Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] c6 z06 prices - 06, 09 or new?

Old 02-03-2013, 12:16 AM
1981turbota
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my black 2009 1LZ Z06 with 26K miles for $45K
Old 02-03-2013, 06:05 AM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow - THANK you Quicksilver, Tim414, Mark200X, and Raging Bull for the detailed responses with solid information. VERY VERY helpful. I suspect I will PM Quicksilver in the coming months with a few quick questions about buying a used Z06. Sorry to OP Ramey that this was a tangent.

Going back to OPs original post... I'm in the same situation in regards to hunting for a used Z06 (albeit planning on buying in October - December this year after the C7 hits the showrooms). I have not seen new 2013's for any less than 69K at Macmulkin, if anyone knows of cheaper price to be had, let me know where. If I got a low miles '09 Z06, I'd expect to pay 45-50K, based on what I've read around here. But right now, my thoughts are to either buy a "used" 2012 Z06 with very low miles for something on the order 60K (i.e. hopefully will get there by end of this year) vs. a 2010 Z06 with low miles and still under the 5 year powertrain warranty so I can purchase the warranty renewal for less.

Don't know if the OP is interested, but the new 2012 Z06s have 0% financing for 72 months, and there is still a new 2012 Cyber Grey 2LZ (no F55) in San Diego and new 2012 Centenniel edition Z06 in Orange County at Win Chevrolet. I spoke to both dealers today, better price on the Centenniel. They are tempting but they are outside of my target price range by at least 10K.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:27 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Adam_W
wow - THANK you Quicksilver, Tim414, Mark200X, and Raging Bull for the detailed responses with solid information. VERY VERY helpful. I suspect I will PM Quicksilver in the coming months with a few quick questions about buying a used Z06. Sorry to OP Ramey that this was a tangent.

Going back to OPs original post... I'm in the same situation in regards to hunting for a used Z06 (albeit planning on buying in October - December this year after the C7 hits the showrooms). I have not seen new 2013's for any less than 69K at Macmulkin, if anyone knows of cheaper price to be had, let me know where. If I got a low miles '09 Z06, I'd expect to pay 45-50K, based on what I've read around here. But right now, my thoughts are to either buy a "used" 2012 Z06 with very low miles for something on the order 60K (i.e. hopefully will get there by end of this year) vs. a 2010 Z06 with low miles and still under the 5 year powertrain warranty so I can purchase the warranty renewal for less.

Don't know if the OP is interested, but the new 2012 Z06s have 0% financing for 72 months, and there is still a new 2012 Cyber Grey 2LZ (no F55) in San Diego and new 2012 Centenniel edition Z06 in Orange County at Win Chevrolet. I spoke to both dealers today, better price on the Centenniel. They are tempting but they are outside of my target price range by at least 10K.
Your going to find it difficult to find a 2010 'still in b2b warranty' when you plan to buy. Most will be out of warranty (bumper 2 bumper) by the time you plan to buy. Unless the '10 was bought 'late' in 2010. There will NOT be many, if any, in that class if you will.

There were only (518) 2010's built. I have one myself, it's b2b will expire in a couple months as well. The extended warranty 'must' be purchased before the b2b expires.

The 2010 MY and the 2012 MY are the lowest build year models. 10=518 & 12=472...in 2011 the build numbers nearly doubled, 11=978 I think.

Then, if you want JSB for example, in the 2010 the number is only 34. So, your best selection is 2006-2008 followed by 2009. There were LESS THAN 2K Z06's built over the three model years (MY) 2010-2012, so it will be more difficult getting a selection of what your looking for in terms of pkg's, colors and mileage, then finding the GMPP warranty Z in your choices in those particular model years....

Last edited by tim414; 02-03-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM
tractorguy
Advanced

I do not know whether my perspective will help or not but I just traded a super nice 09 with 21K miles on a new 13. As far as discounts I missed a 2 LZ from Tim Boone at Boardwalk Chev discounted 18,500 by a half day. The selling price was 68ish. I wanted white but he still has several other colors on his website. He told me at the time he had several 1LZs on order that would sell in the low 60's. I wound up buying a white 2 LZ from Rick Conti. It was discounted around 10k but he gave me my 50k asking price for my 09 and I could drive it home. My 09 was super nice and never abused as I knew the car from the time it was new. However there is just something about having one that you are the only one who has driven it. We all look at things differently. Also I was surprised at the subtle differences in the 13 car and the 09 car but the 13 has the magnetic ride control so perhaps not a fair comparison- much quieter inside and rides much better on highway. I had bought the top end Vehicle1 waranty for the 09 right before I traded and luckily it was fully refundable. Since the money was "already spent" I just took the refund and bought the full boat 84 month GMPP so I am not going to spend 30 seconds worrying about the so called valve train issue. IF you can find one of these deeply discounted cars I highly recommend a new one. Feel free to PM me and Ill give you my phone number if want to discuss.Cheers FB
Old 02-03-2013, 02:16 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I paid $41K for my LMB 2006 2LZ with ~10K miles 3 years ago. The only detectable difference between it an a new Z06 were 3 road chips. Today my 06 has about 15K miles.

I buy all my cars used. When I go looking, I'm grading the look and operation of each compared to a new model. Regardless of year, I'd buy the lowest price car that looks and operates the most like new.

At the time and with few exceptions, compared to a new Z06, any of the cars I saw with much more than 20K miles were beginning to show a bit of wear and tear. I found this unusual. At the same time, my 06 still looks like new and I'm very pleased with my purchase.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:39 PM
Property1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 638HP SILVER BEAST
How many miles on the 08?
15k (I'm assuming you were asking me because your post was right after mine)
Old 02-03-2013, 04:07 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by tractorguy
I do not know whether my perspective will help or not but I just traded a super nice 09 with 21K miles on a new 13. As far as discounts I missed a 2 LZ from Tim Boone at Boardwalk Chev discounted 18,500 by a half day. The selling price was 68ish. I wanted white but he still has several other colors on his website. He told me at the time he had several 1LZs on order that would sell in the low 60's. I wound up buying a white 2 LZ from Rick Conti. It was discounted around 10k but he gave me my 50k asking price for my 09 and I could drive it home. My 09 was super nice and never abused as I knew the car from the time it was new. However there is just something about having one that you are the only one who has driven it. We all look at things differently. Also I was surprised at the subtle differences in the 13 car and the 09 car but the 13 has the magnetic ride control so perhaps not a fair comparison- much quieter inside and rides much better on highway. I had bought the top end Vehicle1 waranty for the 09 right before I traded and luckily it was fully refundable. Since the money was "already spent" I just took the refund and bought the full boat 84 month GMPP so I am not going to spend 30 seconds worrying about the so called valve train issue. IF you can find one of these deeply discounted cars I highly recommend a new one. Feel free to PM me and Ill give you my phone number if want to discuss.Cheers FB
I had a similar experience as well. I had a '06 Z06, replaced it with a '12 Grand Sport, then traded that in to Boardwalk for a '13 Z06. '06 Z06 was a great car, and it's one the cars that I kept longest in my life. '12 Grand Sport (no F55) was quieter and more comfortable than the '06 Z06 as I expected. What I did not expect was the fact that '13 Z06 (with F55) was almost as quiet and just as comfortable as the Grand Sport, while providing a lot more track performance. The wider tires in ZR1 sizes that come with the F55 are harder to drive on our beaten-up (grooved) highways, but I can deal with that.

Going back to '06 Z06 to '13 Z06 comparison:
  • Older model had a noticeably stiffer suspension. Since '13 model is softer while providing even better handling, it's pretty much win/win in my opinion.
  • My biggest problem with the older model was the transmission. I seldom had issues shifting into 1st at the traffic light (which the dealer deemed 'normal'), and I could never rush the shifting, which caused me to miss shifts from close-to-redline every once in a while. Granted, you can still not rush shifting with the new TR6060 transmission, but it is considerably easier to shift with its coned gears helping you out. It is smoother, too.
  • Exhaust tune feels different. I suppose this is the change mentioned by another poster of the dual exhaust system in '11 models. There's more exhaust growl now. Since I never modify my stock exhaust (I hate obnoxiously loud or stinky exhaust), it was a great change for me.
  • F55 for '12/'13 models come with PTM, too. Even though PTM is supposed to be used at the track, I tested the PTM mode 1 (WET) driving at the street when it's raining, and it was actually much better in terms of keeping the car in line than even the mode with all nanies on! I was able to get my tail way out with all the nannies on, which puts the tail back so harshly that I lose my grip on the seat. With PTM level 1, the tail starts getting out a bit, and then the car 'detects' the available grip, resets the engine output the match it, and gently puts the rear back in line without even jerking me out of my seat. It also improves the straight line traction since you almost always have traction (even though the max output is now limited). Needless to say, I loved playing with it
  • F55 also improves the max lateral acceleration. With cup tires, Z06 models hit 1.08 G on the skidpad tested by MotorTrend. A 427 convertible with the same F55 hit 1.04 G on PS2 tires despite the weight penalty. Some of this improvement is due to better stock tires, but some is also attributable to softer, more compliant, and dynamically adapting F55 suspension.
  • The new car has USB and a much better looking seat. Even though it doesn't hold you in place much better, it at least looks much better
  • GM states the head issue was fixed with 100% quality inspection that started in Feb 2011. This means if the LS7s dropped valve issues were indeed caused by this valve guides not manufactured per spec (which is what GM stated is now checked 100% in quality control), then we'll hopefully not have this issue. For the record, I don't think GM is lying as some believe so here in this forum, but I can see that what they fixed might still not be the real cause of this issue; time will tell.

Last edited by X25; 02-04-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Thanks Ozer and Tractorguy for the comparisons between newer and older Z06s.

When comparing pricing on used C6 Z06s of different years e.g. 2009 vs. 2013, I always assumed that they were essentially identical other than age/mileage/wear/use/abuse.

What you've said makes me willing to pay even more for one of the new ones.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

[QUOTE=Adam_W;1583031473]Thanks Ozer and Tractorguy for the comparisons between newer and older Z06s.

When comparing pricing on used C6 Z06s of different years e.g. 2009 vs. 2013, I always assumed that they were essentially identical other than age/mileage/wear/use/abuse.

What you've said makes me willing to pay even more for one of the new ones.[/QUOTE
Ozer went into much greater detail than I on comparing the 13 to the older cars. Based on my experiences with the 13 I agree totally with every point he made. All the way to Columbus from AR in the 09 I was thinking why am I trading this car! Conti told me call me when you get home- you won't believe the difference in the cars most you wouldn't realize if you had been driving the older car. I passed it off as salesman speak. Boy was he ever right. The crowning point was when my wife asked to drive on way home. She never liked my 09 and refused to drive it even once. The 09 was "my toy" and she didn't want anything to do with it. All of a sudden the 13 is "her" car and bossing me around it like crazy.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM
tractorguy
Advanced

[QUOTE=tractorguy;1583031685]
Thanks Ozer and Tractorguy for the comparisons between newer and older Z06s.

What you've said makes me willing to pay even more for one of the new ones.[/QUOTE
Ozer went into much greater detail than I on comparing the 13 to the older cars. Based on my experiences with the 13 I agree totally with every point he made. All the way to Columbus from AR in the 09 I was thinking why am I trading this car! Conti told me call me when you get home- you won't believe the difference in the cars most you wouldn't realize if you had been driving the older car. I passed it off as salesman speak. Boy was he ever right. The crowning point was when my wife asked to drive on way home. She never liked my 09 and refused to drive it even once. The 09 was "my toy" and she didn't want anything to do with it. All of a sudden the 13 is "her" car and bossing me around it like crazy.
Oh yea I highly recommend the F55. Now that I have I wouldn't consider one without it
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Given that the 2013 Z06 (even 1LZ) is a bit out of my price range, do you know if there is a significant difference between 2012 vs. 2013 Z06?

For example, let's say - at the end of this year - I find a low mileage 2012 1LZ for 56K (not these days, I know), vs. a low mileage 2013 1LZ for, say, 62K.... should I seriously consider 2013 > 2012 ?

Not sure if anyone here has experience comparing '12 vs. '13 stock Zs.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Given that the 2013 Z06 (even 1LZ) is a bit out of my price range, do you know if there is a significant difference between 2012 vs. 2013 Z06?

For example, let's say - at the end of this year - I find a low mileage 2012 1LZ for 56K (not these days, I know), vs. a low mileage 2013 1LZ for, say, 62K.... should I seriously consider 2013 > 2012 ?

Not sure if anyone here has experience comparing '12 vs. '13 stock Zs.
As far as I know, there's not much of a difference, if at all. I switched from a '12 Grand Sport to a '13 Z06, and the only thing I saw different was that the HVAC controls reset to AUTO when you restart the car on '13. I am not sure, but I don't think this was the case with my '12.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

HVAC controls should be left on whatever setting it was on before for that specific driver (using either the numbered fobs or memory seating).

It would be really annoying to change it from AUTO every time.

There really are no significant differences between any of the years and practically none between a 2012 to a 2013.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM
X25
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
HVAC controls should be left on whatever setting it was on before for that specific driver (using either the numbered fobs or memory seating).

It would be really annoying to change it from AUTO every time.

There really are no significant differences between any of the years and practically none between a 2012 to a 2013.
If I'm not mistaken, it keeps my temp controls, etc., but switchces back to AUTO mode. I will check it out when I get off work to make sure I'm not stating something wrong
Old 02-04-2013, 08:13 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

thanks for a great discussion. answered my own question as well, buying an 08 for $39k this weekend. Very clean, tight, nice car, but with a few miles.

I'm happy.

all your input really made a difference.

some good folks out there, but best price I found on a '13 was $63k. Still pretty good!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ramey
thanks for a great discussion. answered my own question as well, buying an 08 for $39k this weekend. Very clean, tight, nice car, but with a few miles.

I'm happy.

all your input really made a difference.

some good folks out there, but best price I found on a '13 was $63k. Still pretty good!
Very nice. Congrats!

Since you mentioned it, and since it plays a big role in resale, how many miles?
Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ozer
If I'm not mistaken, it keeps my temp controls, etc., but switchces back to AUTO mode. I will check it out when I get off work to make sure I'm not stating something wrong
Sure, looking forward to seeing what you come back with.

I wasn't trying to correct you, but just sharing my experience as it has been specific to the memory seating/fob feature in my car.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 z06 prices - 06, 09 or new?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Very nice. Congrats!

Since you mentioned it, and since it plays a big role in resale, how many miles?
Yep. Actually talking to the corvettes of houston guys the market really turns more on miles than i would have guessed.

Basically a 10000 mile 07 they priced 15000 k more than 70000 mile car. And frankly 6k more than an 08 that was just as clean.

I personally think mileage is less of an issue. A clean tight well maintained medium mile car is a better value to me, but i am no expert.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:49 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

NO personal experience, but I have heard that the 06 Z06 was more "raw". The lightest weight, less sound deadening, more aggressive factory tune. I would enjoy hearing from you guys on that subject. ANY truth burried up in there anywhere?
Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
NO personal experience, but I have heard that the 06 Z06 was more "raw". The lightest weight, less sound deadening, more aggressive factory tune. I would enjoy hearing from you guys on that subject. ANY truth burried up in there anywhere?
The 2006's were in fact the lightest Z06 made - and that has been primarily attributed to the amounts of insulation used at the factory. The "tune" might vary slightly (I have never seen confirmation) - but they all make 505HP from the factory, within 1% either way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] c6 z06 prices - 06, 09 or new?