Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Ride Height Problem.... Anyone else have this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ride Height Problem.... Anyone else have this?

Lowered the car, cut one bushing off rears and used Lingenfelter bolts for the fronts, all bolts wound out.
All is good except the left front is 7mm higher than the right front.
So screwed the bolt 3 turns down to raise the right front, the pad on the bolt is 7mm lower on the right front than on the left now, but ride height is still about 7mm higher on left front.
It does not seem right to keep screwing the right front bolt any further as the difference in bolt heights is already too much i think, they should be at least close.

Anyone come across this before and any ideas what to do?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 AM
OMG
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coilovers

just being a smartie, hopefully someone more useful then I will post...
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

How many miles are the new setup? Have you driven it much after adjusting? You may have some swaybar bind on one side also.

For some reason, these cars take a lot of time to settle and also, there is always variation from one side to the other due to body panel alignment, bushing tightness, weight distribution, etc. 7mm is not very significant, but I know it can bother a person.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Raise the right rear
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 383vett
Raise the right rear

What he said. Those bolts weren't designed to raise or lower the car, they are there to weight balance F to R and L to R for track handling.

The bolts correct height diagonally (weight jacking) so raising the Right rear lowers the Left front.

To do it right have it corner balanced, then aligned and try to ignore the small differences between the Left and Right sides.

Remember that there are lots of plus or minus tolerances in suspension and body panel fit and adjusting the suspension to look level isn't always the right thing to do.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Not to be crass, but sit in the driver's seat and have someone else measure. It may be perfect with you in it!

For handling, corner weighting is better than equal ride height.

Thumbs up for Aussie Z06's
Old 10-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Thanks guys, i figured 7mm is negligible, but would like to get it closer, since this car now is right hand drive i am probably not helping as my bodyweight is on the right side, and may be causing it to be lower.
I thought of raising the right rear but the rears are even so didn't want to touch them. Will try it though and see.
I did hit an animal a while back with the right front wheel and bounced over it, could not see any damage other than the front air dam for the brake duct, but who knows, may be it has put something out.

If only i had access to some good scales, could do it properly, but none around where i am.

Cheers
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Vet
Thanks guys, i figured 7mm is negligible, but would like to get it closer, since this car now is right hand drive i am probably not helping as my bodyweight is on the right side, and may be causing it to be lower.
I thought of raising the right rear but the rears are even so didn't want to touch them. Will try it though and see.
I did hit an animal a while back with the right front wheel and bounced over it, could not see any damage other than the front air dam for the brake duct, but who knows, may be it has put something out.

If only i had access to some good scales, could do it properly, but none around where i am.

Cheers
Maybe you have some bones and bits of carcus jammed in there

DH
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Cheers
Yes, I forgot about the right-hand drive. You Aussies are a real dedicated Z06 bunch.

You might want to see if anything is bent. I had a Supra TT that I time-trialed. After a highway accident, the RF wouldn't take as much camber as the LF. On careful checking the RF A-arm was bent. New A-arm and I got the same camber as with the LF. The bent A-arm would give the factory spec camber, but not the max. that the LF gave. For competition I needed it all to get the best times.

Last edited by AzDave47; 10-22-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Cheers
Back in 2009 I bought a new Vert....it sat slightly higher on drivers side. I wondered why. I did the museum tour/factory tour. I asked at the factory why....I was told by one of the factory guys at the BG plant that they usually set them that way because usually only the driver in the car. Then it sits level if that's the case.

My Z06 (bought new also) sets the same way......driver side is slightly higher than passenger side.

FWIW.

addL I forgot it's opposite for you guys too. Unless you ordered it that way???? (opposite drive side)

Last edited by tim414; 10-22-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Maybe you have some bones and bits of carcus jammed in there

DH
Had fun cleaning it all out thats for sure.... what a mess.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
40YRW8
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Just curious if you measured your car before you started your suspension mods. Also, where are the points that you are measuring; body, or frame?
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To Ride Height Problem.... Anyone else have this?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Ride Height Problem.... Anyone else have this?