Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:33 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Svre46
It is official for me! Car is at Speed Inc. now getting the heads worked. I have been waiting a few weeks for the appointment. Hopefully I will have my car back tomorrow or Friday. Can’t wait to get her out this weekend for some fun all the way to redline!
Alright Svre46. Congrats on the new heads and the new confidence in your vehicle.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 AM
JwT
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I forgot to mention my Texas Speed PRC's I had installed a few months ago. 2007 Z with 69k miles. Best move I've ever made. Another dropped valve on the forum today. I just don't get it, why would Z owners not get this done.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JwT
I forgot to mention my Texas Speed PRC's I had installed a few months ago. 2007 Z with 69k miles. Best move I've ever made. Another dropped valve on the forum today. I just don't get it, why would Z owners not get this done.
Lots of reasons why JwT.

1. Some are still in warranty.

2. Some of these cars are not paid for and some of these people in here are actually upside down on these cars.

Hard to justify spending the dough on this, in a car which you already owe money on, or which you may owe more money on than it is worth, especially if it is a garage queen, weekend cruiser, and at minimal risk for a dropped valve anyway, based on how you drive it.

3. Some have no intentions of keeping the car, and will likely trade it in on something else in the near future.

4. Some look at the car the same way as they look at any of the other vehicles in their garages. When it is out of warranty, then I'll get rid of it, is the approach they take. Or if they financed it, they will trade it in on something else, long before it is paid off. Or even if the car is paid for, they may take the same approach. Out of warranty, then out it goes, and I'll pick up something else. Perhaps a C7, or a GT-R.

5. Some of these cars are leased.

6. Some over paid for these cars, or if not overpaid, stretched to get them, and resent hearing, and refuse to believe, that the car they bought might have a flaw in it's valve train, and thus see any talk to that effect as potentially further devaluing their property. They direct their ire toward's anyone whom they perceive as reinforcing such beliefs.

7. Some owners simply aren't convinced that there is a problem, or if there is one, that the valves themselves have absolutely no culpability in that which has come to be known as the LS7 valve train issue.

8. Money is tight right now for many in this country. Spending more of it on an item which is a luxury item to begin with, a Corvette Z06, one of the most powerful sports cars in the world, and for a problem which may or may not hit them, and which some in here say will never hit them, some of them from the "big shop with the big GM contract", say is unlikely to hit them, is an expense that many Americans who already have tuition, alimony and taxes to cover, simply cannot justify. People typically do not buy "insurance" if they cannot afford it. For proof of this, look at all of the uninsured motorists out there.

9. It's not hard to convince those who cannot afford insurance, or who don't want to pay for it, that they don't need it. As such, anybody telling them that this is a minor problem, and that there is no need to be concerned, is speaking their language.

10. Solid stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides, are not for everybody, any more than are OEM hollow stemmed valves and powdered metal valve guides are for everybody. Some simply do not need to go this route. This is the reason why talk of "crusades" to get others to go this route, amounts to utter nonsense.

People will have to make up their own minds as to if this particular modification is for them, or not, and go from there.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-03-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:15 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JwT
Get what done? Replace their heads with Texas Speed PRC's? Replace their valves with solid stainless?

It appears that many or most here are getting their guide wear checked, so I don't get the
Old 04-03-2013, 12:17 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark200X
Get what done?
Replace the valves and the guides like I did almost 15K trouble-free miles ago. Have you been living under a rock?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:39 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by EViL427
Replace the valves and the guides like I did almost 15K trouble-free miles ago. Have you been living under a rock?
Should one check for guide wear beforehand, or would that be ignorant too?

Any particular reason that you chose not to respond to the portion of my question relating to components to be used in this rebuild that JwT can't understand is not being universally undertaken? Is it your -- and his -- contention that all LS7 owners should rebuild their heads with bronze guides and solid stem exhaust valves?
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM
VetteVinnie
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Should one check for guide wear beforehand, or would that be ignorant too?

Any particular reason that you chose not to respond to the portion of my question relating to components to be used in this rebuild that JwT can't understand is not being universally undertaken? Is it your -- and his -- contention that all LS7 owners should rebuild their heads with bronze guides and solid stem exhaust valves?
My contention is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Katech is even producing a Titanium valve for those worried about heavy SS valves (I'm not - Super Alloy is working just fine for me).

I could care less about this rebuild. I was only supplying information from my own personal experience. You (and whomever) can do whatever you want. Apparently only a small percentage of cars are even susceptible to the guide wear as per GM, so roll the dice and take your chances that you are not one of them if you so choose.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

My contention is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Katech is even producing a Titanium valve for those worried about heavy SS valves (I'm not - Super Alloy is working just fine for me).

I could care less about this rebuild. I was only supplying information from my own personal experience. You (and whomever) can do whatever you want. Apparently only a small percentage of cars are even susceptible to the guide wear as per GM, so roll the dice and take your chances that you are not one of them if you so choose.
Too late for that.

He already is one of them.

He stated earlier that he has discovered that his #4 exhaust guide is way out of spec.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:49 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't take advice from a shop that's suppose to be an expert at heads and what valves to use but subs that work out......I'll stick with SS valves that the guy who actually does the work recommends
Old 04-03-2013, 03:13 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

My contention is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. [...]
Fair enough. That's why I have runflats on my car

[...] Apparently only a small percentage of cars are even susceptible to the guide wear as per GM, so roll the dice and take your chances that you are not one of them if you so choose.
Well, to set the record straight I encourage everyone to check for guide wear. Routinely. It appears to be your, and others, position that checking guide wear is pointless; rather the heads should be rebuilt with aftermarket parts of a different design regardless. That ounce -- or should I say 98 grams -- of prevention. . . .
Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Fair enough. That's why I have runflats on my car

Well, to set the record straight I encourage everyone to check for guide wear. Routinely. It appears to be your, and others, position that checking guide wear is pointless; rather the heads should be rebuilt with aftermarket parts of a different design regardless. That ounce -- or should I say 98 grams -- of prevention. . . .
Go ahead and "encourage" on.

A lot of what you are saying, will still fall on deaf ears, and as evidenced by this very thread, there are plenty of people who either don't hear, or don't care what you are "encouraging" because they aren't interested in what you are advocating.

Not "everyone" is interested in checking for guide wear, and clearly want the stock components, which have failed time and again, on both stock and modified cars, out of their own cars, whether currently in or out of spec, depending upon their plans for modification or plans for use, or both.

Not "everyone" wants to run the stock heads, no matter whether or not they have guide wear.

And if they choose not to, then that is their prerogative and is independent of whether or not their guides are currently in spec.

A set of stock heads which just so happen to be in spec at the time they were checked, don't mean much to those seriously looking to prevent a dropped stock exhaust valve, like so many others before them.

If I'm planning on modding and/or racing my car, then there is no way I'm sticking with the stock parts. I don't give a damn whether they're in spec or not, seeing all of the stock failures in here.

Anybody else wanting to take that risk, is free to do so.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 04-03-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:48 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes he has..with that said I passed you I'm at 21k now

Last edited by z0sicktanner; 04-03-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Chad, I only have 4500 (only been on a couple of months) on mine but will pass you like a dead snail down the road Oh, and 3 track days too

Ricky, post up the list so guys can check to see if they are accounted for

DH
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM
z0sicktanner
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Chad, I only have 4500 (only been on a couple of months) on mine but will pass you like a dead snail down the road Oh, and 3 track days too

DH
you sure will in about 8 months time or sooner
Old 04-03-2013, 05:16 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by z0sicktanner
Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
Wow, you guys are running up the miles in those warm weather climates, while everyone else is freezing their asses off and driving when they can.

Yes, Howie, the list is on page 1 of the thread.

There are 202 forum members on it now, and that tells me that there are no doubt more that I have not accounted for in here.

Many of those on that listing, did this years ago.

It is important to note that, because it shows that this method isn't something which just sprang up overnight.

People have time, street mileage, track time and track mileage on these setups.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Wow, you guys are running up the miles in those warm weather climates, while everyone else is freezing their asses off and driving when they can.

Yes, Howie, the list is on page 1 of the thread.

There are 202 forum members on it now, and that tells me that there are no doubt more that I have not accounted for in here.

Many of those on that listing, did this years ago.

It is important to note that, because it shows that this method isn't something which just sprang up overnight.

People have time, street mileage, track time and track mileage on these setups.
How the hell am I supposed to know to look at the OP

Wow, really nice job Ricky!!!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 04-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:08 PM
ramairws6
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Lots of reasons why JwT.

1. Some are still in warranty.

2. Some of these cars are not paid for and some of these people in here are actually upside down on these cars.

Hard to justify spending the dough on this, in a car which you already owe money on, or which you may owe more money on than it is worth, especially if it is a garage queen, weekend cruiser, and at minimal risk for a dropped valve anyway, based on how you drive it.

3. Some have no intentions of keeping the car, and will likely trade it in on something else in the near future.

4. Some look at the car the same way as they look at any of the other vehicles in their garages. When it is out of warranty, then I'll get rid of it, is the approach they take. Or if they financed it, they will trade it in on something else, long before it is paid off. Or even if the car is paid for, they may take the same approach. Out of warranty, then out it goes, and I'll pick up something else. Perhaps a C7, or a GT-R.

5. Some of these cars are leased.

6. Some over paid for these cars, or if not overpaid, stretched to get them, and resent hearing, and refuse to believe, that the car they bought might have a flaw in it's valve train, and thus see any talk to that effect as potentially further devaluing their property. They direct their ire toward's anyone whom they perceive as reinforcing such beliefs.

7. Some owners simply aren't convinced that there is a problem, or if there is one, that the valves themselves have absolutely no culpability in that which has come to be known as the LS7 valve train issue.

8. Money is tight right now for many in this country. Spending more of it on an item which is a luxury item to begin with, a Corvette Z06, one of the most powerful sports cars in the world, and for a problem which may or may not hit them, and which some in here say will never hit them, some of them from the "big shop with the big GM contract", say is unlikely to hit them, is an expense that many Americans who already have tuition, alimony and taxes to cover, simply cannot justify. People typically do not buy "insurance" if they cannot afford it. For proof of this, look at all of the uninsured motorists out there.

9. It's not hard to convince those who cannot afford insurance, or who don't want to pay for it, that they don't need it. As such, anybody telling them that this is a minor problem, and that there is no need to be concerned, is speaking their language.

10. Solid stainless steel exhaust valves and bronze guides, are not for everybody, any more than are OEM hollow stemmed valves and powdered metal valve guides are for everybody. Some simply do not need to go this route. This is the reason why talk of "crusades" to get others to go this route, amounts to utter nonsense.

People will have to make up their own minds as to if this particular modification is for them, or not, and go from there.
WOW...... couldn't have said it better myself!

Get notified of new replies

To How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?

Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ramairws6
WOW...... couldn't have said it better myself!
Few if any can

DH
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Go ahead and "encourage" on.

A lot of what you are saying, will still fall on deaf ears, and as evidenced by this very thread, there are plenty of people who either don't hear, or don't care what you are "encouraging" because they aren't interested in what you are advocating.[...]
To set the record straight, I'm advocating that one check their heads before overhauling them. Common sense being that it really makes no sense to overhaul something that is not worn out.

Altho I did notice in another thread that the factory guides -- probably the root cause of the issue in some fashion -- once deemed crap (at least by association) by this group seem to have been given a pardon, and only the factory exhaust valve remains on the Most Wanted list, a salty desperado to be shot on sight

Anyhoo, I was just checking to see if it was still this solid stem group's position that brand new heads with zero wear should be overhauled with heavy aftermarket valves (as JwT's post tended to imply). I see that it is, and that Fear Factor is still running strong in the ratings (or is this actually a re-run? ). That is all
Old 04-03-2013, 08:00 PM
LS9Drew
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Just because something isn't worn out at that moment in time doesn't mean it won't get worn out.

Quick Reply: [Z06] How Many Z06 Owners Are Running Solid Stainless Exhaust Valves?