Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 24k Track Miles Wiggle Test Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:12 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24k Track Miles Wiggle Test Video

I posted up guide spec sheets for this a month or so ago. After 24k tracked miles and a dropped exhaust valve these heads show no signs of valve guide wear. These are the heads that were sent to me by
505z06. In the video you will see I compare the wear on this head to another dropped valve z06 head that I have here with significant wiggle room. as you can see with the loose guides there is no way to transfer heat when the guides are out of spec. this heads has No wear an still dropped a valve.

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-06-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner

I posted up guide spec sheets for this a month or so ago. After 24k tracked miles and a dropped exhaust valve these heads show no signs of valve guide wear. These are the heads that were sent to me by
505z06. In the video you will see I compare the wear on this head to another dropped valve z06 head that I have here with significant wiggle room.
Yes, I will post up the guide specs for you as soon as I can find it in your other posts.

I'll have to look through them.

Interesting video though.

You can see the damage to that head, but there are people in here right now whose guides are not in that good of shape.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583357326

Here you go Ricky number 4 dropped the exhaust valve,

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-05-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Found the guide spec sheet
Old 05-05-2013, 08:25 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

thanks Ricky
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

as much of a debate over these heads from forum members I'm shocked no one has said anything..lol so now the sheet and the vid i quess that will do it
Old 05-06-2013, 02:29 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

as much of a debate over these heads from forum members I'm shocked no one has said anything..lol so now the sheet and the vid i quess that will do it
It is because most people on here have heard you and the usual suspects beat the living chit out of this issue and when we see that you started yet another thread, it makes us want to beat our heads on a table.

I am not the slightest surprised that you and Quick were the only ones to post in here before I did.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:32 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
It is because most people on here have heard you and the usual suspects beat the living chit out of this issue and when we see that you started yet another thread, it makes us want to beat our heads on a table.

I am not the slightest surprised that you and Quick were the only ones to post in here before I did.

well I've had 5 ppl call me to day Rich from this forum. how those ss valves and bronze guides working out for ya?...see i post up real info unlike most ppl on here. funny to that you put new valves in one guys head then put used valves in les heads. again I ask you was I wrong 3 years ago? seems to me I started the wiggle test on this forum. you seem to be getting alot of work from that...lol whats really funny to me is you run the same valves and guides as me. what was you worried about? you didn't want to lose another engine did you? so trust me I think it's really funny. you was on here saying there wasn't any issues. and your motor let loose be fore mine did then go and post on another forum an not this one. you had only seen one car with out of spec guides. now in just 4-5 weeks you have had what 5 or more cars?...

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

These are the results from my wiggle test.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^^^^^^

Hilarious
Old 05-06-2013, 02:57 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
St. Jude Donor '08

well I've had 5 ppl call me to day Rich from this forum. how those ss valves and bronze guides working out for ya?...see i post up real info unlike most ppl on here. funny to that you put new valves in one guys head then put used valves in les heads. again I ask you was I wrong 3 years ago? seems to me I started the wiggle test on this forum. you seem to be getting alot of work from that...lol whats really funny to me is you run the same valves and guides as me. what was you worried about? you didn't want to lose another engine did you? so trust me I think it's really funny
I'm trying to make out what you're attempting to type in here, but it is difficult so hopefully I will answer OK.

My engine, heads and every other aspect of my car is great. I have no complaints at all. We can continue to race it, beat on it and enjoy the power it makes.

I work for a franchised GM dealer that is required to follow certain policies and procedures. GM warranty dictates what we can and can't do. If the valve stems measure out OK, then they have to be reused. If they are worn, pitted, or damaged in any way then they get replaced. So far, the vast majority of them are OK. I think that is mainly because the cars that we are seeing under warranty are low miles and not abused.

Considering the very low number of failures that we've seen here, compared to very high number of Corvettes that we service, I am not part of the tin foil hat crew that you belong to. 3 stock LS7 failures related to exh valves in the last 7 years is not a bad track record regardless of what you may think.

I'm glad that you find amusement in what I do.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:02 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by GMuffley
^^^^^^^^^

Hilarious
:
Old 05-06-2013, 03:07 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

I'm trying to make out what you're attempting to type in here, but it is difficult so hopefully I will answer OK.

My engine, heads and every other aspect of my car is great. I have no complaints at all. We can continue to race it, beat on it and enjoy the power it makes.

I work for a franchised GM dealer that is required to follow certain policies and procedures. GM warranty dictates what we can and can't do. If the valve stems measure out OK, then they have to be reused. If they are worn, pitted, or damaged in any way then they get replaced. So far, the vast majority of them are OK. I think that is mainly because the cars that we are seeing under warranty are low miles and not abused.

Considering the very low number of failures that we've seen here, compared to very high number of Corvettes that we service, I am not part of the tin foil hat crew that you belong to. 3 stock LS7 failures related to exh valves in the last 7 years is not a bad track record regardless of what you may think.

I'm glad that you find amusement in what I do.
and those cars with .0080 plus guide wear would have failed just like yours did. when you have guide wear the valve is gonna have stress marks galling from a loose guide. anyone that knows anything about heads will tell you that. the numbers go up daily so the tin hat crew you call me is priceless when you yourself run the same parts as me. so it's more than amusement for me. can't bite the hand that feeds you huh? I don't have that problem I work for myself so I tell the truth when it comes to these heads. over the next few years you will see how bad this is. but I must say I'm shocked you think it's still a low number. like me or not it doen't matter the numbers don't lie

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-07-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:31 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

and those cars with .0080 plus guides wear would have failed just like yours did. when you have guide wear the valve is gonna have stress marks galling from a loose guide. anyone that knows anything about heads will tell you that. the numbers go up daily so the tin hat crew you call me is priceless when you yourself run the same parts as me. so it's more than amusement for me. can't bite the hand that feeds you huh? I don't have that problem I work for myself so I tell the truth when it comes to these heads.
You can't say that a car with .008 guide wear is about to fail. I've had older out of warranty LS7 cars in here with .013"+ wear that just came off a track day the weekend before. One in particular had 30+ track days and guide wear that was above .011" on all cyls, with the highest being .014". Car was running great and had 80k miles on it. No noise, no smoke, no signs of the engine about to fail.

That's what is funny about you and the other tin foil hat guys.... You think that a car with .005" guide wear is a ticking time bomb and you will go out of your way to try and make everyone else believe the same.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:37 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

You can't say that a car with .008 guide wear is about to fail. I've had older out of warranty LS7 cars in here with .013"+ wear that just came off a track day the weekend before. One in particular had 30+ track days and guide wear that was above .011" on all cyls, with the highest being .014". Car was running great and had 80k miles on it. No noise, no smoke, no signs of the engine about to fail.

That's what is funny about you and the other tin foil hat guys.... You think that a car with .005" guide wear is a ticking time bomb and you will go out of your way to try and make everyone else believe the same.

But will they fail eventually given that they are out of spec? I agree not all will fail at any given point being out of spec. I disagree that they wont fail eventually from being out of spec. Its a matter of use and abuse that will either extend or shorten the amount of time.

I know all cars fail eventually but when the LS7 lets go it seems to always be at this fail point and its a catastrophic failure.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

come on thats bs your damn right a valve can fail with .0080" thats why they have max clearance is .0037 there is a reason for that ..........you wont know when it's gonna fail there isn't any signs that it would or your car wouldn't have failed now would it? hell even the company with a K just 2 days ago posted guide wear .0100 and said this will cause failure

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-07-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:39 PM
jimman
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

505z06. In the video you will see I compare the wear on this head to another dropped valve z06 head that I have here with significant wiggle room. as you can see with the loose guides there is no way to transfer heat when the guides are out of spec. this heads has No wear an still dropped a valve.
Ok I'll bite, what are we missing here, 24,000 track miles with original valve springs?????????????????
Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
These are the results from my wiggle test.

Sexy Asian Girl Doing The Harlem Shake! Part2 - YouTube
Propain don't quite your day job
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
Propain don't quite your day job

I thought my results were really good...

Get notified of new replies

To 24k Track Miles Wiggle Test Video

Old 05-06-2013, 03:58 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I am certain I said on one or more occasion that I thought .0050 guide wear (.0100 wiggle) were not at the failure point and that it would likely take .0150+ clearance (.0300+ wiggle) to fail. It depends on how the car is used. But after a certain number of times hitting the seat off center fatiguing the metal, it WILL break.

I also find it funny that GM's spec for the clearance is the same for virtually all their V8s, without regard for HP or valve material.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

More dramatic head video by Chad. Thanks. Don't stop posting this stuff

DH
Old 05-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

^^^^Lot of Bloviation above and more to come^^^^^^^^^^

It would be interesting to do the wriggle test on LS motors not LS7. as far as that goes on ford motors, and even going back to L98's put in corvettes and pick up trucks pre-1992. I bet most of them if not all wriggle.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 24k Track Miles Wiggle Test Video