Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by LT5 John
Great idea Ricky...
Well, I appreciate the compliments and words of encouragement guys, but when you really get down to it, it only makes sense.

If your goal, or part of it, is the management of this issue, well then its your money and so you ought to have a hand and an active say in it.

If you want the option of going with a stronger than stock exhaust valve in your car, well then it helps to know whom to call to do that.

And we have plenty of capable shops and vendors, right in here, thank goodness.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:57 AM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I never realized Lethal offered solid SS valves or Ferrea valves in these heads as an option for normally aspirated applications.

But I will add them.

Thanks.

Also, while you are here, I want to thank you for breaking new ground in this whole matter, by going with the new Ferreas.

Best of luck and nothing but success.

In a few days, I'll add the information to the first post in the thread.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
No problem. Happy to bring some fresh perspective.

Shawn David (and Randy) installed them in my heads while he was at Ragin' Racin'. He continues that tradition now that he has his own company. I would have left everything alone if not for the timing of the lifter failure and the Katech Spintron data. I frequently run the car to redline, and the car is in pieces, so now is the perfect opportunity to test the theory and try something different.

Last edited by VetteVinnie; 07-26-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:13 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by OJCrush08
Yes, it is a great idea. I also want to point out that some of us (myself included) find it both interesting and educational to go directly to the cylinder head shop and work out with them a configuration deemed best for their needs.

at the end of the day either a cylinder head shop or vendor that specializes in working on these cars (as in the list here)

The rest of these debates now are pointless and serve no purpose but to keep spinning in circles and then personally attacking everyone. I wonder if it will EVER end...I doubt it.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankTank

at the end of the day either a cylinder head shop or vendor that specializes in working on these cars (as in the list here)

The rest of these debates now are pointless and serve no purpose but to keep spinning in circles and then personally attacking everyone. I wonder if it will EVER end...I doubt it.
That's why I liked your idea of the sticky for the issue!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

you're absolutely right Frank.

It's the reason why I've taken a much softer line on this matter than I once did.

After awhile, it becomes not only circular, but divisive, and at the end of the day, nothing's been accomplished.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by FSTFRC
That's why I liked your idea of the sticky for the issue!
you're absolutely right Frank.

It's the reason why I've taken a much softer line on this matter than I once did.

After awhile, it becomes not only circular, but divisive, and at the end of the day, nothing's been accomplished.
and you can tell by the panic type responses my suggestion got that many just like to debate for the sake of debating and arguing just to argue. Now that the spintron results are out, and we see what all the different shops recommend, it's time for people if they want to take action, go directly to WCCH, Katech or whomever they want to figure out what they want to do, vs trying to solve something or figuring out something here on this forum to which their will never be a clear answer to...unless someone is rich and has time and money to burn and wants to start a whole series of tests to obtain further data, the issue is not going to shed any new information you could come back here 5 years from now and it will be the same circle debate and nothing new
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

and you can tell by the panic type responses my suggestion got that many just like to debate for the sake of debating and arguing just to argue. Now that the spintron results are out, and we see what all the different shops recommend, it's time for people if they want to take action, go directly to WCCH, Katech or whomever they want to figure out what they want to do, vs trying to solve something or figuring out something here on this forum to which their will never be a clear answer to...unless someone is rich and has time and money to burn and wants to start a whole series of tests to obtain further data, the issue is not going to shed any new information you could come back here 5 years from now and it will be the same circle debate and nothing new
Old 07-26-2013, 04:20 PM
cdngolfer
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

3 weeks go I had my heads done and added SS exhaust valves and double springs as a preventative measure. Had 21,000 miles on my 08Z. Added a custom cam and LS9R clutch with Tick MC at the same time.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:51 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Ricky, forgot Howard Tanner at Redline Motorsports. Also David White who use to work closely with Howard at Redline Motorsports West also uses them
Old 08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I see you are still updating the list.......I just picked up my 2007 Z this weekend from Abel Chevrolet; the heads were sent off to WCCH. Motor seems to sound the same (sewing machine) if not a touch louder, but can't really tell. Will update when I run my first track date post-valve work later next month.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:31 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I see you are still updating the list.......I just picked up my 2007 Z this weekend from Abel Chevrolet; the heads were sent off to WCCH. Motor seems to sound the same (sewing machine) if not a touch louder, but can't really tell. Will update when I run my first track date post-valve work later next month.
Yes, it is still being updated.

Congrats on the work, and let us know how you come out.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for adding me to the list! -From Colorado
Old 10-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Thanks for keeping the list going

How come I can't find YOU on there ??

** Never mind, I just found the "#" list below the alphabeticals**
I couldn' find you under "Z" for zero (0), "Q" for quick, "R" for Ricky .......... I even looked under "P" for pain in the butt !!!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 10-22-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:44 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes, it is still being updated.

Congrats on the work, and let us know how you come out.
Just completed my second track day yesterday.....car runs well so happy with how this came out. Hope this takes care of the potential issue, but the important thing is that I am not worrying about the engine now and just focusing on making myself a better driver.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Thanks for keeping the list going

How come I can't find YOU on there ??

** Never mind, I just found the "#" list below the alphabeticals**
I couldn' find you under "Z" for zero (0), "Q" for quick, "R" for Ricky .......... I even looked under "P" for pain in the butt !!!!

DH
Good one Howie.

Originally Posted by Despicable Z
Thanks for adding me to the list! -From Colorado
Absolutely.

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Just completed my second track day yesterday.....car runs well so happy with how this came out. Hope this takes care of the potential issue, but the important thing is that I am not worrying about the engine now and just focusing on making myself a better driver.

You just nailed it Harry.

It's the peace of mind. You now have confidence in your equipment that you didn't have before. That is a tremendous asset. It's out of your mind now.

Even though some would try and reintroduce into your head, by telling you that "it aint a fix" and such, trying to convince you that you are at no less risk for failure than you were before, and going on about valve bounce and such.

But the dearth of failures among this group, a group which counts you amongst it's rolls, is something that you can hang your hat on.

It's the knowing that you are no more at risk now than what you "ought" to be.

Or better put, no more at risk than your other C6 brothers and sisters.

Before, when it came to the prospect of an engine failure, you were walking point.

If anybody's motor popped, it was going to be yours before anyone else's.

It was your motor with the bullseye on it. It was your motor with the crosshairs on it.

No more. No more.

Now, you are at no more risk for a catastrophe than is any LS2 or LS3 owner.

You run the same exhaust valves that they run.

I don't mind "risk", and I understand that things happen. Any motor can pop. A brand new motor can pop.

But I don't want to assume more than my "fair share" of risk for a catastrophic failure.

And that's what I was doing before I acted.

I was assuming way more risk than everyone else with a C6.

I don't see that as being an equitable arrangement.

Just because I bought a Z06, doesn't mean that I should be at more risk of a popped motor than my neighbor who bought a Grand Sport.

I don't want to assume any more risk of a catastrophic failure than he does, and I ought not have to.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 10-22-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:10 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You can add me to the SS exaust valve list.

Done by WCCH after a ton of research and having worn out guides at 20K.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by blkbrd69
You can add me to the SS exaust valve list.

Done by WCCH after a ton of research and having worn out guides at 20K.

Will do.

Sorry to hear that your stock guides were gone at 20K miles

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:11 PM
mariofromnewyork
Late Model Domestics
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Put me on the infamous list.

WCCH, SS Valves.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM
JW7676
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS Valves
Old 10-23-2013, 11:36 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mariofromnewyork
Put me on the infamous list.

WCCH, SS Valves.
You've been on it since shortly after you mentioned that you had the above work done Mario.

So actually, you've been on it for days.

People are taking steps to protect themselves from valve issues in their LS7s.

Originally Posted by JW7676
SS Valves
Let me make sure that I follow you JW.

Are you saying that you have solid stemmed stainless steel exhaust valves, or other non stock exhaust valves in your LS7 heads?

If you do, well then I will add you to "The Registry" of LS7 owners on the CorvetteForum, who do.

As you can see, the listing is approaching 300 LS7 owning members in here.

These members have experienced, and continue to enjoy, tremendous success in avoidance of stock hollow stemmed LS7 valve breakage, and valve head separation issues, which has claimed, and continues to claim, several LS7 engines amongst our membership.

If you look at the first postings in the thread, you can get a feel for where we were when the members with SS valves were initially being identified, to where we are now.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?