Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 12:35 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 905 Likes on 569 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks for the reply Jason.

About the concentricity problem, how can we check for this (with the head off and disassembled of course) and how can it be corrected?

And can you other guys stop arguing for just a minute please? We might learn something here.

Last edited by wjnjr; 05-02-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
GM has stated that there was a machining error on 2009-2011 LS7s (LS9's too but I'm not sure if GM specified that) that caused the valve guide to be machined non-concentric to the valve seat. We have found that this rapidly accelerates valve guide wear. The valve rocks in the guide and wears it out in an hourglass shape. The more it rocks, the more it wears in that manner. So far we've caught some very bad wear before the valve breaks, but if left untreated, the rocking in the guide is so severe that it fatigues the head of the valve until it fails. Every time the valve opens and closes its getting bent slightly in a different direction, working the stem around the base of the valve head.

Now, if I was involved in a cover-up with GM I wouldn't tell you the following. We recently saw high valve guide wear in 2007s and 2008s, so I'm not so sure that this is captured only in 2009-2011s.

A recent build, which I will post about soon, had massive (and I mean massive) intake guide wear. We caught it just in time. Now why would this be happening if it's just a defective exhaust valve? It's because it's not. It's a guide machining problem which could be on the intake OR exhaust OR both.
hmm I remember 2 years ago you said just because it has guide wear doesn't mean it will fail..the tune has changed I see. I've seen some intake guide wear but not much.

I have 7 sets of heads with the guides toasted on the exhaust side. in fact I've yet to see an intake guide past .0056" of wear and i got that a few days ago. but I've seen .0160 on the exhaust. also what about the 06 cars ?

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-03-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

crickets.....body slam....
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 PM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
For all myself or anyone else knows, as a result of that relationship, you could be privy to information which the other vendors are not.

Why did you immediately assume, that because I pointed out that relationship, that I was necessarily implying that you were using an "inferior valve" when I said nothing of the sort in my response to him?
It's the logical implication one draws from such a response. Also because there have been other numerous posts (not necessarily you) in other topics regarding the connection and conspiracy theory.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 05-02-2013, 12:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I didn't "imply" anything of the sort, but only stated a point of fact, and that is that your company does maintain a working relationship with General Motors. In other words, GM is one if your clients.

Or is that not true?

Because if it is, then every man in here can infer what, if anything that would mean to him.
Quick,
You may not have intended to imply it but the way you worded your previous response certainly implied that Katech did choose inferior parts based on a business relationship.

You and many others have known from previous posts over the last two years or so that Katech has stated time and time again that they believe it is a guide issue and not a valve issue and could have added that to your post. The fact they state it is a guide issue shows they aren't sugar coating an issue because GM is a large Customer.

Bill
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by wjnjr

About the concentricity problem, how can we check for this (with the head off and disassembled of course) and how can it be corrected?

And can you other guys stop arguing for just a minute please? We might learn something here.
if it was a concentricity problem the head guys would have caught it. and there has already been heads fail that have been reworked to fix this so called concentricity problem
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Now, if I was involved in a cover-up with GM I wouldn't tell you the following. We recently saw high valve guide wear in 2007s and 2008s, so I'm not so sure that this is captured only in 2009-2011s.

A recent build, which I will post about soon, had massive (and I mean massive) intake guide wear.

We are all seeing guide wear in 2006 - 2008 models, 2009-2011 admitted by GM and 2012+ too.

The defective part of the exhaust valve is that it breaks much sooner. It doesn't take a lot of rockin to get it knockin( its way out of the block).

The real difference: intake guide wear does not quickly lead to worn or broken intake valve. Exhaust guide wear does.

All my guides were worn. Only my exhaust valves were worn. Thus the EXTRA rockin in the exhaust valve.

So maybe we can call the exhaust valve weak or under designed for the application.

We have titanium valves, stainless hollow oem, stainless solid aftermarket , powdered medal guides and bronze guides. All dissimilar metals reacting to each other differently.

We are seeing oem exhaust valves wearing with the guides, Titanium valves wearing into the guides, and bronze/SS with minimal wear.

This suggests it IS a guide problem as GM admitted.

HOWEVER the cause of the hole in your block is the weak valve broken BY the GUIDE problem.

Last edited by jedblanks; 05-02-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
hmm I remember 2 years ago you said just because it has guide wear doesn't mean it will fail..the tune has changed I see. I've seen some intake guide wear but not much. I have 7 sets of heads with the guides toasted on the exhaust side only. in fact I've yet to see an intake guide past .0056" of wear. but I've seen .0160 on the exhaust. also what about the 06 cars ?
Two years ago I was not seeing this:

Science is a beautiful thing. It allows you to change your opinion when new empirical evidence presents itself that changes your outlook on a topic.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by jedblanks
We are all seeing guide wear in 2006 - 2008 models, 2009-2011 admitted by GM and 2012+ too.

The defective part of the exhaust valve is that it breaks much sooner. It doesn't take a lot of rockin to get it knockin( its way out of the block).

The real difference: intake guide wear does not quickly lead to worn or broken intake valve. Exhaust guide wear does.

All my guides were worn. Only my exhaust valves were worn. Thus the EXTRA rockin in the exhaust valve.

So maybe we can call the exhaust valve weak or under designed for the application.
I can agree with that. The exhaust valve is less robust when subjected to an environment of improperly machined heads where as the intake may be able to get away with it longer. It doesn't necessarily mean the exhaust valve is defective, just that when subjected to high guide wear is subject to failure first. When they are in a guide that is machined properly they are working in the tolerances they were designed for.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:52 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Science is a beautiful thing. It allows you to change your opinion when new empirical evidence presents itself that changes your outlook on a topic.
I was was telling ppl a long time ago what was happening. I've yet to see a intake anywhere nere that...it's odd to me that gm again in this sheet ever other guide is bad. and they are the same guides from 97 on.

why don't we see this in ls1 ls2 ls6 lq9 ls3? because one thing is for sure it's not happening. all my guides are in spec after 22k miles beat the hell out of miles at that. not one has wear with the bronze an ss intake or exhaust with a 675 lift cam. also I'm glad you guys figured it out right after they stoped making the c6z

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-02-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Katech_Zach

The concentricity problem will present itself as guide wear rather quickly. I've seen it as low as 3000 miles. It can be fixed by replacing the guide and re-machining.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks

The bad thing is all the guys who bought the LS7 as a crate motor and put in other platforms. Plus C5 owners who put in as a replacement motor. Then in 2014 the z28 owners get a shot at this problem
Old 05-02-2013, 12:56 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks for sharing that Jason!
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

The concentricity problem will present itself as guide wear rather quickly. I've seen it as low as 3000 miles. It can be fixed by replacing the guide and re-machining.
So will a "normal" valve job procedure on the seats correct it or does it require something more extensive?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:06 PM
Katech_Zach

So will a "normal" valve job procedure on the seats correct it or does it require something more extensive?
You will have worn the guides out so those need to be replaced.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Right I get that. I was wondering what was necessary to correct the seats.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

these three have had valve failure using the oem valve. take it for what it's worth
Under what conditions?

Or are conditions irrelevant?

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Issues?

Old 05-02-2013, 01:26 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Under what conditions?

Or are conditions irrelevant?
does it matter? they failed from dropped exhaust valves...I'm still waiting on what my so called conspiracy theory is? I said I was seeing a ton of guide wear and motors dropping valves. well your guides are bad to....how in the hell was that a conspiracy theory? I knew the day would come that ppl would understand why I posted what I did..and I'm just one guy that ports a small number of ls7 heads and I knew without doubt there was an still is a huge proplem. mybe it's time to throw pies in faces because I feel good about what I found and the posts I made. I saved more than a few engines.

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-02-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark [...] isn't that the reason you checked your heads after watching the vids I posted up?..
No. I didn't see your vids until quite recently.

[...] lingenfelter has strong ties to gm mybe you should look
Ligenfelter did GM warranty work on an LT5 that I once owned, so maybe I don't need to look. But that proves no half-baked conspiracy theory. Your and Quick's attempts to discredit certain vendors (and others) who do not subscribe to your 'crap' OEM exhaust valve theory are quite transparent and lacking, both in substance and logic.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:33 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

You will have worn the guides out so those need to be replaced.
yeah on his dime and not GM... thats just wrong

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Issues?