Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 8 exhaust valves out, 8 new ones in PICS

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
they press out from the valve side. we use a pneumatic press that applies force with impact. they press out easily without galling as long as you maintain proper geometry.
Speaking of geometry, one of the potential causes that was thrown around was that the guide and seat might not be "lined up" properly - I think it was referred to as valve seat concentricity. If that was off from the factory, does your step of machining the seat correct that? What kind of tolerance is there for that process? Sorry of this is a dumb question, I'm not a machinist.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale1990
Speaking of geometry, one of the potential causes that was thrown around was that the guide and seat might not be "lined up" properly - I think it was referred to as valve seat concentricity. If that was off from the factory, does your step of machining the seat correct that? What kind of tolerance is there for that process? Sorry of this is a dumb question, I'm not a machinist.

Thanks!
every new head that i've seen has excellent seat concentricity and those with good guides maintain this. gm does an excellent job on all the LS heads in this regard.

it's when the guide wears that valve face to valve seat geometry goes awry.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:05 PM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

they press out from the valve side. we use a pneumatic press that applies force with impact. they press out easily without galling as long as you maintain proper geometry.
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

every new head that i've seen has excellent seat concentricity and those with good guides maintain this. gm does an excellent job on all the LS heads in this regard.

Thanks for the info!
Old 10-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Chalky
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Charlie:

Nice work. Just curious but based on this statement, are you inclined to believe this is a stock guide issue with the LS7 or a combination issue with guide and exhaust valve?
Old 10-13-2012, 05:49 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Chalky
Charlie:

Nice work. Just curious but based on this statement, are you inclined to believe this is a stock guide issue with the LS7 or a combination issue with guide and exhaust valve?
That's the 64,000 dollar question..up until the LS7 we just didn't see this type of wear - in fact, it was rare to find a guide issue on a LS1, LS2, LS3, etc. - and in the LS6, GM opted for sodium filled exhaust valves.

The obvious differences with the LS7, as I'm sure you know, is the implementation of the 1.8:1 ratio rockers arms and rev limiter moved to 7100 RPM. So, at least in my mind, unless there has been a material or tolerance change in the guide/valve combination, the increased rocker ratio or increased red line (or combination thereof) are likely at the root of the issue.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Keith N
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

$2,695 ...car will be in the shop for 3-5 working days

Parts Include

CHE Valve Guides
SS exhaust Valves
Dual Springs, ti Retainers, Steel Spring Bases
Stem Seals
Head Bolts
Head Gaskets
Comp Trunnion Kit

Machining & Labor

Install guides and hone to size
Comp Valve Job
Light "bowl porting"
Mill & CC
Clean & Assemble
Upgrade Rocker Arms
R&R Heads
RPM Motors recently did my heads and a valve job along with porting the intake & throttle body on my 2006 Z06 with 30,000 + miles. They have a full service shop and do excellent work at reasonable prices. My Z06 is running great and very strong.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the 64,000 dollar question..up until the LS7 we just didn't see this type of wear - in fact, it was rare to find a guide issue on a LS1, LS2, LS3, etc. - and in the LS6, GM opted for sodium filled exhaust valves.

The obvious differences with the LS7, as I'm sure you know, is the implementation of the 1.8:1 ratio rockers arms and rev limiter moved to 7100 RPM. So, at least in my mind, unless there has been a material or tolerance change in the guide/valve combination, the increased rocker ratio or increased red line (or combination thereof) are likely at the root of the issue.
is 1:8 pretty much the highest rocker ratio out there? the one thing i have always noticed is that the quide wear is the highest at the bottom of the measurement...could the aggressive ratio cause increased wear like that.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:29 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Default More data

Thanks Keith

here is the data from your heads...before rework of course

Originally Posted by Keith N
RPM Motors recently did my heads and a valve job along with porting the intake & throttle body on my 2006 Z06 with 30,000 + miles. They have a full service shop and do excellent work at reasonable prices. My Z06 is running great and very strong.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:21 PM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fly a Z06
CHE brinze guides in valve side
Is there a feature in the head that controls the height/depth of the valve guide?
Old 10-15-2012, 02:26 PM
carnutsx2
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

How much is the valve job w/o r&r?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by carnutsx2
How much is the valve job w/o r&r?
Comp valve job is $250

thanks,

charlie
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by john_g_46
Is there a feature in the head that controls the height/depth of the valve guide?
yes, a small step is on the guide
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM
john_g_46
Burning Brakes

yes, a small step is on the guide
Thanks.

I'll be doing my heads a week from Friday. When I changed plugs this past weekend, I noticed 6 and 8 were very wet with oil.

88,000 miles on the engine.

I'm convinced there is a geometry problem. You can't get excessive wear unless there is significant side force on the valve stem.

Among other things, I'm going with roller rockers...can't get side loads with rollers.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:39 PM
JetBlue427
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are pressed in.

if you do this yourself here's what we do. BTW, other methods work, it's just what we do.

1-remove guides
2-clean heads
3-preheat heads to 255° F
4-dry ice new guides
5-drop in place
6-let heads cool
7-hone guides to size
8-machine seats
How exactly are guides usually matched to the valve stem diameter? do they all come to that specific diameter that you need...or is it just a general smaller guide diameter that gets honed to the size you need? or are they just honed because they get mushroomed from pressing them in place?
Curious of any theories on what step they may have screwed up from the factory?

Quick Reply: [Z06] 8 exhaust valves out, 8 new ones in PICS