Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:12 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MyLS1Hauls
Proper guide clearance could bea contributing factor to fewer blown motors? Are you serious?
Well, after reading what others have had to say about the issue, yes, it appears, at least to me, that it can be.

Are you saying that it couldn't be????

I'm taken aback though as to why you ask, as I thought this was commonly accepted as a possible potential contributing factor in the decrease of reported incidents and a key step in the overall management of the issue.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-01-2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:43 PM
MyLS1Hauls
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Well, after reading what others have had to say about the issue, yes, it appears, at least to me, that it can be.

Are you saying that it couldn't be????

I'm taken aback though as to why you ask, as I thought this was commonly accepted as a possible potential contributing factor in the decrease of reported incidents and a key step in the overall management of the issue.
It isn't a contributing factor. It is THE factor. WORN GUIDES IS THE PROBLEM
Old 07-01-2014, 02:05 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't try to tell Richard at WCCH that, he STILL believes THE problem is the stock hollow valves...thus there is little reason to wonder why any of his disciples would have difficulty in accepting such a simple concept

Cheers, Paul.

PS. And I rest my case because based on post#1393 it looks like were back to the theory of spontaneously combusting exhaust valves because unless you can prove it with your own thread, bad guides are apparently not necessary for the sort of valve failures the LS7 has been experiencing.

Last edited by MTIRC6Z; 07-01-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Well Hauls if you are saying that "worn guides" are the "root cause" for all of the failures we have seen over the last 7 or 8 years, you might consider starting a thread of your own to include all of the cases where evaluation for guide wear in blown engines due to dropped valves, was done, and showed the two to consistently co exist.

Good luck. No one has proven yet that "worn guides" are a consistent pre requisite for a dropped, hollow stemmed stock, inconsistent valve stem wall thickness, LS7 exhaust valve.

And yes, the stock exhaust valves....well, they have already been described by among others, a supporting forum vendor in here no less, as having varying and inconsistent wall thickness. Even if that vendor won't openly disclose, and refuses to discuss, their apparent "proprietary" techniques utilized for determining this, I still respect their findings in light of the documented failures described right in here.

I would also add that I accept and respect their right of refusal to discuss, or disclose the actual methods they used to determine that which they claim to have found, and accept any such reasons whatsoever they give for refusing to discuss their techniques. That's their prerogative.

But all of the above said Hauls, I would be very interested, very interested my fellow forum member and Corvette brother, in knowing what the stem to guide clearances were in each of the cases of stock exhaust valve failure we have seen described in here, and I'll be looking for the thread.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-01-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Fifedogg
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got my heads wiggle tested and every valve is out of spec intake and exhaust. I'm running stainless exhaust valves on stock guides. 26k miles on stock ported heads. Some way way out of spec. There is no doubt in my mind if I still had stock ex valves in there I would have already dropped a valve.

I plan on replacing them ASAP and won't drive my car until I do. I already have a set of stock cores I'm going to send off shortly.

Last edited by Fifedogg; 07-01-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:22 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fifedogg
Just got my heads wiggle tested and every valve is out of spec intake and exhaust. I'm running stainless exhaust valves on stock guides. 26k miles on stock ported heads. Some way way out of spec. There is no doubt in my mind if I still had stock ex valves in there I would have already dropped a valve.

I plan on replacing them ASAP and won't drive my car until I do. I already have a set of stock cores I'm going to send off shortly.
Good thing you caught it when you did Dogg.

Those powdered metal guides can wear out fast once the wear starts.

At least your valves were strong enough to keep you from suffering a very expensive mishap.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 PM
ctsv510
Pro

How many miles have you had the replacement exhaust valves installed?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Don't try to tell Richard at WCCH that, he STILL believes THE problem is the stock hollow valves...thus there is little reason to wonder why any of his disciples would have difficulty in accepting such a simple concept

Cheers, Paul.
Lets see now. Who am I going to trust has a better understanding of how valves, guides etc work in heads, you or Richard. Damn that was an easy discision

Seems that tons of guys with LS7 also trust his opinion. He recently processed 9 sets of LS7 heads in 5 days. And he reports that many other guys are moving up to the All Pro and Brodix heads, none of which run the stock OEM exhaust valve.

DH
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I didn't even realize that I didn't have you on the listing Fifedogg.

I just went up and added you, and good luck with the rebuild. You definitely dodged a bullet as your valves held together until you could first identify that you had a problem, and that is a good thing.

This could have easily gone the other way had you still had the stock exhaust valves in it. We would be reading about your dropped valve incident, and you would be shoping for a new crate motor right about now.

Instead, you are only looking to have your heads done.

Big price differential, without a doubt.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:01 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Wait...you had your heads re-worked 26K miles ago, and the valve guides are all out of spec again??

Who re-worked your heads originally, and what precisely did they do?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
MTIRC6Z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
Wait...you had your heads re-worked 26K miles ago, and the valve guides are all out of spec again??

Dude get with the program, it doesn't matter, nothing matters as long as you've got SS valves in there and you got them from WCCH

I'd like to hear how our resident gurus or their best buddy Richard go about explaining how SS valves managed to wear out a bunch of valve guides when that wear is KNOWN (at least to our gurus and WCCH) to be the responsibility of the stock OEM valve

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MTPZ06

At the very least, we know that he was on stock guides and running SS valves with them.

So that tells us that either someone installed new SS valves into his old stock guides, which has happened in here before I might add, and with similar results....or someone put in new stock guides with new SS valves. Another questionable approach if not an outright boo boo from all indication thus far.

Across the discussions in here, and across the continental United States, it thus far appears that new manganese bronze guides and SS valves are the usual manner in which this issue is typically addressed in the LS7, and a manner which has thus far proven to be successful.

Bronze guides are said by at least one forum vendor, in an exchange with one of our forum members, to have better wear characteristics:

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
Bronze guides have superior wear characteristics. This is why we use them in 24 hour race engines. If iron guides were superior we would use them in the C5-R and C6.R.
Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Okay then, I'm gunna have a hard time reconciling your experience with what Brian Tooley had to say on the subject...all be it his opinion seemed most directed towards street so maybe we can't assume what works for a race car will automatically work for a street car???

Powdered metal versus bronze guides
As many of you know I owned Total Engine Airflow from 1993 until 2004 when I sold it to Summit Racing and then worked with the guys at Trick Flow Specialties until 2010 where I developed every CNC program they have, as well as worked on new cylinder head designs. Of the dozens and dozens of used aftermarket heads with bronze guides that came into my shop using stock rockers, the number of heads that had what I would consider excessive guide wear (over .004”) was 100%.

There is no comparison in hardness between powdered metal guides and bronze guides. Powdered metal guides are far harder, and since they’re engineered with silicon they have good lubricity properties. I’ve checked OEM LS guides from a truck with 150,000 miles that only had .0001” of wear. Bronze guides when using stock rockers is a poor choice in my opinion, simply based on the guide wear that I’ve seen in my years of experience. I’ve seen bronze guides with 10,000 miles have .010” wear. Most shops never have the opportunity to check this. I’ve seen heads with no oil consumption or any other obvious issues have .010” of guide wear, this is a testament to how good modern valve seals are.
What he says is fine, we just have different experiences.
And:

Bronze guides don't wear as quickly as PM guides. Bronze guides appear at this time to fix the problem and as I say we're monitoring it. I can say we're looking at other improvements to the valvetrain system, but rocker arms are not one of them....

Somebody is making the connection between valve guide wear and alleged valve failures. We are not making that connection as we can't confirm it. We're not seeing valve failures. I don't know what the root cause of these stock engine failures is because we are not evaluating them.

No chance. I really think this is being blown way out of proportion and people with stock engines don't have much to worry about. I myself have a high lift cam and stock valve guides and valves. I have no fear in driving it. In the future I would like to change to bronze guides, but it's not stopping me from enjoying the car

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-01-2014 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 10:42 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[...] Across the discussions in here, and across the continental United States, it thus far appears that new manganese bronze guides and SS valves are the usual manner in which this issue is typically addressed in the LS7, and a manner which has thus far proven to be successful.[...]
Is WCCH still using the manganese bronze guides? I thought they dumped CHE and began using some other brand that may be of different composition, so can you confirm that your claim above is still current?[/QUOTE]
Old 07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark2009
Is WCCH still using the manganese bronze guides? I thought they dumped CHE and began using some other brand that may be of different composition, so can you confirm that your claim above is still current?
Can you confirm that it isn't?

I ask because I have seen no indication in here that it isn't, and I know that there is indication that you are currently in the process of addressing this issue in your own car, and thus your information as to what professionals are using and doing might be more current than my own.

If you know of more current information with regard to this matter, specifically with regard to which professionals are using what when it comes to valve guides, and what type of success they are having with these choices and over how long, well then I request that you indicate so in the thread.

Thanks for your assistance and your anticipated write up and input into the thread in this regard Mark2009.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 07-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:02 PM
Mike hoppe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default wiggle test

where did you have the wiggle test done
Old 07-01-2014, 11:51 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Can you confirm that it isn't? [...]
So, you don't know what brand or type of bronze valve guide WCCH is currently using. Thanks for confirming that
Old 07-02-2014, 12:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

So, you don't know what brand or type of bronze valve guide WCCH is currently using.
Do you?

And why are you discussing this non forum sponsor anyway?????

Thanks for confirming that
Well, actually it took no effort on my part, so no thanks is really needed.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 07-02-2014, 01:33 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

So, you don't know what brand or type of bronze valve guide WCCH is currently using. Thanks for confirming that
Would you actually like to know the answer to your question ?

DH
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Is WCCH still using the manganese bronze guides? I thought they dumped CHE and began using some other brand that may be of different composition, so can you confirm that your claim above is still current?
That's VERY strange as WCCH is the only company I know that you can get the upgraded CHE bushed rocker from...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ramairws6
That's VERY strange as WCCH is the only company I know that you can get the upgraded CHE bushed rocker from...
What is EVEN stranger is that it was posted quite some time ago that WCCH had switched to a different brand valve guide, or at the very least were not exclusively using one brand/type:

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06 on 3-22-2013
The guides used in "The Fix" are not always C.H.E. guides.

Si Valves, made the guides in mine and in at least one other set of heads that I know about.

http://www.sivalves.com/ocantique_vguides.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?