Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] My Z made it without dropping a valve, fix in works

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:27 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Default My Z made it without dropping a valve, fix in works

March 23 Edit: Top of page 5 is the arrival of the reworked heads. Assembly will follow.

I am very excited right now. While it looks to be a bit of work tearing the heads off, I have done this on many other engines. It is just a matter of time now.

10K miles on my Z06, 2007 model. #4 spark plug came out dripping wet with oil. Just above idle "knock" like noise that is worrisome.

My heads are going to go to Reher Morrison in Arlington, TX for Darin Morgan to massage into shape. Looks like a mild bump in compression (clean up mill), PP for mid range torque with the idea of bumping up to a mild cam late this year, bronze guides, new solid SS exhaust valves, and all Ti stem hardware. The stock intakes will be reused after cleaning up and some prep work.

I am going to have them measure the stock guides in place to give some additional information to the "oil on plugs" theory that floats around in here. Some believe it to be a real danger sign, others believe it is just a seal or even a valve cover seal(not such leakage on my Z). Best case is that it is just a valve seal on my Z06, but with the additional finds I made, I believe the exhaust guides on my right head are shot for sure and the left head is certainly up for debate. I will know for sure in 2-3 weeks.

Just idled the Z into location in the garage and she is cooling down. Gonna put her up on stands to help with my back during this, I am 6'5", and provide quick access to whatever I made need under the car during the work.

After my discussion with Darin Morgan, I have also decided to run the Yella Terra RRs I already have. I will be using the UMI spacer on the valve covers, though, and not the YT spacer gasket.

This should be fun. The adventure begins.

Last edited by WhiteDiamond; 03-23-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Heads

Hey
Are you going to post updated on your progress with a pic or 2 along the way. It would be interesting to watch along while your at it. I also have a 2007 Z, 4000 miles and I'm already worried. Mine was built in 9/06 what is your production date?
Good luck with the head swap, I'm not too far behind you.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteDiamond
[...] I am going to have them measure the stock guides in place to give some additional information to the "oil on plugs" theory that floats around in here. [...]

After my discussion with Darin Morgan, I have also decided to run the Yella Terra RRs [...]
I would be very interested if you could relay a synopsis of his thoughts on that issue (RR vs OEM rocker).
Old 02-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

10K miles on my Z06, 2007 model. #4 spark plug came out dripping wet with oil.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:14 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mark200X

I would be very interested if you could relay a synopsis of his thoughts on that issue (RR vs OEM rocker).
I installed the Comp trunnion kit this weekend, didn't think I would like it. It really quieted down the valve train. I also noticed a lot of slop in the stock trunnions while the kit ones were nice and tight after install. Beside giving me hold down bolts that were too long (had to use the old ones) it went well. Over 100 miles on them now and all's well.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:22 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by meanjoe
I installed the Comp trunnion kit this weekend, didn't think I would like it. It really quieted down the valve train. I also noticed a lot of slop in the stock trunnions while the kit ones were nice and tight after install. Beside giving me hold down bolts that were too long (had to use the old ones) it went well. Over 100 miles on them now and all's well.
For clarity, are you talking about the trunnion kit which modifies and upgrades the stock rockers, or a different set of rockers altogether?

My car will be getting the Comp Cams Trunnion upgrade and your report is very positive.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:33 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
For clarity, are you talking about the trunnion kit which modifies and upgrades the stock rockers, or a different set of rockers altogether?

My car will be getting the Comp Cams Trunnion upgrade and your report is very positive.
I think we're getting of topic on this thread, but........Yes I bought a set of LS7 rockers, new, off this site, added the trunnion kit to them, didn't want to experement on my rockers, screw up, and then be dead in the water. I would be very careful installing these, there's lots of room for error but my results were good. Also since they're a sponser here I guess it's OK to say that I got a great deal on the CC TKit from Texas Speed!

Last edited by meanjoe; 02-25-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:57 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed the Comp trunnion kit this weekend, didn't think I would like it.
Ahem. We....

Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think we're getting of topic on this thread, but........Yes I bought a set of LS7 rockers, new, off this site, added the trunnion kit to them, didn't want to experement on my rockers, screw up, and then be dead in the water. I would be very careful installing these, there's lots of room for error but my results were good. Also since they're a sponser here I guess it's OK to say that I got a great deal on the CC TKit from Texas Speed!
Thanks. Sounds like we're going to be running the same setup and your feedback was positive. I understand its 'normal', but I'd love to quiet the valve train if possible.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:45 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Mark200X
His very simple comment was that either bronze guides OR roller tip rocker arms would solve this issue if done at the factory. He didn't discuss roller tip'd rockers with me much, I ran out of time, but he had made some statements about the formulation of the sintered guides from the factory. Nice pieces if the set up is correct. Self consuming once they start to wear, though.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

His very simple comment was that either bronze guides OR roller tip rocker arms would solve this issue if done at the factory. He didn't discuss roller tip'd rockers with me much, I ran out of time, but he had made some statements about the formulation of the sintered guides from the factory. Nice pieces if the set up is correct. Self consuming once they start to wear, though.
Key points, I think. People always assume things are in-spec from the factory; but some cars are so very low mileage (well under 10K) - contrasted w/ abused/tracked cars that go for 80,000+ miles - and having valve/guide issues so early, it seems these cars must have come with guides out-of-spec at manufacture.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:56 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I am taking pictures as I move along. There really isn't "good" stuff to see right now, as I have all fuel system related pieces off and the intake and intake manifold. I will be removing the alt, PS bracket/tank, and the I am at the good stuff. Valve covers are still on and intakes are stuffed, to prevent anything going in, but the coil packs and such on the covers is removed. Had fun with the brake booster line off the back of the manifold....
Old 02-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Very interesting; I really appreciate the reply
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey
Are you going to post updated on your progress with a pic or 2 along the way. It would be interesting to watch along while your at it. I also have a 2007 Z, 4000 miles and I'm already worried. Mine was built in 9/06 what is your production date?
Good luck with the head swap, I'm not too far behind you.
note: check sticky for diy pics and info.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Head R&R is not a bad job at all.

Nothing like the care free feeling of a fresh set of stainless exhaust valves and bronze guides!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Well, everything is out that is in the way. All that needs to come off now is the valve covers, crank motor over to #1 TDC, remove rockers/pushrods, drop the 2 remaining exhaust manifold bolts on each head and unbolt them. Should have them on the floor tonight. The cool pictures will be up once they are off. Just don't see the need to post pix of the basic stuff done so far. The PS bracket wasn't terrible. I just walked the 2 bolts that don't hold the reservoir out a few turns at a time until it fully backed out.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Just some interesting info for anyone. I have removed everything so far with the fans in place, the ABS module is untouched so far, the coolant was in the car and all lines on until I actually decided to pull the intake. I'm not sure if it can be put back together this way, as I foresee a bunch of problems with the PS bracket. Once it is all off and the heads are in for service, I'll take another look at the engine bay and see if I will remove the fans and loosen the ABS module for the re-install of the heads. The reservoir for the PS pump was more difficult this way, as there is very little room to move it and get it off the bracket.

Get notified of new replies

To My Z made it without dropping a valve, fix in works

Old 02-25-2013, 10:09 PM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey White
Love the info so far and I wish you luck with rest of the job. Curious though, the 3 tone paint job it looks like you have?
Old 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I am very excited right now. While it looks to be a bit of work tearing the heads off, I have done this on many other engines. It is just a matter of time now.

10K miles on my Z06, 2007 model. #4 spark plug came out dripping wet with oil. Just above idle "knock" like noise that is worrisome.

My heads are going to go to Reher Morrison in Arlington, TX for Darin Morgan to massage into shape. Looks like a mild bump in compression (clean up mill), PP for mid range torque with the idea of bumping up to a mild cam late this year, bronze guides, new solid SS exhaust valves, and all Ti stem hardware. The stock intakes will be reused after cleaning up and some prep work.

I am going to have them measure the stock guides in place to give some additional information to the "oil on plugs" theory that floats around in here. Some believe it to be a real danger sign, others believe it is just a seal or even a valve cover seal(not such leakage on my Z). Best case is that it is just a valve seal on my Z06, but with the additional finds I made, I believe the exhaust guides on my right head are shot for sure and the left head is certainly up for debate. I will know for sure in 2-3 weeks.

Just idled the Z into location in the garage and she is cooling down. Gonna put her up on stands to help with my back during this, I am 6'5", and provide quick access to whatever I made need under the car during the work.

After my discussion with Darin Morgan, I have also decided to run the Yella Terra RRs I already have. I will be using the UMI spacer on the valve covers, though, and not the YT spacer gasket.

This should be fun. The adventure begins.

Good luck with the build.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:47 PM
WhiteDiamond
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Hey White
Love the info so far and I wish you luck with rest of the job. Curious though, the 3 tone paint job it looks like you have?
That is the CHEAPEST paint protection you can get!!!!!
3M automotive tape, 223, used for the drive when I brought it home to Houston from Washington State. Previous owner lives up there and I didn't want to subject the 6K miles Z to any serious chips on the way home Worked great

I pulled everything tonight except the last 10 large head bolts on each head. Stopped and organized everything. I also spent some time looking for a exhaust manifold bolt I lost and I think it is sitting up on the cradle somewhere not visible. I am going to have to feel around for it some more tomorrow.

I will get the heads off first thing tomorrow and clean up the surface on the block. Gonna blow all the holes out and get all coolant off the surfaces. I think I will spread a thin coat of oil on the cylinder walls after that and cover it up. Heads will be out at least 2 weeks according to Darin. It will be a long 2, but time to get all the needed replacement parts lined up and chase all the bolt holes clean.

Quick Reply: [Z06] My Z made it without dropping a valve, fix in works