Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Finally scuffed up the hands and knuckles

Old 03-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Finally scuffed up the hands and knuckles

And put on the WCCH heads. It wasn't to bad except for the power steering pulley to get the alternator bracket off. That was a bear. Plus I refused to take the electric fan out and the abs bracket loose. I just reached down there with some swivels and 1/4" stuff and did it. Call me stubborn.

Regardless I had it running at 10:30 this morning and it sounds good. No leaks and nothing catastrophic as of yet. I'm just as leery of the engine now as I was before maybe even more so being I had my mitts in it. My day job isn't putting cylinder heads on. Time well tell how I did..

Mine was autographed on the inside...anybody else? I snapped a couple of pics but that was it. So add me to the safe but sorry club depending on my mechanical skills.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
And put on the WCCH heads. It wasn't to bad except for the power steering pulley to get the alternator bracket off. That was a bear. Plus I refused to take the electric fan out and the abs bracket loose. I just reached down there with some swivels and 1/4" stuff and did it. Call me stubborn.

Regardless I had it running at 10:30 this morning and it sounds good. No leaks and nothing catastrophic as of yet. I'm just as leery of the engine now as I was before maybe even more so being I had my mitts in it. My day job isn't putting cylinder heads on. Time well tell how I did..

Mine was autographed on the inside...anybody else? I snapped a couple of pics but that was it. So add me to the safe but sorry club depending on my mechanical skills.

As long as you used new bolts and gaskets, and dried out the bolt holes in the block, and otherwise followed the "How To" in the sticky of this section, I bet you did fine Griffee.

What does that signature read and what year is your car?

I ask because there is a poster, or was a poster of the people who worked at Wixom and who assembled the early LS7s.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 03-24-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:13 PM
Griffee
Pro

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
As long as you used new bolts and gaskets, and dried out the bolt holes in the block, I bet you did fine Griffee.

What does that signature read and what year is your car?

I ask because there is a poster, or was a poster of the people who worked at Wixom and who assembled the early LS7s.
2007 and James Knipp is the signature. Nice and big too.. He must have been happy with the way this one went together and gave it the proud signing..
Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

2007 and James Knipp is the signature. Nice and big too.. He must have been happy with the way this one went together and gave it the proud signing..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1559944144

Second photo at the top of the poster it seems.

And yes, someone in the who built your LS7 thread mentioned that he had a real knack for signing, as he signed an owner's fuel rail cover when he visited Wixom.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:47 PM
C6z06man
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice to see you getting your hands dirty. As long as you followed procedure and torque specs you'll be fine. But I'm a little bias as I have put on hundreds and hundred of cylinder heads in my day with many more to go. congrats on the fix regardless!!
Old 03-24-2013, 10:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Props for doing it yourself and making sure your LS7 lives a nice long troublefree life.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Glad to see you stuck with it Brian
Old 03-24-2013, 10:42 PM
My 07 Z
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did it take you? I'm getting ready to do mine and I'm debating whether to do it myself or have it done at a shop. Doubting myself a little, just don't want to get anything wrong
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 PM
fly a Z06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1559944144

Second photo at the top of the poster it seems.

And yes, someone in the who built your LS7 thread mentioned that he had a real knack for signing, as he signed an owner's fuel rail cover when he visited Wixom.
That was me. It was Carl Newton who signed my Z's FRC at Wixom in 8/07 on his 12/06 build. It's even better now that Charlie at RPM in Valencia, CA performed his reliability package in 10/12 at 65,000 miles. I can't comment if it's noisier or quieter because my original, not Fusion, B & B Bullets are so pleasantly loud, but it runs beautifully..

Joel

Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Griffee
Pro

Originally Posted by My 07 Z
How long did it take you? I'm getting ready to do mine and I'm debating whether to do it myself or have it done at a shop. Doubting myself a little, just don't want to get anything wrong
It took about 8 hours. Honestly I would have it done at a shop for sanity sake. I'm listening to every little noise(it seems as though my valve train is now louder...real or imagined I don't know), and I'm staring under the car for leaks. I wouldn't say the job was excessively hard, but I'm not a professional mechanic. I have all the confidence in the world in my profession, but someone elses profession not so much.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

It took about 8 hours. Honestly I would have it done at a shop for sanity sake. I'm listening to every little noise(it seems as though my valve train is now louder...real or imagined I don't know), and I'm staring under the car for leaks. I wouldn't say the job was excessively hard, but I'm not a professional mechanic. I have all the confidence in the world in my profession, but someone elses profession not so much.
Glad you got it back together, and if you followed all of the steps, you have nothing to worry about.

On a side note, take a look at this thread, at the first two posts by Jason, and the pics.

If you scroll down to the pictures he included of the cylinder heads, you may find something which looks familiar.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ack-500-a.html

Originally Posted by Grabber07'
How much does the 500 crate motor run out the door? Just in case I win the lottery
Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
It starts at $34768. The one you see here with the painted intake, CF valve covers, coil relocation, ARE dry sump system came in at about $40,000.
The same shop who did the heads for your car, did them for this $40K engine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583453518

And you can recognize their work.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Griffee
Pro

Glad you got it back together, and if you followed all of the steps, you have nothing to worry about.

On a side note, take a look at this thread, at the first two posts by Jason, and the pics.

If you scroll down to the pictures he included of the cylinder heads, you may find something which looks familiar.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ack-500-a.html

The same shop who did the heads for your car, did them for this $40K engine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583453518

And you can recognize their work.
Where are the crow smilies?....I can't find one..

Get notified of new replies

To Finally scuffed up the hands and knuckles

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Finally scuffed up the hands and knuckles