Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Synergy LS7 Smog package

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Synergy LS7 Smog package

Ok, so all of you who are in cali and are tired of trying to get more power out of your LS7 without having to worry about Cali smog laws, we built the answer for you. We developed our LS7 smog cam. A cam that sounds great at idle, and blowers super clean on a smog machine. Of course this means you have stock manifold and cats. This would mean a true smog setup. Another great thing is most of the C6Z06 owners around here are having issues with their valve guides and heads, so are taking the time to have them fixed. Well, this is the perfect time to add our smog cam. We have already had a hand full of people in the bay area go this route. Here are a few dyno graphs showing the potential of certain combos

This first graph is our original test car. This car has a set of WCCH heads we send out to have done a certain way, our custom head gaskets, Synergy Smog cam, and a few other tricks. But all built around the Stock manifolds, Stock cats, Stock catback, and just a callaway intake.

Name:  DaveHollarsSmogsetup.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  204.7 KB

This next combo is a pair of Stock heads, custom head gaskets, Synergy Smog cam, and with the addition to a pair of long tube headers.

Name:  DariusSmogCam.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  202.1 KB

This combo is another WCCH head package, custom gaskets, a few tricks, and our Smog cam again. This customer already had long tube headers as well.

Name:  53ff35e3-c1aa-4b0e-8f85-70f6eb48120c.jpg
Views: 1478
Size:  201.6 KB

Now this graph is the same car as the last graph, but just plotted against a completely stock LS7 Vette. This gives you an idea of the gain and power band you are looking at versus the stock car.

Name:  SmogcamversusStock.jpg
Views: 1537
Size:  221.2 KB

Enjoy.

Rick
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice to see you back on the Forums Rick
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
U2SKURD
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love seeing you on this forum Rick! Looking forward to my motor build.

Kevin,
Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by StockasaRockC6
Love seeing you on this forum Rick! Looking forward to my motor build.

Kevin,
Thanks Kev. We have a bunch a tricks waiting to go in to that build. I think its going to surprise some people.

R
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

double post

Last edited by transAm-98; 03-21-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:43 PM
transAm-98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Synergy Motorsports
Thanks Kev. We have a bunch a tricks waiting to go in to that build. I think its going to surprise some people.

R
Old 03-22-2013, 12:39 AM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As the recipient of the first LS-7 Synergy Smog Cam Package I could not be impressed with Ricks work and engineering. I called Rick in November and asked him to return my car back to stock so I could pass smog. I didn't want to play the game of changing headers every other year or look for some shady dude that would look the other way and pass my car. I resigned myself to living with stock power levels after years of having a fairly modified set up. He said "okay, but hear me out. I have an idea for a heads and cam package that will make nice power and pass smog with no funny business". Took me about 3 seconds to say lets do it!

This package is nothing short of awesome! 540 rwhp & 500 rwtq with stock drivability mannerisms. I'm not exaggerating, it drives like stock again. No surging, no bucking, no hanging idle, etc. When you put the hammer down it runs like a raped ape! It's a felony in second! All this with a completely stock exhaust. When you pop the hood the only thing that doesn't look factory stock is the Callaway intake.

At 2500 rpm on the smog dyno the car blasted out almost zero emissions. NO funny business! And... the car is quite again. The tunnel no longer burns the hair off your leg and the contents of the center console don't melt.

Incredible job Rick!

-Dave
Old 03-22-2013, 08:13 AM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Am I the only one thinking this is a 'miracle' package? guys are putting healthy cams like the phantom with stock manifolds and getting 525 rwhp or the famous torquer with stock manifolds and getting 515 but this 'smog' cam, I'm assuming is very mild is getting 540? Either the heads are 'wonder heads' or milled to get 13-1 compression (hence the "custom head gaskets") .......or both.

?? Not hating, just curious. I'm all ears
Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
Am I the only one thinking this is a 'miracle' package? guys are putting healthy cams like the phantom with stock manifolds and getting 525 rwhp or the famous torquer with stock manifolds and getting 515 but this 'smog' cam, I'm assuming is very mild is getting 540? Either the heads are 'wonder heads' or milled to get 13-1 compression (hence the "custom head gaskets") .......or both.

No, I am actually glad you brought that up and would be happy to tell you why.

the famous torquer cam is a great cam for instant hit of down low power, but the reason you dont make power with it is because it has way tooooooo much advance in it, the LSA is way to tight, and there is a very tiny intake lobe to go with it. All of which kill any top end power you try to make. But you do make great and fun low end power, but you also introduce a lot of over lap which on this cylinder head brings out a lot of low end driving problems. Its not a smooth cam down low.

Now, when you build a cam thats small to medium in size, you time the valve events just right, and you focus on just only what you need, the motor will do the rest. This is a philosophy I have followed for years. This head flows a lot already. You dont need a lot of cam. It also does not like a lot of over lap. So with this in mind, only give it what it needs, and the rest will happen just fine.

R
Old 03-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Racin Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me

Here's my take on 'miracle' package. I live in the People's Republic of California where modifying cars carries a stiffer penalty than growing dope or not paying your taxes. You can have your car impounded and taken from you for being modified. To have an option to increase the performance of my car dramatically and still pass the smog laws in Kalifornia is one heck of an accomplishment.

I'm not all that familiar with the specifications included in the package, cam specs, heads, head gaskets, etc. Frankly don't care. I got exactly what I asked for and more.

Bottom line...... If you happen to live in California, or anywhere else for that matter, want to add a 100hp to your car and have it look and drive like stock and pass smog, call Synergey Motorsports and talk with Rick.

-Dave
Old 03-22-2013, 10:59 PM
0Synergy Motorsports
Former Vendor

Dave is right. Even to add just 50-80HP to a car is difficult now a days and get away with it.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 PM
jbp8653
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Idle clip?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 AM
54greg
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Cost? Length of install?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM
Z06Samuel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice!
SAM
Old 03-23-2013, 09:50 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cost??
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

I too just got this package (I'm the 3rd example) and just picked up the car yesterday. Wasn't able to play with it much yesterday due to traffic and other stuff so today was the first day I was able to get some good seat time in the car.

I can answer any specific questions if someone has any, but to summarize...

The car behaves just like a stock car with the exception of a slightly rougher idle and a mild cam lope. The idle is MUCH better than other cammed cars I've been in, but just be aware that it does idle a bit more aggressively than stock. With the exhaust closed, the idle sounds a little more aggressive and eventually settles into a mild lope. When open, the car gets quite loud and its pretty obvious theres a cam in it. Great combination of noise when you want it and civility when you need it. Idle is now at 825 instead of 650.

I drive the car exactly the same as I did before, except I need to manage the throttle a little more carefully to prevent wheel spin . The car HAULS and sounds amazing when opened up. When driving around, the sound isn't much different with the exhaust valves closed but when open it is quite aggressive. Very calm when you want it to be and very angry when you want to open it up. Best of both worlds IMO.

Low Revs, High Revs, Freeways, Parking lots, no problem. I popped it into 6th @ 900rpm and no surging or bucking. Feels just like a stock car.

I was VERY concerned about drivability and good manners was my main requirements when I spoke to Rick. I was more than willing to give up some power for a car thats much more streetable. Rick nailed it with this package. I think this cam delivers excellent performance with stock drivability.

I was out with LS7 Drew earlier taking a quick video of my car. I let him drive the car around and he may have some impressions to share too.

Videos up in a few minutes...

Last edited by Jawnathin; 03-23-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Synergy LS7 Smog package

Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Old 03-23-2013, 09:16 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

His car drives exactly like my stock cam does, except faster obviously. If you couldn't hear the cam I don't think you'd know it had a cam driving around. Doesn't feel like it lacks power anywhere. Has very little shake at idle not much more than stock does (atleast compared to my car). Kind of a sleeper cam as you can hear, but it sounds sick when revd all the way up.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

From what we've seen so far in Jawnathin's videos and dyno, this is a very impressive package.

Well done.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Synergy LS7 Smog package