Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 09:34 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Some people really don't understand the power of the internet. Misinformation and information spread rapidly these days. Just because its popular doesn't make it good for you.

Last year people were buying and swallowing tapeworms from the internet for weight loss... Yes... tapeworms. Hmmmm... Wonder where they read that little jewel of information from.... Yup.. the good ole internet. Do you know how many companies made money on the internet selling tapeworms?? Scary...
Old 04-19-2014, 09:42 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
Some people really don't understand the power of the internet. Misinformation and information spread rapidly these days. Just because its popular doesn't make it good for you.

Last year people were buying and swallowing tapeworms from the internet for weight loss... Yes... tapeworms. Hmmmm... Wonder where they read that little jewel of information from.... Yup.. the good ole internet. Do you know how many companies made money on the internet selling tapeworms?? Scary...
I could not agree with you more in regard to your comment "Just because its popular doesn't make it good for you".

But by the same token, just because it's popular, it doesn't make it "bad" for you either.

I think it's important that this membership have information on this method and it's history and progress, both within the United States and outside of it.

Too often members don't get a good enough perspective of what goes on outside of this forum, and when it comes to these cars in general, and more specifically what goes on in the management of the valve issues in them outside of the United States.

The attitudes and approaches used in other lands with regard to this matter, are of importance I think.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:04 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I could not agree with you more in regard to your comment "Just because its popular doesn't make it good for you".

But by the same token, just because it's popular, it doesn't make it "bad" for you either.

I think it's important that this membership have information on this method and it's history and progress.

Too often members don't get a good enough perspective of what goes on outside of this forum, and when it comes to these cars in general, and more specifically what goes on in the management of the valve issues in them outside of the United States.

The attitudes and approaches used in other lands with regard to this matter, is of importance I think.

I agree, but sadly your approach is not one of openness. Your approach is a disservice to the members as it is completely biased. Your not reporting what people are doing. Your reporting what people are doing if it goes along with what you feel people should be doing. All others are wrong, ignored and their research dismissed. This is in no way a service to the members here. If you felt "The attitudes and approaches used in other lands with regard to this matter, is of importance I think." You wouldn't dismiss solid evidence of success that goes against your personal opinion that other shops are using.

Katech is a huge company. One of the biggest in the US. If AH is doing 2 a week with SS valves how many is Katech doing with OEM valves? There are no reports of post fix failures coming out of the Katech camp either and you can bet the number is bigger than 353.

You continue to leave out example after example of intake guides being out of spec negating the valve being the culprit to failure. You continue to ignore evidence of fresh GM heads with no miles coming out of the supplier with machining issues. Research by other companies who you dont agree with about instability compared to the OEM valves. If your approach was to be a service to the members of this forum no evidence or facts would be left out. Every aspect of what we know would be included.

You leave out these important facts because they don't fit into your agenda. This is why I and many others can never take a thread like this seriously. Someone like you who is looking to be of service to the forum shouldn't be anywhere nearly as biased as you are being.

If this was a thread of healing with all aspects of cures welcomed and embraced it would have a lot more merit. However this is simply one side of many very popular and successful approaches to this problem. What makes it the right one? Because you talk about it more than most care to? There are literally thousands of cars and owners and shops out there who disagree with this approach. The difference is they aren't spending their days keeping lists and pushing an agenda on this forum. They just moved on...

Last edited by propain; 04-19-2014 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

I think its despicable how a certain member of the forum seems intent on trying to get this thread closed down. This is a valuable thread with a lot of work involved to document all the members who have decided to follow the advise of innumerable qualified Forum Sponsors and advise from a world renowned head builder, Richard at WCCH.

This member continues to espouse how Ricky's opinion is biased, unfounded, blablabla ……………… its just killing him how many people just don't buy his crap and keep making their motors safer with SS valves.

Well get the hell out of here and go tell the world how smart you are in that thread you started.

Ricky, ignore this guy. You don't have any obligation to respond to him. Please keep this thread alive we need it to document whats going on in the the real world

DH
Old 04-20-2014, 01:47 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
I think its despicable how a certain member of the forum seems intent on trying to get this thread closed down. This is a valuable thread with a lot of work involved to document all the members who have decided to follow the advise of innumerable qualified Forum Sponsors and advise from a world renowned head builder, Richard at WCCH.

This member continues to espouse how Ricky's opinion is biased, unfounded, blablabla ……………… its just killing him how many people just don't buy his crap and keep making their motors safer with SS valves.

Well get the hell out of here and go tell the world how smart you are in that thread you started.

Ricky, ignore this guy. You don't have any obligation to respond to him. Please keep this thread alive we need it to document whats going on in the the real world

DH
I'm going to work diligently on the thread Howie.

I'm looking forward to continually seeing how owners are handling this matter in other parts of the world and what types of results they are getting as well.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-20-2014 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:01 AM
DSKREET
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just put WCCH heads and PatG cam in this weekend. Car has 14K on her, 11k on boost.
Pictures are worth a thousand words so I'll share them instead

Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DSKREET
Well just put WCCH heads and PatG cam in this weekend. Car has 14K on her, 11k on boost.
Pictures are worth a thousand words so I'll share them instead

Wow Dskreet Congrats and Terrific. Great pics. Especially of the guides and their extension through the guide bosses. Outstanding photography.

Added you to the listing, and I appreciate you posting up..

Also, I have looked at my PMs and am well aware of what's happening and will follow their advice.

Folks let's try and remain as singularly focused from here on in as we can. So from here on lets avoid any further distractions, side tracking, and talk about "tapeworms" and such and stick to the matter at hand.

If you're dissatisfied with the thread, or have a problem with the subject matter being discussed within it, well, I'm going to have to respectfully, respectfully ask that you move own.

I've tried not to be rude or disrespectful by simply ignoring fellow forum member's comments and stated concerns, and have replied to them. But some of my fellow members are imploring me to no longer do that, and as such, and to that end, I have deleted two prior replies and truncated others, so as to prevent any further sidetracking via responses to those replies.

We have another member who has notified me that his work is to start May 2, and so Mike, I'll get you on the listing for us then as well as Mubarak when his work starts.

Keep 'em coming guys, and Happy Easter.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-21-2014 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM
MarkC
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 321 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020
C2 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Ricky, ignore this guy. You don't have any obligation to respond to him.
Please keep this thread alive we need it to document whats going on in the the real world

DH
Well said Howie, I second your advice.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:46 AM
LT5 John
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to work diligently on the thread Howie.

I'm looking forward to continually seeing how owners are handling this matter in other parts of the world and what types of results they are getting as well.

Ricky, continue your documenting- great job...
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM
Les-10
Bow-Tie Guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Ricky, continue your documenting- great job...
Thanks for your continued efforts.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

And thanks for the words of advice and encouragement from each of you.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '14

DH

Im sorry you feel this way Howie. No one is trying to get the thread locked down. Unlike this attack and accusation "this members" posts are simply debating the points and the problems they have with its one sided data collection and the underlying unsubstantiated comments that come with it. I am free to do this just like other were free to do it when Katech posted their findings in their spintron thread.

As to the data collection in this thread and the Job Quick is doing I think its fine on its surface and he is doing a nice job with it. Its those little undertones and digs where the problems surface. I think he knows exactly what he is doing when he makes those posts so lets not play coy here.

Unsubstantiated comments like:

...a better cylinder head and exhaust valve option over stock.
When you add things like this to a data collection thread it invites debate. Funny how a spintron test is dismissed because of bias and debated incessantly on this forum yet this blanket statement with nothing to back it up should be accepted without debate.

It would seem people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Oh and Buona Pasqua to all.

Last edited by propain; 04-20-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:37 PM
Vette @ 71
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by propain
Im sorry you feel this way Howie. No one is trying to get the thread locked down. Unlike this attack and accusation "this members" posts are simply debating the points and the problems they have with its one sided data collection and the underlying unsubstantiated comments that come with it. I am free to do this just like other were free to do it when Katech posted their findings in their spintron thread.

As to the data collection in this thread and the Job Quick is doing I think its fine on its surface and he is doing a nice job with it. Its those little undertones and digs where the problems surface. I think he knows exactly what he is doing when he makes those posts so lets not play coy here.

Unsubstantiated comments like:

When you add things like this to a data collection thread it invites debate. Funny how a spintron test is dismissed because of bias and debated incessantly on this forum yet this blanket statement with nothing to back it up should be accepted without debate.

It would seem people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Oh and Buona Pasqua to all.
No facts will replace opinions of some who are wedded to "The "Fix". Much $$$ and reputation has been expended protecting the "Fix".

New evidence/unequivocal evidence on the source of guide wear as well as state of the art spintron testing is dismissed.

Anyone who finds themselves in the unfortunate position of having to decide what to do with worn guide needs to carefully evaluate the recommendations offered by some on this forum and try to weed out the bias and un substantiated claims.

Archival data collection does not make one an expert.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:20 PM
VetteNinja69
Advanced

Car is in the shop now getting heads milled, torquer cam, ss valves, dual springs and bronze guides. How do you think the ss valves with a mild cam will affect the engine overall?
Old 04-20-2014, 01:41 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nolimit510
Car is in the shop now getting heads milled, torquer cam, ss valves, dual springs and bronze guides. How do you think the ss valves with a mild cam will affect the engine overall?

Congrats Nolimit510, I'm on this iPad now so I'll add you when I go back inside.

As for the Torquer and your valves, talk with your engine builder and pick his brain about prior customers of his with this setup.

I can tell you that there are a number of members in here, myself included, who run this setup, and I have seen no issues reported in here running that setup.

If you want to PM me, I can dig out links to posts of members who actually run this setup andw shops which have actuallly done these, and get them to you and you can ask those shop owners and car owners about their experiences.

One may be near you and this is another reason why the listing is categorized in terms of state/locale. BTW, what state are you in?

Since I am no expert, and am making no effort, nor have made any effort to hold myself out as one, I'm just an enthusiast trying to get through this mess, a consumer, like many of the rest of our members, I will tell you up front that I'm not an expert, were i to have the same concerns or questions that you are bringing up, I would go the route of contacting my engine builder or cylinder head professional with the cam specs, see what they had to say, and couple that with the information and results gathered from actual owners of the setup like the one I would be going with.

Best of luck, and I'll add you to the listing at first opportunity.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-20-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] I can tell you that [...] I have seen no issues reported in here running that setup. [...]

Old 04-20-2014, 02:32 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark2009

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 04-20-2014, 02:43 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

I added you Nolimit510.

If you want, you can contact the two shops below regarding their experiences with the Torquer cam in their builds.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ls7-heads.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...06-at-rpt.html

And

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1583939884

Good luck Nolimit510. cheers:

You can also do a search and see what kinds of real world results owners of the Torquer cam and SS valves actually report.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=40814167

On another interesting note, the thread has gotten just over 1,000 additional views since about 3 days ago, and there have been an additional 6 new members (names listed in red print) added since that time.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-20-2014 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Corrected 5 new members to 6 with the addition of Samatbama
Old 04-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Matt Cyber Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by Nolimit510
http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/1406_ho...s/viewall.html

http://www.katechengines.com/contact-us/

Nolimit,
Im sure you'd be Interested in seeing this Test preformed by one of the countries premier
Corvette race engine builders-- Also since it is "Directly" directed towards your Question :-)

Did I just type, Directly Directed in the same sentence ? lol

Last edited by Matt Cyber Z06; 04-20-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:53 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

You may as well move on too buddy.

There is no derailing this thread. Too much momentum.

You see the + signs in the first post of this thread???

That's how many people in here have gone this route since that information initially came out in a thread started way back in January of 2013. I think you will count around 56-57 members with that "+" sign in their columns.

Many of our members and vendors are moving right along, apparently paying no attention to that, and more importantly, apparently suffering no confirmed reported consequence for selecting a route contrary to it. If anyone can find any engine failures as a result of deviating from the advice in the links which you posted, well then let them provide links to them in another thread. However I doubt that will be a very long thread.

This thread however is well documented and the research has been done on it and the leg work put into it.

There is nothing here for you either, so you may as well go elsewhere.

OK guys, who's next for the listing???

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?