Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] PTM and Launch Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTM and Launch Control

Likely a dumb question fro most but I can admit to being a little slow. I have read the owners manual multiple times and have asked several including the new Plant Manager who was at Lone Star Show this weekend. I have a 13 ZO6 with the PTM and selective ride control-- does it have launch control like the ZR1? OM leads me to believe yes. Plant Mgr said no. Everyone else I have asked is about 50-50 yes and no. I could always firewall it and dump the clutch to find out but don't want to do that just yet if it doesn't.
Also what is the difference in double clicking the button and putting it in Race Mode (5) versus just clicking once and tuning the system off?. Any help appreciated by this country boy.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:07 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by tractorguy
Likely a dumb question fro most but I can admit to being a little slow. I have read the owners manual multiple times and have asked several including the new Plant Manager who was at Lone Star Show this weekend. I have a 13 ZO6 with the PTM and selective ride control-- does it have launch control like the ZR1? OM leads me to believe yes. Plant Mgr said no. Everyone else I have asked is about 50-50 yes and no. I could always firewall it and dump the clutch to find out but don't want to do that just yet if it doesn't.
Also what is the difference in double clicking the button and putting it in Race Mode (5) versus just clicking once and tuning the system off?. Any help appreciated by this country boy.
Launch control should be on your car. To activate, push the button once to enable "Competitive Driving Mode", Active handling mode. Push the throttle to the floor rapidly. Pushing the button twice turns all systems off. Active handling as well as traction control. I would not recommend this. The car has to be in "Competitive mode" for launch control to be active.

Last edited by JWingo; 05-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I read the same manual...You do have launch control...The different modes I'm still trying to figure those out.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:56 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Well.....I am a bit surprised that you would have ask about Launch Control. And even more surprised (actually concerned!) that people who should be extremely knowledgeable about these cars don't seem to know!!

Butt....to answer your question, take a look at the 2013 Order Guide - scroll down to page 28:

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/docs/...rder-guide.pdf

And also read all about it in the 2013 Owner's Manual in the link below - go to page 9-36 and start reading about PTM, and when you get to page 9-38 you'll see info about Launch Control:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...te.pdf#page226

As far as your question about "the difference in double clicking the button.....versus just clicking once and turning the system off?"

Just clicking the button once only turns off the TC system (Traction Control System) - read page 9-33 of your Owner's Manual.

You've got several systems taking care of you when you run out of talent when trying to manage the huge power and torque of these cars.

The TC only tries to manage wheel spin during acceleration.

You turn off TC by 1 push of the button - AH is still full on.

The AH (Active Handling) tries to keep,the rear end from stepping out too badly by putting on individual brakes and pulling power to try to keep the car from exceeding the limits the AH is comfortable with.

The Comp mode in the non-PTM cars relaxes the AH so you can drive more aggressively on the track before AH intervenes. You select Comp with 2 quick pushes of the button. Push and hold the button to turn AH off completely.

In your PTM car, you activate the PTM modes by 2 quick pushes of the button, and the AH is still on in Perf Trac 1-3 modes (in a mode similar to Comp mode in the non-PTM cars), and is completely off in Perf Trac 4-5.

So....1 push of the button just turns off TC (AH still full on). 2 pushes of the button and selecting Perf Trac 5 turns TC off, AH is completely off, and full engine power will be available when you stomp the accelerator coming out of a corner - i.e., you have NO HELP at all from any of the systems that are there to save your butt when you run out of talent.

I NEVER turn off anything on the street in my non-PTM cars, but if I had PTM I might use Perf Trac 1 when I'm driving in the rain.

I think many of the ZR1 owners with PTM find PTM 3 or 4 to be very satisfactory on the track.

Bottom line:
  • You have LC - available by 2 quick pushes of the button

• One push of the button only turns off TC

• Two quick pushes of the button put you in the PTM modes with TC off, and 1-3 still have AH on, in 4-5 AH is off, in 4 AH is off but the engine power is controlled the same as in Perf Trac 3, in 5 nothing is on - no TC, no AH, and no PTM engine power control.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 05-19-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:05 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes. I think all 2010+ Manual Transmission Corvettes got it.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Yes. I think all 2010+ Manual Transmission Corvettes got it.

Get notified of new replies

To PTM and Launch Control

Quick Reply: [Z06] PTM and Launch Control