Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
[...] Others with an agenda which centers around advancing the idea that the stock hollow stemmed valves not being at any fault in the LS7 valve train issu [...]
If there has been no factual finding of fault of the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue, how can their be any agenda in advancing the idea (fact, actually) that there has been no factual finding of fault in the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue?

In other words, how can the truth be an agenda?

CF: More bizarre every day . . . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
If there has been no factual finding of fault of the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue, how can their be any agenda in advancing the idea (fact, actually) that there has been no factual finding of fault in the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue?

In other words, how can the truth be an agenda?

CF: More bizarre every day . . . . .
I wasn't talking about you Mark200X.

You're alright.

I was talking about some of those other guys.

But with regard to your quote above which reads:

If there has been no factual finding of fault of the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue, how can their be any agenda in advancing the idea (fact, actually) that there has been no factual finding of fault in the OEM valves in the LS7 valve train issue? . . . . .
I see. So you're in an elevator with one other person, going up. You smell a fart and you know that the fart wasn't your "fault".

If there is no "factual finding of fault " that it was the other guy, i.e., you don't actually sniff the seat of his trousers, well then how can you conclude that it was he who farted and that it wasn't a problem with the air conditioning in the elevator?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Too bad you didn't check this story out before posting it since it really, really makes no sense at all; I am at a loss to explain how you got the same silly story from two different sources.

Anyway, if one understands the theory of how a sodium valve works, then one knows that the sodium cavity must extend to the head of the valve, because that's where the heat is -- the head receives the heat of combustion. If the sodium cavity did not extend below the bottom of the guide, the sodium would get very little heat to transfer up the stem, so what would be the point of the sodium?

For those who couldn't figure it out on there own and still don't get it after reading it, let's look at an image of a Manley NexTek sodium valve that has been posted here several times before, while keeping in mind that this is not the valve used in the LS7:

The dashed line on the sodium valve -- the one on the left -- depicts what? Yes, that's right -- it depicts the hollow area of the valve, right down to the head. That's. How. Sodium. Valves. Work.

There are other images of other brands of sodium valves that show the same thing -- the cavity goes all the way to the head. Because. That's. How. Sodium. Valves. Work.

I'm to the point with you that all i can do is shake my head. One things for sure, i do believe you are an engineer
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Like always
entertaining, but only opinion.
I have no clue how "agenda" fits here for the non-believers???
The entire post is just bizarre!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Well i do believe the answer i recieved from 2 major valve companies i spoke to today is enough to satisfy me. We ripped apart an '07' today with a windowed block and guess what was found!? Not too tough to answer right. The head of the exaust valve was broke clean off. What i am some what surprised about is that i am 95% sure both heads are fixable!. Anyway on to the answers....
We just got a set back from WCCH that he was able to repair after a dropped exhaust valve grenaded a motor. He was able so save another set awhile back that were in similar condition. Both blocks were toast.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:24 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I'm to the point with you that all i can do is shake my head. One things for sure, i do believe you are an engineer
Shake your dick for all I care, what you posted doesn't make any sense
Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Shake your dick for all I care, what you posted doesn't make any sense
Here, i'll spell it out for you. It's not a pat on the back type deal. I work with them all day long and just like you they always think they are right. You know what though, at the end of the day all the facts point at them being wrong no matter what that piece of paper they have says. Common sense and actually doing it hands on always seem to show their theory wrong and prevail in the end.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Here, i'll spell it out for you. It's not a pat on the back type deal. I work with them all day long and just like you they always think they are right. You know what though, at the end of the day all the facts point at them being wrong no matter what that piece of paper they have says. Common sense and actually doing it hands on always seem to show their theory wrong and prevail in the end.
Wasting your time, man, 'cause I have no idea what you're talking about. But the bottom line is that I've already explained to you how a sodium valve works, with pictures no less, so my point is made. If you still don't get it, I've done all I can and any tit-for-tat or various body part shaking isn't going to make you or me any smarter, so have a nice day
Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Shake your dick for all I care, ..:

Well now in all actuality and fairness, he has effectively "urinated" on all of your points, so, that would seem like the appropriate thing to do at this time.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:14 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 256 Posts

Mark for 'Dick of the Year' Award

'06Quick for ' Helping Many Forum Members ' Award
Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Mark for 'Dick of the Year' Award

'06Quick for ' Helping Many Forum Members ' Award
+1

with pictures no less . . .
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Wasting your time, man, 'cause I have no idea what you're talking about. But the bottom line is that I've already explained to you how a sodium valve works, with pictures no less, so my point is made. If you still don't get it, I've done all I can and any tit-for-tat or various body part shaking isn't going to make you or me any smarter, so have a nice day
Fair enough. Hey, why don't we settle this like real men. I challenge you to a race. Your light weight, light valve trained Vette against my heavy pig of an F-Body, lazy reving heavy *** SS valvetrain and see what happens
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Fair enough. Hey, why don't we settle this like real men. I challenge you to a race. Your light weight, light valve trained Vette against my heavy pig of an F-Body, lazy reving heavy *** SS valvetrain and see what happens
All right. Watkins Glen, 2 years from now. Loser has to buy Bill D. lunch

Alternate, closer to you, Road America if I can dig up my buddy that races there (spec Miata's I think... have lost touch with him over the years ).
Old 04-30-2013, 10:32 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-30-2013, 10:42 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i do believe the answer i recieved from 2 major valve companies i spoke to today is enough to satisfy me. We ripped apart an '07' today with a windowed block and guess what was found!? Not too tough to answer right. The head of the exaust valve was broke clean off. What i am some what surprised about is that i am 95% sure both heads are fixable!. Anyway on to the answers....

I was so sick of this controversey so i called Ferrea and another major vavle maker to try to get some answers. I won't name the second because of certain circumstances. The answer i got from both of them is that this valve should not have been hollow so close to the head of the valve. What's happening is the exhaust valve is coming out of the guide off the seat WAY TO far. It is unable to control the heat and is destroying the guide which in turn makes it weak and brittle.....wobbleing around is what was stated and popping the head off at the sonic weld. It was said that if the head of the valve was solid farther up into the guide it would have been fine.

So once again, it does seem to be a degree of more then one issue and the outcome were getting but they did say "not sure what the hell GM is doing putting that hollow vavle in a race piece" is beyond them!?? So let the attacks carry on but i am happy knowing the answer which i believe to be true all along.
We have been saying the same thing for years
Old 04-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gaklid
Well, I don't think it's going to be for pinks, but if he tries to pass me on the outside I'm gonna put him in the wall

Get notified of new replies

To Finally the Answer We've all Been....

Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Z.06
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Engineers

Yeah, you work with them. I think the real problem here is what you call them at work. "Boss", say it again "Boss". BTW, there are a lot of engineers here on CF and some of us work on our own cars for fun.

I am one of them.

Next time you ride in your car, pump some gas, or flip on a power switch -- you can think of us.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf8218
Your heads are off the car, at this point why would you keep anything OEM?

If one is paying out-of-pocket for the engine repair, the cost of appropriate upgraded parts is likely less than
the cost of labor + parts the second time around to fix it again...

If GM is paying under warranty, then of course one will likely do it their way. If a third-party warranty company
is paying, maybe negotiate upgraded parts wherever possible.

JMHO...
Old 04-30-2013, 11:20 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Okay, I just got it when reading the other guy's reply to this. By "them" you mean engineers. Sure, I've seen equipment where the engineers made a bad call (bad design, wrong part for the application, etc). Some of the bad calls were obviously cost-based, so maybe it wasn't their call, but it still turned out bad and in some cases had to be re-engineered. I've seen this from the manufacturing end -- 'at some point we have to take it away from the engineers and give it to the assembly line' -- and from the field end (after it's been in service and failed).

But none of that means you can claim that something is defective simply because engineers sometime make bad calls. You need some kind of linkage or evidence that the thing is defective or inappropriate for the application. If you put 2 tons in the back of a half-ton pickup, start driving it down the interstate and it breaks down a few hundred miles later, the pickup is not at fault, and the engineer did not make a mistake. Even if you try it with 10 pickups and they all fail about at about the same distance.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally the Answer We've all Been....