Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Any ls-7 any year can be affected!

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 01:41 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Default Any ls-7 any year can be affected!

Gm should not be allowed to get by further on this issue!
GM's Responce? Just shows how they don't care!
The ls-9's may have issue also!
We know what the problem is now!

GM needs to be forced to address this issue.
We know the cause and why Ls-7's are failing. Not all, but more are showing everyday!

We likely have a good Lawyer or two on this forum!

If all the ls-7 (ZO6) owners here! If we all chip in.

We can take GM on on this. We have a ton of documentation
on FAILED engines! They need to fix the heads!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:46 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

and the cause is ?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by RFZ
and the cause is ?
Have you been reading here for the last few weeks?
It is the Valve Guide wear causingthe valve's to fail which ruins the engine! From the bad heads!
I'll write a check for $500.00 today!
Old 11-24-2012, 02:31 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Have you been reading here for the last few weeks?
It is the Valve Guide wear causingthe valve's to fail which ruins the engine! From the bad heads!
I'll write a check for $500.00 today!
Valve guide wear is just the byproduct of something bigger...and it appears to be valvetrain geometry. Something I've suspected all along. I agree GM should repair the defect, but let's get 100% proof positive on what that said defect is.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

I asked weeks ago, where are the lawyers........or who knows one real well ????
Old 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedZ4me
I asked weeks ago, where are the lawyers........ [...]
Hiding, since they know LS7 owners are unlikely to come up with the millions it would take to successfully sue GM.

Even if the owners did pony up some $500 - $2000 each, after years or decades of litigation what would be their expected maximum return? A pair of new OEM heads with correct geometry but the same dodgy exhaust valves and the same dodgy rocker arm bearings, installed in their car at the local Chevy dealer by this guy:
No thanks . . . .
Old 11-24-2012, 03:48 PM
1320IN9
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Waste of time
Old 11-24-2012, 04:20 PM
VETTEMANN
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Valve guide wear is just the byproduct of something bigger...and it appears to be valvetrain geometry. Something I've suspected all along. I agree GM should repair the defect, but let's get 100% proof positive on what that said defect is.
As noted in another thread, if the rockers take more than 3/4 wrench turn to seat, the rocker pedestals are too low. To know they are too low implies it's a machining issue of the supplied heads, not a design (spec) issue. In other words, they are seated below the normal (spec) height, causing a geometry issue with side-loading on the valve stem, contributing to premature valve guide wear.

I'd be happy with GM LS7 heads that were machined within the engine design spec.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Gm should not be allowed to get by further on this issue!
GM's Responce? Just shows how they don't care!
The ls-9's may have issue also!
We know what the problem is now!

GM needs to be forced to address this issue.
We know the cause and why Ls-7's are failing. Not all, but more are showing everyday!

We likely have a good Lawyer or two on this forum!

If all the ls-7 (ZO6) owners here! If we all chip in.

We can take GM on on this. We have a ton of documentation
on FAILED engines! They need to fix the heads!
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...s7-owners.html

See this thread -- A law firm that specializes in class action suits has reached out to me, after I posted this. I consolidated the links and the various list of Z06's non-modified on this forum that have had catastrophic engine failure and forwarded it to them. - we need to wait and see what happens
Old 11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

See this thread -- A law firm that specializes in class action suits has reached out to me, after I posted this. I consolidated the links and the various list of Z06's non-modified on this forum that have had catastrophic engine failure and forwarded it to them. - we need to wait and see what happens
The warranty on my 09 expires on July 28, 2013. Hope something happens by then. With the majority of the Z06's that have been built, having already run out of warranty, a class action lawsuit is the only thing that will get GM's attention. In another 12 months, they won't have that many Z06's, that are still covered by their warranty, to be concerned about.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo

No, I can predict what will happen :

1. Lawyers pockets millions, class winds up with peanuts (has it ever been otherwise?).

2. As a result of national publicity, Z06 used car prices plummet by 50%. The original class institute a new class action lawsuit against GM, this time for diminished value. Again, the lawyers pocket millions, and the class -- well, you know.

3. Disturbed by the plummet in value of their Z06, a separate group of Z06 owners form a class and sue the original class of Z06 owners for -- diminished value brought on by the original lawsuit. Their lawyers pocket millions, and their class -- well . . . .

4. New Corvette sales plummet, again due to adverse publicity (and the public not being all that knowledgeable about different Corvette models). Ford (Mustang) and Dodge (Viper) pocket millions in additional sales.

5. Due to lost revenue and legal fees, GM goes bankrupt (completely, this time). Taxpayers, who still own tons of GM stock, lose millions. Unemployment spikes due to all the UAW layoffs, and the country slips back into recession, which leads to bickering in Congress that prevents in increase in the debt limit. As a result, the country defaults on its debt; oil imports dry up as our credit dries up. Gas is rationed. Sports cars are outlawed.

Don't you just love a happy ending?

Last edited by Mark2009; 11-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Sad part is...that's probably 90% true.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X

1. Lawyers pockets millions, class winds up with peanuts (has it ever been otherwise?).

2. As a result of national publicity, Z06 used car prices plummet by 50%. The original class institute a new class action lawsuit against GM, this time for diminished value. Again, the lawyers pocket millions, and the class -- well, you know.

3. Disturbed by the plummet in value of their Z06, a separate group of Z06 owners form a class and sue the original class of Z06 owners for -- diminished value brought on by the original lawsuit. Their lawyers pocket millions, and their class -- well . . . .

4. New Corvette sales plummet, again due to adverse publicity (and the public not being all that knowledgeable about different Corvette models). Ford (Mustang) and Dodge (Viper) pocket millions in additional sales.

5. Due to lost revenue and legal fees, GM goes bankrupt (completely, this time). Taxpayers, who still own tons of GM stock, lose millions. Unemployment spikes due to all the UAW layoffs, and the country slips back into recession, which leads to bickering in Congress that prevents in increase in the debt limit. As a result, the country defaults on its debt; oil imports dry up as our credit dries up. Gas is rationed. Sports cars are outlawed.

As I said in an earlier post, the class action lawsuit against Mercedes-Benz resulted in my warranty being extended from 5 years/50,000 miles to 10 years/150,000 miles.

If I can get that from GM on my 2009 Z06, as a result of a class action lawsuit(or the threat of one)I will be happy.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
As I said in an earlier post, the class action lawsuit against Mercedes-Benz resulted in my warranty being extended from 5 years/50,000 miles to 10 years/150,000 miles.

If I can get that from GM on my 2009 Z06, as a result of a class action lawsuit(or the threat of one)I will be happy.
The poster I was replying to had something a little different in mind:

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo, in another thread
I wonder if there would be a lawyer interested in filing a case on the 20 someodd thousand LS7 equipped z06's. 15k per car would be a fair and reasonable amount. [...] A reasonable lawyer would charge 25% of $375m that would leave us $11,250 per car. [...]
Personally I don't want Mr. Goodwrench working on my car, especially replacing the engine, so any extra warranty on catastrophic failure is of little interest since I'd rather prevent the catastrophic failure to start with. However, I can understand why normally, or to most, a warranty extension would be a reasonable approach. I did specifically purchase a used Z06 that still had some powertrain warranty, but that was mainly to cover my butt until I got around to addressing the valve/guide issue (which I will probably do next summer).
Old 11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

The poster I was replying to had something a little different in mind:

The only way you can get a big company to be fair and reasonable - such as extending the warranty or acknowledging and simply fixing a design flaw in an 80k car is to threaten them with something over the top, that they think has a remote possibility of happening.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

GM should be forced to replace or develop a repair method for any out of spec heads on any year engine regardless of warranty. Even the ones that have been rebuilt as that should have not affected the original problem. These cars were sent out from the plants with faulty heads. Thanks to john_g_46 there seems to be a simple, relatively inexpensive procedure for checking this. GM has admitted there was (?) a machining problem. If it can be proved certain head/heads have the problem they should be replaced. Even if there was a charge for checking it would be worth it. Sounds simple.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:43 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by VETTEMANN
As noted in another thread, if the rockers take more than 3/4 wrench turn to seat, the rocker pedestals are too low. To know they are too low implies it's a machining issue of the supplied heads, not a design (spec) issue. In other words, they are seated below the normal (spec) height, causing a geometry issue with side-loading on the valve stem, contributing to premature valve guide wear.

I'd be happy with GM LS7 heads that were machined within the engine design spec.

Get notified of new replies

To Any ls-7 any year can be affected!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

The taxpayer loss would be MULTI BILLION, not millions.

The repercussions are what I would fear. It would no longer be the longest produced nameplate in US car hisory becuase if sales were really low they would drop it. C6 was also low in terms of mass produced sports car....albeit was caused by economy and out dated design.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Not really. GM sees the writing on the wall and extends factory warranties or issues a TSB. GM is just hoping we lay down like good little consumers and take it. Once they get sued they will roll over to avoid the ugly publicity during its c7 launch.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM
FAsnakes
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Quick Reply: [Z06] Any ls-7 any year can be affected!