Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Sébast19X
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 110 Posts

suscribed
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
EX1
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would like to see some vendors like Ragin' Racin', Vette-Air, and some of the other guys who sell popular aftermarket camshafts to submit one of their products for testing.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:46 PM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
I would like to see some vendors like Ragin' Racin', Vette-Air, and some of the other guys who sell popular aftermarket camshafts to submit one of their products for testing.
Perhaps if someone had a used cam laying around, they could send it in for testing (and just list it by specification to avoid offending anyone). Afterall, the cam itself wouldn't be at fault for any findings - it would just be a matter of saying "what would be most stable" given the lift, lobe profile, etc.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
2k Cobra
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Jason. Appreciate your efforts!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:17 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by EX1
Might as well add Livernos and Vengance Racing to the list too..
Old 01-10-2013, 04:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Hahahaahahah.............. Great timing. I'm picking up my heads from WCCH tomorow !!!!

DH
Old 01-10-2013, 04:52 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Interested in #6. I am running Patriot dual springs and heavier exhaust valves (Ferrea Super Alloy for the Peanut Gallery). Any chance of you getting a hold of a Comp cam with the refined lobe design?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Seriously cool, Jason. This kind of thing is precisely why the community turns to Katech time and again. Big Time Kudos.

I'm interested in scenario #3 and I agree with the "current WCCH default equipment" test given how many folks have gone with them for changes/fixes. In my case that is stock cam, Patriot Gold duals, and SS exh valves from Racing Engine Valves.

So far no issues have arisen since the change but it would be nice to know the details.

Z//
Mine are getting done right now with what WCCH currently recommended for my stock cam and no porting:

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-10-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Mine are getting done right now with what WCCH currently recommended for my stock cam and no porting:

1. BT Platinum dual spring kit. For .660" Lift.
2. REV LS7 Exhaust Valve 1.615" 8mm 5.230" OAL w/.290 tip.

DH
The fact that Katech is willing to do meaningful research, the results of which promise to be of some practical use, is part of why I will continue to buy their products.

It was time for real research as opposed to chasing wild geese

I am elated to see Katech planning on taking a look at these popular setups to tell us what should work and what definitely won't work.

As Rock mentioned, the potential in helping people decide on rev limits, is also of benefit.

This research has tremendous potential, which can be put into use by a anyone who has followed these discussions as well as those who are already running stainless valves in helping them to determine if spring or valve changes might be needed for added safety margin.

Kudos to Katech for their stepping up with this.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-10-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:22 PM
pomppe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
mistermog
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree silver, it speaks volumes that they are going to do this PURELY for our benefit to know what will or wont be safe to run in our cars is beyond gracious and shows while some things lie outside their business models they still care about their customers, and really people that arent even customers (yet).

definitely owe jason a beer or a frosty or some cupcakes or something, whoever sees him next!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Minkster
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by mistermog
Jason, I have to say... thank you. Couldnt have been better timed!

I don't know how long this plan has been in the works but great, im actually excited here, its like christmas again.

I see you testing your Ti valves with the torquer, any value added to testing them on the stock cam, or would it be too much like the stock valves to be worth the effort?
I too would like to see this test just for verification that your Ti exh valves are a good replacement for the hollow stem stockers. I also assume you will summarize the results of each combination compared to the stock results (?). Are you going to be able to extrapolate any durability findings from your test?

Thanks for doing this as it should shed some light on all the speculation that has been going on.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:45 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

As with every other forum member, we all want to thank you for stepping up to do this, it definitely means a lot to me.

After studying this subject to exhaustion (to the point I am getting sick of it) the biggest questions I have come across in valvetrain stability besides the simple issue of weight is a follows;

Single vs Dual and how seat pressure, open pressure and harmonics effects the valvetrain with Ti and solid stem exhaust valves.

Stock rockers vs. popular aftermarket rollers such as YT, T&D, and Crower. We would like to see how much "over the tip weight" effects the valvetrain with the torquer cam (or similar).

For myself, I would like to see how different lobes such as comps LXL lobes that are designed for the 1.8 rocker compare to the torquer lobes.

Again thank you for the effort and I look forward to the results!

Last edited by vertC6; 01-10-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:19 PM
50 4Ever
Wil Cooksey #256
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

This is awesome Jason. Kudos to you and the Katech team..

Old 01-10-2013, 07:30 PM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 50 4Ever
This is awesome Jason. Kudos to you and the Katech team..

Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM
clogan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Hahahaahahah.............. Great timing. I'm picking up my heads from WCCH tomorow !!!!

DH
LOL...I'm getting mine on Monday.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:44 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Get notified of new replies

To Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum

Old 01-10-2013, 07:47 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rock36
As far as the duals valvesprings go, and aside from what I mentioned earlier, I would nominate either: Brian Tooley Racing Platinum Duals

I would like to know where Katech would recommend placing red lines based on results. For example, if a valve loses control at 7200 rpm, perhaps you would suggest a safety of 500 rpm and a new redline of 6700 rpm. Just an example of course. That way folks who still want to use SS valves can go in and limit redline and fuel cutoff via tunes if they so chose.
Maybe the redlines can be moved up instead of down if the valves are being controlled well by the springs

DH
Old 01-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by clogan
LOL...I'm getting mine on Monday.
Well lets hope that the Katech research validates all the performance shops and cars that are running SS valves and dual springs. I know many of these engines are running above stock RPM so I don't believe that we will need to worry about lowering the RPM at all.

DH
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Bad_AX
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 77 Posts

First, a big thank you to the folks at Katech. This is very refreshing for a change.

I too am interested in seeing a test to compare a high quality roller tip rocker to the stock rockers. I am specifically interested in the Crower SS with needle bearing tip. In theory, roller tips should reduce friction and deflection of the valve stem, and possibly have greater inertia and earlier valve float for a given spring pressure, but I really want to know what happens in actual practice. My goal is the most reliable, light weight valve train that will maintain at least 7000 rpm redline. I also want to use beehive springs and Ti/Mo valves, but maybe not after all this is done!

I expect you will be doing a set of heads for me at the end of this.

Subscribed--

Quick Reply: [Z06] Katech LS7 Valvetrain Dynamics testing approved - seeking input from Corvette Forum