Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My PRC and Black Widow Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 10:52 AM
07_r1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My PRC and Black Widow Build

Car is 2006 C6 Z06 with 69k miles, doesn't get tracked just my weekend warrior. This is a long write up but hopefully it will help others make some choices on want they want.

Mods:

New PRC LS7x 265cc Heads milled .030
Hollow stem intake valves/ SS exhaust valves
PRC .675 Dual Spring Kit
Custom Spec Black Widow Cam from Vette- Air
Ported Fast 102 Intake
Nick Williams 102 TB
Dynatech Long Tube 1 7/8 Headers
Comp cams trunion upgrade
Vararam Intake
New GM Timing Chain, Gaskets, LS7 Lifters, ARP Bolts
BTR Pushrods
160 Thermostat
No Cats and no mufflers

Power and Drivability Info:

First of all the cam is a nasty cam but with a good tuner it can be tamed. I asked Carlos from Vette- air to spec me a cam with a radical idle and to be right to the edge of hurting drivability and he nailed it. Thanks again amigo ! Talk to Carlos for specs but I will hint that mine was 110+2 LSA and around 27 degrees overlap !
Before removing cats and adding Fast Intake and TB car made 552 hp/ 498 tq
After removing cats and adding Fast Intake and TB car made 568 hp/ 523 tq
Most of gains were under graph and very noticeable in midrange close to 25 hp and 40 tq !
Drivability is not as bad as you would expect for a big cam with some surging below 2000 RPM in some gears nothing major and it will buck under 1500 but who drives under 1500 lol. I can cruise at 55 mph no problem with 60 mph in 5th gear being the sweet spot. At 70 mph I can cruise with the cruise control on at 1500 no problems. In 6th going down a long hill you may have to touch the throttle but it is very minor and isn't bucking.
Removing the cats actually took the drone away..6th Gear would blow your head off before and now it is better than have my LG GT2 mufflers on, really surprising.

Vendors:

Big thanks to Bobby Akers from KYSPEED (Pikeville, KY) for doing the install on everything. Even took the car to have it dynoed the first time and kept me updated with everything going on. Absolutely the fairest prices and very helpful with questions, always answered questions within 24 hrs, but usually with a few minutes. This guy builds some nice cars and I would highly recommend him to anyone in KY, TN, VA, OH, WV or any surrounding areas.

Bluecat Tuning (Ashland, KY) is a magician and a great tuner. While I could not be there for the 1st tune I was on the 2nd one. We done a total of 3 drivability tunes on street and 3 dyno pulls...totaling around 6hrs , just for re- tuning for the fast intake and removing cats ! This is the tuner you want if you are more about safe tuning your car and not chasing fluffy numbers. I was blown away by the effort and time he put in the car and tune and was very happy with everything. He showed me everything he was doing while he was doing it and even got a 570 rwhp vette to get 25 MPG again !

Carlos from vette air is the man for cam and build questions. Not a pushy salesman and very honest with expectations. I called him originally about porting my intake and over an hour later of questions was ordering a Black Widow cam lol..Thanks again man

Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 07_r1
Car is 2006 C6 Z06 with 69k miles, doesn't get tracked just my weekend warrior. This is a long write up but hopefully it will help others make some choices on want they want.

Mods:

New PRC LS7x 265cc Heads milled .030
Hollow stem intake valves/ SS exhaust valves
PRC .675 Dual Spring Kit
Custom Spec Black Widow Cam from Vette- Air
Ported Fast 102 Intake
Nick Williams 102 TB
Dynatech Long Tube 1 7/8 Headers
Comp cams trunion upgrade
Vararam Intake
New GM Timing Chain, Gaskets, LS7 Lifters, ARP Bolts
BTR Pushrods
160 Thermostat
No Cats and no mufflers

Power and Drivability Info:

First of all the cam is a nasty cam but with a good tuner it can be tamed. I asked Carlos from Vette- air to spec me a cam with a radical idle and to be right to the edge of hurting drivability and he nailed it. Thanks again amigo ! Talk to Carlos for specs but I will hint that mine was 110+2 LSA and around 27 degrees overlap !
Before removing cats and adding Fast Intake and TB car made 552 hp/ 498 tq
After removing cats and adding Fast Intake and TB car made 568 hp/ 523 tq
Most of gains were under graph and very noticeable in midrange close to 25 hp and 40 tq !
Drivability is not as bad as you would expect for a big cam with some surging below 2000 RPM in some gears nothing major and it will buck under 1500 but who drives under 1500 lol. I can cruise at 55 mph no problem with 60 mph in 5th gear being the sweet spot. At 70 mph I can cruise with the cruise control on at 1500 no problems. In 6th going down a long hill you may have to touch the throttle but it is very minor and isn't bucking.
Removing the cats actually took the drone away..6th Gear would blow your head off before and now it is better than have my LG GT2 mufflers on, really surprising.

Vendors:

Big thanks to Bobby Akers from KYSPEED (Pikeville, KY) for doing the install on everything. Even took the car to have it dynoed the first time and kept me updated with everything going on. Absolutely the fairest prices and very helpful with questions, always answered questions within 24 hrs, but usually with a few minutes. This guy builds some nice cars and I would highly recommend him to anyone in KY, TN, VA, OH, WV or any surrounding areas.

Bluecat Tuning (Ashland, KY) is a magician and a great tuner. While I could not be there for the 1st tune I was on the 2nd one. We done a total of 3 drivability tunes on street and 3 dyno pulls...totaling around 6hrs , just for re- tuning for the fast intake and removing cats ! This is the tuner you want if you are more about safe tuning your car and not chasing fluffy numbers. I was blown away by the effort and time he put in the car and tune and was very happy with everything. He showed me everything he was doing while he was doing it and even got a 570 rwhp vette to get 25 MPG again !

Carlos from vette air is the man for cam and build questions. Not a pushy salesman and very honest with expectations. I called him originally about porting my intake and over an hour later of questions was ordering a Black Widow cam lol..Thanks again man

Wow,

Big congrats on the new build 07_r1.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:21 PM
ghoust
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice. I have almost the same setup going into my car this month! Can't wait for the results.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:08 PM
07_r1
Advanced

thanks guys...you will be happy ghoust...i would post up dyno and idle videos but I cant figure out how to get them from my phone to on here lol
Old 05-01-2013, 06:31 PM
0Myhardtop
Former Vendor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Nice dude and thanks!

It is good to hear that you got her rolling again.

Thanks,
Carlos
Old 05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

that's some good overlap but glad you tamed it somewhat
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
ClarksZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Wow, 4,000 rpm and up has to be insane !

Congrats on making your LS7 rock solid just like all the other bad *** LS motors out there.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 AM
HeadTurner
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

I have a similar set up with similar results..great cam! nice build buddy..
Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulations that is a nice set up! Carlos is the man....
Old 05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
07_r1
Advanced

appreciate it..he was def a huge help with helping me decide on the setup

Get notified of new replies

To My PRC and Black Widow Build

Quick Reply: [Z06] My PRC and Black Widow Build