Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lovin' my Pilot Sport Cup Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Lovin' my Pilot Sport Cup Tires

Got a set last month and ran them at Spring Mountain on April 5 when the NCCC group was in town. Great tires! The feedback is terrific - you can really feel what they are doing at both ends of the car. Very safe tires in my opinion. They also heat up faster and get hotter than the PS2's. On the track, my tire pressures went up about 8 PSI as opposed to the PS2's 4-5 PSI.

They do wear fast, but they are a better buy than a track insurance policy in my opinion. I had to special order them from a local Discount Tire store as I could not find them online at Discount Tire Direct. I paid $445 front and $539 rear. Current Tire Rack prices are $477 and $569. And yes, you can have them heat cycled for $15 each.

I mounted them on some new cyber grey Speedlines I got from forum vendor H.O.W. Here is the difference in weight between this setup and the original chrome Speedlines with the PS2 tires.
Chrome wheels and PS2 tires (with 10000 miles on them):
Front-59 LBS, Rear-65 LBS
Painted wheels and Cup tires:
Front-55 LBS, Rear-60 LBS
So it looks like you save about 18 LBS over a stock setup and you can tell that they turn better and stop much quicker.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 AM
jss06c6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice! Going to do same. I have a set of brand new Super Sport's mounted on CCW 505's from my '06 Z51 to sell and will replace with Sport Cup's for track days...
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM
THEMADTYPH00N
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did the straight line traction improve over the stock PS2's?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM
Michael ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought straight line sucked qhen I ran them
Old 04-28-2013, 12:05 AM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They aren't very sticky until you get some heat in them. Tough to do for drag racing.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:32 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fagunza
I mounted them on some new cyber grey Speedlines I got from forum vendor H.O.W. Here is the difference in weight between this setup and the original chrome Speedlines with the PS2 tires.
Chrome wheels and PS2 tires (with 10000 miles on them):
Front-59 LBS, Rear-65 LBS
Painted wheels and Cup tires:
Front-55 LBS, Rear-60 LBS
So it looks like you save about 18 LBS over a stock setup and you can tell that they turn better and stop much quicker.
Nice weight savings there!
Old 04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
They aren't very sticky until you get some heat in them. Tough to do for drag racing.
Very true. Although I'm still working on my launch technique, I picked up a half a second at the strip a week ago. The funny thing is that when you do get them hot they are sticky to the touch. Sitting in the garage right now there is sand and small stones stuck to them.

If anyone else is running them at the track, what camber settings are you using?
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Lasco001
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

@Fagunza
Michelin engineers say
front maximum 2.0
at the back maximum 1.50

Cölestin
Old 04-30-2013, 01:17 PM
THEMADTYPH00N
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael ZR1
I thought straight line sucked qhen I ran them
Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Originally Posted by Fagunza
Very true. Although I'm still working on my launch technique, I picked up a half a second at the strip a week ago. The funny thing is that when you do get them hot they are sticky to the touch. Sitting in the garage right now there is sand and small stones stuck to them.

If anyone else is running them at the track, what camber settings are you using?
Im sure they are not anywhere as good as a drag radial but I guess what I was asking is if they where a noticeable improvement over the stock PS2's
Old 05-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Fagunza
Advanced

Originally Posted by THEMADTYPH00N
Im sure they are not anywhere as good as a drag radial but I guess what I was asking is if they where a noticeable improvement over the stock PS2's
They hook up much better on launch and I had no wheel-spin going into second as with the stock tires. Anyway, I broke out of my bracket even though I had lowered my dial in. So yes, I think you can tell a big difference.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Fagunza
Advanced

Visited the Spring Mountain track again last Sunday with a PCA group and got the run the entire 3.1 miles. Many thanks to the Porsche guys for letting us run with them. I got to see quite a few of them up close before showing them my taillights. One of 'em did get by me but I picked him off a couple of laps later. A great time was has by all.

I finally remembered after the final run to check my g-meter. It read 1.28 g's. The best I've done on this track with the PS2s was 1.1 g's.

Before the event I had my camber changed to -1.7 all around after reading the Michelin guidelines found here:http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...nd_Feeding.pdf This setting seemed like a good compromise for the track and worked well for me. If you are thinking about these tires, you should download this brochure.

BTW, the TPM showed that I had a leak after the first run. Found that one of the tire pressure sensor seals was leaking. Apparently after many heat/cool cycles the rubber contracted enough to break its seal. Tightening the nut on the valve stem fixed the leak so I added air and went back to the track. I hadn't thought of it before, but part of my track day check list will be checking the torque on my valve stem nuts.

Still lovin' them.

Get notified of new replies

To Lovin' my Pilot Sport Cup Tires

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lovin' my Pilot Sport Cup Tires