Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Overheated Starter due to headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This is what I ended up doing... I only layered the areas closest and have 'line of sight' to the headers on the bottom portion of the starter. This is the area that I assume would be the hottest since they're so close to the header piping. I didn't cover any 'vents' or 'holes' that might be used for circulation.

The top part is uncovered.

Last edited by Jawnathin; 05-03-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Put 60k miles on my Vette without issues.....haven't had any issues with customer cars in the last 15 years doing these.

Heck we ran stock starters on the W.C. cars and Pro's right out of the box with no coating, and no extra shields. Never had starter issues with those cars.

Could honestly be just a bad starter....didn't see what kind of headers you had on the car.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Zel06
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are American Racing Headers. I tried using the thermal wraps and it did'nt help. I'm with you thinking that it might be a bad starter. I already bought a aftermarket starter (MSD) but have'nt put it on yet. Does anyone have any input on the MSD starters?
Old 05-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Okay, I took the car out today with the Therm-Tec adhesive tape on the starter and I can verify that the stuff doesn't stick very well. The layers on the right (rearward) covering the textured finish fell off. The tape on the left with the more polished finish was still there. Not sure when it fell off but I did drive about 40~ miles today, some at highway speeds.

To be fair, I should have done a better job prepping the surface the first time. I did wipe it down yesterday but not well enough. So I degreased it (it was a little dirty and its a rough surface) and reapplied the two layers on the right side. Hopefully they stick this time. I will check after my next drive.

So far, moral of the story is, do a better job prepping it or find some better sticking tape. If these layers fall off I'll be re-ordering something else, but hopefully stickier.

I do think this thermal tape is a good step in keep heat off the starter from headers because as Bedouin mentions, the heat resistance offsets any heat retention caused by the tape. Best part is, this is cheap and can also be applied from under the car without removing any equipment. It is a tight fit for hands but you can get in there.

This looks like another solution... looking at 2000F+ stuff. -
DEI 010408 1.375" Cool Tape - 15' : Amazon.com : Automotive DEI 010408 1.375" Cool Tape - 15' : Amazon.com : Automotive

Last edited by Jawnathin; 05-04-2013 at 03:43 AM.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 PM
NRVOUS
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed Pfadt headers on my LS2 and there is only 1/8" between the header and starter motor. Is this typical for these headers? Has anyone had starter failures from over heating their starter motor?
Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by NRVOUS
I just installed Pfadt headers on my LS2 and there is only 1/8" between the header and starter motor. Is this typical for these headers? Has anyone had starter failures from over heating their starter motor?
I think the Pfadt headers for the LS2 are slightly different in design (I've seen an image where it shows all the piping for the various headers they have. Not sure if it is different in that area compared to the LS7 headers though.

My picture above is a set of PFADT headers on my LS7 and besides the narrow gap in clearance at the front (about 1/4th an inch?) there is plenty of clearance all around. As you can see I was able to get my hands in there and apply the thermal tape.

Regarding failures due to headers... well, thats what this conversation is about. Some folks say it was destined to fail and the header heat was a catalyst to that, while others have had no issues after many miles. I have had no issues yet, but I am slightly concerned since it gets really hot down there. I am not going to go off the deep end trying to fix a problem I don't have, but I did do what I could by applying the thermal tape. It is a very cheap and easy method to help against radiant heat coming off the headers. I may never have a problem with the starter but I figure this couldn't hurt and could possibly prevent an issue down the line.

Speaking of which... an update to my reapplied thermal tape. I drove it around yesterday and so far so good. It wasn't in the same conditions as the previous day (it was very hot, more driving, more freeway) but through a 20 mile round trip, they've stayed on. This was with the Therm-Tec 2000F heat resistant tape.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 AM
NRVOUS
Cruising

Blair has said the headers are the same. The x-pipes are different. Regardless, I did order the LS7 (Z06) configuration and I also bought Z06 Corsa Sports so I have 3" pipes all the way back. Blair said this would work on a LS2 C6. I haven't had any issues getting the headers and x-pipe installed, need longer primary O2 sensor extenders. I just am concerned with how close the header is to the starter. Like yours, I am close at the front of the starter, maybe a little closer that you are. I did order a Lingenfelter carbon heat shield for the starter to protect it. Some people have said they had issues with starter failures, some not so I figure this is cheap insurance.

I am pretty sure that the heat shield will make contact with the header when I install it and I don't know if that will create any other issues? Thanks for your response.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:28 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Ah yeah, I guess it is the X-Pipe then. I wonder if the LS2 starters are in a slightly different position? Normally I wouldn't think so, but the LS7 cars do have a dry sump and oil lines that run all around that area and our battery is mounted in the rear, so it is possible they are positioned slightly differently.

Well I guess the issue you could possibly see with such little clearance is the inability to install the heat shield or constant contact with the heat shield with the header.

Then if you can get it in, I'm not sure what that heat shield is rated for in terms of temperature, I assume pretty high, but maybe the close proximity could bring temps up beyond the heat range the shield is good for.

You mention 'Carbon'... is the heat shield made of carbon fiber? If it is made of metal, you could possibly bend or modify it slightly for additional clearance if it doesn't fit. It doesn't change the clearance issues between the starter and header but at least you could get it in.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
LeftLane Z06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
A better idea than completely wrapping the starter I feel. A heat shield will block the radiant heat, but let the starter disapate any heat it generates on its own.

The Lingenfelter starter heat shield does not wrap the starter.. It's merely a ceramic shield that blocks the starter from radiant heat. The starter will not generate any heat itself that anyone needs to worry about. The heat that gets into the starter is transferred heat from the motor or radiant heat from the starter.
Still the Lingenfelter shield provides good protection from heat from the headers.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Put 60k miles on my Vette without issues.....haven't had any issues with customer cars in the last 15 years doing these.

Heck we ran stock starters on the W.C. cars and Pro's right out of the box with no coating, and no extra shields. Never had starter issues with those cars.

Could honestly be just a bad starter....didn't see what kind of headers you had on the car.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:35 PM
NRVOUS
Cruising

I finished the install with the Lingenfelter starter heat shield. Everything seems good. I have the Pfadt headers with the Z06 xpipe and Corsa Z06 sport mufflers. It's a great setup and sounds completely different. Sounds like what I think a vette should sound like from the factory. The headers are awesome. Great fit, drivers side went in without jacking the engine. The passenger side went in after jacking the engine about an inch.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Overheated Starter due to headers