Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Tune Results!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 582 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You show KB2, was that our older intake or a recent SBMF103?

The reason I ask, is that Howard just ordered 2 of our Super Bees a few days ago.

Great numbers!

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 05-25-2013, 09:35 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it is MF103.
I ordered it from you a year ago.... still rubs the hood liner hehe
Old 05-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mistermog
Sorry it is MF103.
I ordered it from you a year ago.... still rubs the hood liner hehe
Loosen all the hose clamps. All three. Push the nose of the SB down into the filter all the way and it will not rub anything.

I saw one a the track that had that issue and fixed it in 2 minutes.

The Super Bee will not touch anything but your wallet for new tires.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Hahaha, yeah we went over this for an hour via email and I sent pictures. I think mine just might be weird. No problem, its not a major thing. No leaks or problems with it. I'm satisfied with it even with the little quarter sized rub spot.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:46 AM
DaytonaFIC6
Racer

Congrats! Did you drop the steering rack or cradle when you did the cam swap?
Old 05-25-2013, 12:33 PM
mistermog
Drifting

I did the swap in my garage, I took out the steering rack.

It actually wasn't that bad of a job, I just had to get creative to bend the ears open a little bit on the frame to get the rack's passenger side to seat back down.

I just went out and started her up in the garage after I put the TR55s back in instead of the 6's and man that thing sounds so damn loud in a 1 car garage.

Howard was dead on the money with the spark plugs too. When I took out the TR6s a couple of them had carbon traces on the electrodes that he said would happen if they are just a tad too cold.

Last edited by mistermog; 05-25-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Zo6 with KB2 (MF103), ported stock intake and tb, Kooks 17/8s, darin morgan ported polished heads milled .020, comp cam 236/242 mid 620s lift 113+4.

Ended up with 540 hp and 476 tq.
clicky

I was hoping for 560/500+ but oh well... I know dynos can vary and temperature and all that but... still a tad bummed. Nice flat torque curve though, and drives pretty easily with minor surging that just happens to be at 75-80 mph in 6th gear... doh!

Got the tune done by Howard at Redline Motorsports in Pompano beach, FL. Not a bad shop, definitely the cleanest shop I've ever been in. The guys were great and everything went very well.

A little weird they don't let you watch the car on the dyno but other than that it was a fantastic experience.

I have to edit this post, some people have gotten the impression that I am not satisfied with the tune or with Redlines work. That could not be further from the truth. Howard and Carlos and everyone there was exceptional. The tune seems to be dead on. The numbers is what the cam gives and the tiny bit of surging again, its a cam. I expected some, as everyone told me before hand there might be some.

I just mentioned the being around the car on the dyno because this is just the first time that's ever happened, and its probably for insurance reasons or something which is understandable. I just mention it because I'm sure like others around here I like to just be there to watch and see whats going on at tire places and mechanics and such if I can. Again that's in no way a ding on the shop, I just wanted to mention it to inform people so they wouldn't be surprised if that came up.

I am in no way unsatisfied with Redlines work, a great shop and group of guys and I will definitely not hestitate to go back there. It was nothing against them at all, I hope no one took what I said that way and this clears that up.
Sweet results !!!!! It's just a dyno number, and those can fluctuate all over the place based on brand, environmentals, and dyno operator.
If you want to see that extra 25 ft/lbs of torque, put it on E85.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:26 PM
mistermog
Drifting

I can't get E85 up here... awww hehehe.

I got a chance to play around with it and its suuuuch a smooth torque curve, I barely feel the thing accelerating. I did come across a v10 R8 on the way home last night and from 70-120 it was dead even. No idea about the R8's mods or anything, and I was ginger rolling into throttle but damn that was fun. In theory, I mean.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:02 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job Chris, great numbers as well!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:09 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Congrats !! Those are very good numbers , and dynos are all different and it seems someone always makes more power than someone else with same mods , it's like me .. I was pretty sure I'd get 500rwhp with stock cam and my mods but got 474
Old 05-25-2013, 06:20 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Congrats !! Those are very good numbers , and dynos are all different and it seems someone always makes more power than someone else with same mods , it's like me .. I was pretty sure I'd get 500rwhp with stock cam and my mods but got 474
You could both take your cars to Katech and have them take the motors out and put them on the engine dyno. Two LS7s with the same mods will dyno within 3 hp of each other.

If you had your car on the same dyno under the exact same conditions, circumstances, with the same humidity, same correction factor, same tune, same oil temp, same water temp and same mods, same dust in the air filter, same wheels and tire pressures, and operator, you would have dynoed within 3 RWHP of his pull.

Katech did most of the GM validation on the LS7 back in 2004-05 and found only minor hp differences between the tested motors, well within the margin of error from pull to pull.

The only time I have ever heard Jason mention the word freak in terms of an engine was our 2006 Z06. It dynoed 448 RWHP at LGM, which is pretty standard numbers for stock; I bought the car and tuned it, it made 476.77 RWHP stock with a tune; brought the car to Katech with our tune, headers and the original foam honeycomb filter and it dynoed 496 RWHP. Then 538 RWHP with their torquer cam blasting the record 508 RWHP with their cam and a Callaway Honker.

The intakes were likely on par with each other, so where did the +30 RWHP come from? Was the engine a freak? Nope. What was freakish was my tuning.

There are tuners, and then there are TUNERS. Some are ultra conservative to prevent motor annihilation and warranty denial, and some just don't know what can and cannot be done safely. My own car has all the stops pulled out, and cannot be driven safely by anyone without a warning about losing control at 80 mph. Torque management is shut OFF. Some knock control (engine protection) is off. Timing is around 27 to 29 degrees. Traction control is off, IVT gain PE off, COTP Off; would I tune someone else's car like this? Not a chance. I've tuned over 500 Z06s and still learn new things all the time, and one is to be conservative as hell with someone else's property. The Army slogan does not apply to OPP.

I pioneered the E85 fuel tuning, but the first to have this was Jay Leno. His car was only the first car built for E85, but my idea went way back before the C6.RS came on the scene. Back then, Katech could not and would not build a Street Attack with fuel switching. I pressed them over and over again for a high CR motor, and the rest is history.

Last edited by Halltech; 05-26-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:40 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't get E85 up here... awww hehehe.

I got a chance to play around with it and its suuuuch a smooth torque curve, I barely feel the thing accelerating. I did come across a v10 R8 on the way home last night and from 70-120 it was dead even. No idea about the R8's mods or anything, and I was ginger rolling into throttle but damn that was fun. In theory, I mean.
Intersting theory. My dad ran door to door with a v10 r8 in his cai only cts-v2 m6 from 70- 130, then the audi pulled away. At least that was a story of his last year.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:44 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Jim, I was simply saying no 2 dynos are the same , and yes no 2 tuners tune the exact same way. Some dyno operators can play with numbers and manipulate results everyone knows that. I'm not accusing anyone here of doing that at all . Thanks for the additional info. People also get to hung up on dyno numbers . I think OP got really good numbers based on his mods
Old 05-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM
mistermog
Drifting

On that R8 I don't know if it was modded but it was being followed by a nastly looking GTR that I didn't get to play with so Im betting that yes, there were mods involved.

I'm not unhappy with the numbers that came up, I just expected more per previously conversations with a different place when I was trying to figure out what cam I was getting.

All in all the car drives fantastically and sounds bad ***. It definitely pulls 120-145 much harder than it did before too.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:45 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Who cares about the numbers?Go to the track and see what it runs and traps .Thats what matters.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:47 AM
mistermog
Drifting

Yep I know, just waiting for cooler weather in a few months for that. Going to get used to power delivery, I'm still a bit nervous to stomp the throttle and my roll ons are really timid.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The lowest I've dynoed was 600 flat and highest was 611. All SAE, all Dynojets, exact same setup. That's why I just tell people 605 rwhp because its the middle.

You can dyno somewhere else and see a jump in "numbers" but it's still the same setup and pulls just the same.

Chase the feeling, not the numbers game.

Congrats bro.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Tune Results!