Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 07:25 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Pat
PRC 265 heads w/stainless solid exhaust valves
Originally Posted by ZedNought6
WCCH stage II with SS exhaust valve. Forgot to ask about the OEM heads as I to eager to drive the car after the build. I have asked the shop for that information and will update when (If) they respond.
Welcome aboard friends.

And a strange coincidence as it were.

With the addition of forum member LT1Pat, the number goes to "306".

Rhymes with "Z06".

And at the same time that forum member "ZedNought6" posts up.

And so it is, that the "306" member has PRC heads.

A good omen for those who are partial to those heads.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by propain
You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

As far as big HP applications no question you will want to go with SS valves. Also if you were to go with forced induction you would also want to use SS valves. In the huge HP applications I don't believe you would want to use bronze guides though. Maybe you could pick this guys brain. I am curious what guide material he uses.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-58-220-a.html

Katech seems to find the OEM valves work just fine in their NA builds. 650ish HP.

http://www.katechengines.com/perform...hicles/c6-z06/

In this thread we are mostly talking about stock alternatives or adding a light cam and tune. In those cases I disagree with your assessment about SS valves being the way to go. Maybe you have a really good reason. I'm all ears.
The most I would want to put down on the Z would be 600-650 to the wheels. I won't go FI route on the Z, that's what my G8 is for. I'm looking for the best option for the price and for my application. Judging from this thread, SS valve route would be the BEST option.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Rupert pupkin
The most I would want to put down on the Z would be 600-650 to the wheels. I won't go FI route on the Z, that's what my G8 is for. I'm looking for the best option for the price and for my application. Judging from this thread, SS valve route would be the BEST option.
Again, you continue to say its the best option but fail to qualify it.

Please do.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

My friends;

I gave us all ample time and space to debate over the last day or so, and I myself may have participated.

We all managed to have a mad minute and get a few things off of each of our respective chests, and make points that we perhaps had not been able to make in the past as a result of the acquisition of new information, and the introduction of new parts. The new Ferrea valves come to mind.

However again, it is with utmost respect, and the respect that I have for my fellow forum members, and the respect that they deserve, even those with whom I sometimes disagree, that I have to ask that we move the actual "debate" portion of this matter outside of this thread at this time, and allow the thread to continue along it's intended course.

Thank you again, for your assistance, and co operation in this matter.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
My friends;

I gave us all ample time and space to debate over the last day or so, and I myself may have participated.

We all managed to have a mad minute and get a few things off of each of our respective chests, and make points that we perhaps had not been able to make in the past as a result of the acquisition of new information, and the introduction of new parts. The new Ferrea valves come to mind.

However again, it is with utmost respect, and the respect that I have for my fellow forum members, and the respect that they deserve, even those with whom I sometimes disagree, that I have to ask that we move the actual "debate" portion of this matter outside of this thread at this time, and allow the thread to continue along it's intended course.

Thank you again, for your assistance, and co operation in this matter.

Point taken

Congrats to new members !!!

DH
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by propain
Again, you continue to say its the best option but fail to qualify it.

Please do.
Best is merely dependent on what the person would want to get out of it. So if the form fits it's function, and judging from this thread, it clearly does. So yes it is the BEST option for me, because I need it to do what's intended. What would your definition or qualification for "BEST" would be?

Last edited by Rupert pupkin; 11-14-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Best is merely dependent on what the person would want to get out of it. So if the form fits it's function, and judging from this thread, it clearly does. So yes it is the BEST option for me, because I need it to do what's intended. What would your definition or qualification for "BEST" would be?
Best does not mean the only solution that was available at the time. We've since received two more alternatives, titanium and Ferrea hollow stems.

And I think the lighter the valve, the better. So solid SS is hardly the best option currently available.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
Rupert pupkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by EViL427
Best does not mean the only solution that was available at the time. We've since received two more alternatives, titanium and Ferrea hollow stems.

And I think the lighter the valve, the better. So solid SS is hardly the best option currently available.

Which is true, there are different options. As long as there's a solution, then all the forum members can decide whichever route they want to make. I have done my research, and contacted 5 multiple speed shops and all of them had recommended going this route.

Continue on Quick.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,677 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Which is true, there are different options. As long as there's a solution, then all the forum members can decide whichever route they want to make. I have done my research, and contacted 5 multiple speed shops and all of them had recommended going this route.

Continue on Quick.
And 9 out out of 10 doctors surveyed recommended chewing Trident. The key thing to note is "doctors surveyed". How many were surveyed? Because my dentist flat out does not recommended any gum chewing at all.

You forgot to delete the "5" when you wrote multiple. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of speed shops in the country. One of the most reputable shops, the one that built the engines for the C5R and whose head design was the basis for the newer generation LS engines, recommends otherwise.

Those other speed shops had no alternatives for a long time, so why would they recommend something they haven't tried?
Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Put me down as another SS exhaust valve user. I bought the car in October and took the car to Synergy Motorsports to have them do the wiggle test. Then, before they got started I called Rick and told him to just go ahead and pull the heads to rebuild them. So, they pulled them, sent them to where ever they send them, had new guides and valves installed, no head work. Got the car back, and man what a difference.

Car is all stock except a drop in K&N filter and some tuning.

#'s before tune were 453hp@5895 437tq@5005
#'s after tune were 490hp@5929 472tq@5051
Old 12-22-2013, 06:04 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by chetly
Put me down as another SS exhaust valve user. I bought the car in October and took the car to Synergy Motorsports to have them do the wiggle test. Then, before they got started I called Rick and told him to just go ahead and pull the heads to rebuild them. So, they pulled them, sent them to where ever they send them, had new guides and valves installed, no head work. Got the car back, and man what a difference.

Car is all stock except a drop in K&N filter and some tuning.

#'s before tune were 453hp@5895 437tq@5005
#'s after tune were 490hp@5929 472tq@5051

Done.

Feels good to put this matter behind you, doesn't it?

What year is your car BTW?

Thanks

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 12-22-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:09 PM
ctsv510
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put me down as another SS exhaust valve user. I bought the car in October and took the car to Synergy Motorsports to have them do the wiggle test. Then, before they got started I called Rick and told him to just go ahead and pull the heads to rebuild them.
Did they check the guides at all to see if they were out of spec after they got them off? Or you didn't even want to know?
Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

car is an '07 with 62k miles.

It does feel better having them done. Like others, I can afford the $1250 for the head work, but not the $15,000 for a new motor.

I didn't bother having them check the clearances. I did ask if the guys they send em to checked. His response was, they used to check just to see but after getting so many that were bad, they stopped checking and just went to work.

Last edited by chetly; 12-22-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:21 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

It does feel better having them done. Like others, I can afford the $1250 for the head work, but not the $15,000 for a new motor.

I didn't bother having them check the clearances. I did ask if the guys they send em to checked. His response was, they used to check just to see but after getting so many that were bad, they stopped checking and just went to work.

Understandable.

With 62K miles on them, probably not even worth the time or effort to check 'em.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:40 PM
propain
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Checking is simply a waste of time if you already have them doing the job and therefor a waste of money for them. Of course they would not want to.

07 with 62K miles I would said you were probably fine but whatever helps you sleep at night.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:41 PM
TT32VGT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got 3k miles or so on my ss valves(wcch st2-stock compression)
making 615rwhp/565rwtq(all motor) and have made prob30 passes.. everything great..
Old 03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Local racing buddy is having Richard add SS exhaust valves to his stock LS7 after having guide clearances over .005, failing the wiggle test badly. He had less than 20K miles.

I will try and get him to post up here.

DH

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 03-01-2014, 06:37 PM
Cidz06
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm waiting on VR/WCCH Stage 2 to be shipped out with solid stainless exhaust valves and doing a cam swap. I am the second owner 2006 with 19k.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:49 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Local racing buddy is having Richard add SS exhaust valves to his stock LS7 after having guide clearances over .005, failing the wiggle test badly. He had less than 20K miles.

I will try and get him to post up here.

DH
Sounds like you mean me Howie ... will post up with complete details as soon as I get them... Was out of town last month, and as you know, was on the fence on which way to go once I got the warranty replaced heads, but finally went the SS route with Richard at WCCH ... will follow up shortly with all info, slated to get car back Weds or so.

2007, 19k miles... valves were Way IN SPEC some 7 months and 3k miles/5 track days ago Figured I should check again after Mike's blown motor at ACS! Glad I did!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:00 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Evolution-ary
Sounds like you mean me Howie ... will post up with complete details as soon as I get them... Was out of town last month, and as you know, was on the fence on which way to go once I got the warranty replaced heads, but finally went the SS route with Richard at WCCH ... will follow up shortly with all info, slated to get car back Weds or so.

2007, 19k miles... valves were Way IN SPEC some 7 months and 3k miles/5 track days ago Figured I should check again after Mike's blown motor at ACS! Glad I did!

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?