Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette @ 71
Based upon your personal experience what do you contribute/causing the valve problem. Do you subscribe to the concentricity theory valve to guide as Katech is stating.
From what I remember with Hoefi, it is a heat problem.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:29 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael_D
You have my attention. Analyzing vibration data makes my head feel like it’s about to explode. The smartest man (or woman) I’ve ever had the pleasure of working with is my employer’s rotating machinery engineer. He continues to amaze me with his diagnosis of a problem by doing nothing more than analyzing vibration data that we send him (we do not have remote monitoring, yet). We had a 15 MW TG go bonkers after a bearing change. We could not get it through the critical stage without tripping from high vibration. Operations immediately came to the conclusion that either the installation was incorrect, or that there was a larger problem with the machine that would require a complete tear down. I sent this engineer the data to review. An hour later he asked for pictures of both bearings – old and new. He thought, through data analysis, that there might be something different with the bearings, even though they had the same part number from the manufacture. Sure enough, the manufacture made a very subtle change, thinking the change would be an improvement, but it instead induced oil whirl. I went back to the manufacture, told them our findings and got a ‘retro’ bearing sent to us. Swapped it out and all was golden. The manufacture changed this bearing’s design back to original for this machine that is still in operation, world-wide. He constantly does things like that.

I think it’s just human nature to jump to conclusions without taking a few steps back, breath for a minute and separate the fluff from the meat of the issue. In my professional world, we cannot simply change a part because it failed. We must find out why it failed. Down time costs result in lost revenue of roughly $500 per second. When there is a failure, we analyze the data, and find out why it failed. Call backs to address a repeat failure usually gets unwanted attention from people in the company I would rather not know who I am….
The bearing design change altered the stiffness. That in turn changed a natural frequency. The whirl will show itself at .4 to.47 rotational frequency as sub synchronous. Simply changing viscosity can alter stiffness enough to make oil whirl become oil whip. It actually locks onto the whirl and will not go through the critical. If it tripped out, I bet it was pretty ruff. Our Turbine did almost the same thing. We have 4.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hoefi
For the record I am a regiestered professional engineer. My engine dropped an exhaust valve back in September 2009. I stripped my own engine down and did my own investigation when GM denied my warrantee. I am the first person on this forum officially reported abnormal guide wear measurements back in January 2010. I provided meaurements, X-Ray, NDT test results to GM even before z0sickTanner started jumping up and down here telling everyone there is an issue with this engine. Do I have data??? Yes, I have data on ONE failed engine. Now, my question to you is, have you examined ANY failed LS7 engine yourself? If not, you have ZERO data compare to my data.

I was at a seminar many many years ago. The lecturer is a geneticist. He made the comment that when he is standing there in front of the large crowd, all he sees is mutants in front of him. I have read your previous posts, and your take on this valve issue is always a vibration one. I guess it's similar to the geneticist seeing only mutants in the crowd. The important question is that have you examine a failed engine as a first step in investigating the problem. Katech has the same issue. Three years ago, they said there is absolutely no issue with the LS7 engine because they have not seen any issue. Twenty months later, they changed their tone and said there is abnormal wear in the valve guides because they are starting to see it. But their comment then was that they have not seen any dropped valve even with the valve guide wear, so there is no danger of dropping valves. In additon, they also said the issue is only contained to a small segment of the population (because that's what GM told them and Katech took that at face value). Now, the last few days, Katech is saying that they are seeing valve guide wear in other model years and confirmed valve heads will fall off with excessive guide wear. All because they are now seeing them. Great, so if you haven't seen something, that something does not exist. Data is great, when it is YOUR data. Someone else's data or observation is not relevant I guess, especially when one considers himself an expert.

Three years after the official start of this valve drop debate and we still have people here convinced that it is less than 1%. I am just shaking my head in disbelief.

I don't post much these days any more. I let Quick do the posting since he is much more effeicent in doing it. My Z has put on about 10,000 miles since the new replacement engine. New heads from WCCH will be going on once they arrive. Should be ready for the road again very soon.
Excellent post hoefi.

Thank you so much for chiming in, not just with your own story and experience, but also for going through the history of Katech's position on this matter. It is truly something that these new guys in here, who hang on their every word without question, and who believe their word to be the end all/final say, to see.

Nothing against them, i have huge respect for them, jason and their products, some of which are in my own car and i would have it no other way.

But there are other experiences and opinions which are just as valid and have just as much merit deserve just as much consideration as do Katech's.

Thanks again hoefi for the info.

See you again in another few months.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:17 PM
JWingo
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 49 Posts

For the record I am a regiestered professional engineer. My engine dropped an exhaust valve back in September 2009. I stripped my own engine down and did my own investigation when GM denied my warrantee. I am the first person on this forum officially reported abnormal guide wear measurements back in January 2010. I provided meaurements, X-Ray, NDT test results to GM even before z0sickTanner started jumping up and down here telling everyone there is an issue with this engine. Do I have data??? Yes, I have data on ONE failed engine. Now, my question to you is, have you examined ANY failed LS7 engine yourself? If not, you have ZERO data compare to my data.

I was at a seminar many many years ago. The lecturer is a geneticist. He made the comment that when he is standing there in front of the large crowd, all he sees is mutants in front of him. I have read your previous posts, and your take on this valve issue is always a vibration one. I guess it's similar to the geneticist seeing only mutants in the crowd. The important question is that have you examine a failed engine as a first step in investigating the problem. Katech has the same issue. Three years ago, they said there is absolutely no issue with the LS7 engine because they have not seen any issue. Twenty months later, they changed their tone and said there is abnormal wear in the valve guides because they are starting to see it. But their comment then was that they have not seen any dropped valve even with the valve guide wear, so there is no danger of dropping valves. In additon, they also said the issue is only contained to a small segment of the population (because that's what GM told them and Katech took that at face value). Now, the last few days, Katech is saying that they are seeing valve guide wear in other model years and confirmed valve heads will fall off with excessive guide wear. All because they are now seeing them. Great, so if you haven't seen something, that something does not exist. Data is great, when it is YOUR data. Someone else's data or observation is not relevant I guess, especially when one considers himself an expert.

Three years after the official start of this valve drop debate and we still have people here convinced that it is less than 1%. I am just shaking my head in disbelief.

I don't post much these days any more. I let Quick do the posting since he is much more effeicent in doing it. My Z has put on about 10,000 miles since the new replacement engine. New heads from WCCH will be going on once they arrive. Should be ready for the road again very soon.
I apologize for the time delay! Had to cut grass. Wife cracked the whip on me. I never meant to imply "there never was an issue within the heads" of the LS7. Absolutely was as GM admitted to and unfortunately some have had the experience of. All my comments were viewed from a root cause analysis point of view. Before any conclusion can be made, data has to be considered. It may be one of many variables. It may be a combination. Nothing wrong with many of the repairs I see people doing. Better than failing. However, assuming all people are going to fail is very premature. Sorry to hear of your failure but that does not mean everyone will fail as your 2009 did. Which is named as a year that had a potential issue by GM. I thank you for your opinion. As far as what I have for data. I have not failed an LS7. So I have 2. I had a 2008 with 30k miles and then bought the 2013. Does that indicate there will be no future failures? No. It's inconclusive. Total number on the roads today versus the number of failures are what I have referred to. Calculated uptime. Expert? Sir, I want even dignify that with comment.

Last edited by JWingo; 05-04-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:39 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JWingo
I apologize for the time delay! Had to cut grass. Wife cracked the whip on me. I never meant to imply "there never was an issue within the heads" of the LS7. Absolutely was as GM admitted to and unfortunately some have had the experience of. All my comments were viewed from a root cause analysis point of view. Before any conclusion can be made, data has to be considered. It may be one of many variables. It may be a combination. Nothing wrong with many of the repairs I see people doing. Better than failing. However, assuming all people are going to fail is very premature. Sorry to hear of your failure but that does not mean everyone will fail as your 2009 did. Which is named as a year that had a potential issue by GM. I thank you for your opinion. As far as what I have for data. I have not failed an LS7. So I have 2. I had a 2008 with 30k miles and then bought the 2013. Does that indicate there will be no future failures? No. It's inconclusive. Total number on the roads today versus the number of failures are what I have referred to. Calculated uptime. Expert? Sir, I want even dignify that with comment.
Did op mention the year as an 09? just curious...
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

As they (GM ) has gone on record by stating it is a "machining error", their solution was to correct the error, as they believed they had and move on with producing more engines.

Unfortunately for them it appears the problem (machining problem) is far more widespread than they believed or had hoped for and which naturally casts doubt on their integrity as it relates to having identified the source of the problem and put in place proper corrective actions to eliminate the problem..
And just how do you know what they "believed" or "hoped for"?

The only thing that you can say, is:

"Unfortunately for them it appears the problem (machining problem) is far more widespread than they STATED."

And with regard to your #5 above in a prior post, well I got a real kick out of that.

If he knows so much more than I do about this matter, then how come his car isn't fixed, but mine is as solid as a rock?

My signature is below, and as far as reliability or anything else you would like to name, I will put my car against his, which currently has a KNOWN worn out exhaust guide in it as of two months ago, which he has yet to state that he has addressed, or more importantly, leave him out of it, I'll put it up against YOURS for that matter, in terms of reliability or anything else, any day.

'06 Quicksilver Z06:

2006 C6 Z06

DRM Bilstein shocks
2008 axle shafts
MGW shifter
Katech LS9X clutch
Tick remote clutch bleeder
Callaway Honker CAI
Ported stock Formato Throttle body
Ported stock Formato intake manifold
Katech Torquer 110 Cam
Katech C5R Timing Chain
WCCH Stage 2 Cylinder Heads, Stainless steel exhaust valves
C.H.E. Rockers
KOOKS 1 7/8 headers X Pipe with Cats
NGK TR6 Spark plugs
Elite Catch Can
Tuning by Ed Hutchings

I understand that he is your hero. But when it comes to this matter, I feel very comfortable with what I've done in my own car thus far.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
And just how do you know what they "believed" or "hoped for"?

The only thing that you can say, is:

"Unfortunately for them it appears the problem (machining problem) is far more widespread than they STATED."

And with regard to your #5 above in a prior post, well I got a real kick out of that.

If he knows so much more than I do about this matter, then how come his car isn't fixed, but mine is as solid as a rock?

My signature is below, and as far as reliability or anything else you would like to name, I will put my car against his, which currently has a KNOWN worn out exhaust guide in it as of two months ago, which he has yet to state that he has addressed, or more importantly, leave him out of it, I'll put it up against YOURS for that matter, in terms of reliability or anything else, any day.

'06 Quicksilver Z06:

2006 C6 Z06

DRM Bilstein shocks
2008 axle shafts
MGW shifter
Katech LS9X clutch
Tick remote clutch bleeder
Callaway Honker CAI
Ported stock Formato Throttle body
Ported stock Formato intake manifold
Katech Torquer 110 Cam
Katech C5R Timing Chain
WCCH Stage 2 Cylinder Heads, Stainless steel exhaust valves
C.H.E. Rockers
KOOKS 1 7/8 headers X Pipe with Cats
NGK TR6 Spark plugs
Elite Catch Can
Tuning by Ed Hutchings

I understand that he is your hero. But when it comes to this matter, I feel very comfortable with what I've done in my own car thus far.
Congratulations on what you believe you have accomplished with your car I hope it lasts a millennia of reliability.

However, as is your ridiculous debating style, the discussion is not and never has been your car vs his car or your car vs my car.

You seem to have difficulty staying focused and on track.

Do you really believe that by "fixing your car" as you hope and I also hope for, provides you with superior knowledge? Really? Give careful consideration to what you said..

The status of his car or anyone's car has no relevance. The objective is to understand what is going on with the valves/guides.

We are not comparing whose car is more reliable..

Do you proof read and perform a sanity check before you push the send key?
Old 05-04-2013, 07:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Congratulations on what you believe you have accomplished with your car I hope it lasts a millennia of reliability.

However, as is your ridiculous debating style, the discussion is not and never has been your car vs his car or your car vs my car.

You seem to have difficulty staying focused and on track.
I'm not the one hypnotiized and mesmerized by some amateur who hasn't done a damn thing to fix his own stricken car. You are.

I've depended on cylinder head pros for my info.

You seem to get yours from your buddy.

Do you really believe that by "fixing your car" as you hope and I also hope for, provides you with superior knowledge? Really? Give careful consideration to what you said..

The status of his car or anyone's car has no relevance. The objective is to understand what is going on with the valves/guides.
And you think that he is giving you an "understanding" of that?

Which cylinder head professionals have you spoken with in order to get an "understanding" of what is going on here?

Or do you depend on your buddy for all of your "understanding" of this issue?

We are not comparing whose car is more reliable..

Do you proof read and perform a sanity check before you push the send key?
The point is, irrespective of who you think is more "knowledgable" about this subject, at the end of the day, where does it leave you?

Right where you were before. You don't know **** more about this matter and what some of you like to call the "root cause" then you did before this very moment.

If you do, well then post it up for those who care to see it.

Is your car tuned, and on the stock valves?

Perhaps you will end up with first hand knowledge of an engine failure running such a setup.

But if/when you do, I'll hardly be any more envious of that, than I currently am about your buddy's known grossly out of spec guide.

Try that on for size.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-04-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

You were the first I'd seen .....I'm in disbelief with the 1% myself. some ppl here think Katech is the answer to all things under god. and the story keeps changing. from what I've seen this is a heating issue and from what I remember we agree on that...excellent post and thanks for posting.

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 05-04-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Guides are still wearing out prematurely in these engines. Even those in late production.

Ask Howie above about his 2011 built engine and I have pointed go one in here which was a September 2012 build which Mark 200X tried to dismiss because it was an intake guide. [...]
I dismissed it because it was not proof of your claim that the OEM exhaust valve is culprit.

In fact it is circumstantial evidence that machining or geometry is the culprit, which you vehemently deny.

So in trying to misrepresent what I said/my position, you only condemn your own position to failure. Priceless
Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I dismissed it because it was not proof of your claim that the OEM exhaust valve is culprit.

In fact it is circumstantial evidence that machining or geometry is the culprit, which you vehemently deny.

So in trying to misrepresent what I said/my position, you only condemn your own position to failure. Priceless
Funny you mention that, because I'm looking at your continued insistence that the valves can't be the problem, after you supposedly sectioned 3 of them, but failed to examine the valve stem lumen in either of them.

Worthless.

But don't feel bad. You have at least one newbie in here who actually thinks that you know what you're talking about in the wake of such half assed "research".

Some are easily impressed.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
How many will it take for ppl to see they are wearing guides and it's causing failures even Katech has said this so what is the debate at this point? look at how many ppl on this forum that have checked their guides in the last 6 months to find out of spec in over 50%. How many will it take? if you think your car is fine then thats ok but to say this is a small issue is strange to me
The number of dropped valves makes it a small issue numerically and percentage-wise.

However, the incidence of excessive guide wear certainly is not showing to be a small issue percentage-wise. To the contrary.

The point I think the other poster was making was regarding engine failures.

Clearly the OEM exhaust valve will take a lot of abuse before failing, but at least in some cases fail it does and given the rather staggering percentage of extreme guide wear we are seeing everyone should be checking the guides -- at least IMHO.

Also, I would like to stress clarity when reading what others wrote (and, to constructively criticize, clarity of writing for some): Disagreeing on the root cause of the issue does not = disagreeing that there is an issue.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ramairws6
This is why i keep at it on the issue! In reguards to number 6. He will not answer the question us "valve crusaders" keep asking, if it is a valve concentricity problem why have not ONE head shop that redo these heads for the said issue see a problem with valve concentricity!? [...]
They have. You just weren't listening or weren't looking in the right place. In fact someone posted it right here in this very thread, although it was not a first-hand report. I've also read others mention seeing it elsewhere, probably over on LS1Tech, in one case which I believe was a first-hand report.

Next, you should have seen it mentioned in the 400-mile-intake-guide thread (CGZ06?)... he reported the mechanic could see the concentricity issue first hand with a borescope while manipulating the intake valve by hand.

So, the reports are there. That's three of 'em, for starters. I guess you just missed out.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] But there are other experiences and opinions which are just as valid and have just as much merit deserve just as much consideration as do Katech's. [...]
I'm sure there is, but yours is not one of them.

But neither is mine
Old 05-04-2013, 08:40 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I'm sure there is, but yours is not one of them.

But neither is mine
Well I can appreciate the "clarity" in that above post.

And the one below.

Also, I would like to stress clarity when reading what others wrote (and, to constructively criticize, clarity of writing for some): Disagreeing on the root cause of the issue does not = disagreeing that there is an issue.
Now you know, .....that last sentence there, is a gem, because I was just thinking something similar.

Just because I've in the past referred to the stock valves as "crap", does not = they are "defective".
Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Funny you mention that, because I'm looking at your continued insistence that the valves can't be the problem [...]
Can you quote me on that?

Tell you what, I'll give you an easier task: just quote anyone's explanation of the inherent fault in the OEM exhaust valve that you guys insist must be replaced or you risk grenading your engine. You insist the valve is the problem, so tell us what's wrong with it.

Surely you know what's wrong with it, or you wouldn't be so strident in claiming it should be replaced.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:43 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Excellent post!

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Issues?

Old 05-04-2013, 08:44 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] Just because I've in the past referred to the stock valves as "crap", does not = they are "defective".
I'll grant you that semantic distinction.

So... why are they "crap"? What's wrong with 'em? Made in China?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:46 PM
ZeroDude
Intermediate

I'm far from any kind of expert but could the fact the guide is wearing also cause some seat wear? With all the play or wobble maybe the Valve doesn't hit seat "concentric" or evenly and cause wear? Like I said no expert just thinking and trying to visualize. I do also believe that added heat is caused by increased friction as the guides wear and this heat might overcome sodium ability to cool and the cause Valve break?

I'm not really sure why this Valve topic always seems to turn out to be a us VS. them thing either but I do try to read between the lines and learn along the way. I will be doing my heads towards the end of the GM Certified warranty my car is currently covered by .

I'm not even sure that I'll pay dealer for "wobble Test" first.

PS Anyone have any feedback on these
http://www.racingheadservice.com/rhs...501-06tts.html
Old 05-04-2013, 08:58 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Can you quote me on that?
Oh, my bad.

Do you believe that they could be?

... You insist the valve is the problem, so tell us what's wrong with it.
It breaks and leaves holes in people's engine blocks.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Issues?