Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 09:17 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh, and this is proof how slow these SS valves rev...

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/paul...er700.flv.html

Just ridiculous ain't it! Hahahaha
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM
FSTFRC
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MTIRC6Z
Great job Ricki.

What would also be interesting is a list of the 29,700+ guys who haven't fixed their heads

Cheers, Paul.
Paul,

Those are on the old list he used to maintain (LS7's that blew up). Maybe you could use that list to start subtracting from that 29,700 guys who have not had problems... Then come up with a factor for everyone who does not log their problems on this forum

cheers...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Oh, and this is proof how slow these SS valves rev...

http://s27.photobucket.com/user/paul...er700.flv.html

Just ridiculous ain't it! Hahahaha
I always got a kick out of that, even though you don't see that argument made much now.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM
lsx427z
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have done a set of Brodix heads and factory castings from Rich @ WCCH. Both set-ups were with bronze/ti/st. Both cars are animals. Reckart Performance here in Austin and a Vendor on here has done at least 10 sets or more. All his sets were done by Rich @ WCCH with the standard set-up. All the cars run great and make good power. 90% of them have been done with a Katech 116 or 110. Both of my set ups were on the 110, fast, header etc...
Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
FRDnemesis
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default got my heads back

Just got my heads back from WCCH.

factory guides were "SHOT" at just shy of 18k miles.
Car has Never been on a track.

Heads still have factory intake valves. Now have SS exhaust valves and bronze guides.

I dissambled my heads before shipping them and kept the exhaust valves.

Car should be running in the next few weeks.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FRDnemesis

Heads still have factory intake valves. Now have SS exhaust valves and bronze guides.

Very small percentage of valve machining errors my ***!! The list goes on and on. What a joke
Old 05-21-2013, 07:58 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Originally Posted by ramairws6
Very small percentage of valve machining errors my ***!! The list goes on and on. What a joke
Old 05-21-2013, 07:59 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

anyway you could post pictures of the valve stems?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Add me to the list. Just got my ss valves and bronze Che guides installed by rpm.
Engine had 11,200 miles. 8 track days, and I had 4 guides that were "trashed".

Last edited by Mike.D; 05-21-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:04 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by savaGe
Add me to the list. Just got my ss valves and bronze Che guides installed by rpm.
Okay Mike, its safe to bring back out to the track. Hope you can make WSIR on June 1

DH
Old 05-22-2013, 07:42 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by savaGe

You two bring the total in here to 230.

Congrats on the both of of you for avoiding disaster, and just in the nick of time.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:07 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm contemplating this. I would have Chad pull my heads since I'm an hour from him and ship them off to WCCH for bronze guides. Heads are 2013 with only 2,500 miles on them stock parts. I want to see what the katech valve train testing shows
Old 05-22-2013, 09:52 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
I'm contemplating this. I would have Chad pull my heads since I'm an hour from him and ship them off to WCCH for bronze guides. Heads are 2013 with only 2,500 miles on them stock parts. I want to see what the katech valve train testing shows
If you've been following this matter, you can get an inkling as to how that test is going to come out.

It will come down to how much safety margin over the 7K redline one has with either setup, before valve bounce is experienced.

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
If reliability is your key concern, the question you must ask of your shop is if they validated the valvetrain package on a Spintron. We use our Optron, which was invented by Katech and became the Spintron, to validate the valvetrain. We have a "buck" which is a block with a whole cut in the side of one of the cylinders. The engine has a dummy crank with no bobweights, pistons, or connecting rods. An electric motor drives the buck and spins the valvetrain. We put a laser in the hole in the side and point it at the valves. The valve movement is plotted out on a computer and we can look for valve bounce or loft. Valvetrain limiting speeds are determined and packages are developed with a healthy safety margin above redline. This is how we win 24 hour races. This is how none of our customers are complaining of LS7 failures.
The only way to truly answer this question is to put the combination on the Optron/Spintron and see what the valvetrain dynamics are like at 7300rpm and above. A little bit of float is okay. Bounce is a killer.

I wish it worked that way where I could just plug in numbers and give you an answer, but every specific combination needs to be tested and evaluated. I can guess that a valve up to 89g will be too heavy and leave no safety margin above redline. Our combination is stable to about 7800rpm. We always look for around at least 800rpm of margin above redline.
My bet is that they do not find any setup other than their own setups, (torquer with stock valves and their springs, and torquer with their Ti exhaust valves and their springs) and the stock setup, which will yield as much as an 800 RPM safety margin above the 7K redline.

Now the question you have to ask yourself, is based on the way you drive, and your plans for your car, do you need a margin of error that big?

And if you don't need that kind of safety margin, then is it worth the risk of trading off the more durable solid stemmed valve for the stock valves and having one of the stock valve heads break off?

BTW, already in the below video, using HPT scanning software, we have seen a set of WCCH heads with solid stemmed valves in them at better than 7300 RPM.

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
I think it dyno'd at 535-540 .

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Video came from GoPro HD 2 with external mic placed in interior.
Data came from my HP Tuners Pro data log for the run, exported into a csv file.
The gauge overlay comes courtesy of the RaceRender 2 software.
I use RaceRender 2 primarily for my roadracing/HPDE video's but it can be used to make any type of gauge overlay, which you then assign to a data field in your csv export.

Doing the video like I did above answers people's questions regarding launch RPM, shift points, etc.
The video showed me a few things.

First off if you look at the tachometer readings, the maximum RPM reached appears to be 7303 RPM at 0:36 seconds, 7301 RPM at 0:39, 7267 RPM at 0:43 of the video.

Now, what it's doing above that, and/or whether he would get valve bounce above that, I don't know. But I probably won't be driving my own car any harder than what he is in the video.

And then of course, there is this guy. If you think you're going to need more of a safety margin above redline than he does, then by all means, act accordingly. Good luck

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...woot-woot.html

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-22-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
[...] My bet is that they do not find any setup other than their own setups, (torquer with stock valves and their springs, and torquer with their Ti exhaust valves and their springs) and the stock setup, which will yield as much as an 800 RPM safety margin above the 7K redline. [...]
Wow... I was sure that the conspiracy theories from this group would be fast and furious if the testing did not validate The Fix, but I am surprised that pre-emptive strikes are being launched

Originally Posted by ramairws6 today, in another thread
Originally Posted by forg0tmypen
Man Im on pins and needles. Did #6 go as you expected or were you surprised that it was more stable than previously thought?
Hehehe, what do you think is the answer!?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
Rock36
Burning Brakes

And if you don't need that kind of safety margin, then is it worth the risk of trading off the more durable solid stemmed valve for the stock valves and having one of the stock valve heads break off?
BTW, already in the below video, using HPT scanning software, we have seen a set of WCCH heads with solid stemmed valves in them at better than 7300 RPM.
Would it really matter if you had to set your redline at 6800 rpm if your car never sees north of 6500 rpm anyway? Especially if guide wear and valve failure is mitigated by the solid valves? Is 7000 just a magical number for bragging? Any cam modification, for example, would more than offset the loss of performance from sacrificing a few hundred rpm.

I guess we will see, the test results are almost done anyway.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:49 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Wow... I was sure that the conspiracy theories from this group would be fast and furious if the testing did not validate The Fix, but I am surprised that pre-emptive strikes are being launched
Your posts and the ideas reflected in them indicate that your arrogance is only surpassed by your ignorance.

The following comes from a man who is already laying the groundwork for his "concession speech".

However, as is common the argument of others has been mischaracterized by those who are unable to validate their claims. That the heavy solid valve can be made to work is not in dispute; the reason for using it is.
He's already hedging his bet on what he will say, when/if that testing shows solid stainless valves in any sort of favorable light.

However, as is common the argument of others has been mischaracterized by those who are unable to validate their claims. That the heavy solid valve can be made to work is not in dispute; the reason for using it is.
Nothing has been "mischaracterized" about the arguments of those like yourself.

You said, what you said, and it is documented right here on this forum. And I am more than capable of digging it out.

$#** about "slaughtering redlines" and other nonsense.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-22-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:07 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rock36
Would it really matter if you had to set your redline at 6800 rpm if your car never sees north of 6500 rpm anyway? Especially if guide wear and valve failure is mitigated by the solid valves? Is 7000 just a magical number for bragging? Any cam modification, for example, would more than offset the loss of performance from sacrificing a few hundred rpm.

I guess we will see, the test results are almost done anyway.
That's part of my point.

Well, that and the fact some never even see 7K, and so have no need to worry about "accidentally" hitting 7.8K.

But if you notice, some of them are the ones doing most of the arguing.

But on a serious note, many already shift shy of an indicated 7K when drag racing so as not to hit the rev limiter.

Still others on the road course do as well.

Howwever an inadvertent manual overrev could result in a catastrophe, and if you are driving aggressively enough, or badly or poorly enough, whichever is the case, to need an 800 RPM cushion against failure, due to valve bounce, well then by all means go with a setup which is going to give you that kind of cushion.

However I don't think that my car will ever see 7800 RPM.

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Problem is, Quick, that I've never said a heavy valve can't be made to work (despite your attempts to re-write history), while you have repeatedly said that it will work.

So I can't be wrong however the testing comes out; you, on the other hand, have not carved yourself out such a prudent, informed position. Ergo the pre-emptive strikes we're seeing (which are going to look foolish if #6 passes with flying colors ).

Carry on, and . . . . . good luck
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Problem is, Quick, that I've never said a heavy valve can't be made to work (despite your attempts to re-write history), while you have repeatedly said that it will work.

So I can't be wrong however the testing comes out; you, on the other hand, have not carved yourself out such a prudent, informed position. Ergo the pre-emptive strikes we're seeing (which are going to look foolish if #6 passes with flying colors ).

Carry on, and . . . . . good luck
You still don't get it.

I don't especially care how the testing turns out.

There are too many real world examples of success in here. Inside and outside of this thread.

Too many success stories.

So if any testing comes back which says that these setups "won't work" and that "bad things will happen if you do it", then someone is going to have to explain why it has worked for several years, in better than 30 states, Europe and Canada, and in over 200 cars, and no bad things have happened.

And it won't be us who will need to explain that.

"Predicting", and after the fact no less, that these setups "won't work", when they already have for years now, and continue to work, is not a position I would like to have to explain.

And trying to explain it away as "luck", and "bad juju is just around the corner if you keep doing it", won't get it either when there already is an 8 second car in here running in this configuration, along with 9 second cars, and several 10 second cars.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 05-22-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

[...] However I don't think that my car will ever see 7800 RPM.
Ya think those valve springs keep the same, like-new tension forever?

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?