Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Interesting opinions on PRC 265 heads from different shops...

Old 04-19-2013, 11:39 PM
TotesMcGotes
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for what its worth. I just had PRC 265 heads (w/ Hollow-Stem intake/exhaust valves) put on my otherwise stock 07 Z. actually its not bone stock, it has borla s-type exhaust and custom x-pipe. all the work was done by Cordes Performance Racing in Mesa, AZ.

anyways, the valvetrain is still a little noisy (which was explained to me that it probably would be beforehand due to the higher springrate in the PRC heads). but other than that they seem legit. I have ran it pretty hard a few times on the street and it runs strong.

i didn't get a before dyno, but with those heads, the exhaust, and a custom Nic D tune, it made 476whp 440tq.

I am very happy with it. this was really a preventative ordeal for me. so the peace of mind helps me sleep, and helps me pound the gas pedal without fear.

Last edited by TotesMcGotes; 04-19-2013 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:06 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TotesMcGotes
for what its worth. I just had PRC 265 heads (w/ Hollow-Stem intake/exhaust valves) put on my otherwise stock 07 Z. actually its not bone stock, it has borla s-type exhaust and custom x-pipe. all the work was done by Cordes Performance Racing in Mesa, AZ.

anyways, the valvetrain is still a little noisy (which was explained to me that it probably would be beforehand due to the higher springrate in the PRC heads). but other than that they seem legit. I have ran it pretty hard a few times on the street and it runs strong.

i didn't get a before dyno, but with those heads, the exhaust, and a custom Nic D tune, it made 476whp 440tq.

I am very happy with it. this was really a preventative ordeal for me. so the peace of mind helps me sleep, and helps me pound the gas pedal without fear.
So you have both hollow stemmed intake and exhaust valves?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 AM
TotesMcGotes
Cruising

Hmm im not totally sure. I went with the 300.00 upgrade on the heads based on the recommendations of the shop and texas speed.. There were the middle ones. The titanium ones were best but like 600 bones. Im not an expert.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:16 AM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
So you have both hollow stemmed intake and exhaust valves?
Huh?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:18 AM
TotesMcGotes
Cruising

Oh also the shop ported the intake manifold.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:22 AM
TotesMcGotes
Cruising

Texas speeds website says. "Hollow stem 2.20" intake/stainless exhaust vavle add 300.00" I went with thay.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:24 AM
TotesMcGotes
Cruising

Like I said. Im not even close to being an expert. I just wanted some peace of mind after reading all these scary stories
Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TotesMcGotes
Like I said. Im not even close to being an expert. I just wanted some peace of mind after reading all these scary stories
I'm reading that as the intake valves being hollow stemmed titanium, solid stainless steel, or hollow stemmed stainless steel.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that PRC 265 cylinder heads use solid stainless steel exhaust valves.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:04 AM
Lethal427
Pro

Mookster, have the PRC's installed, I have read of many members here doing just the same, as far as 600 rwhp, very hard to achieve , I have a aluminum 440" LMR with almost every bolt on money can buy!! I'm not there, I have had a cam installed that would have gotten me close, but, the drivability was so bad, I had it taken out immediately!! if your ready to devote your car too the track!!! get the nastiest cam you can buy, if your going to enjoy and drive on the street, buy a cam that goes along with your driving style, don't be hung up on numbers! and enjoy the hell out of it!! cam / heads and a couple bolt ons are all you need to achieveve a seriously fast street car , I couldn't love mine more, so fast!! Enjoy...

Last edited by Lethal427; 04-20-2013 at 05:07 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:04 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
I have WCCH heads on my car and we encourage people to use them, based on personal and professional experience
Personal example of Richard's (WCCH) customer server:

I purchased a set of (used) LS1 heads that had been worked over by WCCH circa 2004/5. After running the heads for a period of time one of the valve springs broke.

I called Richard to inquire about the springs and what I should replace them with. I told him that I purchased on the used market.

Richard explained that there had been a manufacturing issue with the springs (not his fault) and mailed me a couple replacement springs at no cost.

I think you know who will get my business when I do a heads/cam package on my Z.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mdaniel
Personal example of Richard's (WCCH) customer server:

I purchased a set of (used) LS1 heads that had been worked over by WCCH circa 2004/5. After running the heads for a period of time one of the valve springs broke.

I called Richard to inquire about the springs and what I should replace them with. I told him that I purchased on the used market.

Richard explained that there had been a manufacturing issue with the springs (not his fault) and mailed me a couple replacement springs at no cost.

I think you know who will get my business when I do a heads/cam package on my Z.

WOW.

So you didn't even originally purchase the heads from Richard back in 2004-2005.

Yet he still made good on them years later, a set of heads that you didn't even originally buy from him?

That kind of customer service, gets you noticed quickly. Just by giving you those springs, he got himself a customer for a larger item.

Had this been anyone else, I can just see it now. "Uh, sir, we don't know you and you didn't originally buy the heads from us, so get lost."

Not Richard though.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM
mdaniel
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
So you didn't even originally purchase the heads from Richard back in 2004-2005.
Exactly. I purchased them off the web used and a year (at least) after running them in my heads/cam/turbo C5 a spring broke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Interesting opinions on PRC 265 heads from different shops...