Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Stage II LS7 cylinder heads - A visual guide to valve guide wear and CNC upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:27 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Not everything in life makes perfect sense or stands up to scientific/engineering disciplines.

Yesterday I had a patient who had numerous previous cavities that were already filled. In addition he had 4 new cavities. Guess what, they were ALL on the LEFT side of his mouth. He had NO cavities or fillings, just perfect teeth on the right side of his mouth.

DH
Well, the fix is obvious -- solid stainless steel teeth on the left side, a little polish on the right side
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
I agree Frank. If you look above at my statement it is basically saying that all people have to do is have WCCH swap their guides to bronze to mimic our success, that is based on the data. This is a way to help folks with what we know and not bother arguing what we don't know over and over. It's actually opinion from there on out for each to decide, not have decided by them from the loudest people in the room.

There is absolutely no need for these endless pages on the actual valves themselves. That happens because there are some that don't agree with the use of a certain type of valve. But the true problem, is that anecdotally 9 out of 10 cars in a sample on here have bad guides. That is a problem. If 9 out of 10 cars were having valve issues, then that would be the primary issue to focus on.
Excellent post and I could not agree more. I wonder if these debates will ever end. like I've said I think some people just enjoy debating for the sake of debating..problem is there is NEVER any new information, same ol arguments and people trying convince each other they are right. Lot of it boils simply down to who you trust..that's why I think it's funny the heated debates.. regardless of how "right" or technically savy someone can debate here, I would Never base any decision on my car soley off what I read here from total strangers.
Maybe I get pointed in the right direction to said vendor or shop that can demonstrate success, but that is about it. The rest of all the BS and useless debating here is just that .....BS.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ConfusedGarage
[...] . But the true problem, is that anecdotally 9 out of 10 cars in a sample on here have bad guides. That is a problem. If 9 out of 10 cars were having valve issues, then that would be the primary issue to focus on.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Advanced enough science will appear to be magic ........

DH
Only to the uninformed or those with a pre bias conclusion.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Well, the fix is obvious -- solid stainless steel teeth on the left side, a little polish on the right side
That would fix the decay problem but obviously is head will be out of balance from the SS weight and likely fail the Spintron test

DH
Old 07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimman
Only to the uninformed or those with a pre bias conclusion.
Jim

I am officially on vacation and down in your neck of the woods (Carlsbad, right next to Lego Land) so you aren't going to get anything too serious out of me. I hope you can take my ribbing

DH
Old 07-02-2013, 05:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim

I am officially on vacation and down in your neck of the woods (Carlsbad, right next to Lego Land) so you aren't going to get anything too serious out of me. I hope you can take my ribbing

DH
Same here, but I'm not in Carlsbad.

Enjoy your time off Howie.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:56 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Jim

DH
Just for the day, we all meet in El Cajon on Wed late afternoon for their weekly car show. I just got back from Amsterdam and now off to Daytona on Friday for the races.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Same here, but I'm not in Carlsbad.

Enjoy your time off Howie.
You too !!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 07-03-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jimman
Just for the day, we all meet in El Cajon on Wed late afternoon for their weekly car show. I just got back from Amsterdam and now off to Daytona on Friday for the races.
Don't have the Vette and wife has quite the itinerary for us

DH
Old 07-02-2013, 09:11 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

That would fix the decay problem but obviously is head will be out of balance from the SS weight and likely fail the Spintron test

DH
Then I would prescribe a retainer. Titanium, of course
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 PM
maroonls1z
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has been running the bronze guides the longest? I would like to know how long someone can expect them to stay in spec with oem rockers, possible with trunion upgrades
Old 09-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Who has been running the bronze guides the longest? I would like to know how long someone can expect them to stay in spec with oem rockers, possible with trunion upgrades
I know its not me but I have 16K miles and 9 track days on mine. Some guys are thinking about getting together and paying to see what condition mine are in via the "Wiggle" test.

DH
Old 09-29-2013, 10:10 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Several months ago Quick mentioned a few examples of Solid-stem/bronze cars that had 25K+ miles on them... but no repeat inspections to say if it was working or not. The few people that DID have data on their "fixed" heads were coming back after only 8-10K miles and that may have limited usefulness.

In light of Z06Tanner/Chad's recent post on the SS wear in heads with 10K miles on them... it may very well continue to be a total crap shoot. That specific situation seems to have some asterisks to it (big cam, etc) - but it's the 2nd case with SS valves that people would have otherwise assumed to be "fixed."

Whether people pony up the cash or not, Howie - it might be a smart move to have the heads rechecked regardless since you're running on your own dime nowadays.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Random84
Several months ago Quick mentioned a few examples of Solid-stem/bronze cars that had 25K+ miles on them... but no repeat inspections to say if it was working or not. The few people that DID have data on their "fixed" heads were coming back after only 8-10K miles and that may have limited usefulness.

In light of Z06Tanner/Chad's recent post on the SS wear in heads with 10K miles on them... it may very well continue to be a total crap shoot. That specific situation seems to have some asterisks to it (big cam, etc) - but it's the 2nd case with SS valves that people would have otherwise assumed to be "fixed."

Whether people pony up the cash or not, Howie - it might be a smart move to have the heads rechecked regardless since you're running on your own dime nowadays.
Well at some point I will. But based on my conversations with Richard at WCCH its not going to be in the near future. I just made the offer to the "DATA" guys so they could put up or shut up if they wanted "DATA" now.

For me "DATA" is the lack of failed motors with the WCCH heads

DH
Old 09-30-2013, 12:13 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

My car is an 08 with a little over 34k miles. It is stock except for an axle back. I have GMPP until 2015 or about 20,000 more miles. Have any of the known failures occurred past my mileage? I was on the fence about keeping the car past my warranty period but I kinda want to now. Should I take it to a dealer and complain about valve train noise or just wait till my coverage is up and have the heads done?
Old 09-30-2013, 12:58 AM
zamora7
Instructor

If I were you I'd keep it, if it holds all through your warranty swap the heads. If it blows up get a replacement ls7 and maybe you get one that has had the issue fixed, according to gm.

Get notified of new replies

To Stage II LS7 cylinder heads - A visual guide to valve guide wear and CNC upgrades

Old 09-30-2013, 01:12 AM
Mdm23
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by zamora7
If I were you I'd keep it, if it holds all through your warranty swap the heads. If it blows up get a replacement ls7 and maybe you get one that has had the issue fixed, according to gm.
I really wish these cars weren't plagued by this issue. Mine has made it farther than most but I know I'd be nervous if I didn't have an extended warranty. I want to go hci after the warranty but there seems to be no concrete answer on the actual problem to this day. GM has to know whether it's the valves, the guides, or the heads.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:20 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

GM isn't saying because they don't want to admit liability.

And if they truly don't know, they don't want to admit that, either...
Old 09-30-2013, 03:46 AM
zamora7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mdm23
I really wish these cars weren't plagued by this issue. Mine has made it farther than most but I know I'd be nervous if I didn't have an extended warranty. I want to go hci after the warranty but there seems to be no concrete answer on the actual problem to this day. GM has to know whether it's the valves, the guides, or the heads.
Mine is an 07 with 36k miles before it grenaded last week, assuming dropped valve but I was beating on it, could've went longer but my head stirred a little late.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Stage II LS7 cylinder heads - A visual guide to valve guide wear and CNC upgrades