Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jedblanks
Really? Almost everyone mentioned abuse in one form or another.
I'm sorry you got called on context manipulation while committing an ad hominem, but textual diarrhea is not the solution. Let's move on and perhaps it will pass.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Was at the Glen yesterday when one of the other participants lost his engine between turn 1 and 2. Dropped enough oil that they couldnt clean it up by 4:30 so they closed the track an hour early. This brings the total that I personally know about to 9.
Bill
Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Of course we all know that when any engine blows it is a weak stock exhaust valve at fault, there's no way oil starvation, cast pistons, constant race use and/or over-revs, etc, etc, ever had anything to do with it, GM is always at fault. That's why threads that start like this one with ABSOLUTELY no information other than "another engine blew" are so important to making the internet and this forum so useful

Thanks for the information Bill it has been so helpful and enlightening.

Cheers, Paul.
In fairness to Bill, he seems to be a pretty solid guy. He just stated some basic info- he may not have anything more right now. He doesn't seem to have an agenda or be a sensationalist, unlike a couple of other folks who come to mind. Maybe he'll provide more details if they become available.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

Waiting to hear about the car from OP
Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM
TWS Racing
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm in both acceptance (I'm not doing anything about it, except to refrain from mods that void my warranty) and bargaining (the problem was unofficially fixed 2/11 and my 2012 3LZ was built 11/11, so I convinced myself that my motor is safe )

From the large amount of Corvette enthusiasts I know in local clubs and reading on the boards, but it seems like most LS7 failures are in 2008 and 2009 ZO6's. I have no explanation to give, it's just my casual observation.

Last edited by TWS Racing; 04-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Les
In fairness to Bill, he seems to be a pretty solid guy. He just stated some basic info- he may not have anything more right now. [...]
True, but the lack of details only prompts people to assume them or make them up. Given that, headlines are best withheld until facts are known. Otherwise you just have a feeding frenzy of speculation.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:40 PM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bill, do you know if he was wearing a helmet?

Did he change his flugi-gasket at every oil change?

Was the dinkerator replaced at 10k miles?

Gees, tough crowd in here Bill. I for one appreciate hearing about popped motor. It simply provides me with more incentive to upgrade when the factory warranty is close to expiration.

JJ
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So there isn't a difference between a 20,000 mile bone-stock weekend cruiser that pops, and a 90,000 mile car with 15,000+ *****-to-the-wall track miles on it?

There have been a few threads here bashing GM with loads of conspiracy theory, demands for warranty coverage and OMG the sky is falling type posts - but everyone kind of forgets that some of these cars held up for the equivalent of five 24 hours at Le Mans events PLUS 60+ thousand highway miles before having a failure, with NO maintenance?

From the tone of your post(s), I should be more surprised that the car failed than the owner(s) actually expected the car to take that kind of abuse with nothing more than a Mobil1 5w30 oil change (while kind of blaming GM for the free motor too?)? Seriously?

Who knows if THIS situation is similar or not, Bill hasn't clarified yet but you seem to know already? As for me, my post was to illustrate just that: before we all pile on with the "it's the valve!" comments, perhaps further clarification will help us understand if this is another premature warranty issue versus a well-abused car that finally let go. That's the difference between "defect" and "well, **** happens."
Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM
rfopt
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TWS Racing
I'm in both acceptance (I'm not doing anything about it, except to refrain from mods that void my warranty) and bargaining (the problem was unofficially fixed 2/11 and my 2012 3LZ was built 11/11, so I convinced myself that my motor is safe )

From the large amount of Corvette enthusiasts I know in local clubs and reading on the boards, but it seems like most LS7 failures are in 2008 and 2009 ZO6's. I have no explanation to give, it's just my casual observation.
I had the same thought as well.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Sure...it's just plain old fact finding. Any information is useful in determining a conclusion.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:57 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

And you think those questions are irrelevant?

If the car has modified with a big cam and no head work to compensate that would be categorized as a failure from abuse. If the car is not 100% stock with a factory tune that can also be categorized as abuse. If the car spends most of its life on the track that is categorized as abuse.

From this thread as with most on this forum about this subject there are three sides.

1. Blame abuse every time with or without facts or details

2. All LS7's are flawed and abused or not will fail

3. The middle guys who blame a little on design and a little on abuse and are looking for facts before jumping to conclusions and crying out that the sky is continuing to fall.

Like it or not each case is unique. You can't just lump them all together. It failing on the track does point in a direction of abuse however. Maybe it was the guys first time out though. Maybe the car had 60K miles on it. So many questions ZERO information so far in this thread to made any conclusions.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
And you think those questions are irrelevant?

If the car has modified with a big cam and no head work to compensate that would be categorized as a failure from abuse. If the car is not 100% stock with a factory tune that can also be categorized as abuse. If the car spends most of its life on the track that is categorized as abuse.

From this thread as with most on this forum about this subject there are three sides.

1. Blame abuse every time with or without facts or details

2. All LS7's are flawed and abused or not will fail

3. The middle guys who blame a little on design and a little on abuse and are looking for facts before jumping to conclusions and crying out that the sky is continuing to fall.

Like it or not each case is unique. You can't just lump them all together. It failing on the track does point in a direction of abuse however. Maybe it was the guys first time out though. Maybe the car had 60K miles on it. So many questions ZERO information so far in this thread to made any conclusions.
All we know is a C6Z of undetermined age/mileage was on a road course, and the motor blew. That's FAR less shocking to me than, "I was heading to the grocery store at 45 mph when my motor exploded".
Old 04-27-2013, 02:02 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
I'm sorry you got called on context manipulation while committing an ad hominem, but textual diarrhea is not the solution. Let's move on and perhaps it will pass.
I have moved on, with SS valves and bronze guides. And let me tell you the perspective from this side is wonderfully amusing.

All of those people left behind with stock toy parts, flailing like a fish out of water, defending their lack of motivation to fix it. So, yes, let's move on.

Originally Posted by Random84
So there isn't a difference between a 20,000 mile bone-stock weekend cruiser that pops, and a 90,000 mile car with 15,000+ *****-to-the-wall track miles on it?

There have been a few threads here bashing GM with loads of conspiracy theory, demands for warranty coverage and OMG the sky is falling type posts - but everyone kind of forgets that some of these cars held up for the equivalent of five 24 hours at Le Mans events PLUS 60+ thousand highway miles before having a failure, with NO maintenance?

From the tone of your post(s), I should be more surprised that the car failed than the owner(s) actually expected the car to take that kind of abuse with nothing more than a Mobil1 5w30 oil change (while kind of blaming GM for the free motor too?)? Seriously?

Who knows if THIS situation is similar or not, Bill hasn't clarified yet but you seem to know already? As for me, my post was to illustrate just that: before we all pile on with the "it's the valve!" comments, perhaps further clarification will help us understand if this is another premature warranty issue versus a well-abused car that finally let go. That's the difference between "defect" and "well, **** happens."
And I have "textual diarrhea".

When it comes to dropping a valve, the defective (admitted by GM) manufacturing that causes it doesn't change based on use or abuse of the car.

No sir.

Everyone is a expert genious mechanical tough guy behind their Internet keyboard.

How many of you have actually had your hands dirty and seen theis thing first hand?? Lol.

Last edited by jedblanks; 04-27-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I see the "it won't happen to me, because this was a case of abuse" crowd is in full force this morning.

Denial (I'm not checking my valves)
Anger (I've checked my valves and I'm posting a video. Eff GM)
Bargaining (if I don't abuse my car, will you spare it mr corvette god)
Depression (ill just get rid of it and move on)
Acceptance. (My heads are fixed and the beast is back)

Maybe I'll start a poll to see which stage forum members are in.
Bill says that he has now seen or knows of 9 LS7 motors failing.

That is not the kind of news that anyone in here wants to hear. Whether it is those who are of the belief that this issue is overblown, or of the belief that the issue is rampant.

I don't believe that anyone, any owner, no matter which position they take, wants to know of yet another LS7 failure regardless the cause, whether it was a valve or not, because another report, is yet another strike against the overall robustness and durability of the LS7 engine. Another black eye for the LS7. Valve or not.

You know Jed, one of the things I don't miss at all, since I left the belief that this matter was blown out of proportion, is making excuses everytime a report of one of these cars failing, hit the board.

Trying to explain it away and introduce "reasonable doubt" amongst anyone reading the report, by throwing out there that the car was abused, tracked beaten on, the driver missed a shift, etc.

And then shooting the messenger who brought it up in the first place.

I see what's going on here, and it reminds me a lot of what I used to do.

Things are indeed different from this perspective. It's so good to not have to proffer excuses for yet somebody else's car having failed, for yet some other poor sap's car having blown up, and trying to pin the blame on anything else I could think of, while shooting the messenger for being "irresponsible" and bringing bad news in here, and pouring gasoline on the fire and stirring the pot in the first place.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-27-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

I have moved on, with SS valves and bronze guides. And let me tell you the perspective from this side is wonderfully amusing.

All of those people left behind with stock toy parts, flailing like a fish out of water, defending their lack of motivation to fix it. So, yes, let's move on.

And I have "textual diarrhea".

When it comes to dropping a valve, the defective (admitted by GM) manufacturing that causes it doesn't change based on use or abuse of the car.

No sir.

Everyone is a expert genious mechanical tough guy behind their Internet keyboard.

How many of you have actually had your hands dirty and seen theis thing first hand?? Lol.
**Genius**

You seem to be very combative without reason.

Congrats on doing an update on your drivetrain. Do you know the long term effects on running the SS exhaust valve which is much heavier than the stock? Did you upgrade your springs as well? For all you know 20K miles from now you might just be another statistic on how running SS exhaust valves caused failure in other areas of the drivetrain. So don't go patting yourself and congratulating yourself too much now.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:16 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

You know Jed, one of the things I don't miss at all, since I left the belief that this matter was blown out of proportion, is making excuses everytime a report of one of these cars failing, hit the board.

Trying to explain it away and introduce "reasonable doubt" amongst anyone reading the report, by throwing out there that the car was abused, tracked beaten on, the driver missed a shift, etc.

And then shooting the messenger who brought it up in the first place.

I see what's going on here, and it reminds me a lot of what I used to do.

Things are indeed different from this perspective. It's so good to not have to proffer excuses for yet somebody else's car having failed, for yet some other poor sap's car having blown up, and trying to pin the blame on anything else I could think of, while shooting the messenger for being "irresponsible" and bringing bad news in here, and pouring gasoline on the fire and stirring the pot in the first place.
I'm confused by this. Are you saying details on failure are no longer relevant in your mind?

I think bringing in info on "another failed LS7" without details is irresponsible at best. Yes some fail without reason, or so the owner says, but many fail due to modification and or abuse as well. To ignore those statistics is also irresponsible.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:34 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm confused by this. Are you saying details on failure are no longer relevant in your mind?

I think bringing in info on "another failed LS7" without details is irresponsible at best. Yes some fail without reason, or so the owner says, but many fail due to modification and or abuse as well. To ignore those statistics is also irresponsible.
I think they are indeed relevant.

Especially for the poor soul whose motor just popped.

But as I stand at a distance propain, I'm sort of ashamed to say it, but when I see these failures now, first thing that comes to mind is "better him than me."

I know, that's a $%#*++Y thing to say, but I'm just to a point now to where I've seen enough.

It eventually wears you down.

You become jaded and you get to a point to where you just don't care to argue in here as to what "might" have caused it to fail.

The only thing you can do, as a concerned owner, is take steps to lessen the chances of your being next.

That's it.

At the end of the day, that's all that you can do. Search out and do your best to eliminate potential failure points.

I think that at this point, we have enough information now, with or without Bill's report, with or without the official cause of death for this one motor out of several, being known, to make up our minds here.

I say that, because even IF.....EVEN IF, it turns out to be the "classic" dropped valve........Do you, propain, think that it would change anyone's in here who has responded in this thread, mind?

I don't.

Back in the day, I was doing, what you see a few of these guys in this thread right now doing.

Offering up excuses for why somebody else's car, not my car mind you, but why somebody else's car, "might" have failed.

Believe me, it's not worth the time, and is a flat out dead end. Jed, sort of alludes to it above in post #31. When you simply no longer have to worry about the particular type of failure which many in here in their posts are alluding to, it's like being let out of jail. It's relieving. You get out from under it. You escape it. You're no longer captive to it, susceptible to it. Despite the objections and naysayings of some, you're cured of it. Vaccinated against it. Immune to it. You've got your vest on. So there is no need to argue, dream up reasons, and make excuses about why somebody else's car failed. The fact that their car popped, is not going to cost you a dime. It's not your problem, and you have taken steps so that if it is the type of failure often spoken about on this forum, well then it likely never will be your problem.

And when that happens, you no longer need to argue about it and speculate as to whether or not it hit someone else. The fact is, it didn't, and isn't, going to hit you. And you feel good about that.

Again, though, and I have mixed feelings about this, and reservations about saying it, but I don't really care why that car failed. People in here are hollering valve this, and valve that, I don't really care. Mine is still running.

The only thing I can do, is my best to keep it running.

I hope for you the best in your efforts, propain.

Good luck.

Ricky

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-27-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I have moved on, with SS valves and bronze guides. [...]
So, this was an OEM valve failure, right?

See, we don't need any further info from the OP at all!

Get notified of new replies

To Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday

Old 04-27-2013, 04:09 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I'm confused by this. Are you saying details on failure are no longer relevant in your mind? [...]
I believe that he's saying the car in the OP dropped an OEM exhaust valve.

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
You know Jed, [...] Things are indeed different from this perspective. [...]
Given these multiple confirmations, it must be true
Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At this point, who cares WHY it blew, just that a catastrophic failure occurred again is bad enough.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:35 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see the "it won't happen to me, because this was a case of abuse" crowd is in full force this morning.

Denial (I'm not checking my valves)
Anger (I've checked my valves and I'm posting a video. Eff GM)
Bargaining (if I don't abuse my car, will you spare it mr corvette god)
Depression (ill just get rid of it and move on)
Acceptance. (My heads are fixed and the beast is back)

Maybe I'll start a poll to see which stage forum members are in.
I think some are still at number one because they say well it was tracked How many engines will it take....tracked modded stock low miles all the same problem damn ppl wake up

Quick Reply: [Z06] Another Z engine bit the dust yesterday