Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #1
Aussie Vet
CF Senior Member

Default Which Direction?

Decided i will to have to do something about this valve guide issue, but undecided on which direction.

Currently going between:

Selling it and buying a ZR1..... most expensive option.

OR

Pulling the stock heads and just changing to bronze valve guides and re-using stock valves if all is well with them, if not, titanium and SS as everyone on here recommends....... Cheapest option.

OR

Buying a new set of aftermarket heads..... Either PRC 265's or RHS Pro elite both with titanium intake and exhaust valves.

As i live in Australia, shipping costs on the heads is insane, but new heads eliminate any GM factory issues so may be worth it, or will just new bronze guides on stock heads eliminate this issue also?

Any recommendations?
Car is 08, 9000miles , only issue a broken muffler baffle.
Driven only on weekends....... but driven hard.
Aussie Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #2
lilredvette05
CF Senior Member

I would just have my stock castings redone by wcch or similar if money was an option. If money is not that big of an issue and finding a nice ZR1 in your price is then I'd get aftermarket heads. If none of the above is an issue.... Well ZR1 it would be for me
lilredvette05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Aussie Vet
CF Senior Member

Getting heads done by WCCH is not really an option as i would have the car down for way too long with shipping my heads over and then back again, hence the new heads.

Actually getting tired of maintaining the black paint on the Z, so a white ZR1 is what i would like, but justifying the cost is the hard part.

New heads is the choice in the middle, but.......
Old 06-20-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
AussieZ06
CF Senior Member

I'm in the same position mate!!

2 options:
1. Open her up and see if guides are in tolerance
2. Have fun, wait till the donk (engine) goes bang, then install a monster built LS7
AussieZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
JwT
CF Senior Member

You know your not making sense here. If you even think about a ZR1 you can afford faster shipping. If you just want new PRC's which is the way I went, your still paying shipping here. I do understand the absolutely impossible ideal of owning any black car. You could have the car painted much cheaper than an R1. I mean no offence here, I just find problems with your post. Please explain...
JwT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
wjnjr
CF Senior Member

Fixing your heads is really not a big deal. What's involved is basically a thorough valve job with new ex valves included if necessary or if it makes you feel better about reliability. I'm sure there are plenty of shops in Oz who can handle it for about the same cost as a set of Michelins.

Good luck and enjoy your car!
wjnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Aussie Vet
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JwT View Post
You know your not making sense here. If you even think about a ZR1 you can afford faster shipping. If you just want new PRC's which is the way I went, your still paying shipping here. I do understand the absolutely impossible ideal of owning any black car. You could have the car painted much cheaper than an R1. I mean no offence here, I just find problems with your post. Please explain...
Just trying to work out the best way to go thats all, i dont need faster shipping if i get new heads as i wont open it up until they arrive, so no down time with the car. Faster shipping would only help with WCCH heads, but then there is two costs of shipping... me shipping heads to them, and then return shipping....
If i loved the colour and was certain of keeping the car, then no hassles spending the dollars on new heads, but since i was getting tired of the black, that is what is making think twice.
Sell it and get ZR...... most expensive
get new heads.....moderate price
or the cheapest option just do guides etc on stock heads locally.
Also, I would rather buy a new car than paint my Z.

sorry for any confusion.

How do you like the PRC's
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Aussie Vet
CF Senior Member

Whats everyones thoughts on RHS LS7 Pro Elite heads with titanium intake and exhaust valves... many here use them?
Old 06-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
sublime1996525
CF Senior Member

Location: I don't always downshift, but when I do its next to a Prius so they can hear me hurt the environment UT
FrankieDangrboy

I'd do the heads but I can't afford a ZR1 either. I know the PRC heads get a lot of good reviews. Don't know anything about the RHS heads.
sublime1996525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
RedZ4me
CF Senior Member

Worth it? My choice was: - improve my low, low mile 08 Z or spend $40,000 for a ZR1 upgrade. I spent $8k vs. $40. Did PRC's, mild cam, intake, tune, ATI, Trunnions etc.... Just couldn't justify the $40k for the top dog 'today'. IN a few years, it will be forgotton as the top dog just like the older ZR1's are. Many won't believe it but it will be true.

Last edited by RedZ4me; 06-21-2013 at 03:06 PM.
RedZ4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
EvilZ51
CF Senior Member

I love my PRC 265's.

If money isn't an issue ZR1, pulley, tune, exhaust.
EvilZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #12
crf538
CF Member

you could buy a set of used heads over here and have then shipped directly to wcch. then after you get them sell yours.

but if a zr1 is an option id take that route
crf538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
ATC399
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Get the Zr1
ATC399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #14
croatbob
CF Senior Member

bobby dazzler bobbydazzlermr305

why not just get em machined and valves done in aus? theres heaps of places that can do. freight from from usa to oz on a set of heads wud only be 200-300. im from brisbane n live in miami and freight **** all the time back home
croatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
Aussie Vet
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by croatbob View Post
why not just get em machined and valves done in aus? theres heaps of places that can do. freight from from usa to oz on a set of heads wud only be 200-300. im from brisbane n live in miami and freight **** all the time back home
Plenty of places to do it, but since not dealing with this issue before, would they fully correct the problem? .... I would rather buy new PRC's and have peace of mind, than deal with someone over here.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #16
Mark2009
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

We don't know what the problem is. Most likely a simple rebuild by a quality shop will fix it, but that's a most likely... not a for sure.

Problem with the aftermarket stuff is the valvetrain stability at higher RPM... above 6700 or so, based on recent tests (you've probably seen the thread). If your car doesn't see any track use then you'd probably be okay with the PRC's, altho one member here recently busted a spring on a set of those.

Personally I don't think you can go wrong just rebuilding the original heads with original parts (replacing worn items as needed, probably replacing all the exhaust valves since there is an updated GM version), but that is a minority opinion around here.

I assume you have checked your current valve guides and found them in need of replacement? If not, I'd do that first . . . . . odds are that if you have no unusual wear then you have no worries. Mate

ZR1's have been reported to have issues with valve guides on the intake side. . . .
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page Which Direction?