Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2007 Z06 Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 01:16 PM
flazh02
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007 Z06 Electrical Problem

I have had the car for around 6 months without any issues. Driving home last night, I pulled into the garage and hit the button to kill the car and it litterally killed it. All electrical functions stopped working. I used the manual lever to get out and went to the trunk to check the battery. Wiggled the cables and the interior lights came back on. I then started the car and continued to try and wiggle the cables to see if there was a loose connection somewhere and nothing happened. I thought everything was ok...On my way to work this morning the car died on me after getting 2 blocks from my house. Same thing, nothing electrical worked. I went to the trunk again and wiggled the battery cables and this time it took longer but the lights came on and I was able to get the car home. Any ideas what could be causing this? The battery cables are tight on the posts. Just curious if there is anything else to check before towing it to the dealer.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:28 PM
Fartpipe
Le Mans Master

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like that one of the terminal wires may be broken if the terminals are connected and tight.Not sure how you could wiggle them if they were tight though?
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
flazh02
Advanced

when I say wiggle, I mean i just pulled on the cables where there was slack and moved it around.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
ZIE06Bernie
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flazh02
when I say wiggle, I mean i just pulled on the cables where there was slack and moved it around.
Check if you have voltage on the terminals of battery first because the possibility exists that the battery has an internal fault and the plates are broken away. The car would run on alternator till it stops then there is no power so everything stops. It could be that the movement of cables momentarily reconnected plates inside the battery and it may also be the cabling. ie Prove where fault is first.

And when checking voltage always have some drain on the battery eg lights or radio etc if using a multimeter because you can have a voltage present without load but no volts under load.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM
flazh02
Advanced

Thanks for the info, I'll try checking the voltage tonight.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:26 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by flazh02
I have had the car for around 6 months without any issues. Driving home last night, I pulled into the garage and hit the button to kill the car and it litterally killed it. All electrical functions stopped working. I used the manual lever to get out and went to the trunk to check the battery. Wiggled the cables and the interior lights came back on. I then started the car and continued to try and wiggle the cables to see if there was a loose connection somewhere and nothing happened. I thought everything was ok...On my way to work this morning the car died on me after getting 2 blocks from my house. Same thing, nothing electrical worked. I went to the trunk again and wiggled the battery cables and this time it took longer but the lights came on and I was able to get the car home. Any ideas what could be causing this? The battery cables are tight on the posts. Just curious if there is anything else to check before towing it to the dealer.
Obviously the cables are long which means there are more opportunities for grounding out, breaks etc. If your wiggling cables but terminals are tight I'd say take it to your nearest Corvette Battery place and have them check resistance in the cables, do visual, check Battery bluh bluh bluh!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:50 PM
erikszr1
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

im gonna keep it simple and replacing the battery has my vote. is it original? sounds like a connection inside the battery may be bad, or the actual battery terminal is bad. is it all nasty w/ corrosion? remove terminals and clean them. free fix if it works. keep it simple s.

Get notified of new replies

To 2007 Z06 Electrical Problem

Quick Reply: [Z06] 2007 Z06 Electrical Problem