Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] smoke out the rear exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettelover2
I am a lucky Z owner. Finally got my car on the road. I only needed a head job. The block and piston were ok. The valve did cause the problem. Got good deal on a set of WCCH heads from one of my friends that sold his Z. He had a unused set of heads he was going to put on his project car. He needed the money and I gave him my heads and some cash.

Thanks for all the help guys!
Well, that's good news, that the block is OK.

Originally Posted by Mark200X
So... the head broke off an exhaust valve?
I'm wondering what happened on this one too, because of the way that spark plug looked.

It did look heat damaged.

Oh man that looks real bad:
Drain the oil and see if you find coolant. Quickest way to know (still could have liner/block damage with no coolant in oil). The white smoke doesn't sound promising, however ...
When y'all pulled the heads, what did you see?

Any pics?

I'd be worried that that piece of spark plug had damaged the cylinder bore, and that the valve had damaged the piston.

Do you have any pics of the damage?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:23 AM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

So... the head broke off an exhaust valve?
Doubtful. I am curious as well as how "The valve was the problem" and to what extent.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Glad to hear your on the road again, tough break.

Just an FYI on our mail order tunes, knock and spark tables are left alone, and you would not melt down only one plug. You should see how some of the plugs come out after dropping a valve, this one isn't too bad, sometimes they wont come out of the head at all.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Glad to hear your on the road again, tough break.

Just an FYI on our mail order tunes, knock and spark tables are left alone, and you would not melt down only one plug. You should see how some of the plugs come out after dropping a valve, this one isn't too bad, sometimes they wont come out of the head at all.
Good info. Thanks
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vettelover2
I am a lucky Z owner. Finally got my car on the road. I only needed a head job. The block and piston were ok. The valve did cause the problem. Got good deal on a set of WCCH heads from one of my friends that sold his Z. He had a unused set of heads he was going to put on his project car. He needed the money and I gave him my heads and some cash.

Thanks for all the help guys!
A lucky Z owner is the one who sells it before the LS7 self-destructs....you were left holding the bag repairing a damaged engine....and it could've been worse for the pocket book!

Sold mine 1.5 yrs ago after finding weird metal chunks attached to the magnetic drain plug, haven't looked back since....

Will be following the C7's reliability closely in the coming years, I love Corvettes too much to not own another....but the Z06 ownership experience wasn't as fun as I'd hoped, worrying about the LS7 each time I took it out for a drive got old.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Vettelover2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not get a chance to see the heads or block. I was on vacation with the family. I am not a engine man like some of you. However, when your engine man say you are lucky and all you need is a head job and not 15k for a engine. Who cares what it looks like. I am riding with new heads and not looking back. I can sell her if I like but I will keep her for another 1yr or 2. Like I said b4. My car is a 99 out of 100. I only have one micro chip on the car and that is it. She will sell quick if I want her gone. My other C6 sold in 2wks and she was the same way with 20k miles along with my SVT cobra vert. I buy them clean and keep them clean.

Thanks Doug! Someone did try to give you a low blow.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:43 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

hmm looks like i won the debate. again..lol. congrats if the block wasn't damaged you got damn lucky for sure.

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 06-15-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
hmm looks like i won the debate. again..lol. [...]
If you say so..lol.

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner, early in the thread
but i'd bet the block and all are toast... [...]
Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

With the plug looking like that I can't imagine the piston escaping w/o any damage and maybe some scoring of the cylinder walls. I mean, the top of the piston had to have sustained some serious damage. $.02
Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
hmm looks like i won the debate. again..lol. congrats if the block wasn't damaged you got damn lucky for sure... check out my business page on fb and you can see what I've gotten in just 4 weeks..all dropped valves.....https://www.facebook.com/Hifloengines?ref=hl

I dont know if you wont the debate. He didnt drop a valve. He said valve related. Vague and inconclusive just like 90% of the fail threads on this forum.

BTW that badge was given to Quick not you!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
With the plug looking like that I can't imagine the piston escaping w/o any damage and maybe some scoring of the cylinder walls. I mean, the top of the piston had to have sustained some serious damage. $.02
My thoughts too, but I guess that stranger things have happened.

We had two guys in here, C5Frank, and I believe the other guy called himself Doctor V, who broke valve springs and either only had the valve and spring replaced as was the case with C5Frank, the car was returned to the dealership as what happened in the case of DocV.

In neither case was engine block damage said to have occurred.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Probably would've been prevented by a Vampire...just like 99% of all detonation cases. If that was indeed the cause of the failure...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by propain
I dont know if you wont the debate. He didnt drop a valve. He said valve related. Vague and inconclusive just like 90% of the fail threads on this forum.

BTW that badge was given to Quick not you!
how cares i thought it was funny so I posted it on my page trust me I've been at this for years

Quick Reply: [Z06] smoke out the rear exhaust