Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Quick School on a 2007 Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 03:25 PM
steveqolo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick School on a 2007 Z

I am currently trying to purchase a 2007 Z06 and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been beaten to death but need some quick schooling.

Are the 1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ trim packages available this year? If so, what are the easiest way to decipher this?

Do these packages offer different wheels? The car is equipped with competetion grey wheels (OEM Split 5's) and am not familiar with these at all.

Lastly, i've researched the rocker arm issue. I am currently trying to find out the engine number so I can do a little more reasearch. Is this an issue with all 2007's or just specific months? The car has 36k miles on it and it looks like people had these issues at a lot less mileage.

Any last specifics I should look for?

Thanks and appreciate the help.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
JesseRohr
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing...very interested in some of this info.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:37 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

no 3 LZ in 07. 2LZ will have the heated seat option, 1LZ will not.

Q44 option...competition grey aluminum wheels (Z06)

Only certain serial numbers had the rocker arm issue...not sure what they are though...sorry.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 03-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:43 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Check the RPO sticker in the glove compartment. That will give you the codes for every option on the car. 3LZ came in 08. You can get a good idea whether you have to worry about the rocker issue by checking the date the car was built. That is shown on the driver's door or on the door frame. Engine would have been built only a few weeks before the car.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-18-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:45 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by steveqolo
I am currently trying to purchase a 2007 Z06 and have a few questions. I apologize if these have been beaten to death but need some quick schooling.

Are the 1LZ, 2LZ, 3LZ trim packages available this year? If so, what are the easiest way to decipher this?

Do these packages offer different wheels? The car is equipped with competetion grey wheels (OEM Split 5's) and am not familiar with these at all.

Lastly, i've researched the rocker arm issue. I am currently trying to find out the engine number so I can do a little more reasearch. Is this an issue with all 2007's or just specific months? The car has 36k miles on it and it looks like people had these issues at a lot less mileage.

Any last specifics I should look for?

Thanks and appreciate the help.
My, purchased new 12/07, 2007 has 39K on the clock. I don't believe the 3lz was available then. The silver split spoke wheels were a no cost item,followed by Comp grey @ $400.00 and Chrome @ $2K Engine # will not tell you anything regarding the dropped valve issue. May tell you if you fall within the bad needle bearing issue. FWIW I have none of the common complaints precluding the valve drop issue. One catalytic convertor replaced early. No other issues. Bone stock drivetrain.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:23 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

if the rocker arm hasn't failed by now it most likely wont. my 07 was built within the window for the issue and has never had a problem.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
My, purchased new 12/07, 2007 has 39K on the clock. I don't believe the 3lz was available then. The silver split spoke wheels were a no cost item,followed by Comp grey @ $400.00 and Chrome @ $2K Engine # will not tell you anything regarding the dropped valve issue. May tell you if you fall within the bad needle bearing issue. FWIW I have none of the common complaints precluding the valve drop issue. One catalytic convertor replaced early. No other issues. Bone stock drivetrain.
I'm in the same boat with my 07' 38k miles. Did you pull your heads to check anything? See you at the Memorial Day Vette show in NH?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:13 AM
steveqolo
Intermediate

Thanks all for the great information.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? The owner is asking $42k (36k miles).

I have yet to check the car out. Says it has new tires / rotors / brakes. I understand this is a corvette but new tires already??

Only other issue I saw which was puzzling (again this is only from the pictures) is carbon build up on the two inner exhaust pipes. First thing that came to my mind is oil / popped motor but I can't seem to think if that was the case they wouldnt change that.

I plan on possibly seeing this vehicle this week. Any other information is much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 AM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If side air bags are important to you, they were only available on the 2LZ.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:48 AM
Svre46
Pro

Is there anything else I should be looking for? The owner is asking $42k (36k miles).

I have yet to check the car out. Says it has new tires / rotors / brakes. I understand this is a corvette but new tires already??

Only other issue I saw which was puzzling (again this is only from the pictures) is carbon build up on the two inner exhaust pipes. First thing that came to my mind is oil / popped motor but I can't seem to think if that was the case they wouldnt change that.

I plan on possibly seeing this vehicle this week. Any other information is much appreciated.
I have seen that a lot. I'm pretty sure its from the Dual Mode Exhaust. I wold not worry about it unless someone else can chime in why you should.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Svre46
I have seen that a lot. I'm pretty sure its from the Dual Mode Exhaust. I wold not worry about it unless someone else can chime in why you should.
Yup. This is normal. Nothing to worry about.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:54 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I'm in the same boat with my 07' 38k miles. Did you pull your heads to check anything? See you at the Memorial Day Vette show in NH?
Yes, See you there. I follow my Father's logic. "IF it ain,t broke don,t fix it ".
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

FWIW, I purchased my 07 with 13k miles on it back in 2010 for that same price basically...so price is not that bad since he does have new tires and brakes. I would ask why he's already purchased new rotors for a car with 36k on it Unless he just wanted to mod or upgrade for no reason
Tires being replaced is not uncommon at all at that mileage, when I bought my car with 13k miles on it, I got to about 17k and replaced the tires, GY Runflats SUCK IMO. (tire debate is a whole other thread)

I would also ask to either look at the Clutch fluid, or ask him how often he changes that.

As noted above 2LZ has dual heated seats, 3LZ package was not offered in the 07, that came in 08 MY.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2013, 04:18 PM
show723
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 Z as well, with 25 k, and I'm just as curious about the needle bearing issue. I read up on it but must have overlooked the date that I should be looking for on my Z. Not sure what dates the issue fell between.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:42 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Yes, See you there. I follow my Father's logic. "IF it ain,t broke don,t fix it ".
that logic unfortunately doesnt work in this case. once its broke, she gone.....sorry..lol

tires and brakes wouldnt be first on my list of concerns, those are easy. look deeper than that.. At 36k it should almost have its 3rd set of tires and maybe even 2nd set of brakes. LOL. anyway good luck with your purchase, have fun!

Last edited by erikszr1; 03-19-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The black inner tips indicate the owner probably has a Mild 2 Wild switch installed or the exhaust fuse pulled so the inner muffler flaps are open so all the exhaust is exiting through the center two pipes. If the dual mode exhaust was working in its normal mode the outer pipes would be sooty.

Valve drop is a major concern. I had my engine replaced after a valve dropped 19 months ago.

At 38K miles the car could easily be on its 3rd set of tires. Typical tire mileage is around 13K miles with some people getting up to 18K. Clutch fluid can get dark quickly but that isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. Have had 2 C5s and 1 C6 over the last 16 years and never had a clutch issue due to the fluid. When my engine was replaced I had a remote clutch bleeder put in and I decided to flush the fluid (which was black) last week. Car has only been driven 50 miles or so and the fluid is already changing color.

Bill
Old 03-19-2013, 11:57 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have an 07 2LZ, 10,600 miles, second set of tires already, a cam, headers/exhaust, worked cylinder heads, replaced rocker arms and I'm loving the car each day.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick School on a 2007 Z

Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 AM
Zed_six
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wanted to point out that there was a polished wheel option in 2007 not chrome. Labor involved was the reason why it was the most expensive wheel option.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 AM
steveqolo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The black inner tips indicate the owner probably has a Mild 2 Wild switch installed or the exhaust fuse pulled so the inner muffler flaps are open so all the exhaust is exiting through the center two pipes. If the dual mode exhaust was working in its normal mode the outer pipes would be sooty.

Valve drop is a major concern. I had my engine replaced after a valve dropped 19 months ago.

At 38K miles the car could easily be on its 3rd set of tires. Typical tire mileage is around 13K miles with some people getting up to 18K. Clutch fluid can get dark quickly but that isn't as big of a deal as a lot of people make it out to be. Have had 2 C5s and 1 C6 over the last 16 years and never had a clutch issue due to the fluid. When my engine was replaced I had a remote clutch bleeder put in and I decided to flush the fluid (which was black) last week. Car has only been driven 50 miles or so and the fluid is already changing color.

Bill
Should valve drop be an issue at this mileage?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:02 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
I have read thread after thread about people having problems at the drag strip, or even on the street with various issues with the clutch sticking, or just not functioning properly, and its been linked to dirty fluid as one of many problems.. fluid is chedked and low and behold its black as coffee Worth making note of as we all know clutch ain't cheap to replace

Should valve drop be an issue at this mileage?
There is no rhyme or reason or pattern really to a large degree on what year car, or how many miles or whatever in terms of valve's dropping, thats why it is a pretty big concern.

At a minimum it's worth having the Valve Guides checked and spending some money upfront vs potentially spending 15k+ to replace an engine.

Worse case scenariou you spend money on labor to have guides checked and they are fine... or , you will need to spend about 2k (maybe less if you choose to not have CNC Porting donee) to have the heads rebuilt if you want to address the problem.

IMO, the Z06 is still well worth the money, especially a used one like this in the 40's

Quick Reply: [Z06] Quick School on a 2007 Z