Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Getting it done...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:42 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Getting it done...

Yup, you already knew what this thread is about.

I just setup an appointment with a local shop to get the heads swapped out on my car and will be doing a few other things while they're in there. Will be dropping the car off on Friday and she'll be gone for a few weeks as we wait for the turnaround from WCCH.

It won't be cheap but I'll appreciate the bump in power, confidence in the valve train, and fix the shortcomings of the stock oiling system in one fell swoop. Car will be missed for the month or so its out, but it'll be better than ever once I get it back.

Already have a set of PFADT headers, Halltech MF103 intake, ported intake manifold, and ported throttle body on the car.

List of new stuff is below...

If you have any feedback or suggestions on other stuff that I should take care of while I'm in there, please chime in.

Heads -
WCCH Stage 2 Heads
Ti Intake & Ti Exhaust Valves
Bronze Intake & Exhaust Guides
Trunnion Rocker Upgrade

Cam -
Custom Grind Cam (sorry, don't know specs), apparently quite mild, similar to stock drivability/idle and smoggable with stock exhaust manifolds if I needed to go pass the sniffer down the road.
Don't know the complete setup, but a local car with a similar cam and stock exhaust manifolds got mid-500rwhp. Headers should put me slightly above that or around that if I go more conservative.

Oiling System -
LS9 Oil Pump
LPE 9QT Expanded Dry Sump Tank
Aviaid Tank Insert
Aviaid Oil Pan Windage Tray
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 PM
FRChilln
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Sweet keep us updated and can't wait for some fresh dyno numbers
Old 02-19-2013, 06:13 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

I just setup an appointment with a local shop to get the heads swapped out on my car and will be doing a few other things while they're in there. Will be dropping the car off on Friday and she'll be gone for a few weeks as we wait for the turnaround from WCCH.

It won't be cheap but I'll appreciate the bump in power, confidence in the valve train, and fix the shortcomings of the stock oiling system in one fell swoop. Car will be missed for the month or so its out, but it'll be better than ever once I get it back.

Already have a set of PFADT headers, Halltech MF103 intake, ported intake manifold, and ported throttle body on the car.

If you have any feedback or suggestions on other stuff that I should take care of while I'm in there, please chime in.

Heads -
WCCH Stage 2 Heads
Trunnion Rocker Upgrade

Cam -
Custom Grind Cam (sorry, don't know specs), apparently quite mild, similar to stock drivability/idle and smoggable with stock exhaust manifolds if I needed to go pass the sniffer down the road.
Don't know the complete setup, but a local car with a similar cam and stock exhaust manifolds got mid-500rwhp. Headers should put me slightly above that or around that if I go more conservative.

Oiling System -
LS9 Oil Pump
Aviaid Tank Insert

Welcome aboard Jawnathin, and good luck with the build. From what you have listed above, she will be solid as a rock.

Excellent choice on your heads going with WCCH. Be sure to go ahead and go first class with the C.H.E. rocker upgrade, and don't settle for less, and you should be good to go.

Your part in bold above, is the most important thing here.

Now you will have the reliability in that car which up until this point, was lacking, and you will get some additional power to boot.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Stock springs ??

DH
Old 02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heads -
WCCH Stage 2 Heads
Trunnion Rocker Upgrade

Cam -

Oiling System -
LS9 Oil Pump
Aviaid Tank Insert
When I e mailed Richard about two weeks ago, he said he did not get a price on the Ti/Mo exhaust valves from Del West yet?...Is Richard supplying the Ti/Mo exhaust valves, or are you supplying them from a different vender?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Stock springs ??

DH
Will be letting Richard at WCCH figure that out for me. My big requirements are Ti Valves and Bronze Guides. Ill use whatever spring he recommends for this setup.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT5 John
When I e mailed Richard about two weeks ago, he said he did not get a price on the Ti/Mo exhaust valves from Del West yet?...Is Richard supplying the Ti/Mo exhaust valves, or are you supplying them from a different vender?
Don't know yet. That was a big question for me as well. Ill see what Richard has to say and if he can't source them on his own, then ill source a set from Katech.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Welcome aboard Jawnathin, and good luck with the build. From what you have listed above, she will be solid as a rock.

Excellent choice on your heads going with WCCH. Be sure to go ahead and go first class with the C.H.E. rocker upgrade, and don't settle for less, and you should be good to go.

Your part in bold above, is the most important thing here.

Now you will have the reliability in that car which up until this point, was lacking, and you will get some additional power to boot.
Thanks Quick, appreciate all the information you've gathered and shared on the forums and that helped with how I approached this issue.

Good point on the CHE rocker upgrade and ill be sure to mention that when I bring the car to the shop on Friday.

Yup, the bold part is key. I plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future and it doesn't make sense to have that lingering doubt looming over the whole time during my ownership. The car turned from a fun toy into a liability and it got to a point where it just wasn't fun anymore. With confidence in the car restored I look forward to driving her like it should be driven.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Don't know yet. That was a big question for me as well. Ill see what Richard has to say and if he can't source them on his own, then ill source a set from Katech.
The reason I was asking, Richard is doing a set of Brodix BR7 heads for me, and was waiting for a price from Del West on the To/Mo exhaust valves. My Z, I am keeping for a very long time, and I will do what ever it takes to make the heads as bullet proof as possible...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT5 John
The reason I was asking, Richard is doing a set of Brodix BR7 heads for me, and was waiting for a price from Del West on the To/Mo exhaust valves. My Z, I am keeping for a very long time, and I will do what ever it takes to make the heads as bullet proof as possible...
I'm in the same situation, I plan on keeping the car and wanted to change out the valves but keep them as close to the weight or lighter than the Sodium Filled valves as much as I could.

If you find out more, please share, but I'll let Richard be responsible for sourcing them, whether its through Del West, Katech, or another vendor. They just need to be Ti and compatible with the Bronze Guides.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:52 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

I'm in the same situation, I plan on keeping the car and wanted to change out the valves but keep them as close to the weight or lighter than the Sodium Filled valves as much as I could.

If you find out more, please share, but I'll let Richard be responsible for sourcing them, whether its through Del West, Katech, or another vendor. They just need to be Ti and compatible with the Bronze Guides.
As soon as I here from Richard, I will share...
Old 02-19-2013, 07:56 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The Ti/Mo valves your going with...are they the ones from Katech?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tim414
The Ti/Mo valves your going with...are they the ones from Katech?
Possibly. I'm going to leave it to WCCH to source them, whether its from their source (Del West or whoever it maybe) or Katech.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

I wonder what Del West sells them for? Katech's are $2400 for a set...?
Old 02-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

I wonder what Del West sells them for? Katech's are $2400 for a set...?
Yeah, around $2500 for both Intake and Exhaust valves.

If WCCH is unable to source them, I'll need to buy Katech's set I guess.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '12

That's what I'm thinking for my car.

Add: it can sure get spendy in a hurry. I totaled up what I think I wanted and dam, by the time I pay out labor cost, new engine....
Old 02-19-2013, 08:28 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations on your build! If your car is a '10 or earlier, I would recommend upgrading the radiator. Also, I would consider replacing the stock mediocre dampener with an ATI SuperDamper - 10% underdrive.

As for the heads, back last October I told Richard to build me a set of the Brodix heads like he would build for himself. I have the SS exhaust valves and can detect no difference in RPM spin-up or stability into 7100 RPM. Of course then, the existence of a Ti exhaust valve alternative was not known.

Get notified of new replies

To Getting it done...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

That's what I'm thinking for my car.

Add: it can sure get spendy in a hurry. I totaled up what I think I wanted and dam, by the time I pay out labor cost, new engine....
Yeah, I figured that out REALLY quickly. Even trying to piece together parts it came up to be well past what I was originally expecting.

Going with the regular SS valves WCCH package keeps the cost down considerably. Once you start adding in these Ti valves and different springs and retainers, it all starts to add up to quite a bit.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Congratulations on your build! If your car is a '10 or earlier, I would recommend upgrading the radiator. Also, I would consider replacing the stock mediocre dampener with an ATI SuperDamper - 10% underdrive.

As for the heads, back last October I told Richard to build me a set of the Brodix heads like he would build for himself. I have the SS exhaust valves and can detect no difference in RPM spin-up or stability into 7100 RPM. Of course then, the existence of a Ti exhaust valve alternative was not known.
Thanks, I'll look into the upgraded radiator though I'm not quite sure what the SuperDamper is supposed to do. I guess I'll go ahead and look it up.

I know people have had success with the SS valves and that is great news. For me, I would just feel better if I went with something that was comparable or lighter than the stock valves. If someone prefers the SS valves, then great, it seems to be a proven solution and it'll save you quite a bit of money over Ti Valves!

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks Quick, appreciate all the information you've gathered and shared on the forums and that helped with how I approached this issue.

Good point on the CHE rocker upgrade and ill be sure to mention that when I bring the car to the shop on Friday.

Yup, the bold part is key. I plan on keeping the car for the foreseeable future and it doesn't make sense to have that lingering doubt looming over the whole time during my ownership. The car turned from a fun toy into a liability and it got to a point where it just wasn't fun anymore. With confidence in the car restored I look forward to driving her like it should be driven.
You will be amazed at how your confidence in the car's dependability increases once your work is finished.

Words simply just can't describe the feeling of confidence regained in your sports car when you know that it is rock solid.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Getting it done...