Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Griffee
You interested in buying them? And no...never cut...pass after pass after pass...plenty of burns but never a cut from the "razor knife" of a spark plug hole. More then a thousand times I've run them in and out.

I'll take some tomorrow Quick. No not really happy with them at all no matter where the six year old grinding is facing...down..up...sideways...covering it up doesn't make it go away. Just not pleased at all.

Well, good luck to you Griffee. The comments in this thread are by it's nature, going to get you different opinions when people read it and look at the pics, but those opinions in the end, really won't matter.

In the end, you are the one who has to be satisfied.

Originally Posted by Undy
I was the one that sold the heads to Griffee and they definately were not hacked up like that when I shipped them the WCCH. Although I agree that the 6 year old's die grinder romp had no ill affect on their operation and probably after they're bolted down no esthetic impact either.

What bother's me when I see shoddy workmanship it's usually not limited to what's visible. Crappy work usually migates into other areas. It tends to be a mind-set.

Sorry for it ending up like this Griffee... Niether of us ever invisioned something like this.

I'm sure glad I went with aftermarket heads. It makes me wonder how many ticking time bombs WCCH is leaving out there
OK, I believe you went with PRC heads, right?

I don't think that you are going to find very many people who look at these deburred areas and wonder about the stability of WCCH heads.

Honestly, when you first spoke to me about this, I thought this was something huge.

The way you were talking, it was almost like you were describing a hand ported job which went bad.

That was the image that I had in my mind when you first spoke with me about this and after I had heard your description. I was seriously thinking that someone had hand ported these heads and screwed them up, and misrepresented them as CNC heads.

When you told me that it looked like a 6yr old had gone crazy with the grinder, I'm honestly looking for, and expecting to see pics of Dremel marks inside the intake and exhaust ports.

You're description was that these heads were totally ****ed, butchered. And that when the pics got out, that it wasn't going to do WCCH's business any good.

So I'm automatically getting concerned myself, on pins and needles, as I have WCCH heads myself, I'm thinking "holy smokes, this must be really bad" and I'm expecting to see grinder marks on the pedestals and seats. I'm expecting to see a total, no holds barred, hack job on these heads.

But when the pics come out, we don't see the intake and exhaust ports. We don't see the valve guides, we don't see the springs, the retainers, the valves, etc.

I look at the the pictures, and I'm seeing exterior scuffing on the ribs, some of it in the same areas as my own heads, but granted to somewhat of a greater degree, I'm looking at these heads now and I'm saying to myself; "really"????? This is what all of the hubbub was about???? These are the heads that are supposed to be butchered and ****ed and threaten to kill WCCH's reputation????.

I mean yes, there is some cosmetic matter here, on the bottom of the heads, but deburring a set of heads is hardly cause for others to worry about having "ticking time bombs" from WCCH.

How about it Griffee? We've seen the exterior bottom of the heads. Please show us the following views of these heads.

What's the decking look like? the milling at the exhaust ports looks good from the pic intended to show the grinder marks. I'm waiting with baited breath to see how the rest of the work looks.

Thanks

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-03-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM
NHRA95
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clogan
Makes you wonder if WCCH has the same QC guys as GM, huh!
Those suppose to be a quality product? I would send them back.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
SSSUPRA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this hot air about deburring and I can count 4 or 5 pics of heads laying on their mating surface with not so much as a rag to protect them?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:51 AM
240sx2jz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so someone got a little wacky with the die grinder and now the heads are in jeopardy??!! Good god, maybe the casting marks were a little aggressive on these heads and he really didnt want to have anyone hurt. Also maybe he hired a less experienced person to do this "grunt" work, i mean with all the people sending Rich heads thee days i can totally see him hiring some of the smaller less particular tasks. this WILL NOT effect anything, if you want to spend 2 hours fixing it with some sand paper and blending the edges more power to ya. Would i be amped if i found this?? nope, would i look around the head to see if everything else looked in order? yup, but i wouldn't go hurting a guys reputation over it. If this was on a mating surface or anything of importance i would 100% agree with you, but i would relax unless this motor was going in a car for the Ridler, hahaha.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:07 AM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 276 Posts

HAHA, this thread is absurd. If you really want to get rid of them because of that, then let me know. I would gladly put them on my car
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 240sx2jz
so someone got a little wacky with the die grinder and now the heads are in jeopardy??!! Good god, maybe the casting marks were a little aggressive on these heads and he really didnt want to have anyone hurt. Also maybe he hired a less experienced person to do this "grunt" work, i mean with all the people sending Rich heads thee days i can totally see him hiring some of the smaller less particular tasks. this WILL NOT effect anything, if you want to spend 2 hours fixing it with some sand paper and blending the edges more power to ya. Would i be amped if i found this?? nope, would i look around the head to see if everything else looked in order? yup, but i wouldn't go hurting a guys reputation over it. If this was on a mating surface or anything of importance i would 100% agree with you, but i would relax unless this motor was going in a car for the Ridler, hahaha.

I completely disagree with this. These heads are garbage an are no good anymore. Griffee let me know what you want for them. 240sx2jz is an amateur. Don't listen to him
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

You're not even going to see or care about those marks once everything is installed.....
Old 11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow. Just wow. I'll take those horrendously hacked-up cylinder heads off your hands.

How about some pics of the work that actually makes a difference?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LFZ
You're not even going to see or care about those marks once everything is installed.....
Exactly! Once these heads are installed the OP will never see these marks. I'd rather that the machine shop remove the burs than cut my fingers!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:24 AM
spra4u
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This thread is why I sometimes wonder about some of the other BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION situations that arise on this forum. Let me know how much you want for them. They look horrible! My Z has 8K miles, I'll swap mine for yours plus some cash. Then you can send them to WCCH and ask them not to debur any sharp surfaces.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by spra4u
This thread is why I sometimes wonder about some of the other BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION situations that arise on this forum. Let me know how much you want for them. They look horrible! My Z has 8K miles, I'll swap mine for yours plus some cash. Then you can send them to WCCH and ask them not to debur any sharp surfaces.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Griffee
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06

How about it Griffee? We've seen the exterior bottom of the heads. Please show us the following views of these heads.

What's the decking look like? the milling at the exhaust ports looks good from the pic intended to show the grinder marks. I'm waiting with baited breath to see how the rest of the work looks.

Thanks
I'll get some for you later Quick. Not much to see really. Decked heads with valve and springs installed. Do you know your installed spring pressures open & closed? I don't. No info. So it's good for XXX cam?

Bottom line is: this is what you should expect when you send in your heads. Nothing more or less. I wasn't informed when sending them that this was going to be done. If your good with his procedure...well ENJOY... Well if your not...then sell them or do something about it.

I have my reasons for not liking it, and plain and simple I don't like it. I don't care how many of you do think it's acceptable...they aren't yours.

I know this much from the good old days...if I take them to another machine shop....they weren't done right...and yada yada yada. So there is no point in even "checking" them. It is what it is and that's a fact.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

Ricky, I never ever told you on the phone that the crappy work had any impact on their operation. I know you and everyone else feels the need to defend what they spent their hard earned money on, human nature. i totally understand (and probably would do so myself) It just pisses me off because I got sucked up into this because I sold Griffee the heads and the intials thoughts was that I "may" have been responsible for their condition. (I turned my 6 year old loose on them).

Sorry, I'd never let something like that out the door of my business. My admittedly sensationalistic point was that if they let stuff like this go, what else that we can't see is mucked up???
Old 11-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

Eh, i have emailed WCCH twice asking some general questions, never heard back. Fine, i will have someone else do my heads if you're too busy to answer an email.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mookster
Eh, i have emailed WCCH twice asking some general questions, never heard back. Fine, i will have someone else do my heads if you're too busy to answer an email.
Be patient they'll reply. If not call them. Richard will talk your head off.

Bottom line is: this is what you should expect when you send in your heads. Nothing more or less. I wasn't informed when sending them that this was going to be done. If your good with his procedure...well ENJOY... Well if your not...then sell them or do something about it.
This has no effect on the heads and you won't even see this when installed. Personally it looks like to me that a new person started and didn't understand what WCCH does to de-bur your heads. They round the sharp edges around the spark plug hole, and most importantly, the edge where the valve cover seals.

Originally Posted by SSSUPRA
This actually gives me a whole new outlook on the valve issue. If something like deburring can get blown this far out of proportion on this forum then I'm sure something like dropped valves can get blown WAY out.
I agree.

Originally Posted by SSSUPRA
All this hot air about deburring and I can count 4 or 5 pics of heads laying on their mating surface with not so much as a rag to protect them?
I would never let a freshly decked head touch any other surface than head gasket on the deck it was going on.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:17 PM
69dodgecharger
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It makes me wonder how many ticking time bombs WCCH is leaving out there
Seriously?
Is the deburring ugly? yes. Unnecessary? yes. Does it mean the heads are junk and that every set of WCCH heads are a going to fall apart because of some marks from a die grinder? No.

The OP has every right to not be happy with them if that is how he feels but before the WCCH bashing begins why not let the OP and WCCH work it out. He sent him an email and got back a pretty generic response. Where they aware that it looks like a 6 year old went to town or did they just think that the OP was complaining about what their deburring jobs usually look like?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I'll get some for you later Quick. Not much to see really. Decked heads with valve and springs installed. Do you know your installed spring pressures open & closed? I don't. No info. So it's good for XXX cam?

I have my reasons for not liking it, and plain and simple I don't like it. I don't care how many of you do think it's acceptable...they aren't yours.

I know this much from the good old days...if I take them to another machine shop....they weren't done right...and yada yada yada. So there is no point in even "checking" them. It is what it is and that's a fact.
With regard to my spring pressures, yes, I do know them.

If you have an invoice, then they should be on it. If not then you have a job number and they can tell you what all was done to the heads.

At any rate, I said before that it is you who has to be satisfied.

But in a thread like this, where you don't actually come out and ask opinions, but by its nature, opinions are going to be given, personally I think these scuff marks are much ado about little.

I even suggested contacting them for an adjustment on the pricing.

But looking at these and mine, I don't see a lot here that would leave me as much in arms as you seem to be.

Especially since the scuffs have not damaged the integrity of the heads, nor function and most importantly of all cannot be seen once installed on the car. That's the strange thing to me here. This is something which will NEVER be seen unless someone crawls under the car, or puts it on a lift and actually looks for it.

There is aluminum all under our cars. From the rear cradle, to the transmission and differential cases, and you will see scuff marks on those areas, as well as areas which have not been de burred.

I just don't see an area, which is not even going to be visible once the heads are installed by you, or anyone else, as a big deal, or as any indication that the business aspects of the heads are anything less than perfect. If you are saying otherwise, well then please post up pics of said areas.

But like you say, they aren't my heads.

Ricky, I never ever told you on the phone that the crappy work had any impact on their operation. I know you and everyone else feels the need to defend what they spent their hard earned money on, human nature. i totally understand (and probably would do so myself) It just pisses me off because I got sucked up into this because I sold Griffee the heads and the intials thoughts was that I "may" have been responsible for their condition. (I turned my 6 year old loose on them).

Sorry, I'd never let something like that out the door of my business. My admittedly sensationalistic point was that if they let stuff like this go, what else that we can't see is mucked up???
Well now you did paint a pretty gloomy picture when you contacted me Undy.

I'm looking at this as a person on the outside looking in and here is what I see and I'm just being honest here.

1. You put up a post awhile about how you didn't get a "warm and fuzzy feeling" was I believe how you put it, after talking to Richard about the tumble polish of the stock intake valves.

2. You buy into the mid machines pedestal reports which initially came out a couple months ago and proclaim that you are going to, I believe you said "get all the crap out" and just go with PRC heads.

3. You said that this was a more cost effective means if dealing with the issue than sending the stock heads out to be redone at WCCH, and indicated that this was the way to go. Especially if you could sell your stock heads....odd since you had referred to the stockers as being of inferior quality.

4. You put out your 80 some odd thousand mile heads up for sale in here, after previously bad mouthing the stock heads and they don't sell until you reduce the price and Griffee buys them.

5. From what I understand next, it is you who sends the heads to WCCH and not Griffee. He pays you for the heads, you ship them out? Is this correct?

6. You contact me, tell me that the heads look like a 6yr old got loose on them with a grinder and that Griffee is liable to go public with the matter and when he does, Richard's business is going to take a hit as a result.

7. Griffee emails me the pics. I tell him just what I tell him in here.

8. After selling the guy your heads, and these scuff marks, you explain how glad you are you went with aftermarket heads, which in your case are PRC heads.

I think the guy is already upset enough, over albeit what myself and some of the others see as a minor issue to a non issue.

But to egg him on in this, I don't see as helping him.

I mean what's he supposed to do now to "make this right"? Sell these heads and go with PRCs over some cosmetic matter which can't even be seen?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-03-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,090 Likes on 574 Posts

Well now you did paint a pretty gloomy picture when you contacted me Undy.

I'm looking at this as a person on the outside looking in and here is what I see and I'm just being honest here.

1. You put up a post awhile about how you didn't get a "warm and fuzzy feeling" was I believe how you put it, after talking to Richard about the tumble polish of the stock intake valves.

2. You buy into the mid machines pedestal reports which initially came out a couple months ago and proclaim that you are going to, I believe you said "get all the crap out" and just go with PRC heads.

3. You said that this was a more cost effective means if dealing with the issue than sending the stock heads out to be redone at WCCH, and indicated that this was the way to go. Especially if you could sell your stock heads....odd since you had referred to the stockers as being of inferior quality.

4. You put out your 80 some odd thousand mile heads up for sale in here, after previously bad mouthing the stock heads and they don't sell until you reduce the price and Griffee buys them.

5. From what I understand next, it is you who sends the heads to WCCH and not Griffee. He pays you for the heads, you ship them out? Is this correct?

6. You contact me, tell me that the heads look like a 6yr old got loose on them with a grinder and that Griffee is liable to go public with the matter and when he does, Richard's business is going to take a hit as a result.

7. Griffee emails me the pics. I tell him just what I tell him in here.

8. After selling the guy your heads, and these scuff marks, you explain how glad you are you went with aftermarket heads, which in your case are PRC heads.

I think the guy is already upset enough, over albeit what myself and some of the others see as a minor issue to a non issue.

But to egg him on in this, I don't see as helping him.

I mean what's he supposed to do now to "make this right"? Sell these heads and go with PRCs over some cosmetic matter which can't even be seen?
Wow, just plain WOW!! No more comments on my part here... too many bus tire marks on my back. You surprise me Ricky... There will be no casual chat between us anymore as I don't want the world's opinion on what we discussed posted on an open forum.

Your recollections aren't entirely accurate either, just dramatized to suit your agenda.

Later, and good luck with everything.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:11 PM
briancb1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, WCCH thugs coming out in the masses.

I had WCCH 2's on my car and they performed fine but they are not an end-all-be-all head to have a cult following like they seem to have.

If I got my heads back from ANYONE that had all that ******** looking grinding on the sides I would be pissed and asking for an exchange. It looks like ****, end of story.

I have a nice looking engine bay and I've spent money to make it look nice, that's distracting and doesn't show professional craftsmanship or care. I've worked at a machine shop before and there are tools to pressionally debur parts, a die grinder is what a high school student would use.

Two thumbs down and everyone defending a shipped product that looks like that, go ahead and accept that kinda work - fine by me!
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Wow, just plain WOW!! No more comments on my part here... too many bus tire marks on my back. You surprise me Ricky... There will be no casual chat between us anymore as I don't want the world's opinion on what we discussed posted on an open forum.

Your recollections aren't entirely accurate either, just dramatized to suit your agenda.

Later, and good luck with everything.
Here's what you said Undy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581766253

And I'm sorry, you didn't say getting the crap out, you referred to redoing the stock heads as "polishing a turd".
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1581886447

Originally Posted by LFZ
Ok...so is this a milling problem? Geometry problem? Guide material problem? Actual guide problem? Overall head problem? The mystery still remains......
This is the major reason I made the decision to go with new aftermarket heads, to eliminate the POSSIBILITY of polishing a turd.
But you put the turd up for sale???? http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-p...post1581957563

And after you sell the guy your heads and this misfortune happens, you say how glad you are you went with aftermarket heads??

Talk a out being thrown under the bus, I see this as throwing Richard under it.

And how do you think the guy who bought the heads from you is going to feel after reading comments like that "polishing a turd" comment, followed up by how glad you are to have gone with aftermarket heads?

I don't think that is going to make him feel good especially at a time when the heads came back to him with these cosmetic blemishes on them.

But I'm looking at some of your past comments on PRC and WCCH heads, and getting the impression that you were never too keen on the service that WCCH offers in redoing stock heads,, and are taking the opportunity to use this mishap as a chance to further tout aftermarket heads such as PRCs, over Stage 2 WCCH heads.

I mean why else use the term "ticking time bomb", when you see nothing more than scuff marks, and NO images of the business side of the heads?

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-30-2012 at 04:06 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] WCCH HEADS....and what to expect.