Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Z06 Discussion
General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LS7 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Default POLL: Valve Problems

Wish I could or knew how to make a poll. Probably need to pay...

Either way... I say we should create 1 damn thread about the discussion of the exhaust valve problem in the LS7 and make it a sticky. I don't know about anyone else but in my opinion there are way too many concurrent never ending threads about this issue and its mucking up this forum to be honest.

Anyone else agree?
propain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
WICKEDFRC
CF Senior Member

I tried that myself and it went as far as 2 weeks at best. Just too many variables to capture every LS7. On a positive note, POLLS are free. When you make a thread, there should be an aread to check that says "POLL". If you leave it unchecked, your thread will be posted as a simple thread, without a set of poll questions.
WICKEDFRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
icrashevos
CF Senior Member

icrashevos

As a sidenote for the forum, the moderators here don't listen to feedback when we ask for a thread to be stickied. Good luck with getting anything stickied on this forum lol
icrashevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC View Post
I tried that myself and it went as far as 2 weeks at best. Just too many variables to capture every LS7. On a positive note, POLLS are free. When you make a thread, there should be an aread to check that says "POLL". If you leave it unchecked, your thread will be posted as a simple thread, without a set of poll questions.
Thanks, I found the option. I also appreciate the feedback. You would think there are a lot of variables but mostly all I see is 37 pages of insults and a few solutions peppered in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icrashevos View Post
As a sidenote for the forum, the moderators here don't listen to feedback when we ask for a thread to be stickied. Good luck with getting anything stickied on this forum lol
Shame.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propain View Post

Either way... I say we should create 1 damn thread about the discussion of the exhaust valve problem in the LS7 and make it a sticky. I don't know about anyone else but in my opinion there are way too many concurrent never ending threads about this issue and its mucking up this forum to be honest.

Anyone else agree?
The discussion of this matter will continue for as long as it continues to happen.

There is no abating the discussion of it.

As it increases in frequency, or potential instances of it increase in frequency, so will the discussion of it .

Another potential one just about an hour ago.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...r-exhaust.html

This new one to go along with the one from Bill Dearborn, 1 Bad Burb, Cantevendrive78, all within about a 7-10 day period.

All confirmed, feared or believed to be the same issue. Stock exhaust valve failure.

But do know, that if it were not happening, then there would likely be no discussion of it.

One thread though?????, and you would wind up with perhaps thousands of posts in it, making it impossible to navigate.

Quote:
Thanks, I found the option. I also appreciate the feedback. You would think there are a lot of variables but mostly all I see is 37 pages of insults and a few solutions peppered in.

Shame.
Not sure what you are looking for my friend.

There are two basic ways of handling this problem.

1. Stock valves, bronze guides.

2. Stainless steel valves, bronze guides.

Pick an option based on what you have seen in terms of the reports in here, what cylinder head professionals and shops that you trust after you have had a chance to ask yourself just why you trust them, have to say, and go with the option you are comfortable with.

No need for a new poll.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-05-2013 at 07:06 PM.
'06 Quicksilver Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #6
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 View Post
The discussion of this matter will continue for as long as it continues to happen.

There is no abating the discussion of it.

As it increases in frequency, or potential instances of it increase in frequency, so will the discussion of it .

Another potential one just about an hour ago.

This new one to go along with the one from Bill Dearborn, 1 Bad Burb, Cantevendrive78, all within about a 7-10 day period.

All confirmed, feared or believed to be the same issue. Stock exhaust valve failure.

But do know, that if it were not happening, then there would likely be no discussion of it.

One thread though?????, and you would wind up with perhaps thousands of posts in it, making it impossible to navigate.

Not sure what you are looking for my friend.

There are two basic ways of handling this problem.

1. Stock valves, bronze guides.

2. Stainless steel valves, bronze guides.

Pick an option based on what you have seen in terms of the reports in here, what cylinder head professionals and shops that you trust after you have had a chance to ask yourself just why you trust them, have to say, and go with the option you are comfortable with.

No need for a new poll.
Are you seriously turning even this thread into another valve discussion?

Thank you for proving my point. Either that or you missed my point.

Also quite honestly Quick. I see the same 5-10 people posting about it. Sure new threads come up and they should be consolidated. Lots of other reasons to own the Z06 and reading threads on this forum was my point.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
JWingo
CF Senior Member

Quote:

Anyone else agree?
Consolidation would be good. Too much clutter.
JWingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWingo View Post
Consolidation would be good. Too much clutter.
Too much BS quite honestly. Look at that other valve thread. A pissing match for the last 7 pages.

Quick, I like you bro, but how can you say that is productive? Also its what every single thread about this issue turns into with the same participants.

The next drama the next drama thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...est-video.html

This one too:

Both will turn into 10+ pages of pissing match over the same crap with no new data. That is my point Quick.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
z0sicktanner
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Too much BS quite honestly. Look at that other valve thread. A pissing match for the last 7 pages.

Quick, I like you bro, but how can you say that is productive? Also its what every single thread about this issue turns into with the same participants.

This one too:

Both will turn into 10+ pages of pissing match over the same crap with no new data. That is my point Quick.
it's just now starting to get rolling. the failure rates are gonna go up. I agree with you. but when ppl lose a 15k engine some will be pissed and make their own thread I would
z0sicktanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
Mark2009
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sicktanner View Post
it's just now starting to get rolling. the failure rates are gonna go up. I agree with you. but when ppl lose a 15k engine some will be pissed and make their own thread I would
1. Agree on the consolidation, OP. Or a sub-forum.

2. Why must a holed block result in a $15K engine? Seriously, wouldn't a bare block and a rebuild with salvaged parts be an option? For sure you'd need: bare block, couple of valves, one bare cylinder head, one piston, probably a piston pin and maybe a rod. Plus all the consumables (gaskets, bearings, bushings, seals, etc). Crank should survive, shouldn't it?

Some stuff you probably couldn't clean the debris out of and should replace to be on the safe side: oil lines for sure, intake manifold maybe, cats maybe.

I have to be overlooking something?
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sicktanner View Post
1. Agreed. That will happen as these older cars get more miles on them.

2. Very rarely do you see the person who creates the thread in more than two to three posts on that thread. The other 600 replies are the bickering and pissing match trying to figure out who what where when and why and who works where and can debate better and who is more right and who works for GM.... ect ect.. lol you get my point.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:

This one too:

What exactly are you looking to do here propain?

I'm curious.

Because if it is to make one big thread, that nobody will be able to find anything in it.

Besides, my point was, the options for management of this matter, which is really all that is left to discuss about it, as there is no longer any question as to if it exist, have already been discussed, and that was outlined in one of those two options.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-05-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
What exactly are you looking to do here propain?

I'm curious.

Because if it is to make one big thread, that nobody will be able to find anything in.

Besides, my point was, the options for management of this matter, which is really all that is left to discuss about it, as there is no longer any question as to if it exist, have already been discussed, and that was outlined in one of those two options.

Clean up the BS on this forum. Sorry, just cranky watching a good thread turn into a pissing match between you and Mark for the last 3 days and got me to this point.

What can be found in that wonderfully productive thread anyhow that can't be found in the 87 page sticky above about the "Official GM response" I can answer that, nothing we haven't read before. So why the need to pollute every single thread with it?

A consolidated thread discussing the topic would be better. Why must every thread turn into a 20 page pissing match? Quite honestly its turning a good forum into a sewing circle. I'm sure many have either choose to ignore it or not come here anymore because of it.

Someone posts that their car blew up:

"Sorry, that sucks, we feel your pain, Check out this sticky for the info you are looking for"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. But hey.... fight the good fight if you must in every thread. Seems exhausting to me and I don't know how you haven't tired of it yet.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
jedblanks
CF Senior Member

Step 1 attack posters with experience and information in valve threads.
Step 2 complain about bickering within the valve threads.
Step 3 congratulate yourself on mastering the interweb.

Last edited by jedblanks; 05-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
jedblanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #15
ramairws6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark200X View Post
1. Agree on the consolidation, OP. Or a sub-forum.

2. Why must a holed block result in a $15K engine? Seriously, wouldn't a bare block and a rebuild with salvaged parts be an option? For sure you'd need: bare block, couple of valves, one bare cylinder head, one piston, probably a piston pin and maybe a rod. Plus all the consumables (gaskets, bearings, bushings, seals, etc). Crank should survive, shouldn't it?

Some stuff you probably couldn't clean the debris out of and should replace to be on the safe side: oil lines for sure, intake manifold maybe, cats maybe.

I have to be overlooking something?
I have seen 3 engines destroyed by exhaust valves first hand. Out of 3 of them all 3 had the crank destroyed. One busted in half actually and the other 2 had the rod/rods welded to the crank. Also, you can't even imagine what else this destroys around it. Motor mounts, oiling systems, and the parts that exploded embed in everything from the intake to the exhaust where it's not salvagable. Hell even 1BadBurbs engine wiring harness was destroyed. It's not a pretty sight and very costly
ramairws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
'06 Quicksilver Z06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Clean up the BS on this forum. Sorry, just cranky watching a good thread turn into a pissing match between you and Mark for the last 3 days and got me to this point.

What can be found in that wonderfully productive thread anyhow that can't be found in the 87 page sticky above about the "Official GM response" I can answer that, nothing we haven't read before. So why the need to pollute every single thread with it?

A consolidated thread discussing the topic would be better. Why must every thread turn into a 20 page pissing match? Quite honestly its turning a good forum into a sewing circle. I'm sure many have either choose to ignore it or not come here anymore because of it.

Someone posts that their car blew up:

"Sorry, that sucks, we feel your pain, Check out this sticky for the info you are looking for"

Seems pretty straightforward to me. But hey.... fight the good fight if you must in every thread. Seems exhausting to me and I don't know how you haven't tired of it yet.
I think I understand what you mean.

And what information would the sticky contain?

Thanks
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
ramairws6
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedblanks View Post
Step 1 attack posters with experience and information in valve threads.
Step 2 complain about bickering within the valve threads.
Step 3 congratulate yourself on mastering the interweb.
Hahahahaha
ramairws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
z0sicktanner
CF Senior Member

Quote:
1. Agreed. That will happen as these older cars get more miles on them.

2. Very rarely do you see the person who creates the thread in more than two to three posts on that thread. The other 600 replies are the bickering and pissing match trying to figure out who what where when and why and who works where and can debate better and who is more right and who works for GM.... ect ect.. lol you get my point.
I agree but the debate should be over at this point there is a problem. and us members should do something about it instead of fighting with each other.
z0sicktanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Mark2009
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairws6 View Post
I have seen 3 engines destroyed by exhaust valves first hand. Out of 3 of them all 3 had the crank destroyed. [...]
Ah. The price tag starts going up for a rebuild, then... I saw that a new bare block starts at $3K; a crank would be another $1K. One (!) piston is $800, a bare head is $1K, one con rod is $350 (cheaper than I would have thought). Man.... over $6K and just getting started.

Okay, thanks for the info
Mark2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
propain
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '14

Quote:
I think I understand what you mean.

And what information would the sticky contain?

Thanks

I think a good first post with everything we know including statements from reputable shops and their recommended fixes.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:46 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Z06 Discussion
Reload this Page POLL: Valve Problems