Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Valve Train Sound Test: WCCH vs Stock Heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 05:54 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Mark

Rich has stock but different (ZR1 I think) exhaust. But I really don't think his meter is picking that up.

I think if you listen and compare the videos you will have a very good idea of what to expect. The camera sound level is static and was placed exactly the same on both cars.

DH
Mine has the 2011 Z07 (specific to that year for Z06/Z07 and same as ZR1) exhaust. At idle and 2K RPM the baffles are closed and the car is very quiet, so I'm sure the sound meter didn't pick up any exhaust noise from either vehicle.

Last edited by Minkster; 03-12-2013 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Sounds to me the stock is quieter. I have been wondering if doing heads/valves eliminated or at least toned down the tick. Mine is VERY pronounced (tick). It's more pronounced today w/13,xxx miles than it was when it was new.

I am at decision point as whether or not to purchase the GMPP. My 3/36 expires in the weeks ahead. There's no sense in it if I do the heads. But there are also other parts of the car which I just soon not have to buy/replace as well.

Decisions/decisions.

Thanks guys for answering my question.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Looking at the spreadsheet results, stock is quieter? That is interesting.

So is it safe to say that 'ticking' is just the way these things sound (injectors?) and not necessarily indicative of a valve train problem?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:50 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say its a BIG warning sign if your noise is noticeably louder than it once was. (Not for OP, but for others who responded and are stock)
Old 02-18-2013, 09:05 PM
jwmgr8
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 290 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks
Lots of work so us old lazy guys can say
"sound same to me"
Old 02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Looking at the spreadsheet results, stock is quieter? That is interesting.

So is it safe to say that 'ticking' is just the way these things sound (injectors?) and not necessarily indicative of a valve train problem?
I don't think anyone was expecting the SS valves and dual springs to sound quieter than stock. I know I wasn't.

DH
Old 02-19-2013, 01:51 AM
meanjoe
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RFE-57
Weird, to my ear the stock one sounds like it has less of a tick tick than the WCCH version.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:36 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Thanks for posting this thread. I've heard some comments here and there about how the rebuilt heads are louder than stock, and I am planning on having mine done soon so its nice to know there is a little expected difference . I guess if with the hood closed you can;'t really tell a difference it will not really bother me.
I will tell you now, my car as is with the stock heads, makes almost zero valve train noise... it is very very quiet. In fact, my LS7 is quieter than my LS1 (stock) was. That had a notable sewing machine tick to it.. my LS7 does not.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Checked Youtube and over 100 views on each of the videos. Guess most guys don't want to comment on what they think .............. !!

DH
Old 04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

UPDATE

Minkster (Rich) came by today and we ran some sound tests again. I have been noticing how much quieter my motor is at cold start ups since I got my CAT replaced. It had a very loud exhaust leak.

Rich clearly heard that my motor sounded very quiet and the data showed it was as well, even quieter than stock. I postulated that it may have been due to the motor being warm and not hot as tested last time. I figured the thicker oil, increased oil pressure or thermal expansion was accountable.

Sure enough, after I ran it hard around the block for awhile the sound levels were back to where they were at the original testing.

Rich's meter is very accurate and our hot tests were almost identical to last time.

My camera battery died so I only have video of the warm run on my car. Sound clip is at idle and then held at 2K rpm. Oil temp was 155, oil pressure was 50 and coolant was 205.

THANKS RICH !!!

DH
Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the tests fellows.

I don't suppose I could make a request though?

What about an in car driving down the road while staying at 1800rpm in say second or third gear comparison? From say center of the dash or passenger seat?

Mine is so much louder then before I'm getting ready to pull the valve covers off and check things.

I wonder if .010 decking of the heads is the reason mine seems so loud? Dunno...... but thanks for the tests.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Griffee
Thanks for the tests fellows.

I don't suppose I could make a request though?

What about an in car driving down the road while staying at 1800rpm in say second or third gear comparison? From say center of the dash or passenger seat?

Mine is so much louder then before I'm getting ready to pull the valve covers off and check things.

I wonder if .010 decking of the heads is the reason mine seems so loud? Dunno...... but thanks for the tests.
I don't think thats going to happen. If I have talk radio on I can't hear the valve train. And at any decent rpm all you can hear is the exhaust.

DH
Old 04-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I don't think thats going to happen. If I have talk radio on I can't hear the valve train. And at any decent rpm all you can hear is the exhaust.

DH
All you will get is tire noise and exhaust.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listening to the 2K RPM audio, it sounds like the WCCH is much louder - almost like it's at a higher RPM. The stock clip has audible noise, something I would associate with injectors based on the video.

Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Valve Train Sound Test: WCCH vs Stock Heads