Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Vette Magazine 2012 cover

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Vette Magazine 2012 cover

I am trying to get more tolerant, but the cover prompted me to write the following. The cover features a Z06 converted to automatic trans by a person with 2 legs and who can walk

This probably won't get published, but I was so appalled at the selection for the cover that I can't help myself. I figured for sure the owner was profoundly disabled, just not mentally. I try to get my serious sports car friends to see past the horrendous stereotypical image of the middle-aged poseur gold-chain wearing Vette owner and exhibit A is the purist Z06 that is spartan, lightweight and most of all a drivers' car limited to a manual transmission. The Z owner is distinct from the 80+% auto trans Vette owners in that driving is a skill to master and practice and cherish.

And then, on the COVER the editorial staff decides to put a car that is not only grotesquely emasculated with a slush box, it looks like a carbon fiber and leather brothel inside. *But wait, there is less! *It has Lingenfelter coil covers but appears to have never entered a Lingenfelter shop or even have any Lingenfelter parts under that plastic.

Now to each their own, but to put this travesty on the cover tells me that the rank and file Vette owner really is not my people. *For shame!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Calm yourself. The car belongs to a forum member
Old 05-05-2012, 12:18 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,441 Likes on 2,270 Posts

There's a guy in my club with a Z converted to an auto. It's also supercharged. The car is a beast.

Would be a stop light to stop light monster, and with his excellent cooling he added, probably a hoot on the track as well.

I read the story you cited. I found it interesting. I figure the guy works to earn his own money, he can spend it how he pleases. He certainly seems to be a vette fan.

Oh, and that CF member's car was my inspiration to put HRE P40 wheels on my ZR.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by whatcop?
Calm yourself. The car belongs to a forum member
I think you are off base here...everyone is allowed their own taste and to make their cars as common or unique as they prefer. Magazines, they write whatever they want, if you don't like the content, or the cover for that matter, cancel your subscription. My opinion is that your criticism is missplaced on this one.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Live and let live.To each his own.I am sure its very fast.Race him you ll end up converting yours too.Lol
Old 05-05-2012, 07:40 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I wanted to see if I was a lone voice and seems so. I agree, to each their own, but IMO, one of the most special things about the 2 greatest current American sports car Icons (Vette Zs and Viper) is the manual transmission that is a superior performer on a road course, my favorite environment for a sports car. I might be proven wrong, but I've never driven an auto trans car on track that worked nearly as well as a manual. And yes, I know the 458, MP4-12C and others are no longer manuals, but those transmissions are dual clutch, not torque converter and the difference is huge.

Just my heartfelt opinion and bears out that I really am not a regular Vette guy.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
0spoiled996
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kverges
I am trying to get more tolerant, but the cover prompted me to write the following. The cover features a Z06 converted to automatic trans by a person with 2 legs and who can walk

This probably won't get published, but I was so appalled at the selection for the cover that I can't help myself. I figured for sure the owner was profoundly disabled, just not mentally. I try to get my serious sports car friends to see past the horrendous stereotypical image of the middle-aged poseur gold-chain wearing Vette owner and exhibit A is the purist Z06 that is spartan, lightweight and most of all a drivers' car limited to a manual transmission. The Z owner is distinct from the 80+% auto trans Vette owners in that driving is a skill to master and practice and cherish.

And then, on the COVER the editorial staff decides to put a car that is not only grotesquely emasculated with a slush box, it looks like a carbon fiber and leather brothel inside. *But wait, there is less! *It has Lingenfelter coil covers but appears to have never entered a Lingenfelter shop or even have any Lingenfelter parts under that plastic.

Now to each their own, but to put this travesty on the cover tells me that the rank and file Vette owner really is not my people. *For shame!
Wow...I am glad you found my vette to be of such interest to write this.

There is a reason that RPM Transmissions is in business and a corvette forum sponsor as there are numerous Z06 and ZR1 transmission conversions done. Dale Ernhardt Jr. was having his Black Z06 converted to a 6L80 and picked up by the Kendrick Motorsports Truck, when mine was being delivered to me up at their shop....guess he is a mentally handicapped person too...This car happens to be my DD and I log 2-3k miles per month driving to clients all around the state. I have also done much work with LPE on my car which is why I have the power I do and has had additional work done down in Tampa.

As far as the carbon fiber and leather "brothel"....it all came from Katech/APSIS/Halltech, with the leather and seats from Caravaggio...all sponsors on here and people I trust to make some of the best parts around.

Maybe Vette magazine wrote the article as the car stood out from a everyday vette. The car has $84k in parts not including paint/labor and is lighter, faster, handles better, stops quicker, never a missed shift, while having an upgraded stereo and interior....if that doesn't make a Z06 better then to each their own. I don't expect my corvette to appeal to everyone....We are all unique in life and I don't see a problem making your car unique as well.

Also only 33, so the gold chain wearing era is before my time

Old 05-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 792 Likes on 536 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a bad left knee, and sometimes I think I won't be able to use it to work the clutch in a few years. When I read the article about your car in the magazine it gave me hope that even if my knee goes bad, I can still drive my favorite high HP Corvette.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 AM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Much ado about nothing, significant.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
71Pantera
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 41 w/o gold chain.

Maybe some of th old guys can pass them down??

Maybe Jr needs an auto in his race car he might win one?
Old 05-05-2012, 09:48 AM
Random84
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoiled996
Wow...I am glad you found my vette to be of such interest to write this.

There is a reason that RPM Transmissions is in business and a corvette forum sponsor as there are numerous Z06 and ZR1 transmission conversions done. Dale Ernhardt Jr. was having his Black Z06 converted to a 6L80 and picked up by the Kendrick Motorsports Truck, when mine was being delivered to me up at their shop....guess he is a mentally handicapped person too...This car happens to be my DD and I log 2-3k miles per month driving to clients all around the state. I have also done much work with LPE on my car which is why I have the power I do and has had additional work done down in Tampa.

As far as the carbon fiber and leather "brothel"....it all came from Katech/APSIS/Halltech, with the leather and seats from Caravaggio...all sponsors on here and people I trust to make some of the best parts around.

Maybe Vette magazine wrote the article as the car stood out from a everyday vette. The car has $84k in parts not including paint/labor and is lighter, faster, handles better, stops quicker, never a missed shift, while having an upgraded stereo and interior....if that doesn't make a Z06 better then to each their own. I don't expect my corvette to appeal to everyone....We are all unique in life and I don't see a problem making your car unique as well.

OP is entitled to his opinion, just as you are yours. Only difference? You put your money ($84K + the car) where your mouth is.

I think I remember your threads from a while ago and autos might *seem* repulsive to some purists, at the end of the day a modern fast-shifting auto is superior to any human if setup properly IMHO. Not to mention more consistent, and more convenient as a daily driver as you stated.

I think road courses are the only area where a manual would still be preferred - coincidentally the same purpose our wonderful Z06 was targeted for. With that said, where is the thread where you post pics?

I don't always drive a manual sportscar, but when I do - I prefer Z Oh Six. Stay hungry, my friends.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Red89gt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I wish zo6 had auto option, I'd have one. I have hip displaysia and just can't deal with clutch anymore. I have a6 grand sport as a result. Only positive is yesterday I scheduled surgery for June, after 20 years I found doc that believes he can get me relief. Now the problem is how do I convince the wife as of 2 hours from now I will be married to buy a lift and a zo6 to start stacking cars in the garage so I can bang gears at the track! Cars rule but to each their own!
My buddy has built some customers twin turbo monster vettes and done the major pricey auto conversions because it will take 1k hp on drag radials consistantly at the track.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do any exotics like Ferrari, Lambos, Veyron, etc, even offer a manual box? Don't think so (just going on memory, though, which works worse than a manual tranny, lots of missed shifts). The manual transmission is in ICU on life-support and the priest is reading Last Rites. May it RIP.

If you believe in the trickle down theory, then one day (hopefully soon) manual boxes will go the way of the hand crank on Model Ts. If my reading of auto mags the last several years is correct, then a manual tranny will lose a race every time when put up against a good paddle shift like found in a Ferrari, whether it's a drag race or on a road course. At least at this time in history, these trannies are not cheap, but that will change over time.

And with the cheaper transmissions found in mid-range sedans, some of these new cars are now getting better EPA rated MPG with the new automatics than with a manual. Eight speeds is becoming common and I think I read where ZF is working on a 9-speed.

Last edited by Norm_427; 05-05-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep working on that - we all could use some additional tolerance and acceptance. A closed mind is a small place to live
Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Norm_427
Do any exotics like Ferrari, Lambos, Veyron, etc, even offer a manual box? Don't think so (just going on memory, though, which works worse than a manual tranny, lots of missed shifts). The manual transmission is in ICU on life-support and the priest is reading Last Rites. May it RIP.

If you believe in the trickle down theory, then one day (hopefully soon) manual boxes will go the way of the hand crank on Model Ts. If my reading of auto mags the last several years is correct, then a manual tranny will lose a race every time when put up against a good paddle shift like found in a Ferrari, whether it's a drag race or on a road course. At least at this time in history, these trannies are not cheap, but that will change over time.

And with the cheaper transmissions found in mid-range sedans, some of these new cars are now getting better EPA rated MPG with the new automatics than with a manual. Eight speeds is becoming common and I think I read where ZF is working on a 9-speed.

with above. Corvette racing already proved the tech that will be in the next generation Corvette. And it does NOT look like M6 will see the future, either. The auto tranny shifts faster that a person can. At least that what I've read (I don't have auto).....

But, it IS the future....OP...read up what Corvette Racing did last year. Old news today.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
GIO-305
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have 1k that Spoiled will smoke your gear banger in a hwy roll.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:43 PM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 71Pantera

I am 41 w/o gold chain.

Maybe some of th old guys can pass them down??
Shoot...I'm 51 and I still don't wear any gold chains !

Get notified of new replies

To Vette Magazine 2012 cover

Old 05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Let's see the cover!

Way to go. GT2 hood onboard?

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

If it wasn't 10k I would swap to an auto in a heart beat. Nothing beats a nice stalled auto in straight line fun.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:39 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Keep working on that - we all could use some additional tolerance and acceptance. A closed mind is a small place to live
That's what gave us OWS

Quick Reply: [Z06] Vette Magazine 2012 cover