Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Brand new engine! Texas Speed 427+LS7R Cam!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 AM
icrashevos
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand new engine! Texas Speed 427+LS7R Cam!

So turns out my car was most likely abused before I got it. When I picked the car up from Carmax (bleh), I had some ridiculous valve noise that wasn't normal. The local dealer actually ended up redoing the top of the block. I later installed Halltech intake and tune. Made approximately 500 rwhp. Well, I got bored with that power, and decided it was time for a cam! But not just ANY cam, a high RPM cam designed for 4-7k power. Something that wouldn't give me massive torque down low (easy to launch on the stock stuff), but ridiculous power from a roll.

I decided to go with the Texas Speed LS7R Cam and supporting valvetrain mods. Specs are here:
http://texas-speed.com/p-1216-texas-...-camshaft.aspx
TSP LS7R Dyno Proven Street/Strip Camshaft 248/256 .658"/.658" 114+3 (with 1.8 rockers) Camshaft

The car was tuned with the cam, and made approximately 560rwhp after correction. Pretty crazy! On one of the last pulls, however... hello catastrophic failure. The car ended up blowing a hole right through cylinder 1 and 2! Cylinder 1's piston... evaporated. The rod was beat up, and I had fluid and debris everywhere. The head was demolished as well. I have some pictures I'll end up posting when I do a complete write up, but let's just say that the other 7 cylinders heads' were black, and cylinder 1 was like a white metal sponge.

Well, after 3 months of the car being down and in my garage, I ended up deciding to order a Texas Speed & Performance 427 Longblock with 11.5:1 compression, PRC265CC Heads, LS7R Cam, a FAST 102 manifold, Meziere Electric Water Pump, LG 1 3/4" Longtubes, B&B PRT Bullet Exhaust, and a RPS Half Carbon twin disk clutch.

Install went pretty good, but the shop ran into some issues that are whatever, but the car runs amazing now. I'm still in the breakin period of the motor and clutch, but can get to 4k with ~40-50% throttle safely. Startup still has a lot of work to go, but when it turns over, it's a BEAST.

Here's a clip of it idling in my garage before a friend and I went on a short drive around the block. In retrospect I shouldn't have done this so late (like 9:30 pm in a residential area with houses on both sides of the street), but hey.. these things happen.

More to come after I get a full detail and finish the breakin! (ignore the front bumper, I have taken it off a few times since then and the alignment was off. Damn european black headlights!)

This video is the first time I saw it actually running good on it's own at the shop.. you can tell how excited (and how loud) it is!

And for reference, this is the car before it blew up. Stock exhaust, but open.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:50 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by icrashevos
So turns out my car was most likely abused before I got it. When I picked the car up from Carmax (bleh), I had some ridiculous valve noise that wasn't normal. The local dealer actually ended up redoing the top of the block. I later installed Halltech intake and tune. Made approximately 500 rwhp. Well, I got bored with that power, and decided it was time for a cam! But not just ANY cam, a high RPM cam designed for 4-7k power. Something that wouldn't give me massive torque down low (easy to launch on the stock stuff), but ridiculous power from a roll.

I decided to go with the Texas Speed LS7R Cam and supporting valvetrain mods. Specs are here:
http://texas-speed.com/p-1216-texas-...-camshaft.aspx
TSP LS7R Dyno Proven Street/Strip Camshaft 248/256 .658"/.658" 114+3 (with 1.8 rockers) Camshaft

The car was tuned with the cam, and made approximately 560rwhp after correction. Pretty crazy! On one of the last pulls, however... hello catastrophic failure. The car ended up blowing a hole right through cylinder 1 and 2! Cylinder 1's piston... evaporated. The rod was beat up, and I had fluid and debris everywhere. The head was demolished as well. I have some pictures I'll end up posting when I do a complete write up, but let's just say that the other 7 cylinders heads' were black, and cylinder 1 was like a white metal sponge.

Well, after 3 months of the car being down and in my garage, I ended up deciding to order a Texas Speed & Performance 427 Longblock with 11.5:1 compression, PRC265CC Heads, LS7R Cam, a FAST 102 manifold, Meziere Electric Water Pump, LG 1 3/4" Longtubes, B&B PRT Bullet Exhaust, and a RPS Half Carbon twin disk clutch.

Install went pretty good, but the shop ran into some issues that are whatever, but the car runs amazing now. I'm still in the breakin period of the motor and clutch, but can get to 4k with ~40-50% throttle safely. Startup still has a lot of work to go, but when it turns over, it's a BEAST.

Here's a clip of it idling in my garage before a friend and I went on a short drive around the block. In retrospect I shouldn't have done this so late (like 9:30 pm in a residential area with houses on both sides of the street), but hey.. these things happen.

More to come after I get a full detail and finish the breakin! (ignore the front bumper, I have taken it off a few times since then and the alignment was off. Damn european black headlights!)
Texas Speed 427 C6 Z06 (LS7R Cam) - YouTube

This video is the first time I saw it actually running good on it's own at the shop.. you can tell how excited (and how loud) it is!
Texas Speed 427 C6 Z06 - YouTube

And for reference, this is the car before it blew up. Stock exhaust, but open.
LS7R C6 Z06 - YouTube
Your car dropped an exhaust valve. I would love to see the pics. Congrats on the new build sounds good love the black halo

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 03-29-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:13 AM
icrashevos
Racer

One of my rod caps was sheared off completely, which is rather interesting? I still have the rod and the block. I plan on mounting the rod to something for my garage and using the block for a table.

I have a lot of pictures of the damage... It's all on my Facebook account, but I need to rehost all the pics so you guys can see. Maybe tomorrow.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:47 AM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

One of my rod caps was sheared off completely, which is rather interesting? I still have the rod and the block. I plan on mounting the rod to something for my garage and using the block for a table.

I have a lot of pictures of the damage... It's all on my Facebook account, but I need to rehost all the pics so you guys can see. Maybe tomorrow.
I got my car in 2010 from carmax yellow too. Man I've seen what damage can be done from this so it's not really a shock to me. I'd be willing to bet thats what the cause is. if you can get the pics up for forum members to see would be nice. What dyno was this on? The good news is those heads you got now are the fix. the car sounds mean

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 03-29-2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM
icrashevos
Racer

It was on a chassis dyno, Dynacom. I think I like the idea of steady-state tuning and will try it out when this is done with break in.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This just in: Yellow cars 90% more likely to drop a valve.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM
icrashevos
Racer

Well there's some truth to that statement... Aren't there more yellow vettes than any other color?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Well there's some truth to that statement... Aren't there more yellow vettes than any other color?
Nope. Black is the most common C6 Z color along with red.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice setup. When do you expect it to be all buttoned up and ready for some WOT? Are you gonna get it dynoed again?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
icrashevos
Racer

I'm looking at 600rwhp on a dynojet when it's fully tuned. I still have ~400 miles to go on the clutch, but it should be a week or two until WOT.

Below... a LOT of pictures of the removal and install. Enjoy!

image hosting sites

Last edited by icrashevos; 03-29-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Hello pictures!
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Holy Cow thats the worst one I've seen. hell you can reach in an grab the cam. nice pictures well done great job on the new build all nice parts you got there . Congrats op thank you for taking the time to post this
Old 03-29-2013, 07:39 PM
icrashevos
Racer

No problem! It was pretty insane when we saw the holes the first time... talk about an eye opener.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:54 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome!!! love the pics!!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:57 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

No problem! It was pretty insane when we saw the holes the first time... talk about an eye opener.
No doubt this is a bad one you can tell it had some rpm when it let loose. was there oil on the dyno under the car then this happend. reason I ask is because failures like this can make you slide in your own oil. I did at 70mph at low rpm
Old 03-29-2013, 08:05 PM
icrashevos
Racer

Thankfully it was on the dyno when it let go, it could have been much worse (like WOT). There was oil everywhere. I ended up giving the front half of the suspension a bath in some degreaser while it sat (the rags in a circle, that stuff makes a huge mess) and cleaned up as much as I could. I also took an air gun and blew off all the dirt that got stuck in the back half (on the transmission and stuff).
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Thankfully it was on the dyno when it let go, it could have been much worse (like WOT). There was oil everywhere. I ended up giving the front half of the suspension a bath in some degreaser while it sat (the rags in a circle, that stuff makes a huge mess) and cleaned up as much as I could. I also took an air gun and blew off all the dirt that got stuck in the back half (on the transmission and stuff).
now if you had been on the street or the track this could have killed you. this is what I've been trying to tell ppl for years on this forum...thanks for all your info..again great job
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM
5280Racer
Drifting

thats quite the photo journal!

Get notified of new replies

To Brand new engine! Texas Speed 427+LS7R Cam!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:37 PM
dstiger
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

this thread: thank God I am not on dial up
Old 03-30-2013, 01:06 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
Nope. Black is the most common C6 Z color along with red.
Yeah but red is the fastest color
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Whoa - now that is a grenaded LS7.

Yikes.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Brand new engine! Texas Speed 427+LS7R Cam!