Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] The Pricing of a Used C6Z06.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 12:58 PM
MurderZ
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default The Pricing of a Used C6Z06.

I will never understand the pricing of these cars. First of all they are considered the "best bang for your buck" cars, which I totally agree with.

I bought a 2007 Blk/Blk C6Z at a dealership this past february for 39k out the door with 6k miles on it. The car needed tires and the front splitter was scraped up. I figured I'd put 2k into it and still have a low mileage 2LZ for 41k. I put 8k miles on the car until July then traded it in on a 2010 Ford F350. They gave me 41k on trade in for the car...

I am on the hunt for another C6Z06 but it's getting frustrating. I don't want to seriously buy until february 2013 because its pointless to buy it over winter unless I find a STEAL.

I browse everyday for one, on every classified website out there. Lets say for example a 2006 blk/blk 2LZ Z06 with 30k miles on it. Car is mint and doesn't need anything. I personally think a good price for that car is 38k. I look on ebay and I find that car for 36k which is an amazing deal. Then I come on here and that car is 45k!!! What is going on??? The car on ebay sells in a day and the person on here sits on it for months explaining how they need to sell it ASAP but won't take a penny less. They'll NEVER sell it for their asking price.

I've been searching religiously for a z06 for about 2 months now. Every day on every website to monitor these cars. Just so I know how much I have to expect to pay. I've seen some 06-07s with sub 15k miles sell for 38-42k quite a few times. Some have been yellow which obviously is the cheapest selling, but a lot have been black, red, silver.

What I'm finding interesting is I'm starting to see 08's with 15-20k miles listing for 44-47k. Which I would MUCH rather do than an 07 just because of the transmission and it gives myself some piece of mind with the whole exhaust valve issue. I would swap heads as soon as I bought the car though just so it isn't an issue.

The thing is though, I'm seeing these 08s drop in price, now let this be known these aren't yellow Z06s or black ones really. I'm seeing Jet Stream Blue ones and Orange ones which seem to hold their value better than yellow and black by a few thousand at least. But the problem is that these 08 JSB cars with fairly low miles are priced at 45k when there is still the guy with a 06 Black Z06 with 35k miles for 44k. Which would you rather buy???

I never thought I'd have an opportunity to purchase a JSB Z06 which I would LOVE!! Every one I have seen is 50k+ no matter the mileage. Now these cars are dipping into my price range of low 40s! I just cannot wrap my head around some of these other overpriced Z06s that these people won't budge 100 dollars off of.

I'm very very very curious to see what happens when the C7s hit dealerships I don't think we'll see much of a decrease in prices but I do think we'll see an increase on the amount of C6Z's for sale. I just hope that they're not way overpriced compared to others.

I'm sorry for the long rant I don't know if it will make sense to some of you guys I am kind of just rambling. Just reporting my findings and hoping some C6Z owners will see this and think twice before they list their 06 1LZ that needs work with 50k miles for 44k.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL, this guy. Wouldnt wanna deal with a buyer like you EVER. You always get what you pay for!!!!

Do you even remotely care how much time you have WASTED by just looking everyday. Isnt your own time worth couple grand to you...goodness
Old 11-28-2012, 01:20 PM
MurderZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mookster
LOL, this guy. Wouldnt wanna deal with a buyer like you EVER. You always get what you pay for!!!!

Do you even remotely care how much time you have WASTED by just looking everyday. Isnt your own time worth couple grand to you...goodness

I'm not a pain in the *** buyer. I'm just a person who doesn't overpay for things and doesn't like ******** sellers who lie about things and what not. I'm not the type of person that emails a seller who is selling a car for 45k and offer him 35k. I'm just the type who calls these people crazy. You are probably one of those people.

Last edited by MurderZ; 07-06-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Yup, i would rather roll my car off a cliff than sell it to you. Who are you to tell people what their car is worth. If the price is NOT fair to you just f'ing move on!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Carnut1
Pro

Received 257 Likes on 128 Posts

Someone once told me a good deal is merely a state of mind and that is all. So what is a bad deal to someone might be a good deal for someone else. I have a 07 LMB with 22k and have turned down offers over 40k more than once so I guess I am saying no to a good deal.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:29 PM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

I looked for 2 years trying to find the right car for me at the right price. I do find it hard to believe that you bought an 07 Z with less than 6k on it for under 40k, unless there was something wrong with it, but so be it. Not calling you a liar, just hard to believe. Some cars are better than others, taken better care of, more options, less miles, closer to where you live, etc, etc.

I have an 06 Z and wouldn't take less than 42k for it, but its not for sale.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 PM
MurderZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
I looked for 2 years trying to find the right car for me at the right price. I do find it hard to believe that you bought an 07 Z with less than 6k on it for under 40k, unless there was something wrong with it, but so be it. Not calling you a liar, just hard to believe. Some cars are better than others, taken better care of, more options, less miles, closer to where you live, etc, etc.

I have an 06 Z and wouldn't take less than 42k for it, but its not for sale.
I understand it is hard to believe and thats what everyone says. But I do have the paperwork on file from the dealership that shows out the door price and mileage. I actually may frame it and hang it up on the wall just as a reminder of what I should pay.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
reece146
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Posted prices are soft...always, especially if you are looking at trader.com and similar.

Enthusiast sites are always inflated for stock cars. Enthusiast sites typically have great prices on modded cars though.

Ultimately though, sometimes it is worth paying a few grand for convenience.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:39 PM
Mookster
Drifting

Dude, just stop! You can have a car with 3k miles thats junk. I worked at a dealership, a major Ford dealership in Seattle area. Every high end car we took in our sales manager didnt care if we drove the pissing lights out of it. Remember once taking in an 03 Cobra with 11k miles...it sat on our lot for 57 days. Just about every sales person drove that car and you think we cared for that car?

When we sold that car, it had little over 12k miles...so sure it was a 'mint' low mile car(abused)

There are many factors to consider. Carfax/Autocheck for one, some of the Z06s i found that were for sale were "corporate lease"...then some i had the VIN check thru a dealer and certain cars had all sorts of work done and all had low miles.

My friend Joe on the other hand has a low mile 08 Z06 and he takes care of that car like no one i have ever met. Car is mint and all maintenance done on time bla bla bla...so should his car be worth more than someone else' abused car...of course it should.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM
gaklid
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carnut1
Someone once told me a good deal is merely a state of mind and that is all. So what is a bad deal to someone might be a good deal for someone else. I have a 07 LMB with 22k.......
Exactly....I also bought a 07 LMB, and paid $3k more than I originally wanted, but I really wanted LMB, it was local, the car was in great shape & was optioned the way I wanted, PLUS I got a warranty that covers the car to 75k mi. I could've kept looking for months on end, but my time is worth more to me....
Old 11-28-2012, 01:51 PM
MurderZ
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mookster
Dude, just stop! You can have a car with 3k miles thats junk. I worked at a dealership, a major Ford dealership in Seattle area. Every high end car we took in our sales manager didnt care if we drove the pissing lights out of it. Remember once taking in an 03 Cobra with 11k miles...it sat on our lot for 57 days. Just about every sales person drove that car and you think we cared for that car?

When we sold that car, it had little over 12k miles...so sure it was a 'mint' low mile car(abused)

There are many factors to consider. Carfax/Autocheck for one, some of the Z06s i found that were for sale were "corporate lease"...then some i had the VIN check thru a dealer and certain cars had all sorts of work done and all had low miles.

My friend Joe on the other hand has a low mile 08 Z06 and he takes care of that car like no one i have ever met. Car is mint and all maintenance done on time bla bla bla...so should his car be worth more than someone else' abused car...of course it should.
I can't disagree with you. Yes Joe's car should be worth more BUT I don't know Joe. Joe could be a very good liar and the car could've been tracked it's whole life and is truly beat to ****. The only proof I have is that you're telling me Joe takes care of his car. But I don't know you either...

Carfax isn't all that great either. Theres a loophole in that just like there is a loophole in everything else. Say your buddy Joe for example. Car is mint always taken care of, documented fluid changes, and receipts for everything BUT Joe went out one night while it was cold and spun his car off the road into a fence and maybe hit a sign or two. The car is beat up but can still drive and Joe limps it over to his buddy's body shop who is one of the best in the business and fixes the car 100% without reporting it to insurance or car fax.

I'm not saying Joe is doing this but just an example. I've seen it all too much. I've purchased so many cars in my life it's sickening and I've seen a lot of ********. Just this year I've had an 06 GTO, 07 Z06 and 2010 Ford Dually. Not including the beaters I've gone through.

It's just tough who you can trust out there. Every one is out for themselves and there is no true way to tell the history of a vehicle.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Mookster
Drifting

I carry a paint meter with me anytime im buying a used car Unless entire car was repainted paint meter wont lie

Yes, Carfax is just a tool but its decent...for the most part it tells you how many owners...i only buy 1 owner, maybe 2 owner cars when it comes to high end cars. I couldnt tell you how many times i came across a good deal and found out it was a corporate lease.

Also, certain markets carry a higher price tag. So if you're shopping across the country i can tell you Arizona and Texas appear to have lowest priced Z06(one would think they would have the highest since one could drive a Z there all year). Texas Auto Direct has many Z06s just about anytime at a good deal(their eBay rating is strong as well) but since im in car industry i found out ton of dirt on them. Seattle market tens to be one of the highest...

At the end of the day, used car is a risk and i think we all understand that.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:08 PM
MurderZ
Instructor

Yes it's definitely always a risk buying a used car. Something maybe you could tell me because I have noticed cheapest vehicles in Texas and Arizona. Why is that?

Btw your z06 is gorgeous I've seen it before and never put two and two together with your username.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Mookster
Drifting

My only guess would be that due to heat down there cars could be considered 'degraded'

Thanks on the compliment, btw i got it used(i was in similar boat as you at one point and i was prepared to go out of state) but after careful research decided to stay local.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,046 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by MurderZ
It's just tough who you can trust out there. Every one is out for themselves and there is no true way to tell the history of a vehicle.
Sure there is, buy new. Just sayin'.

You'd have a major change in POV if you wanted to sell your Z06.
Especially knowing you took good care of the car, and as many as were made, are still somewhat 'rare'. If you haven't already, drive one and find out why.

It'll be challenging finding unabused, solid, loved cars at this time of year, in any event. Try early (Feb) Spring.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM
jimbob8915
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I detect the OP crapping on my Yellow Z. I looked for a year for my Z an no other color was an option. It HAD to be yellow.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM
zeeohh6ex
Burning Brakes

I agree with OP but some people are Crazy low ballers but for every lowballer I see 3 people asking 15% more then their car is worth

Get notified of new replies

To The Pricing of a Used C6Z06.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:09 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Too bad you cannot determine what you want, then find it and buy it. Why concern your self with what the price is. If the car is good, then the price will reflect it. I found a 2010 Z06, located 700 miles from where I live, called the seller, agreeded on the phone to buy it, drove to the location, paid, and drove it home - no regrets.
Nonetheless, good luck with your search.
vz
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

I bought a 2007 Blk/Blk C6Z at a dealership this past february for 39k out the door with 6k miles on it. The car needed tires and the front splitter was scraped up. I figured I'd put 2k into it and still have a low mileage 2LZ for 41k. I put 8k miles on the car until July then traded it in on a 2010 Ford F350. They gave me 41k on trade in for the car...
Just the simple fact that you recieved the same amount of money you had into that car on a dealer trade should tell you that you purchased the car for a fantastic deal. I will qualify that by saying I have no idea whether or not you got bent over on that F350 though...
Old 11-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

I will never understand the pricing of these cars. First of all they are considered the "best bang for your buck" cars, which I totally agree with.

I am on the hunt for another C6Z06 but it's getting frustrating. I don't want to seriously buy until february 2013 because its pointless to buy it over winter unless I find a STEAL.

I browse everyday for one, on every classified website out there. Lets say for example a 2006 blk/blk 2LZ Z06 with 30k miles on it. Car is mint and doesn't need anything. I personally think a good price for that car is 38k. I look on ebay and I find that car for 36k which is an amazing deal. Then I come on here and that car is 45k!!! What is going on??? The car on ebay sells in a day and the person on here sits on it for months explaining how they need to sell it ASAP but won't take a penny less. They'll NEVER sell it for their asking price.

I've been searching religiously for a z06 for about 2 months now. Every day on every website to monitor these cars. Just so I know how much I have to expect to pay. I've seen some 06-07s with sub 15k miles sell for 38-42k quite a few times. Some have been yellow which obviously is the cheapest selling, but a lot have been black, red, silver.

What I'm finding interesting is I'm starting to see 08's with 15-20k miles listing for 44-47k. Which I would MUCH rather do than an 07 just because of the transmission and it gives myself some piece of mind with the whole exhaust valve issue. I would swap heads as soon as I bought the car though just so it isn't an issue.

The thing is though, I'm seeing these 08s drop in price, now let this be known these aren't yellow Z06s or black ones really. I'm seeing Jet Stream Blue ones and Orange ones which seem to hold their value better than yellow and black by a few thousand at least. But the problem is that these 08 JSB cars with fairly low miles are priced at 45k when there is still the guy with a 06 Black Z06 with 35k miles for 44k. Which would you rather buy???

I never thought I'd have an opportunity to purchase a JSB Z06 which I would LOVE!! Every one I have seen is 50k+ no matter the mileage. Now these cars are dipping into my price range of low 40s! I just cannot wrap my head around some of these other overpriced Z06s that these people won't budge 100 dollars off of.

I'm very very very curious to see what happens when the C7s hit dealerships I don't think we'll see much of a decrease in prices but I do think we'll see an increase on the amount of C6Z's for sale. I just hope that they're not way overpriced compared to others.

I'm sorry for the long rant I don't know if it will make sense to some of you guys I am kind of just rambling. Just reporting my findings and hoping some C6Z owners will see this and think twice before they list their 06 1LZ that needs work with 50k miles for 44k.
Can you summarize in a single sentence the question or the point you are trying to make?

Quick Reply: [Z06] The Pricing of a Used C6Z06.