Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Baseline Dyno Pulls Katech Torquer

Old 10-03-2012, 08:01 PM
D-Rod
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustonSVT
That's depressing.
Don't get to caught up with dyno numbers if that's what you are referring to. My old H/C setup made 518/465 fully tuned and went low 10's in full weight. Give me low dyno numbers over low trap.

Look for Quicks car on the fast list very soon.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had mine done at Lethal Performance here in San Antonio. I have AR 1 7/8 headers and a FAST intake and I put down 538HP and 509 torque.
Danny and the crew at Lethal are great to work with too!

Last edited by RWE 427; 10-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Rod
Don't get to caught up with dyno numbers if that's what you are referring to. My old H/C setup made 518/465 fully tuned and went low 10's in full weight. Give me low dyno numbers over low trap.

Look for Quicks car on the fast list very soon.
Originally Posted by LOUFY
Whats "depressing" is how you think is numbers are low. The truth is the dyno numbers for the same combinations have continued to climb on this forum over the years. It won't be too long before a tune only gets you 600rwhp.
Both you guys are of course right.

I sort of put these numbers up wondering what reaction they would get and I did have reservations about putting them up.

This is why I show the entire run file which tells what the A/F ratios are at various RPMs, as opposed to just the graph.

All but one respondent in this thread, immediately recognized that these are the numbers of a cammed car with no prior dyno tuning at all.

But it may dyno more, or it may dyno less when it's all said and done, I don't know at this point, but this is just a starting point so that the tune can be completed, the A/F ratios dialed in and KR eliminated.

This is what it looks like to start.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RWE 427
I just had mine done at Lethal Performance here in San Antonio. I have AR 1 7/8 headers and a FAST intake and I put down 538HP and 509 torque.
What all was done to it?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
RWE 427
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
What all was done to it?
WCCH stage 2 port job with Ti intake valves stainless exhaust. LS9R clutch and AR 1 7/8 headers. Kathech 110 torquer was already installed on a fully built motor.

Last edited by RWE 427; 10-03-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Why are people even arguing over chassis dyno numbers? Slap it on another dyno and it will make 20rwhp more or maybe 15rwhp less. They are tuning tools and should not be taken for truth.

When Ricky takes it out to the strip and gets a trap speed, you will all have something to bench race about, but pissing back and forth over rwhp numbers is pointless.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
Why are people even arguing over chassis dyno numbers? Slap it on another dyno and it will make 20rwhp more or maybe 15rwhp less. They are tuning tools and should not be taken for truth.

When Ricky takes it out to the strip and gets a trap speed, you will all have something to bench race about, but pissing back and forth over rwhp numbers is pointless.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Turbosixx
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted my results for a comparison with stock manifolds. Not too many guys running stock exhaust with a cam. I agree with Richie, all dynos differ and the trap speed will tell the tale. But I don't think Ricky's combo is done yet. A little more fuel with no KR should net at least another 20 hp or so.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06

Good points, and that is exactly what we are trying to do here and why I had that bung put in today.

You aren't going to believe this, but as I was backing it onto the dyno, it threw a lean code and I had real reservations about going through with the dyno run.

Turns out, the guy who owns the shop, I had met about 10yrs ago when he raced Mustangs.

We decided to have him weld in a bung, before the pulls so that we could watch the A/F ratios as the car was making the pulls. If he saw anything that crazy or that he didn't like, he'd give me the signal and we'd stop the pull.

I cleared the code in my HPT, I was behind the wheel, he operated the dyno, and we did two pulls.

Yes, it was lean.

Originally Posted by RWE 427
WCCH stage 2 port job with Ti intake valves stainless exhaust. LS9R clutch and AR 1 7/8 headers. Kathech 110 torquer was already installed on a fully built motor.
Thanks for your response. So you have the above plus the Fast intake and you are at 538/509, and you have the 1 7/8 ARH headers, the Fast Intake, and full tune.

Is the Fast Intake ported?

At this point, I'm on the stock manifolds, the stock ported intake and waiting to complete the tune.

So yeah, this is about where I should expect it to be at this point.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-03-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:32 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick,
I did understand what you said about the tuning proir to posting. However, I don't suspect the startup tune and data logging will be that far off. I know it is running a bit rich, but some have got those numbers back with their bolt on only car.

Here's to your fully tuned numbers being a lot better.

I have the same cam going in my car. The funny thing is I have seen reports all over the place from this cam.

This one was 541/522 with cam, headers, cai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQuKq8xSuc

And this one did 516/458 with only cai and cam tuned on 91oct

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...o-results.html
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HoustonSVT
Quick,
I did understand what you said about the tuning proir to posting. However, I don't suspect the startup tune and data logging will be that far off. I know it is running a bit rich, but some have got those numbers back with their bolt on only car.

Here's to your fully tuned numbers being a lot better.

I have the same cam going in my car. The funny thing is I have seen reports all over the place from this cam.

This one was 541/522 with cam, headers, cai
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQuKq8xSuc

And this one did 516/458 with only cai and cam tuned on 91oct

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...o-results.html
Thanks.

But it's actually running lean. It needs fuel at just about every point in the RPM range. Those 13s you see, should be 12.7 12.8

As mentioned before, backing onto the dyno, it threw a lean code which I cleared out in my HPT prior to the dyno pulls and just before we decided to put the bung in.

The street tuning has primarily helped street drivability in addressing any surging, idling or bucking issues. Datalogging the street and highway driving is one thing.

WOT runs to 7K, and tuning for power, just simply became impractical on the street. I was going to complete the WOT data logging at the track this weekend, but just had a nagging feeling that I needed to know what the A/F ratios were before I tracked it (and damn if it didn't throw a lean code backing onto the dyno). That and I knew that I still had a bit of KR and did not want detonation and a broken piston on my first track visit. I had to know.

So that's part of why I went ahead and took it to the dyno.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 01-26-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:40 PM
HoustonSVT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, typed rich on accident. I did see that thou.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Jorday
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 39 Posts

I am impressed with how much power the car produced considering that was a shakedown run just to see where you are at.

I'd recommend a set of headers. Without them, I don't think you quite get the full heads/cam car experience. The sound, the extra hp/tq, definitely want to consider getting a set.

Last edited by Jorday; 10-03-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 PM
No4Play
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quick,

You have a solid setup man. Mine was built in my friends driveway and tuned at dallas performance. LG super pro's ported fast intake, ported NW TB made 562/520. DP says it's the hardest pulling vette for the mods it has he's ever tuned. Reworked, hand ported/polished heads, no milling.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:51 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Good move on putting the bung in the exhaust collector. It should allow your tuner to get a more accurate AFR than from the exhaust as usually done. It will also allow you to mess around if you get HPTuners. Just be careful if you do this it becomes addicting. I used lo log my car every day on my work commute and upload a new tune every morning

DH
Old 10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I keep reading about how not to focus on dyno numbers as we dont race dynos and I agree 100%. But now it seems that if we want more than 540rwhp after a hci swap, we will have to conform with an ugly power curve.

I have talked to several shops and they all agree that the ls7 cylinder head is an awesome design and can support way more than 540rwhp when properly worked over with a matching cam and ported stock intake/tb. And no matter what octane we use and without having an all out race car.

I know we all have different purposes for our cars, and we also have different opinions, but are we conforming for 520-540 rwhp when these engines can put out way more than that without sacrificing driveability. I mean, there are people putting out those numbers with just a cam and full exhaust, me for example, 545/490 with 93 oct in Texas and 525/470 with 91 octane in Phoenix. My cam does surge a little @ 1600 rpm but I have convinced myself that I drive a super fast sports car and not a Corolla so small sacrfices have to be made, and I can live with that.

Just wondering if we have been conditioned to believe these numbers are normal or if I've been lied to when I was told I can have a high 500 rwhp car that is streetable?

I should have proof pretty soon.

I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone else. Just thinking out loud and wanted to share.

Last edited by NachosZO6; 10-04-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
I keep reading about how not to focus on dyno numbers as we dont race dynos and I agree 100%. But now it seems that if we want more than 540rwhp after a hci swap, we will have to conform with an ugly power curve.

I have talked to several shops and they all agree that the ls7 cylinder head is an awesome design and can support way more than 540rwhp when properly worked over with a matching cam and ported stock intake/tb. And no matter what octane we use and without having an all out race car.

I know we all have different purposes for our cars, and we also have different opinions, but are we conforming for 520-540 rwhp when these engines can put out way more than that without sacrificing driveability. I mean, there are people putting out those numbers with just a cam and full exhaust, me for example, 545/490 with 93 oct in Texas and 525/470 with 91 octane in Phoenix. My cam does surge a little @ 1600 rpm but I have convinced myself that I drive a super fast sports car and not a Corolla so small sacrfices have to be made, and I can live with that.

Just wondering if we have been conditioned to believe these numbers are normal or if I've been lied to when I was told I can have a high 500 rwhp car that is streetable?

I should have proof pretty soon.

I mean no disrespect to the OP or anyone else. Just thinking out loud and wanted to share.
None taken.

Originally Posted by NachosZO6
I thought something new was happening in this thread, but apparently not. This crap is getting so old....
So now you know why I would post up dyno numbers from a car with an unfinished tune and an undecided path on whether or not headers will be included in the mod list.

To get people talking about something else aside from these damned valve threads, anticipated "statements" from GM mentioned nearly 5 weeks ago, pipe dreams of "unannounced" warranty extensions, legal implications of the whole dropped valve history and scenario, and stick shaking and vow making about never again buying GM products.

It's time to move on. Let's talk about something else. Lets "debate" something else. Like, well, dyno numbers.

I mean we can't argue the automatic vs manual subject in this section, so I figure dyno numbers are just as good.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-04-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Baseline Dyno Pulls Katech Torquer

Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 AM
NachosZO6
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

100% with you!!

Let's get back to how exciting it is to race this car or how fun the weekend drive was or how cool the car looks and sounds.

I know the valve thing is played out and I'm in the mist of having my heads reworked and others should do they same IF THEY want to, if not, jut drive the damn thing and enjoy it.

I hope my previous comments get some feedback.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Ricky,

Great looking flat torque line that you can place your beer on (very nice).

As you know the true measuring stick will be how she performs (trap speed) at the dragstrip after your final tuning is done.

As you also know you are leaving some decent power on the table until you add your longtube headers into the equation.

Best of luck with your new hotrod Z.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 10-04-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 AM
Undy
Safety Car

Received 1,091 Likes on 575 Posts

Looking forward to your final numbers Ricky! You are going to LOVE it!!!

I'll have my numbers up here soon enough. Katech Torquer 110, Fast 102, NW 102 throttle body, Kooks 1 7/8" headers and Jim Hall's 107R intake/Beehive combo.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Baseline Dyno Pulls Katech Torquer