does. My 09 Z sometimes is quiet, but half the time it sounds like it does in the vid, horrible.

Z06 noise - YouTube
Does it sound the same on the other side?

Have you checked for exhaust leaks?

DH
Old 07-20-2013, 12:50 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette
Listened to your vid.....how did they get carbon build up from that?
The dealer servicemen heard the noise when I took the car in, the techs drove it (hard) a few days later, and told me when I picked up the car that I wasn't driving it hard enough. It is funny thiough, the car was quiet when I picked it up, but then again sometimes the noise is loud and apparent somedays it's not.

Originally Posted by boost2na
Must be from the DI . Only thing I can think of is to ask around and find another dealership or throw the valve guide TSB at them. It does say if there is excessive wear they'll fix it, if not though on you.

Mine is definitely a lot
Will do six months from end of warranty period.

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Does it sound the same on the other side?

Have you checked for exhaust leaks?

DH
I haven't. But the noise dissappears after 2k rpm. Wouldn't an exhaust leak get louder. I have thought about this though and the noise is louder on the drivers side. Hopefully th dealer would have considered this possibility but who knows on that one.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM
sengli
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! Your car sounds exactly like mine. I have 2009 with about 17,500 miles. This scares me to the core. I have GMPP zero deductable warranty, but this still isn't right to happen.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by jbs02somws6

I haven't. But the noise dissappears after 2k rpm. Wouldn't an exhaust leak get louder. I have thought about this though and the noise is louder on the drivers side. Hopefully th dealer would have considered this possibility but who knows on that one.
Well as you rev the motor it gets harder to hear the leak. Mine was most notable at idle and it went away when my leak was fixed

DH
Old 07-21-2013, 10:15 AM
C6DuffMan
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This seals the deal for me. I'm replacing the heads on my 09.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:57 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought about it and I feel bad if I scared you guys with my comments about the sound clip. If I put on my engineering hat and treat this like something at work I have to say that I'm in no way qualified to infer anything about the health of your engines based on sound clips. All I can say is that subjectively my new engine seems to be a lot more quiet than the old one before it exploded.

wjnjr - stopped by my dealership yesterday but my mechanic and service manager weren't working. Will follow up with them about stem to guide clearance but they may have shipped everything back to GM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] LS7 blew up; happy ending