Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 07 Valve Guide Wear Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My 08Z is in the shop right now getting the factory heads done as a precaution at 21,000 miles. SS valves, bronze guides, double springs, trunnion upgrade, new pushrods, timing chain; I will report valve guide clearances

As well as:

custom grind cam, ATI underdrive pulley, Tic clutch master, LS9R clutch, heat shielding, splitter brace, seat cushion reinforcement to add to the other mods that includes headers.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:14 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Clearly the OP missed many shifts and can't drive worth a crap, that is abnormal wear and just doesn't happen on a street driven Z06, only raced/cammed/modded/abused LS7's have issues......oh ya, and there is no "valve issue" it's all made up.........

Should about cover the excuses.

Jeezzzz... been away from the forum for a while? I haven't seen this argument from anyone in about a year.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:11 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
CNC ported? Surface milled... ect? OEM springs?
I did not have it ported or the heads shaved, but I went with aftermarket springs.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OH THREE Z
You Shoulda bought that ZR1 that was collecting dust at Tom Gill a couple of years ago

I will be doing the heads sooner than later on my 2012. I'm currently at 8000+ miles.

We are fortunate to have Danny local to us
I know. Gill was willing to sell me that ZR-1 for $40K plus my Z06. I passed because the ZR-1 splitter wouldn't allow me to get up, or down, my driveway. What a deal that would have been.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:27 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by GMuffley
I did not have it ported or the heads shaved, but I went with aftermarket springs.
Cool thanks for the updates- I was asking because 3K seems expensive.

Either way, you can sleep better and just enjoy your car for a while. Make sure you reinspect after another 20K. I don't care what anyone tells you about being good to 100K. Cant hurt to look every 20K to be sure your good.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 AM
tobaccokid
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts

Cool thanks for the updates- I was asking because 3K seems expensive.

Either way, you can sleep better and just enjoy your car for a while. Make sure you reinspect after another 20K. I don't care what anyone tells you about being good to 100K. Cant hurt to look every 20K to be sure your good.
Just had my 07 heads done w/11k miles. 3K is not high, it is the going average. Keep in mind that if the work is done by a knowledgeable shop, included is approx. $400 for a copmputer retune on a dyno - always a good idea when signficant work is done.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Data: 07 with 20K miles. Bone stock down to the air filter. 100% street driven.

Results: 6 valves were twice the service limit and 2 were 4 times the service limit (you didn't need a dial guage to see the wiggle on those 2!).

Since I wasn't running a cam or tune, I thought I would be OK--unfortunately that was not the case. The car is actually quieter at idle than stock with the bronze guides and Ferrea superalloy valves.

Cost: $3K parts and labor for the valve job.
Congrats on getting back on the road.

I recall that yours was actually done by a Chevrolet dealership, and that their Master Corvette Tech, Danny Popp, recommend that you go this route for the management of your issue.

Yours is a very interesting case, and thanks for posting it up.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1584155073

I am sure, that people picking the thread up right here, and reading forward, will get some terrific insight on where the thinking on the management of this issue, is headed.

Even dealerships are acknowledging it as a viable and legitimate method of management of it.

I hesitated posting for that reason, but decided that the more information available, the better off other owners are in deciding whether the want to have their cars checked.

The shop that did mine has done 7 LS-7s so far and 2 more are scheduled. One of the 7 dropped a valve and was under warranty.
Absolutely no reason to hesitate posting, for just the reason you put in bold above. Would have been a disservice to not post it.

As already mentioned, it is clear that yours is also somewhat of a unique situation, in that this method of addressing your issue, long popular in this forum and others, is now "recognized" by an actual GM dealership.

It is significant that they did not simply give you a new set of heads, repolish your existing exhaust valves and re use your existing springs and "send you on your way".

Originally Posted by cdngolfer
My 08Z is in the shop right now getting the factory heads done as a precaution at 21,000 miles. SS valves, bronze guides, double springs, trunnion upgrade, new pushrods, timing chain; I will report valve guide clearances

As well as:

custom grind cam, ATI underdrive pulley, Tic clutch master, LS9R clutch, heat shielding, splitter brace, seat cushion reinforcement to add to the other mods that includes headers.
Originally Posted by tobaccokid
Just had my 07 heads done w/11k miles. 3K is not high, it is the going average. Keep in mind that if the work is done by a knowledgeable shop, included is approx. $400 for a copmputer retune on a dyno - always a good idea when signficant work is done.
Well, if all of you guys are running a "heavier than stock" exhaust valve, a SS valve, Inconel or Ferrea Superally, then I'll get you added onto the Forum Registry of members who are running a non stock heavier exhaust valve, if I have not done so already.

Congrats to you all, and best of luck with everything.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-29-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by tobaccokid
If you send your heads to WCCH you get:

Price includes hot tank and blast cleaning, installing bronze valve guides, our Stage 2 CNC port program, competition valve job, surface milling and new stainless steel exhaust valves. The titanium intake valves are cleaned, inspected and tumble polished to help reduce valve guide related wear.
For: $1,518.84

He said he got springs so add what?

$500?

Seems like he could've got more for less. Whatever, no need to debate everything. Going back to my original question its why I asked about the price because I was comparing to the full head job from WCCH.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:51 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

If you send your heads to WCCH you get:

For: $1,518.84

He said he got springs so add what?

$500?

Seems like he could've got more for less. Whatever, no need to debate everything. Going back to my original question its why I asked about the price because I was comparing to the full head job from WCCH.
He is using Ferrea Superalloy valves in it, which are more expensive than the REV Extreme X1137s used in the heads on the site for $1518.00.

The 1518.00, plus $592.00, would put a set of WCCH Stage2 heads with Manley springs in them at $2,110.00

He doesn't mention it, but the possibility exists that he may also be using brand new intake valves, as his dealership might not have sent his old intake valves out for tumble polish and reused them as WCCH does.

And then there is the labor and tax.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-29-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:39 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Glad you caught this and got it taken care of. As you point out, the hardest part is that nobody really knows how widespread it is, and how to determine what cars are effected or not.

I tend to still think its more widespread than orignally thought, but still not to the point where it's more than 2-3% of total LS7's produced..but I too did my heads. Better to spend 2-3k on head work vs gambling about spending maybe 15k for a new motor you just don't know

Guide wear is popping up in high mile cars, stock, low mile cars stock..then you got guy that mod and track cars with ok guides that are in spec

It's crap shot, russian roullette , poker, black jack, slot machine all rolled up into one giant gamble of which nobody knows the odds
Sorry, I guess missed all the reports of in spec valve guides. Where are they?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 07 Valve Guide Wear Results