Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] One piece brake pads for street that don't require clip...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Default One piece brake pads for street that don't require clip...

I am using Hawk DTC-70 for the track with DBA rotors. I do about 6 HPDE a year. Changing out these padlets is getting old. I have bent these retainer clips more times than I can count.

Are there any one piece street pads I can use that don't require the clip?? Or is that clip necessary for all street pads. I would like to keep stock rotors for the street for appearance.

Thanks

MC
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
charger21
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

If you get the one piece pads, the retaining clips are not needed.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:41 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Talk to your
Hawk person.
You can get hawk street pads that are one piece not rrequiring clips
Old 06-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by charger21
Ummm....what one piece pads are you using? Pretty sure the one piece Hawk's I just installed required the anti-rattle clips. Have yet to see a one piece pad (or any pad for that matter) that don't require the anti-rattle clip.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by charger21
Depends on what brand you purchase. It is impossible to use the pad retaining clips if you use the Cobalt one piece pad. Hawk and Carbotech one piece pads require the springs and are notched for the springs. That can make them almost as much of a PIA to install as the padlets since they can still get hung up on the edge of the spring as you try and push them in.

Bill
Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
if you use the Cobalt one piece pad.

Bill
Damn Bill....really? I gotta look that up. I don't doubt you...just can't wrap my head around how a pad wouldn't destroy itself if the anti-rattle clip was MIA.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:41 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,506 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokin04
Damn Bill....really? I gotta look that up. I don't doubt you...just can't wrap my head around how a pad wouldn't destroy itself if the anti-rattle clip was MIA.
The Cobalt pads have more backing plate and pad material. The retaining pins hold it in place.

Even with other pads that are cut so they can accept the "anti-rattle" clip, I don't see why there would be a problem if it wasn't used, the pad would just possibly rattle around a little. While not necessary to use all the retaining pins with the single pads, I still do.

Why would you think the pad would destroy itself if there was no anti-rattle clip? It is there to keep the pad from rattling, not to retract it or locate it.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Anti rattle put another way means anti-vibration. The amount of heat the brakes deal with is extreme. Adding vibration into the mix would cause hot spots during initial bite, and excessive wear...if not all out failure during something like a HPDE where your brakes are being beat on. Maybe its do-able in an all out race pad because they're designed to be replaced after a few hours of use...not 50K miles like a street pad needs to be. Plus, the vibration would (or should) cause squealing on a unbearable level. IMO anyways.

As I told Bill...the fact that a company makes a "street" pad that doesn't use a rattle clip is intriguing to me...and worth researching into how they market it.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:09 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Anti rattle put another way means anti-vibration. The amount of heat the brakes deal with is extreme. Adding vibration into the mix would cause hot spots during initial bite, and excessive wear...if not all out failure during something like a HPDE where your brakes are being beat on. Maybe its do-able in an all out race pad because they're designed to be replaced after a few hours of use...not 50K miles like a street pad needs to be. Plus, the vibration would (or should) cause squealing on a unbearable level. IMO anyways.

As I told Bill...the fact that a company makes a "street" pad that doesn't use a rattle clip is intriguing to me...and worth researching into how they market it.
My Cobalt pads with no provision for the anti-rattle clip are track pads, not street pads. but I would expect if the same design was used with street pad material is would work just fine.

Opinions may differ.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

The other thing to think about is if you want to run the Hard Brake titanium heat shields. They have to be used with one piece pads and no anti rattle clips as they have no cutouts for the clips. I tried using them with a set of padlets and the clips and they got hung up on the clips. Had a spongy brake pedal until I removed them.

Bill
Old 06-16-2013, 09:13 AM
rabrooks
Drifting

Ummm....what one piece pads are you using? Pretty sure the one piece Hawk's I just installed required the anti-rattle clips. Have yet to see a one piece pad (or any pad for that matter) that don't require the anti-rattle clip.
I run the DTC 70 on front and DTC 60 on the rear. No clips at all. They fit properly and don't squeal. Talk to Ken at KNS. He is in teh classifieds alot.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Damn, learn something new every day.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by JBauer47
I am using Hawk DTC-70 for the track with DBA rotors. I do about 6 HPDE a year. Changing out these padlets is getting old. I have bent these retainer clips more times than I can count.

Are there any one piece street pads I can use that don't require the clip?? Or is that clip necessary for all street pads. I would like to keep stock rotors for the street for appearance.

Thanks

MC
I am checking if we can still do this I know we made a few sets for a racer early on in production but have modified them since. Will let you know.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 06-17-2013, 02:29 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

I spoke to Ken at KNS and without opening a bunch of brake pad boxes, this is what he remembers. The hawks and Carbo tech don't require clips. Stop tech and Cobalt do. I can only be sure about the Hawk single DTC's they don't require clips. Its only for noise anyway. Mine will make a little squeal at very low speeds (moving around the paddock speed) and its only once in a while. I asked Ken why some set ups squealed more than others of the same brand pads. He said that the pads must be properly bedded in. And if so, they are less likely to squeal. So if your trying to put new pads on old rotors or your rotors are not de-oiled before bed in, you could have a speal problem.
Cheer
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rabrooks
I spoke to Ken at KNS and without opening a bunch of brake pad boxes, this is what he remembers. The hawks and Carbo tech don't require clips. Stop tech and Cobalt do. I can only be sure about the Hawk single DTC's they don't require clips. Its only for noise anyway. Mine will make a little squeal at very low speeds (moving around the paddock speed) and its only once in a while. I asked Ken why some set ups squealed more than others of the same brand pads. He said that the pads must be properly bedded in. And if so, they are less likely to squeal. So if your trying to put new pads on old rotors or your rotors are not de-oiled before bed in, you could have a speal problem.
Cheer
My Cobalt track pads have no provision for the anti-rattle clips as the pad and backing plate shape does not accommodate the clips, but give more pad area for stopping.

My Carbotech street pads and track pads both can use the clips and I have.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

I run the one piece Hawks...with clips. No noise at all...ever.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:36 PM
JBauer47
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

I run the DTC-70 at the track without the clips and notice no significant noise. I had originally planned to re use the clips but the things are too warped. I know I have to remove the caliper with one piece pads but not dealing with the pins and clips is worth it to me.

MC

Get notified of new replies

To One piece brake pads for street that don't require clip...

Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Originally Posted by JBauer47
I run the DTC-70 at the track without the clips and notice no significant noise. I had originally planned to re use the clips but the things are too warped. I know I have to remove the caliper with one piece pads but not dealing with the pins and clips is worth it to me.

MC
10-4 Plus the one piece pads wear uneven so they should be flipped between events, which means the calipers have to come off anyway.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by AzDave47
My Cobalt track pads have no provision for the anti-rattle clips as the pad and backing plate shape does not accommodate the clips, but give more pad area for stopping.

My Carbotech street pads and track pads both can use the clips and I have.
I agree the Cobalts don't have the indentations for the clips. You might be able to get by without running the clips on the Carbotech and Hawk single piece pads but I don't think you can get away not running them if you are running padlets. If you didn't use the clips with the padlets they would probably taper even more.

Bill
Old 06-18-2013, 03:12 AM
LanceFitzgiben
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stoptech pads in my stock calipers and I'm not running the clips. I worked them in there but then asked the dealer I got them from and he told me they're not designed to run with the clips.

Quick Reply: [Z06] One piece brake pads for street that don't require clip...