Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] More Z06 Woes....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 04:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Yeap I just saw that ... Then you'll see my post in that blown engine thread to the same regard , some have it a lot worse
Old 06-02-2013, 10:35 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

First Owner may not have abused it but he may not have been a good stick driver and kept causing wear not pushing clutch in far enough to disengage some people shift and not use the clutch.
z51vett
Doug
Old 06-02-2013, 03:30 PM
JT Metal
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Ever withness an older guy that shouldn't be jamming gears in a car he shouldnt be driving.......not pretty!

A lot of bad sycros to be sure.......can you say "paddle shift"
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

RPM is 3 weeks behind, not going to have the Trans for the car for at least 3-4 weeks I might as well put the fckn thing back in storage for the winter again
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Relax Frank it will happen. There's nothing worse than having your car down and finding out your parts won't be ready for a month. Even worse is the fact that it's the driving season and still the car sits. RPM will make sure that a bad tranny will never stop you from driving again. Do what you can right now to make sure that when the tranny gets there, it goes back together as quickly as possible. You'll still have a lot of time in the car this year.

I would call RPM every ten days or so just to make sure your tranny doesn't fall off the radar. Who knows you may get a break on the time. Think about what you can do right now. Make sure that any other parts you may need are there when the tranny comes home. It would be a pisser to have the tranny show up with you still needing other parts.

Last edited by JwT; 06-06-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 AM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Yeap I just saw that ... Then you'll see my post in that blown engine thread to the same regard , some have it a lot worse
Yep, AND the only reason that car went to the dealer in the first place was because the new owner got spooked by all the forum hype about valve guides, thought the car made a little too much ticking...of course with the new heads it ticked exactly the same amount right up until the rod started knocking.

And Dom has yet to actually get a micrometer on the old heads to see IF they really were worn out. I figure the dealer will never let that happen because they just made $6500 on the head job and now are gunna make another $17,000 on the rest of the engine.

You know the car previously had never had a single issue, leased by a doctor for it's whole life...if the new owner had just driven it from the day he got it he'd a never had a problem! Thank-you Rickie and all the forum 'sky is falling' posters...this story is exactly why I've periodically tried to keep things honest around here when it comes to the valve guide issue but unfortunately I just don't have enough time and energy to keep up with the zealots, too many hot cars to drive and fun to be had to spend a life time plucking on a keyboard.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:58 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Yep, AND the only reason that car went to the dealer in the first place was because the new owner got spooked by all the forum hype about valve guides, thought the car made a little too much ticking...of course with the new heads it ticked exactly the same amount right up until the rod started knocking.

And Dom has yet to actually get a micrometer on the old heads to see IF they really were worn out. I figure the dealer will never let that happen because they just made $6500 on the head job and now are gunna make another $17,000 on the rest of the engine.

You know the car previously had never had a single issue, leased by a doctor for it's whole life...if the new owner had just driven it from the day he got it he'd a never had a problem! Thank-you Rickie and all the forum 'sky is falling' posters...this story is exactly why I've periodically tried to keep things honest around here when it comes to the valve guide issue but unfortunately I just don't have enough time and energy to keep up with the zealots, too many hot cars to drive and fun to be had to spend a life time plucking on a keyboard.

Cheers, Paul.
About the only thing you have tried to do Paul, is maintain the status quo.

You talk about how Dom has never had a micrometer on his heads. Well Frank had no warranty and says that even had his heads been in spec, he still would have done the same thing. So what you are talking about, does not apply to Frank.

Dom's case was no doubt made worse than it should have been, by going to a dealership and spending $2200.00 for basically a new set of stock heads, and ended up with a bad rod bearing around 100 miles after the dealership did the work on the car.

There was concern that the dealership may have been at fault in this, but attorneys have told Dom what some of us already knew. That this would be difficult to prove.

He finally reached an agreement with the dealership.

Now on top of the $2200.00 he has already spent to get a new set of stock heads, which really would not have fixed the issue at all, indeed it didn't, as you say that it still ticked even after he got the new stock heads, he is looking at having to pay another $6000 plus tax(13%) to get a new motor.

So this whole thing is going to cost him around $9K

As someone mentioned in his thread, had he gone another route. Could have bought aftermarket heads like PRCs, gone to a good cylinder head shop professional like Darin Morgan or to WCCH and gotten his heads or a take off set of heads rebuilt, and installed on the car he would be thousands of dollars ahead.

It's hindsight now, but had he followed the advice and lead of many in here, he would first off, never have considered a new set of stock heads as being any sort of a fix, and secondly and more importantly, you take a risk any time you let some of these dealerships touch your car, and never would have let a dealership touch his car for this type of work.

The used car he bought, only had a 30 day warranty.

After the first week, he says that he dropped by the GM dealer for their opinion, they felt the noise was a bit excessive.So after some debating, he had them replace the heads,exh. valves,lifters,springs etc...

The "fix" for his heads ticking, which the dealership noted as well, was split three ways, and he ended up paying $2200.00 as his share.

But in this case, it seems that he would have been better off forgoing a "warranty" repair, and spending that $2200.00 elsewhere if he was looking to have his heads fixed.

The guy describes the car as http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...he-saddle.html
2006 Z,70k km,Doctor leased,(just off) only driven everyday in the summer and at the track on weekends.

A rented, 7 year old car, with 42K miles on it, and admittedly tracked, who knows how well this car was taken care of?

Who knows if it was modded and then taken back to stock prior to the lease turn in?

The buyer only had a 30 day warranty, and was merely trying to protect his investment, a move that many in here would make, and ended up with a bad outcome.

But to try and blame us for this poor guy's misfortune is absurd.

But then I have seen you write even more ridiculous things in the past Paul, so I am hardly surprised.

Cheers.

Ricky

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-06-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JwT
Relax Frank it will happen. There's nothing worse than having your car down and finding out your parts won't be ready for a month. Even worse is the fact that it's the driving season and still the car sits. RPM will make sure that a bad tranny will never stop you from driving again. Do what you can right now to make sure that when the tranny gets there, it goes back together as quickly as possible. You'll still have a lot of time in the car this year.

I would call RPM every ten days or so just to make sure your tranny doesn't fall off the radar. Who knows you may get a break on the time. Think about what you can do right now. Make sure that any other parts you may need are there when the tranny comes home. It would be a pisser to have the tranny show up with you still needing other parts.
Thanks my friend I really hate to contribute to all the negativity that goes on here lately, but it's hard not to sometimes. I know dozens of guys here that have 100+ more RWHP than me on the stock T56 Trans with 0 issues... it's almost as if the Tranny on these cars holds up better than the motor except in my case

Thanks for the kind words again. The guy at the shop/dealership where my car is , and the mechanic know me pretty well and have been good about staying on top of this whole thing..so we've agreed to check in on a weekly basis..and who knows maybe RPM will catch up and I'll have it a bit sooner than expected.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:15 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Thanks my friend I really hate to contribute to all the negativity that goes on here lately, but it's hard not to sometimes. I know dozens of guys here that have 100+ more RWHP than me on the stock T56 Trans with 0 issues... it's almost as if the Tranny on these cars holds up better than the motor except in my case

Thanks for the kind words again. The guy at the shop/dealership where my car is , and the mechanic know me pretty well and have been good about staying on top of this whole thing..so we've agreed to check in on a weekly basis..and who knows maybe RPM will catch up and I'll have it a bit sooner than expected.
Good luck Frank.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Good luck Frank.
Thanks...just trying to roll with the punches
Old 06-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Your day will come soon and a big smile back on your face once you get behind the wheel

DH
Old 06-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] Well Frank had no warranty and says that even had his heads been in spec, he still would have done the same thing. [...]
Because of all the hysteria generated here.

[...] Now on top of the $2200.00 he has already spent to get a new set of stock heads, which really would not have fixed the issue at all [...]
Hysteria exactly like that.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well, you're doing a good job.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I see were back to the sky is falling B.S.? Yea, blown out of proportion right? We must be faking all these bad guides and making up stories........ Mine weren't really bad at 25k miles, I guess I replaced the heads for no reason........See now look what you've done.......LOL. Time to add more to my ignore list...LOL Bye
Old 06-06-2013, 11:05 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Your day will come soon and a big smile back on your face once you get behind the wheel

DH
Thanks Howie
Well, you're doing a good job.

Originally Posted by erikszr1
I see were back to the sky is falling B.S.? Yea, blown out of proportion right? We must be faking all these bad guides and making up stories........ Mine weren't really bad at 25k miles, I guess I replaced the heads for no reason........See now look what you've done.......LOL. Time to add more to my ignore list...LOL Bye
Some how in my ranting thread about my failed Trans, even valve guide discussion found its way in here
Old 06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Howie

Some how in my ranting thread about my failed Trans, even valve guide discussion found its way in here
I'm glad you are resolving the issues. Really hope you get her back out soon and can get some enjoyment. Your car will be better than ever when it's done.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:46 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Svre46
I'm glad you are resolving the issues. Really hope you get her back out soon and can get some enjoyment. Your car will be better than ever when it's done.
Thanks! I am hoping to be more positive influence and stop my complaining about this issue. There is so much bickering about the valve stuff it's ruined the forum really.

I wish everyone could just call a truce , let the chips fall where they may. People who have questions should be calling shops or experts they trust for a solution if they are concerned about the heads. End of story.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Svre46
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! I am hoping to be more positive influence and stop my complaining about this issue. There is so much bickering about the valve stuff it's ruined the forum really.

I wish everyone could just call a truce , let the chips fall where they may. People who have questions should be calling shops or experts they trust for a solution if they are concerned about the heads. End of story.
I agree Frank. To me it's clear. You get them checked, fixed, or do nothing. Whatever makes you sleep. That should be the official guide to cut back on all the threads. Even unrelated threads have valve talk

Hope to see the car up and running and possibly in person sometime this summer. You have stayed pretty positive. I know so many guys say it's a "super car"..blah blah blah things break ect...but I'm sure they wouldn't be happy if it was their car. I wouldn't be. I would also be bummed after spending a few grand in preventative repairs or mods just to have the trans take a dump.

Last edited by Svre46; 06-07-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Too late for option 4 huh?? Hope this is the end of the problems for your car, I know one thing though......with a car taken apart in pieces a couple different times now....what gives you any kind of faith the problems are over with? After dealing with modding on former vettes, the cars are never the same way and in many cases short cuts taken, things are just never back to factory specs.

I just hope you don't look back and say OMG, if I had just moved on from this car, I would've saved money and a ton aggravation.

Quick Reply: [Z06] More Z06 Woes....