Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

Talk a out being thrown under the bus, I see this as throwing Richard under it.
The bus Richard is driving Quick. He did the work. I posted pictures. It wouldn't be a bus if the work was A1. My problem is....yours has a little "deburring"...someone else didn't have any "deburring"....well mine have way more then just a "few scuffs" as you put it. Did he sub them out? Who knows?We all know he's swamped. So did he cut corners?

It was ground on enough I had to call Undy and ask if he butched these things up for header clearence or for some other reason. He had no idea what I was talking about, and obviously needed to defend himself from someone elses' workmanship.

Undy isn't "egging" anyone on...he is concerned about the heads he sold me and feels somewhat responsible. Above and beyond the sale if you ask me.

Either way...the minor and imperfect.. the no big deal.....the heads you can just "cover up" and maybe nobody will see" are the ones WCCH sent me. If you feel that's top notch, and best in the business work we have differing opinions.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:43 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you explained in detail to them the quality of the deburring job? Have you asked for them to help you solve the issue? (Different set of heads? Discount ect...)
Old 11-30-2012, 03:09 PM
08VRZ06
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

OP

I would suggest you just pick up the phone and call WCCH and ask to talk to Richard. If he is as busy as folks say he is he may only be responding to emails once a week or longer........ We all love email and texting but that takes a lot of time....

CALL them!!!

By the way I was very happy with the stage 2 head work he did for me back around the first part of the year!!! Mine did not look like that and if they did I would have CALLED him right then......

Mark
Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Random84
Safety Car

In OP's defense, he said he already emailed photos to WCCH and received a response.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:18 PM
lt1z
Melting Slicks

Received 170 Likes on 143 Posts

Current status: The sky is still falling!
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Since everyone has an opinion and seems to be sharing, I'll share mine.

Whether it affects the performance or not, it looks like crap. Even if it was hidden after re-installation, it would still bother me. If it was going to be deburred, the work might as well look as professional as the rest of the job. I haven't researched the price of re-doing heads as I'm not to concerned about mine as I have a warranty, but if I had spent several $k for work, I want everything to look as pristine as possible as it did when it left.

Just my .02 which is probably worth less.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
The bus Richard is driving Quick. He did the work. I posted pictures. It wouldn't be a bus if the work was A1. My problem is....yours has a little "deburring"...someone else didn't have any "deburring"....well mine have way more then just a "few scuffs" as you put it. Did he sub them out? Who knows?We all know he's swamped. So did he cut corners?

It was ground on enough I had to call Undy and ask if he butched these things up for header clearence or for some other reason. He had no idea what I was talking about, and obviously needed to defend himself from someone elses' workmanship.

Undy isn't "egging" anyone on...he is concerned about the heads he sold me and feels somewhat responsible. Above and beyond the sale if you ask me.

Either way...the minor and imperfect.. the no big deal.....the heads you can just "cover up" and maybe nobody will see" are the ones WCCH sent me. If you feel that's top notch, and best in the business work we have differing opinions.
Originally Posted by 08VRZ06
OP

I would suggest you just pick up the phone and call WCCH and ask to talk to Richard. If he is as busy as folks say he is he may only be responding to emails once a week or longer........ We all love email and texting but that takes a lot of time....

CALL them!!!

By the way I was very happy with the stage 2 head work he did for me back around the first part of the year!!! Mine did not look like that and if they did I would have CALLED him right then......

Mark
I would have talked to him over the phone and said my piece. What's wrong with CALLING him, expressing your dismay, and asking what he is willing to do to make this well with you.?

You know Griffee, to be honest, I really got kind of blindsided by this.

I got a call, out of the blue. A lot of forum members have my number, I give it out freely, and I keep track of the names.

But when I got word of what had happened, I felt terrible because I had personally recommended WCCH to you.

Even going so far as to give you the names of the staff people.

When I hear about all of this, for lack of a better term, "carnage", and 6 yr olds who got ahold of the grinder talk, and how it's about to hit the board, and when it does, WCCH is going to suffer for it, I'm thinking that these heads must be butchered beyond belief.

I'm wondering what happened. And I'm feeling bad because I vouched for them.

Then I finally hear from you. I see the pics and see the scuff marks on the heads, and recommend that you contact them and ask for an adjustment on the price in light of the cosmetics.

I see this thread, and the pics again and I think, "so he decided to go public with this."

I look at the thread and it's titled "What to Expect", and I'm knowing right then that it is going to elicit a range of responses.

Two things though.

1. How come "what to expect" doesn't show us what to expect from the business side of the heads yet? We have yet to see those pics. In all fairness, "what to expect" should include those.

2. Prior to your contacting me and sending me the pics, and when I was first contacted earlier in the day that I first heard about this, and given the impression that this had been a screwup of epic proportions, and informed that it was going to put a serious dent in WCCH's business when it went up, I had a lot of time to think about that conversation.

I'm wondering just what could have happened? I'm just knowing that I'm about to see a set of hand ported heads that went bad, with Dremel marks all over the pedestals, the ports, etc.

I'm expecting a real hack job.

But I get the pics, and I go; "OK, there is more esthetic scuffing than I'd like to see, but give them a call and tell them that you aren't happy and ask for some dough off the job. Next thing I know, now the thread goes up. And people are talking about WCCH heads and "ticking time bombs, and glad for having gone aftermarket". Strange when WCCH does Katech heads too.

To a large degree, the thread does not seem to have had the anticipated effect, as there are many in here wondering what the big to do is.

I would never trivialize what has happened here to you here Griffee.

But I do believe that it is not that big of a deal. And if they were my heads and I felt that it was that big of a deal, then I would call them.

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Since everyone has an opinion and seems to be sharing, I'll share mine.

Whether it affects the performance or not, it looks like crap. Even if it was hidden after re-installation, it would still bother me. If it was going to be deburred, the work might as well look as professional as the rest of the job. I haven't researched the price of re-doing heads as I'm not to concerned about mine as I have a warranty, but if I had spent several $k for work, I want everything to look as pristine as possible as it did when it left.

Just my .02 which is probably worth less.
I don't know where you are getting several $k for work

He can tell you for sure, but depending upon what all he had done, because we haven't really seen the business end of the heads or gotten a full description of all that was done, I don't even know that he spent even $1K for that work.

The full Stage 2 for LS7 heads runs $1518.00, plus the springs.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-03-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 PM
TurdsOfMayhem
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know where you are getting several $k for work

He can tell you for sure, but depending upon what all he had done, because we haven't really seen the business end of the heads or gotten a full description of all that was done, I don't even know that he spent even $1K for that work.

The full Stage 2 for LS7 heads runs $1518.00, plus the springs.
Ok close enough to 2k for me. But I guess the other part of my opinion isn't as important to discuss which is what really seems to matter.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Griffee
Pro

Here ya go Quick:

I don't see how it changes anything. The "deburring" process has been done.

I called WCCH..... I left a message......Richard never returned my call..... He got an e-mail with the same pictures I posted...His response to my e-mail was :

This is normal deburring and nothing to worry about. We deburr all the heads we work on because they're so sharp from the manufacturer. We don't want our customers bleeding just trying to remove the heads from the box!
Enjoy!

So let me interpret that....that's how we do things...and ENJOY

Last edited by Griffee; 11-30-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by TurdsOfMayhem
Ok close enough to 2k for me. But I guess the other part of my opinion isn't as important to discuss which is what really seems to matter.
Do you understand where these marks are?

If your car had come from the factory with similar marks, you'd never know it.

99% of it can't be seen from under the hood at all, and even if the car was on a lift it would be damn near impossible to see with the starter, exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters in the way.

But like I said earlier, call Richard, tell him you are not pleased and ask him what he is willing to do

Here ya go Quick:

I don't see how it changes anything. The "deburring" process has been done.

I called WCCH..... I left a message......Richard never returned my call..... He got an e-mail with the same pictures I posted...His response to my e-mail was :

This is normal deburring and nothing to worry about. We deburr all the heads we work on because they're so sharp from the manufacturer. We don't want our customers bleeding just trying to remove the heads from the box!
Enjoy!

So let me interpret that....that's how we do things...and ENJOY
You know, right now I'm speechless.

These heads, according to Undy, had something like 88k miles on them.

Stock intake valves Griffee?

88 grand on them and they have re worked them to this point.

The new exhaust valves flawless.

I'm tempted to ask you to show the port work, but what's the point?

Work like this on 88k mile heads and you're worried about scuff marks???

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-03-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

If you don't like them, sell them. I'm sure there would be no problem unloading them. Two months ago I'd be begging you to sell them.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Griffee
Pro

You know, right now in speechless.

These heads, according to Undy, had something like 88k miles on them.

Stock intake valves Griffee?

88 grand on them and they have re worked them to this point.

The new exhaust valves flawless.

I'm tempted to ask you to show the port work, but what's the point?

Work like this on 88k mile heads and you're worried about scuff marks???
Scuff marks? If you received a set of Brodix heads and pulled them out of the box...and saw those first pictures....you would be ecstatic? Because they seated the exhaust valves to a tee? Never mind the fact that someone got busy with the die grinder randomly to the outside of the heads. Not scuffed. Buzzed with a die grinder.

MAN THOSE ARE SWEET!....would really be your first thought?

Do you think Katech gets there heads, and they look like mine? Or did mine get a extra special attention?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbosixx
If you don't like them, sell them. I'm sure there would be no problem unloading them. Two months ago I'd be begging you to sell them.
If I'm buying them, I try to steal them, knowing how much the owner believes them to be devalued due to the scuff marks.

I try and lowball him. Why not when he doesn't think they're worth putting on his own car and has practically stated as much?

If I'm buying them, then I'm looking for the deal of the year on them.

"They're not fit to go on my car but give me top dollar for them?"

How's that gonna work?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-30-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

IF he sells them, they become second hand...Would WCCH still honor their warranty on them since they're second hand now?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Griffee
Pro

If I'm buying them, I try to steal them, knowing how much the owner believes them to be devalued due to the scuff marks.

I try and lowball him. Why not when he doesn't think they're worth putting on his own car and has practically stated as much?

If I'm buying them, then I'm looking for the deal of the year on them.
I'm glad we agree then...junk work....
Old 11-30-2012, 06:33 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm glad we agree then...junk work....
I don't understand. Let me know what you want for them and what was done to them and a price. Ill gladly take them off your hands.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I don't understand. Let me know what you want for them and what was done to them and a price. Ill gladly take them off your hands.
Bingo!

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

This was the response I got from WCCH:

That was the e-mail that was sent after I sent the requested pictures to them. I never did get a phone call back, and was way to swamped at work to try and make a return phone call.

I don't know Quick as per the head work. I guess I would have to take them to someone else and get their opinion.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do...I think I would just sell them, but seriously would anyone want to buy those? And if no one else would be willing to buy them...why exactly am I ?

I've never in all my years of racing saw anyone debur a spark plug hole. For what? So I don't get hurt pulling them out of the box? what kind of crummy excuse is that?

You have got to be kidding us!!!! Will they look good when installed on the engine, YES. Do they need to look GOOD, NO, NO, NO.

Bill
Old 11-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Griffee
Pro

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
There was someone in front of you via pm. And are you willing to pay full price for such fine quality workmanship or...should they be worth how much less? Because according to Quick this is just a couple of scuffs and quality at it's best.

I am now in the process of trying to sell the car. If the car sells great...I can be done with the whole "what came first the hole in the side of my block or the valve broke" issue. Which is the position GM unfortunately put us all.

If it doesn't sell then a decision will be made....35,500 miles...no problems and keep it that way(sell them)...or send these to someone else to get checked and use them. I have no idea...other then I really hope the car sells so I can just wash my hands of this entire mess. It's just really unfortunate if you ask me, because I used to enjoy the car.

BTW Quick....no spring pressure...nothing....mine didn't get filled out....more and more leading me to the possibility of them being subbed out...then of course maybe he was just to busy to bother? Checking them that is...or writing them down. Who knows?

Last edited by Griffee; 11-30-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

There was someone in front of you via pm. And are you willing to pay full price for such fine quality workmanship or...should they be worth how much less? Because according to Quick this is just a couple of scuffs and quality at it's best.

I am now in the process of trying to sell the car. If the car sells great...I can be done with the whole "what came first the hole in the side of my block or the valve broke" issue. Which is the position GM unfortunately put us all.

If it doesn't sell then a decision will be made....35,500 miles...no problems and keep it that way(sell them)...or send these to someone else to get checked and use them. I have no idea...other then I really hope the car sells so I can just wash my hands of this entire mess. It's just really unfortunate if you ask me, because I used to enjoy the car.
Why pay full price for something that the owner says is junk?

So it begs the question; if you think they're junk not worthy of going on your car, then what qualms do you have selling this junk to a fellow forum member for top dollar?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-30-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.